The Most Facepalm Worthy Thing You Have Done in All of Pokémon

I capture all the legendaries in ORAS with less than 100 Hyper Ball thanks False Sweep + Thunder wave. But I'm also sure they improved the catch rate of all Legendaries (almost 25 pokemon, and I capture at least 5 or 6 with my first Hyper Ball)

There was this time when I was breeding special Lucario. I thought I had everything planned out, and was pretty much laze faire when it came time for Luke to evolve.

Only later did I realize that Nasty Plot could only be learned at level 47 in the Riolu stage. And I'm usually pretty careful about not missing important moves that can only be learned at a certain stage, but this one slipped through the cracks. I don't know what I was thinking, though I imagine I must've thought Nasty Plot was a TM. It wasn't. It never was. In other words, I was a complete dolt for evolving Luke too soon.

Well, after deciding that Calm Mind wasn't good enough, and some head-desking, I went back to work, rushing to make another Timid 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Riolu, and didn't stop until I finally got one. By some miracle, the silver lining was that he not only has all 31 IVs where I needed them, but even 31 IVs in Attack. In other words, it was a perfect 6 IV Riolu. I named this one Ben, after Luke Skywalker's son. How fitting that the son is even more powerful than the father.

But it just goes to show that I'm still new at breeding and raising Pokemon, and that I can still make mistakes. Luke unfortunately was the one to pay the price for my ignorance.

There was this time when I was breeding special Lucario. I thought I had everything planned out, and was pretty much laze faire when it came time for Luke to evolve.

Only later did I realize that Nasty Plot could only be learned at level 47 in the Riolu stage. And I'm usually pretty careful about not missing important moves that can only be learned at a certain stage, but this one slipped through the cracks. I don't know what I was thinking, though I imagine I must've thought Nasty Plot was a TM. It wasn't. It never was. In other words, I was a complete dolt for evolving Luke too soon.

Well, after deciding that Calm Mind wasn't good enough, and some head-desking, I went back to work, rushing to make another Timid 31/xx/31/31/31/31 Riolu, and didn't stop until I finally got one. By some miracle, the silver lining was that he not only has all 31 IVs where I needed them, but even 31 IVs in Attack. In other words, it was a perfect 6 IV Riolu. I named this one Ben, after Luke Skywalker's son. How fitting that the son is even more powerful than the father.

But it just goes to show that I'm still new at breeding and raising Pokemon, and that I can still make mistakes. Luke unfortunately was the one to pay the price for my ignorance.
So inspiring ;_;
Like if u cri evertim ;-;

Anyway, I never got into breeding but once I put two males into the day care and wondered why they weren't making eggs :P

Here is another short one, though I suppose it is more of a facepalm on the game's part:

I just found a Elgyem on my DexNav with Power Swap, and decided that maybe Power Swap wasn't a bad egg move, plus I didn't have Elgyem in my Pokedex, and so I proceeded to sneak up on it. But my game engine had other plans, and put proceeded to put a Linoone right in front of me, right before I would've reached that Elgyem!

I'm sure that this has happened to many others all the time though!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Kind of wished they let you learn pre-evolution moves through Move Relearner after the Pokemon has evolved but got past the level it would normally learn a move if it hadn't.

Here is another short one, though I suppose it is more of a facepalm on the game's part:

I just found a Elgyem on my DexNav with Power Swap, and decided that maybe Power Swap wasn't a bad egg move, plus I didn't have Elgyem in my Pokedex, and so I proceeded to sneak up on it. But my game engine had other plans, and put proceeded to put a Linoone right in front of me, right before I would've reached that Elgyem!

UH, that happens to many time to me. I find it usually happens to a Pokemon I've been trying to find a while, the DexNax detects it, and either I run into a wild Pokemon or my finger slip and the Pokemon runs away.

All. The fucking. Time. Then there's the times where my thumb slips just enough that I take a normal step and scare the blasted thing off when I didn't want to. Really sucks when it has its hidden ability, has a nice egg move, and is 10 levels higher than normal.
Kind of wished they let you learn pre-evolution moves through Move Relearner after the Pokemon has evolved but got past the level it would normally learn a move if it hadn't.
I wouldn't go to that extreme, but it'd be nice if the Pokemon could relearn a Pre-evo move if it had already learned it but had since evolved, without having to breed it onto the Pokemon as an egg move. (some can't even because the pre-evo is a baby and can't breed, like Nasty Plot on Riolu)

I wouldn't go to that extreme, but it'd be nice if the Pokemon could relearn a Pre-evo move if it had already learned it but had since evolved, without having to breed it onto the Pokemon as an egg move. (some can't even because the pre-evo is a baby and can't breed, like Nasty Plot on Riolu)
I was under the impression that if a Pokemon learns a move that can only be learned in a previous stage, forgets it, and evolves, that it could still relearn it via Move Reminder. So I always do that with moves before evolving certain Pokemon. At least I think that works, so if Ben were to forget Nasty Plot for example, I could still get it back with a Heart Scale.

I was under the impression that if a Pokemon learns a move that can only be learned in a previous stage, forgets it, and evolves, that it could still relearn it via Move Reminder. So I always do that with moves before evolving certain Pokemon. At least I think that works, so if Ben were to forget Nasty Plot for example, I could still get it back with a Heart Scale.
Sadly, that's not how it works. If your Ben were to forget Nasty Plot, it's gone for good, and you would be screaming 'No!' in that oh so dramatic way from Revenge of the Sith.

Sadly, you were correct. I tested this with Ben, replaced Nasty Plot with Calm Mind, only to discover that it wasn't in the Relearner's Que.

I promptly pressed the power button, knowing that Nasty Plot must remain permanently. Probably a good thing that I found out now, instead of the hard way (unless I've already deleted an important move, and just haven't noticed yet). This is going to be a pain is the ass for any Pokemon that evolve via evolutionary stone. That means that my physical Doublade must know all the right moves before evolving.

SAME.
Except with a different Pokemon.

You see, I thought those weird markings on Cradily's head were its eyes and its actual eyes (the yellow circle in the black space) were its teeth. I didn't realize that I was wrong until I saw one in the anime.

I will say that Cradily looks a lot derpier if you look at it the way I was.
Since I got the official guide book with my copy of Sapphire, I already knew where the eyes were (not that I ever encountered Cradily in the game, but whatever).

But yeah, I agree. Cradily does look as derpy as a smiling hillbilly with no dental plan, if you look at it the right way! Which isn't easy for me, always knowing where the eyes were.

I am not sure i this should be in a new thread for most absurd thing you have done in pokemon, but when I got OR for chistmas and chose torchic I sort of lost to my rival on the battle due to me losing 2 hp from a wild pokemon before hand so I got in such a nerd rage that I loaded my game to before the battle and leveled my torchic from lvl 5 to 16....on the first two routes......it took me two hours and I never ran out of PP.

I caught an Adamant Munna, then decided to use it in-game. And the special attack loss hurt. Not all bad though, its Synchronize did give me Adamant Throh and Darumaka, so I shouldn't complain much.

In a battle against Speedy Squirtle just now, I was fighting against an Entei, and thought it was Choice Scarfed even as it was taking Life Orb recoil. I have no how or why I thought that, I just did.

When I first played Soul Silver, I managed to find a shiny Beedrill as well as a shiny Ursaring. Me, fully knowing what they where, decided not to catch them for some idiotic reason. The only random shiny I saw since was when I was breeding a Talonflame for competitive, when I hatched a shiny Fletchling... With Big Pecks.

Needless to say, my breeding poke became a lot more fabulous ever since then.

Then there was my first playthrough of any Pokemon game ever, namely Pearl version. When I chose my starter, Turtwig, I named it... Turtwig. Because I hated how the names where spelled in all-caps. By the time I figured out how to change it, Turtwig was already a Torterra, and I had grown to attached to the name to change it.

When my Turtwig did evolve into Torterra, I decided to pass up on giving it Earthquake. Why? Because I didn't want it to hurt its own allies in a double battle. Apparently I didn't realise how strong EQ was, and how rare double battles where. So I just taught my Torterra Cut instead. So for the longest time, it had the brilliant move set of Razor Leaf, Giga Drain, Crunch and Cut. Several years after I had started my adventure, though, I finally got rid of Cut and gave the big boy Earthquake.

Also, throughout most of the adventure, I used nothing but my starter. This led to one ridiculously overleveled planet tortoise. Unfortunately, this made Cyrus a nightmare to fight, as his Weavile beat my mighty Turtwig time after time. Then on the occasions I did beat Cyrus, Palkia decided not to be a nice guy and let me catch it. So after several attempts, I decided to just use my Master Ball on Palkia, not knowing how low its catch rate was compared to other legendaries. Lets just say it was several years before I actually caught Mesprit and Cresselia. At the very least, putting Palkia on my team finally got me a second team member.

Besides that, I don't really recall any facepalm-worthy moments. Other then me accidentally releasing an Eevee which was carrying my only Everstone. I managed to get a replacement, though, so it wasn't too bad.

Then there was my first playthrough of any Pokemon game ever, namely Pearl version. When I chose my starter, Turtwig, I named it... Turtwig. Because I hated how the names where spelled in all-caps. By the time I figured out how to change it, Turtwig was already a Torterra, and I had grown to attached to the name to change it.
I did the same thing! For about four months, I had an Infernape named Chimchar. It wasn't until I was going to catch Shaymin in Platinum did I finally come up with a name.
Also, I agree on the all caps thing. Though I've started to do that for my trainer name in Gen III just so it matches.

Probably the worse moment cartridge games is knocking out a shiny tentacruel with a crit ember/burn from my Quilava after leaving it in the red. That really pains me every time I see a burn/crit from my fire starters in-game.

This happened yesterday in alpha sapphire...

I'm unfamiliar with gen 5/6 pokemon, like completely.

I went to the pathless plain, trying to find out what legendary was there. I walk up to the mirror, save , stick my hand in, it turns out to be a terrakion, or however it is spelled. Not quite amazed with what it was I throw a few obligatory quick balls that fail. I give up uninterested in doing this immediately, soft reset and leave. Later that same day I'm watching an online battle on youtube, and I notice something weird about the terrakion the guy is using. It's a different color. Freaking out, I google images of said pokemon. I ran away from a shiny terrakion, my second shiny ever in a pokemon game. My first was a ratatta when I had no pokeballs :')

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
This happened yesterday in alpha sapphire...

I'm unfamiliar with gen 5/6 pokemon, like completely.

I went to the pathless plain, trying to find out what legendary was there. I walk up to the mirror, save , stick my hand in, it turns out to be a terrakion, or however it is spelled. Not quite amazed with what it was I throw a few obligatory quick balls that fail. I give up uninterested in doing this immediately, soft reset and leave. Later that same day I'm watching an online battle on youtube, and I notice something weird about the terrakion the guy is using. It's a different color. Freaking out, I google images of said pokemon. I ran away from a shiny terrakion, my second shiny ever in a pokemon game. My first was a ratatta when I had no pokeballs :')
Ouch, didn't you see the Shiny sparkle?

So I entered my first Online Competition right? Being the Hoenn Cup (I wanted that HA Tyrunt) I decided to trade my Mawile from my Y game to use as a mega since I know a lot of people will use those and other overpowered mons.

Little did I realise I forgot to optimise her moveset and it still had False Swipe since it was my Friend Safari False Swiper way back then....

At least I won my first ever match somehow!

Also in a random battle my Ludicolo froze my opponent's Whimsicott so he was forced to swap it out. Then I was using Scald to try and get burnhax for his other pokemon like Snorlax, only for him to swap it out to his frozen Whimsicott which freed him from his frozen status! Good play I had to admit but such a big facepalm moment

Last edited:
I was soft-reseting for a 31 IV HP/Speed Heatran, and after like the around the 40th try, was starting to pull my hair out wondering why I'd only found two Heatran that had outsped my Smeargle. By the second time, I'd started Speed Checking first.

By around the 70th attempt, I'd decided to ignore the Speed Checking part, and eventually managed to find a pretty good specimen.

Another member suggested that I check to see if Smeargle had a speed stat of 96. Turns out, Smeargle gained some speed stats while leveling up, and I forgot to check his stats after I was done.

Fortunately, I seldom make the same mistakes twice, and I now have a Heatran with HP, the Defenses, and Speed that "can't be beat", though, so I can't complain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)