Metagame EFFECTIVE Creative / Underrated sets - NO BAD GIMMICKS, THEY WILL BE DELETED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

WILL2PAC ( Poliwrath ) @Sitrus Berry
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Encore/Brick Break

Say welcome to the new king of rain teams, everyone. BD Poliwrath is a very interesting, fun, and effective set up sweeper for several reasons.
The first reason that makes it legit as a Belly Drummer is Swift Swim, which double Poliwrath's speed in rain, making it hard to revenge kill.
Speaking of revenge killing this beast, its typing is exellent at taking priorities, as it resists Ice Shard, Aqua Jet, Bullet Punch and Sucker Punch, while being to no priority at all!
The 3rd reason is its access to Fast Encore ( due to swift swim ) , which allows Poliwrath to set up way more easily by blocking some pokemons into their moves, and as i said before, Poliwrath's typing is really helping you on that side, even if it's not an obligation to run it. It's still a nice tool.
Waterfall is your main STAB, boosted by the rain, KOing everything that doesn't resist it while being a bit defensive.
Ice Punch resists the main mons that will try to wall you: Grass Types. Both Gourgeist & Tangela will fall to a Ice Punch, unless full defense Tangela but who uses that?
Brick Break's main purpose is simple: not getting walled and thrown away by your opponent's own Poliwrath ( and immunities to Water, but the other sucks ). Otherwise it's STAB for sure, but still kinda useless.
I tried this out and i have to say, as gimmicky as it looks, it is hilarious! It requires a bit of support but if rain is up and it is +6 its basically gg. Sadly the most it usually gets is 3 or 4. I tried this with Rain Dance + Damp Rock + Memento Dusknoir and if you save it late game it really works (+ dusk kinda baits in garbodor and sneasel).

Anti-meta Kecleon (I did not invent this set but saw someone use it and like it)

Kecleon @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off / Sucker Punch
- Fake Out
- Thunder Punch

Thanks to ORAS (Knock Off / Drain Punch + Protean mostly) Kecleon has seen a huge surge in usage in the PU meta. With all the Kecleon usage its only natural that we see people trying to counter this mon with the likes of Pelipper, Poliwrath, Gougeist (except Knock Off), etc. That's where Thunder Punch comes in nicely and bops Pelipper and 2hkoes 252 Hp / 252 Def Poliwrath which can't KO in return since you will be electric type. The 48 speed is to outspeed 4 Speed base 45s (Marowak, Golem, Wigglytuff). Fake Out, Drain Punch and Knock Off are essential for coverage but if your team would benefit more from Sucker Punch then go for it.
This really cool, i never realised this got TPunch, although i have tried tbolt :x

the pu metagame has just been innovated more than ever before

Poliwrath @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Rain Dance
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast
- Ice Beam / Vacuum Wave

meet mantine 2.0 while it misses like every move ever, rain dance poliwrath is actually a really good sweeper. it's just as fast as mantine, and is a bit weaker, but it more than makes up for this with its powerful stab focus blast and its amazing typing. life orb poliwrath hits surprisingly hard, and it has solid coverage as well. vacuum wave lets you bop jolly scarf tauros, but i prefer ice beam for grass types. overall this is a surprisingly good set that a ton of teams are weak to, so i definitely recommend trying it out.
This is amazing. Its plays similar to rain dance mantine but its better as it can come in on pokes like sneasel, whilst not having a rock weakness and having a stronger secondary stab. It also functions well out of rain; baiting gourgeist and tangela. Its a really cool poke to build around and i advise everyone to use it!

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey, guys - I'm in the PU channel as 2xTheTap/RBYOnly/Today's Weather (many alts), and I've got a Garbodor set that I've been using to kill common defoggers in order to prevent my hazards from being removed. It's Thunderbolt Garbodor - with 36 EVs in special attack, it can OHKO common defensive Pelipper after stealth rock damage. With some speed EVs, it can also outspeed 252 spe, adamant Marowak and Golem by 2 points (and everything else that speed creeps that category by 1 point, like Poliwrath with 56 speed EVs or 190 speed total). Use it while you still can!

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet/Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 36 SpA / 20 Spe
Lax Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Thunderbolt
- Gunk Shot/Seed Bomb

Rocky Helmet and Gunk Shot are the preferences here, but Seed Bomb can be used to scare away Golem, while Black Sludge can be used for longevity. If WP Golem stays and uses stealth rock first turn (predicting that you switch), you outspeed and he's forced to sucker punch you for 42%-50% at +2 during the second turn.
Stat totals:
363 HP
226 Atk
276 Def
165 SAtk
180 SDef
191 Spe
Calcs:
vs Defoggers:

36 SpA Garbodor Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Pelipper: 244-288 (75.5 - 89.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
36 SpA Garbodor Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Swanna: 264-312 (90.7 - 107.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
36 SpA Garbodor Thunderbolt vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mantine: 136-164 (40.8 - 49.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
0 Atk Garbodor Gunk Shot vs. 248 HP / 160 Def Eviolite Togetic: 158-188 (50.4 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

vs Golem (252 adamant + WP):

0 Atk Garbodor Seed Bomb vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Golem: 180-212 (59.8 - 70.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Golem vs you (252 adamant + WP):

+2 252+ Atk Golem Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 204+ Def Garbodor: 155-183 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO

vs Carracosta (shell smash):

0 Atk Garbodor Seed Bomb vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Carracosta: 176-208 (60.6 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
36 SpA Garbodor Thunderbolt vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Carracosta: 130-154 (44.8 - 53.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
0 Atk Garbodor Seed Bomb vs. -1 4 HP / 0 Def Carracosta: 260-308 (89.6 - 106.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

2xTheTap

YuGiOh main
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
I have another set that's related to the hazard metagame in PU. It's Protean Frogadier - while this isn't anything new, changing its moveset to include Hidden Power Ghost and Taunt lets it block any attempts at taking down your hazards. Hidden Power Ghost coupled with Protean temporarily changes your type to Ghost and turns you into a makeshift spin blocker (Kecleon also does this well with Shadow Sneak). What sets it apart from Kecleon however is its high speed Taunt (322 speed), which allows Frogadier to block Defog successfully if it's is already in play. The only defogger that this fails on is Swanna, as it's two points faster than Frogadier with 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature (324 speed).

Frogadier @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Stat Totals
249 HP
145 Atk
139 Def
265 SAtk
148 Sdef
322 Spe

I tend to use this Frogadier with hazard setters that can outspeed common defoggers, while being able to explode: Explosion Mega-Glalie and Garbodor both come to mind. Additionally, Pokemon with other self-destruct style moves (e.g. Healing Wish, Memento, Final Gambit, etc) make nice partners for this Frogadier. Ideally, during the turn that a Defog would've hit you, select your self-destruct move if you outspeed. After that is done, the Defog misses, and you can send in Frogadier to use its Taunt (assuming the defogger lived).EDIT: I was testing the team on an alt with a Protean themed team and got a decent replay of Taunt + Hidden Power working to its advantage. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-194903187

Last edited:

Scarf Lead Gourgeist
Gourgeist @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 96 HP / 252 Atk / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Explosion/Destiny Bond
- Bullet Seed/Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Stat Totals
295 HP
306 Atk
280 Def
136 SAtk
186 Sdef
244 Spe / 366 Spe (Scarf)

Gourgeist-Small @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Atk / 40 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Explosion/Destiny Bond
- Bullet Seed/Seed Bomb
- Will-O-Wisp
- Trick

Stat Totals
305 HP
295 Atk
280 Def
136 SAtk
186 Sdef
244 Spe / 366 Spe (Scarf)
With this set, Gourgeist can mess with many PU leads. At 366 speed, even maximum speed invested Zebstrika is out-sped. Its Ghost typing gives it immunity to Fake Outs, and Frisk gives Gourgeist extremely valuable info about the set the other lead is using, leaving no surprises. Hazard setters such as Garbodor are crippled by Trick and physical attackers are ruined by burn. Scarf Gourgeist also makes an excellent revenger, with Destiny Bond taking down any unboosted sweeper, and with Explosion it can KO physically weak or weakened targets. Bullet Seed is the preferred STAB, breaking through sashes and Sturdy to KO Shell Smashers, however Seed Bomb can be used to give it more reliable damage.

Gourgeist-Average has 11 more attack while Gourgeist-Small has 10 more HP, so choose whichever you feel is best for you. (I personally run Average, prefer the increased power)

Last edited:
heres a niche set i run on my sneasel
sneasel choice band evs 252 spe/atk
icicle crash
low kick
knock off
ice shard
pls post your opinions thank you
It's not for me to force you to, but could you please give a description of the set, what each move does, what is the purpose of this set, when this is better than the normal set, ect? Could you maybe also explain why it is underrated. The only thing I see different is Choice Band, but how should I know if you don't say it. It would make it a lot easier to post my opinions, and I think people will agree with me

PS: For the future, have this format:

Pokemon @ Item
Ability: Ability
EVs: EVs 1 / EVs 2 / EVs 3 / Ect
Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

Last edited:
this set is definitely not that "creative", but it is pretty underrated honestly, so i might as well post about it here.

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Since Scarf Rotom is so common, Subsplit is very unexpected and can actually capitalize on the fact that most people just assume that every Rotom is scarfed. For example, you can get subs up on things you would normally get outsped by and take a ton of damage from, such as Scyther, Simipour, Serperior, or Swanna, and then be able to hit their switch in with the appropriate move. Since a ton of teams rely on prediction to deal with Scarf Rotom, you can usually easily 2HKO their switch in with the appropriate move as they break your sub. Additionally, it hits surprisingly hard, since again people are used to the lower damage output of Scarf Rotom. Pain Split also lets you get back to a very high amount of HP against bulky mons that would otherwise laugh at you such as Lickilicky, especially since Rotom's HP is so low. This set works very well on Sticky Web teams as it outspeeds faster checks that would try to switch into one of your moves, such as Ninetales, and is usually able to 2HKO them. Overall, this is a very good set that is only made better by its rarity, and I definitely recommend trying it out.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I have another set that's related to the hazard metagame in PU. It's Protean Frogadier - while this isn't anything new, changing its moveset to include Hidden Power Ghost and Taunt lets it block any attempts at taking down your hazards. Hidden Power Ghost coupled with Protean temporarily changes your type to Ghost and turns you into a makeshift spin blocker (Kecleon also does this well with Shadow Sneak). What sets it apart from Kecleon however is its high speed Taunt (322 speed), which allows Frogadier to block Defog successfully if it's is already in play. The only defogger that this fails on is Swanna, as it's two points faster than Frogadier with 252 Speed EVs and a Timid nature (324 speed).

Frogadier @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Taunt
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Stat Totals
249 HP
145 Atk
139 Def
265 SAtk
148 Sdef
322 Spe

I tend to use this Frogadier with hazard setters that can outspeed common defoggers, while being able to explode: Explosion Mega-Glalie and Garbodor both come to mind. Additionally, Pokemon with other self-destruct style moves (e.g. Healing Wish, Memento, Final Gambit, etc) make nice partners for this Frogadier. Ideally, during the turn that a Defog would've hit you, select your self-destruct move if you outspeed. After that is done, the Defog misses, and you can send in Frogadier to use its Taunt (assuming the defogger lived).EDIT: I was testing the team on an alt with a Protean themed team and got a decent replay of Taunt + Hidden Power working to its advantage. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-194903187
This, also, looks fun, but you cant guarantee that frogadier will be out against their defoger or spinner, and the most common ones are afraid of it (eg togeitc fears ice beam, swanna fears hp electric).

Snowball Regigigas

Regigigas @ Lum Berry
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Rock Polish

Stat Totals
361 HP
230/460 Atk (Adamant) 209/419 (Jolly)
256 Def
176 SAtk
257 Sdef
149/299 Spe (Adamant) 164/328 (Jolly)

A major problem I've seen with Regigigas is it's treated as a 670 BST that is useless until Slow Start ends, which tends to push sets into hoping for a miracle with Parafusion to let it get rolling. Even then, with most sets I've seen once Slow Start ends it still has problems with status, defensive walls like Regice and Avalugg, Rock and Steel types, and is completely shut down by any Ghost type.

This set reverses that mindset. Instead, Regigigas is treated as a 540 BST (110/80/110/110/80/50) bulky Tank/Physical Setup Sweeper hybrid, giving Regigias the ability to actually be useful without waiting out Slow Start. Rock Polish is its main setup move, allowing it to cancel out Slow Start's speed drop and gives Regigigas a very useful 298/299 (not sure exactly which one it ends up at after Slow Start & +2 Speed) or 328 speed, and after just one Power Up Punch, Adamant Regigigas' offense is comparable to Adamant Tauros. Additionally, it can use Rock and Steel types that resist its STAB or Regice and Avalugg as punching bags to build up its attack power, which combined with a Rock Polish turns Regigigas into a mighty powerhouse while passing time for Slow Start. Knock Off allows it to 2HKO Haunter and Mismagius (or OHKO with +1) that expect a free switch, as well as punish Phasers and keep momentum by dishing out decent damage (depending on how many boosts its acquired) while stripping them of their items. The Lum Berry is invaluable, allowing Regigigas to shrug off status and keep on snowballing its attack power. By reversing the mindset of Slow Start, Slow Start actually becomes a very useful ability: Unless Regigigas is paralyzed, Ditto can't revenge it once Slow Start ends. No matter how many boosts you build up, when Ditto switches in its Slow Start starts from the beginning, giving Regigigas 5 turns of out-speeding Scarf Ditto while hammering it with twice Ditto's attack power without being Choice Locked.

While Adamant maximizes its attack, Jolly can be used with Rock Polish to out-speed Haunter, +2 Carracosta, Gourgeist-Small, Frogadier, Leafeon (out of sun), Sawsbuck (out of sun), +1 Ursaring and Basculin, as well as speed tie Mega Glalie, Dodrio and Ninetales.

Once Slow Start ends, if you've gotten decent boosts Regigigas becomes a nigh-unstoppable titan. With one prior Rock Polish, Regigigas reaches 598/656 speed allowing it to even out-speed Scarf Zebstrika. With each Power Up Punch, Regigigas' insane 419/460 Attack is boosted even further while possessing the coverage to break through most anything. Additionally, it can use its boosts to cancel out Burn or Paralysis, preventing Regigigas from being completely crippled by status.

It isn't without its counters, though. Some PU powerhouses such as Poliwrath, Marowak and Tauros can switch in before Regigigas racks up boosts and threaten it with a 2HKO. Throh can tank most of Regigigas' attacks and phase it with Circle Throw while dealing heavy damage to Regigigas. Trick users can also try to cripple it with Scarf, but if it gets locked into Power Up Punch Regigigas can still potentially snowball anyway. However, most of them require the use of Normal, Ground or Fighting type moves to threaten it. This can give Ghost teammates a free switch in. Scarf Gourgeist and Haunter partner with Regigigas very well, resisting or boasting immunities to the moves that threaten Regigigas and can cripple those threats with Will-O-Wisp or Trick if they try to stay in, or in some situations straight up KO them.

In conclusion, choosing between Regigigas and other normal type powerhouses like Tauros and Bouffalant depends on what you want out of them. Tauros provides the most immediate offensive pressure with its very high speed and attack, Bouffalant can provide monstrous (but not very fast) attacks with Band or Swords Dance, while Snowball Regigigas can quickly get out of control and start dismantling entire teams before Slow Start ends if it isn't handled immediately.

Here's a replay of this set in action, gonna have a few more later:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-195578215 - The only thing that stopped Regigigas from wrecking this team was Ditto out-speeding Paralyzed Regigigas like I mentioned above. In the end it didn't matter, as it still punched a hole in the enemy team anyway.
You clearly put a lot of work into this, but i am sorry to say that regigigas is outclassed. Waiting 5 turns before you can do decent damage just isnt worth it in an offensively based tier like PU. I would rather use sand rush stoutland, who has immediate power and speed, tauros, who is also strong or bouffalant, who is the strongest and has other perks like swords dance and sap sipper

Here's a set that has worked surprisingly well from my experience (don't have any replays handy on me, sorry), that I haven't seen much/any mention of either on the PU general thread or here:

Regice @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Ancient Power

This thing's capacity to take hits in general, especially special hits, and dish them out in return is unbelievable. A 200 base Special Defense, boosted by Assault Vest, essentially allows it to switch in to any special attack in PU and (while possibly forcing a switch) retaliate with a powerful STAB Ice Beam or any of its other array of powerful special attacks. Focus Blast and Ancient Power aren't necessarily optimal, but they either are powerful enough or have incredible secondary effects to merit use on this set over other moves. The EVs are relatively simple; max out HP and Special Attack, leave the rest in Defense to aid its overall hit-taking abilities.
This pokemon already has a very high special defense which doesnt need boosting any more. Rest sets can wall much more easily as they wont get worn down too much by stealth rocks switchins and taking hits, whilst rock polish sets work better offensively, as they are easily revenge killed by pokemon such as bouffalant, who outspeeds this.

Scarf Lead Gourgeist

With this set, Gourgeist can mess with many PU leads. At 366 speed, even maximum speed invested Zebstrika is out-sped. Its Ghost typing gives it immunity to Fake Outs, and Frisk gives Gourgeist extremely valuable info about the set the other lead is using, leaving no surprises. Hazard setters such as Garbodor are crippled by Trick and physical attackers are ruined by burn. Scarf Gourgeist also makes an excellent revenger, with Destiny Bond taking down any unboosted sweeper, and with Explosion it can KO physically weak or weakened targets. Bullet Seed is the preferred STAB, breaking through sashes and Sturdy to KO Shell Smashers, however Seed Bomb can be used to give it more reliable damage.

Gourgeist-Average has 11 more attack while Gourgeist-Small has 10 more HP, so choose whichever you feel is best for you. (I personally run Average, prefer the increased power)
This set is just a minor annoyance for leads. Kricketune still gets its sticky web up, garbodor can get 3 spikes up, barbaracle gets rocks up. If you want a way to beat leads, using a fast Taunt pokemon like misdreavus is much better.

Here's one that I like to use, I'm either able to do about 1/2 of a sweepers health or more, or just take out 1 or two Pokemon.

Shedinja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Wonder Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Agility
- X-Scissor
- Confuse Ray

Start with a Confuse Ray, making them either switch, or hurt themselves if you're lucky. If not, you should survive with the Focus Sash. Then use Agility and Confuse Ray again if needed, then just start X-Scissoring and Shadow Clawing.
Confuse ray is very RNG based so isnt reliable nor competitive. Shedinja is also a very risky pokemon; hazards, status, rock blast can just kill it, and many good pokemon in the tier have ways to kill it easily.

this set is definitely not that "creative", but it is pretty underrated honestly, so i might as well post about it here.

Rotom-Frost @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Pain Split
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Since Scarf Rotom is so common, Subsplit is very unexpected and can actually capitalize on the fact that most people just assume that every Rotom is scarfed. For example, you can get subs up on things you would normally get outsped by and take a ton of damage from, such as Scyther, Simipour, Serperior, or Swanna, and then be able to hit their switch in with the appropriate move. Since a ton of teams rely on prediction to deal with Scarf Rotom, you can usually easily 2HKO their switch in with the appropriate move as they break your sub. Additionally, it hits surprisingly hard, since again people are used to the lower damage output of Scarf Rotom. Pain Split also lets you get back to a very high amount of HP against bulky mons that would otherwise laugh at you such as Lickilicky, especially since Rotom's HP is so low. This set works very well on Sticky Web teams as it outspeeds faster checks that would try to switch into one of your moves, such as Ninetales, and is usually able to 2HKO them. Overall, this is a very good set that is only made better by its rarity, and I definitely recommend trying it out.
This is should get a lot more usage. Its typing allows it to check quite a few pokemon and it is really easy to get subs on the switch. Definitely adding.

Uh, the whole point of Snowball Regigigas is NOT waiting 5 turns for power. I see your point though. On paper it worked well, and it worked well in battles I played, but I didn't factor in Avalugg and Throh. They wall Regigigas easily and phase it out without taking very much damage, and they are almost omnipresent in PU.

As for Gourgeist, Barbarcle is OHKO'd by Bullet Seed before it gets rocks up, Garbodor becomes an easy switch for defoggers that can remove all of its stacked hazards (since Garbodor can't attack anymore, or did attack and can't drop hazards), Kricketune from what I've seen isn't too common of a lead, and with Frisk you can figure what set the other lead is using. Scarf Gourgeist can also cripple many of PUs offensive threats, such as Tauros and Mega Glalie, and with its attack power it can revenge weakened pokemon very well. It works very well for me. I guess it might be more niche though, so I can see why you feel it isn't the best lead.

the thing is, even after a power up punch boost and a rock polish boost, which is difficult to achieve, regigigas is still both slower and weaker than standard life orb tauros:

+1 252+ Atk Slow Start Regigigas Return vs. 192 HP / 32 Def Throh: 178-210 (41.4 - 48.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 192 HP / 32 Def Throh: 230-270 (53.6 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

tauros not only doesn't need any setup at all, but is very fast right away, and possesses much better coverage that stops it from being walled by common pokemon such as throh, poliwrath, tangela, and avalugg. sure, if you manage to get the boosts and stay in for 5 turns without being forced out, it is more threatening than tauros, but realistically this is never going to happen.

as for gourgeist, sure it beats a couple of leads, but there are many other pokemon that can do this better with more consistent and less niche sets, particularly taunt nasty plot misdreavus. as for revenge killing, gourgeist is quite weak offensively, especially with only one stab move, and has very limited cleaning capability compared to scarfers such as tauros, haunter, rotom-f, and mr mime. however, if you do use this set, please at least use gourgeist-small and not gourgeist average, as every stat spread you can possibly attain with the middle two gourgeist forms can be attained by the small and super forms, so even if you want a bit more bulk in exchange for power the only thing you're doing by using gourgeist average is lowering the usage of gourgeist small for no reason. also, scarf gourgeist-average is outsped by all of scarf haunter, scarf rotom, and scarf mr. mime, which is a pretty big deal.

Carracosta @ White Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Stone Edge
- Ice Beam/Hidden Power Grass

I present to you what I call MASS (Mixed Attacking Shell Smash) Carracosta. It is a very good and underrated threat in PU, and I have secured several victories thanks to it.

White Herb prevents those nasty stat drops caused by Shell Smash; Sturdy is basically there for insurance and a guaranteed Shell Smash setup, since Special Defense will be lowered with a Rash nature; and the EVs are fairly self-explanatory, providing 506 Attack, 582 Special Attack, and 326 Speed after a Smash.

Shell Smash is the main move of the set, while Hydro Pump and Stone Edge are the obligatory STAB moves of choice. Hydro Pump throws those physical walls such as Avalugg for a loop, as it does 83.2 - 98.2% against 252 HP/252+ SpD without hazards up. Stone Edge is for those special walls, and it takes out Flying- and Ice-types very handily. Ice Beam is Carra's weapon of choice against Grass-types, but you can use Hidden Power Grass if Poliwrath is bothering your team, as it does 60.4 - 71.3% with 252 HP/4 SpD.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As a fourth moveslot on carracosta HP flying ought to be at least slashed, as it hits tangela, gourgeist, and poliwrath, which is what the other two moveslots do.

mixed carracosta really needs life orb to actually break through the things it's supposed to break through, and like regular carracosta it needs solid rock to actually be able to set up. i'd also strongly recommend at least slashing a +speed nature to compensate for the lack of aqua jet, though with this you'd need hazard support to make up for the lost power.

and yeah hp flying hits both poliwrath and grasses in one move which is pretty important.

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Special attack Gourgiest (no jokes)

Gourgiest-Small @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Modest
- Flamethrower/Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb/Physic/Dark Pulse

Now, I know I'm not the only one who has looked at this things movepool and gone 'This could be so good, if it had some Special Attack'. Well, it just so happens with the right investments that it can pull off a special set.
To start off, it is the ONLY grass type to get access to powerful special fire moves in Flamethrower and Fire Blast, Flamethrower has a 44% chance (100% after SR) to take out a standard Defensive Avalugg and Fire Blast is a OHKO; only the special set can do this as the Physical set is completely walled then taken out by Avalanche.
Shadow Ball and Giga Drain pack a massive punch with their respective STAB bonuses and give the same coverage as on a physical set. The Final move-slot kinda depends on what your team needs coverage on, so it isn't set in stone like the others are.
This set can run a life orb to stop you being locked into one move at the cost of power.
The main positives about running this above the physical set is that:
1) The only status move that you really have to worry about is Paralysis, as Burn no longer cripples your attacking power.
2) This set can deal with Avalugg, one of the most used rapid spinners and counters to Gourgiest, and can OHKO it after SR damage.
3) It has a very large amount of coverage compared to the physical set.
4) It can still take physical attacks, even without investment.

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Trick Room Physical Hypno (Eat your heart out Poliwrath)

Hypno @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Inner Focus/Insomnia
EVs: 116 HP/ 72 Atk/ 252 Def/ 68 SpD
IV: 0 Spe
Nature: Relaxed
- Belly Drum
- Zen Headbutt/Psycho Cut
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch/Thunder Punch/Fire Punch

This thing gets Belly Drum... Wha...
Yep, Gen VI added a lot of things, and this guy (girl?) got Belly Drum.
Nope, this thing isn't a very good Physical Attacker as he is neither bulky, powerful or fast. BUT, with the right investments this guy can make an amazing late game trick-room sweeper, and it has a decent movepool to back it up.
The stat distribution is for Hypno to be able to live a hit after Belly Drum, which is its main set-up move.
Zen Headbutt if for strong STAB and a way to demolish things like Poliwrath and other strong fighting types (and also poison, I guess).
Drain Punch is essential for recovery and deals a ton of damage with that +6 boost.
The last move slot is really up to what you need to cover.
Hypno's coverage can seal a match after priority users are taken out, as very few things resist all of its moves with the exception of Ghost types, and if set up right it can deal some serious damage, knocking out at least 1-2 pokemon.

It does have drawbacks though... It needs set-up, and Trick Room can be Taunted, your user can be knocked out, etc. It isn't exactly the bulkiest pokemon either, so if you switch into a hit, you're probably dead on the second.

Don't let that discourage you, because with the correct support, this thing wrecks.

OK, thanks for your opinion. I will try out HP Flying.

As for the second point, though, mixed Carra after a Shell Smash hits hard enough with both attacking stats already without Life Orb, IMO.

For the third point, I've been thinking about running Solid Rock>Sturdy for a while now, but never really did it. The idea was that just about any decently-powered special attack coming from something with a usable SpA stat would activate Sturdy. Solid Rock would be cool also, so I'll try that.

And for the last point on the Spe+ nature, I'll try that too. I'll probably bring a good SR lead to the party the next time I'm teambuilding. Maybe Naive would work...

Meowstic (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Yet another good underrated set nobody except me seems to use, SubCM Meowstic-M. Meowstic is the only Pokemon in PU who gets all of Substitute, Calm Mind, and Prankster (except Murkrow, and I haven't seen even one Murkrow in my time in the PU metagame. Although it might be that my memory is failing me).

Leftovers is there for valuable passive recovery, Prankster gives Substitute and Calm Mind +1 priority, and the EVs maximize SpA and Speed, while the 4 SpD EVs are just filler. Timid is there to have all other Meowstic-M hope to win the speed tie.

Substitute is the crux of the set, providing immunity to status moves and very light damage. Calm Mind makes Meowstic much stronger specially, while also helping it to soak up a few special hits. Psychic is the complementary STAB move of choice, as Meowstic needs all the power it can get. Thunderbolt is mainly there for coverage against Water-types such as Carracosta and Barbaracle, only leaving it completely walled by the incredibly relevant Krokorok.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-175936747 < A replay of Meowstic in action, 6-0ing the competition.

Aurorus @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I have had a surprising amount of success with this set + it is really fun to use. I came up with it when i realized Aurorus gets facade and refrigerate. Protect is for getting toxic up riskless and EdgeQuake is for coverage. It works really well as a wallbreaker because many people tend to use their special wall against it. Toxic orb is kind of 2-sided, as it gives Aurorus a 182 BP stab move and protects it from paralyzis/burn/sleep, but aurorus doesnt really like the damage it does over-time. 4 speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Aurorus (which I have seen a lot) and 252 in Attack and HP to maximize bulk and offensive power. Adamant because jolly is pointless without speed investment. A defogger or rapid spinner would be good as a teammate because aurorus is weak to rock. Something to deal with water types such as poliwrath and wailord will be good teammates too.

Calcs (no spoiler cause I'm bad)
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Tangela: 272-324 (81.4 - 97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 309-364 (92.5 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 141-167 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Aurorus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Bastiodon: 184-220 (56.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Camerupt: 309-364 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Aurorus Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Regice: 254-300 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Last edited:

yogi

I did not succumb...

Aurorus @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

I have had a surprising amount of success with this set + it is really fun to use. I came up with it when i realized Aurorus gets facade and refrigerate. Protect is for getting toxic up riskless and EdgeQuake is for coverage. It works really well as a wallbreaker because many people tend to use their special wall against it. Toxic orb is kind of 2-sided, as it gives Aurorus a 182 BP stab move and protects it from paralyzis/burn/sleep, but aurorus doesnt really like the damage it does over-time. 4 speed EVs to outspeed uninvested Aurorus (which I have seen a lot) and 252 in Attack and HP to maximize bulk and offensive power. Adamant because jolly is pointless without speed investment. A defogger or rapid spinner would be good as a teammate because aurorus is weak to rock. Something to deal with water types such as poliwrath and wailord will be good teammates too.

252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Tangela: 272-324 (81.4 - 97%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 309-364 (92.5 - 108.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Golduck: 141-167 (46.6 - 55.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Aurorus Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252 Def Bastiodon: 184-220 (56.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Refrigerate Aurorus Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Camerupt: 309-364 (89.8 - 105.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Aurorus Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Regice: 254-300 (69.7 - 82.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
You see, the thing about Aurorus is its sheer amount of weaknesses coupled with a low speed stat make it very hard to bring in and reliably hit anything with it. It has a 4x weakness to fighting, one of the most prominent types in the PU meta-game, along with a 2x weakness to rock meaning if SR is up, this things gonna come in at 75% already. It does hit a wide variety of things and can do a decent amount of damage, but the vast list of weaknesses means almost anything that isn't a wall will be able to deal with it quickly and without worry.
It also doesn't help the fact that Aurorus is also a ticking time-bomb with that Toxic Orb, meaning it's at best gonna get 1 kill in before it is in KO range of anything and there are so many better users of Facade, such as Raticade and Ursaring, which also benefit from the guts boost while not having to bother with the stacking damage as they can rely on Flame Orb. If you were going to use something different, Return is far more reliable and allows for the use of Choice Band/Life Orb. Also, why Protect? All it is doing is making you lose more HP via Toxic Orb and giving your opponent a chance to set-up.
I just don't see this being used a lot due to its horrible typing and low speed coupled with mediocre attack.

Last edited:
You see, the thing about Aurorus is its sheer amount of weaknesses coupled with a low speed stat make it very hard to bring in and reliably hit anything with it. It has a 4x weakness to fighting, one of the most prominent types in the PU meta-game, along with a 2x weakness to rock meaning if SR is up, this things gonna come in at 75% already. It does hit a wide variety of things and can do a decent amount of damage, but the vast list of weaknesses means almost anything that isn't a wall will be able to deal with it quickly and without worry.
It also doesn't help the fact that Aurorus is also a ticking time-bomb with that Toxic Orb, meaning it's at best gonna get 1 kill in before it is in KO range of anything and there are so many better users of Facade, such as Raticade and Ursaring, which also benefit from the guts boost while not having to bother with the stacking damage as they can rely on Flame Orb. If you were going to use something different, Return is far more reliable and allows for the use of Choice Band/Life Orb. Also, why Protect? All it is doing is making you lose more HP via Toxic Orb and giving your opponent a chance to set-up.
I just don't see this being used a lot due to its horrible typing and low speed.
I agree it's not that good but i think it is somewhat creative and very interesting. The main reason I posted it is i wanted a physical aurorus set here. I think I'm gonna try different variations with maybe choice scarf/band or life orb.

You may as well use Life Orb physical Aurorus, which only hits a little less hard with return than facade and hits much harder with its rock STAB and earthquake, with a good rock STAB being the main appeal of physical Aurorus and all. It also lets it use Rock polish (or ancient power to get through avalugg) instead of protect so it can clean up against offense.

OK, thanks for your opinion. I will try out HP Flying.

As for the second point, though, mixed Carra after a Shell Smash hits hard enough with both attacking stats already without Life Orb, IMO.

For the third point, I've been thinking about running Solid Rock>Sturdy for a while now, but never really did it. The idea was that just about any decently-powered special attack coming from something with a usable SpA stat would activate Sturdy. Solid Rock would be cool also, so I'll try that.

And for the last point on the Spe+ nature, I'll try that too. I'll probably bring a good SR lead to the party the next time I'm teambuilding. Maybe Naive would work...
you really do need life orb for a few important things:

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Carracosta Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 341-403 (102 - 120.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Eviolite Tangela: 262-310 (78.4 - 92.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 SpA Life Orb Carracosta Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 276-325 (71.8 - 84.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Carracosta Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Poliwrath: 212-250 (55.2 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

not ohkoing tangela is huge when it's the main thing you're trying to lure, and you have to wear down poliwrath a ton more before you can sweep. not to mention the fact that there are probably a ton of koes with hydro pump you miss out on.

Aurorus @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Facade
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

a few things:

max hp aurorus is terrible, it has too many weaknesses to afford to not run max speed. also, with this set, you have just a little more power than life orb return aurorus with your stab move but are weaker with everything else and have less longevity. finally, many of these calcs are irrelevant as they are against things that would never be in on you anyway (tangela), random max hp on pokemon that are only good as sweepers (regice, mantine), and golduck which is very uncommon.

also lol Yogibears aurorus itself is definitely not bad hello, sr sets especially are fantastic in this metagame

oh and i guess i could mention that physical rock polish and choice band aurorus are pretty decent and underrated sets too (you should still be running freeze dry so you aren't horribly walled by poliwrath though)

yogi

I did not succumb...
I didn't say that Aurorus was a bad pokemon (even if I wouldn't personally use it), I just don't think that a physical set can cut it, especially a slow one as posted. I do think it has bad typing in terms of livability, because it does. There are so many things that it can hit when running a special set that the physical can't, such as OHKO Mantine and potentially OHKO Poliwrath after SR damage (with specs). Its coverage as a special set with max speed and special attack is good, but its coverage for physical attack just cant compete with that.

I might be totally wrong though, but I just think Special would do it better.

Last edited:
I didn't say that Aurorus was a bad pokemon (even if I wouldn't personally use it), I just don't think that a physical set can cut it, especially a slow one as posted. There are so many things that it can hit when running a special set that the physical can't, such as OHKO Mantine and potentially OHKO Poliwrath after SR damage (with specs). Its coverage as a special set with max speed and special attack is good, but its coverage for physical attack just cant compete with that.
252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Aurorus Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mantine: 266-316 (98.1 - 116.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

wat

that said, the main appeal of using physical aurorus is the ability to lure in lickilicky and have strong rock stab, which it does well, as it clean 2hkoes lickilicky with sr. plus, it's barely any weaker with its stab than special aurorus is:

252 Atk Life Orb Refrigerate Aurorus Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 199-235 (58.3 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Refrigerate Aurorus Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 207-243 (60.7 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

also, not hitting poliwrath is a concern, but it wouldn't really want to switch in anyway and you can't ohko it with max spa freeze dry while you can 2hko it with 0 spa freeze dry. (this is assuming life orb which is by far the best set) obviously special aurorus is better, but physical makes for a nice lure that still hits about as hard.

oh and @ above toxic is kinda standard on subpunch poli @_@, then again scald and no attack investment definitely aren't standard on it.

oh and @ above toxic is kinda standard on subpunch poli @_@, then again scald and no attack investment definitely aren't standard on it.
Oh derp. Basically I thought of this set as SubToxic Poli (ie new set) with Focus Punch. But that's the same thing as SubPunch Poli with Toxic, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)