Project ORAS Rarely Used Teambuilding Competition [Week 3 Voting]

Status
Not open for further replies.

alright, so here's my take on the core. when i first saw it, the most immediately pertinent application that came to mind was in a very simplistic trapper-sweeper core; meloetta is an inherent bait for the majority of the spdef steels that currently reside in the tier, and the ability to accumulate chip damage through u-turning out with sr up + pursuit damage can very easily set up a sweep for other pokemon (especially considering the fact that bronzong is arguably the most common). i chose a scarf set for meloetta, partially because the concept (i believe initially brought up by hikari) really interested me, being a very solid late-game cleaner vs.offense with some nice utility, and partially because i found that cores such as the one detailed here are oftentimes better off focusing primarily on the offensive match-up, outsourcing more particular defensive core-breaking to other team members. to this end, i chose sd m-abomasnow, who provides a reasonable breaker that also compresses a m-sceptile / m-pidgeot check into one teamslot, which benefits the remainder of the team nicely. cobalion and spdef gligar offer the team a maneuverable defensive backbone, soft-checking a fairly expansive array of threats in the short-term and providing switch advantage for the team's hard hitters to capitalize on. specs dragalgae is more-or-less the 'gluemon' of the team, providing a more comfortable scald and pinch sleep absorber, more accommodating fire-type sponge, and additional breaker to the team.

the team overall puts a significant focus on overloading steel-types, with the team's primary offensive battery (meloetta, m-aboma, and dragalgae) all more-or-less forcing them in to sponge hits, with houndoom (the 'offensive support') focusing on accruing chip on them through pursuit, and the defensive core pressuring them to an extent that they can force them out, gain momentum with their respective momentum-gaining move, and bring back in the appropriate strongmon to start the cycle anew. essentially, it plays as a voltturn team with nukes, ideally striving for an endgame from either abomasnow or meloetta, depending on the team match-up. handling fire birds can be a little dicey, which is ultimately why edge was tech'ed onto cobalion, but it isn't an impossible threat by any means here. this build also doesn't handle hard stall amazing well, but given how unwieldy such a playstyle is in the current metagame, i'm not overly swayed by this.

i hope you enjoyed, i love u all

Meloetta @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Def / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 30 Spe
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn
- Earthquake

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 184 HP / 120 Atk / 44 Def / 8 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Volt Switch
- Stone Edge

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 224 HP / 180 SpA / 40 SpD / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Pulse
- Sleep Talk

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus

Decided to give it a try this time. So seeing the core I decided to make a bold move and experiment with some sets. First we have meloetta, decided to go with the pirouette forme cause of its fantastic speed and attack stat with enough sheer force to get past stuff like alomomola, it is also the answer to panda and opposing dark types (freaking mega sharpedo). Moveset is pretty standard and max attack and speed to maximize the offensive potential. Then we have a houndoom with an interesting set I saw in the "The next best thing" thread, scarf houndoom. Moltres is definitely more suited to the task but I needed a scarfer that could still threaten stuff like m-sceptile and being able to kill it after it used substitute and general revenge killing with a good fire/dark stab combination, pursuit was added for a little of chip damage on switch-ins houndoom could force. Birds are inmediate problems for this core so I added a pretty excellent pivot in eelektross with offensive presence to OHKO the 3 bad birds. Mesprit was added to provide stealth rock support and because fighting types where also a big threat, also this is able to OHKO the bulkiest offensive dragalge with psyshock since this thing is such a threat. Added healing wish cause the team can get worn down pretty easily so having a second life for the partners is always nice. Since mesprit isnt a switch-in and mega sceptile is still a royal problem, also looking for a wallbreaker, choice band escavalier was added. A profficient wallbreaker that can switch into dragalge and m-sceptile (not as often without AV but still a decent switch-in). With a choice band escavalier is able to 2HKO the bulkiest of alomomolas and being able to deal with pretty much all the psychic types in the tier. While eelektross can check choice scarf moltres, life orb moltres is extremely threatening so I added a secondary check to it in kabutops and also providing rapid spin support so the team doesnt get worn down by hazards. And thats the team.

The team can have some troubles with water but should be able most of them with offensive pressure. Also, any comments and critics are absolutely welcome since I tend to overlook some stuff :[

Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Pursuit
- Flamethrower
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Knock Off
- Relic Song
- Close Combat

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain

Mesprit @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Psyshock
- Ice Beam
- Healing Wish

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Drill Run

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge

I like to learn from mistakes and feedback so, as said, any comment or observation would be absolutely appreciated. Also excuse the bad punctuation...

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
llamas forgot about this and there wasn't much activity anyways, but nominations are closed and voting is now open! 49 or MrAldo, who's gonna win? hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)