General Introduce yourself!

QueBien

Nomad, vagabond, call me what you will
Hi! I'm Rachel and I'm 24. My very first video game ever way back in the day was pokemon blue on gameboy, and like the inner child I am, I have never stopped playing.

For years now I have bred pokemon for people who battled competitively or people who just wanted something in specific. No one big or anything but around random forums or reddit and such. I have a pretty sizeable dex and an almost fully complete national dex of pokemon across several games.

So, recently I've been watching a lot of youtube battlers as well as the replay list on showdown and I thought to myself that since breeding has become a little boring, I wanted to learn how to get into competitive battling. With the amount of different pokemon I have, literally nothing is out of my grasp in terms of finding something (At least I think!) , so why not teach myself how to actually use these pokemon.

I was thinking of getting into either Battle Spot, VGC, NU or RU. If I get confident enough maybe OU, but I'm mostly interested in the others to start.

What intimidates me most is prediction. I mean, I'm good at it in things I know like MtG, but with Pokemon I just have so little experience and don't really know where to start learning or how. I need the whole package, like: Team building and synergy, knowing the meta, learning how to predict, and all of that.

I like to think I'm a quick study and once I feel like I have a foot in the door, I can take off from there. I've lurked here for many years just reading all the fascinating things, and I'm hoping I can actually become a part of this community.
Hey Mei Lin!
For a start, try this guide for some of the basics (i.e. team-building and predicting) of competitive battling. In addition, I would recommend visiting the respective rooms of the tiers you are interested in have you not done so already. Also, PM some of the mentors of these tiers. For example, for Battle Spot, PM Hulavuta. For VGC, PM Ace Emerald. There are many mentors for NU and RU, so just go by your preference. Mentors can help you improve your skills in the tiers you are seeking improvement in. Good luck with your battling and have fun!
Hello, my name is miniroo. I am new to the Pokemon scene, but I've been a lurker here since 2009 (mainly for the Strategydex and The Smog magazine). I mainly enjoy fighting games, but every since ORAS came out, I've suddenly become interested in Pokemon again. Knowing that there's a lot of skilled players here, I hope to learn all I can to get good at this game!
Hi miniroo!
Welcome! If you would like an introduction to competitive battling, use this guide. In addition, don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any. Have a great time, and I'll see you around!
Yo! I'm Matt, from Hawaii. I tried to "retire" from Pokemon because of time constraints and sold my 3DS before I could get addicted to ORAS; however, kicking the habit completely was impossible. Showdown kept me in the game. I'd like to improve, and even get in on the mentoring program. It would be great if someone could help me out! Peace.
Hello TyrionTheMaster!
Here is an introduction to the Smogon Mentorship Program! In addition, here is a list of mentors that can help you improve your competitive battling skills and/or help you with any questions you may have. Try out the "Competitive Tutoring" room in Showdown for further help with battling, and visit the RMT section of the forums to get some team-building help. In addition, visit this link for a guide to competitive battling. Have a great time in both Smogon and in Showdown, and good luck battling!

Hello everyone, Cerib here.
I was recently referred here by my friend. I have experience with Pokemon as individuals(I.E. Making sets), though I lack the competitive knowledge to assemble teams since I have only just started playing Showdown(I have been following the rules for quite a while though). I am still reasonably new to the meta, and have made a team, which I will post in the Rate My Team category.

During the day, I install air conditioning, and when I come home I work with Photoshop. I used to create Forum Signatures, so if someone could direct me to an art thread that would be nifty(unless I have already found it, which I will make a post).

I play a lot of video games and I collect comic books.

That's pretty much it, haha. <3

Hello!
I'm Amaya-chan and i'm pretty new to the Pokémon games.
I'm currently playing through my first and only game atm, White 2 (only have the first 3 badges).

If you could give me any advice, please do and i'd also like to get my team rated later if that's ok.

Thanks! ^-^

Hey guys, I'm Trontastic, I'm 22 and I suck donkey balls when it comes to competitive. Came here to avoid that in the future. If anyone wants to say hi, please do. I'm so lonely... ;_;

Hi everyone’ I’m Quentin, 21 year old from France !
I played pokemon games since the very beginning with Pokemon Blue and I never give up. I started to play strategically a little months ago, thanks to some great french youtubers and streamers. I’m pretty bad for the moment, this is why I searched a community to chat with and get some good advise to increase my level. I use the strategy pokedex a lot and i read The Smog, which is for me, the best web-zine that I ever see.
I don’t have a favourite generations, I think each gen’ came out with some great ideas and great pokemon too, but I have a special feeling with the gen 3, because this is where the real pokemon begin for me, thanks to the abilities and the nature for example.

Outside the pokeworld, I play a lot of video games, on all the system. I like sports like Football (not soccer)

I hope my english is not too bad, and I hope spend some good times here ;)

Aelastain here. Registered on Showdown about....4 months ago? 5? Either way, I've been playing Pokemon since red and blue came out (and god does that make me feel old), have played every game but platinum, but never played competitively up until I joined. I have lurked on the forums since BW (maybe BW2). While I did join months ago, I really never seriously played the ladder and only got to about 1250-1300 before other things perked my interest and attention.

In any case, hello everyone!

QueBien

Hello everyone, Cerib here.
I was recently referred here by my friend. I have experience with Pokemon as individuals(I.E. Making sets), though I lack the competitive knowledge to assemble teams since I have only just started playing Showdown(I have been following the rules for quite a while though). I am still reasonably new to the meta, and have made a team, which I will post in the Rate My Team category.

During the day, I install air conditioning, and when I come home I work with Photoshop. I used to create Forum Signatures, so if someone could direct me to an art thread that would be nifty(unless I have already found it, which I will make a post).

I play a lot of video games and I collect comic books.

That's pretty much it, haha. <3
Hey Cerib!
Welcome to Smogon! For teambuilding, PM a mentor and/or go here. Once you've formed a team you like, visit the Rate My Team section of the forums. For an art thread, create a thread in the Smeargle's Studio section, which you can find here. Have fun!
Hello!
I'm Amaya-chan and i'm pretty new to the Pokémon games.
I'm currently playing through my first and only game atm, White 2 (only have the first 3 badges).

If you could give me any advice, please do and i'd also like to get my team rated later if that's ok.

Thanks! ^-^
Hi Amaya-chan!
Welcome! Go here for a guide to the basics of competitive battling and for an overview of the different tiers we have to offer. PM a mentor if you would like additional help. You can get your team rated here. Have a great time!
Hey guys, I'm Trontastic, I'm 22 and I suck donkey balls when it comes to competitive. Came here to avoid that in the future. If anyone wants to say hi, please do. I'm so lonely... ;_;
Hello Trontastic!
You can get some help improving your competitive skills using this guide. In addition, PM a mentor if you want some 1 on 1 help. Visit the "Competitive Tutoring" room in Showdown, too! Have a good time in both Smogon and Showdown!
Hi everyone’ I’m Quentin, 21 year old from France !
I played pokemon games since the very beginning with Pokemon Blue and I never give up. I started to play strategically a little months ago, thanks to some great french youtubers and streamers. I’m pretty bad for the moment, this is why I searched a community to chat with and get some good advise to increase my level. I use the strategy pokedex a lot and i read The Smog, which is for me, the best web-zine that I ever see.
I don’t have a favourite generations, I think each gen’ came out with some great ideas and great pokemon too, but I have a special feeling with the gen 3, because this is where the real pokemon begin for me, thanks to the abilities and the nature for example.

Outside the pokeworld, I play a lot of video games, on all the system. I like sports like Football (not soccer)

I hope my english is not too bad, and I hope spend some good times here ;)
Welcome NotoriousJR!
Cool to meet an original player! Here you can find a guide to help you with competitive skills! It gives you information on how to predict, team-build, etc. I agree with you that all generations are good, and I especially agree with you on the fact that Generation 3 was amazing, as that is where I began, too! n_n I play many other videogames like you, too. Have a great time, and I'll see you around!
Aelastain here. Registered on Showdown about....4 months ago? 5? Either way, I've been playing Pokemon since red and blue came out (and god does that make me feel old), have played every game but platinum, but never played competitively up until I joined. I have lurked on the forums since BW (maybe BW2). While I did join months ago, I really never seriously played the ladder and only got to about 1250-1300 before other things perked my interest and attention.

In any case, hello everyone!
Nice to meet you, Aelastain!
Sadly, I've played every game but those of Generation 1 and 2. :( Seems like you know your way around. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Otherwise, have fun posting in the forums! :)

Hey there I'm Joe just started competitively breeding and looking to start battling in the OU tier very soon. Any tips on where to start, where to find battles and how to see Smogon official banned pokemon from OU would be most appreciated. As I know M-Salamance etc. is banned but there's nowhere to find a list of everything.

Excited to pick up the game more seriously and meet/make new friends!

Hello smogon peoples, I am Frostknight1 and am new to Smogon.

I quit playing competitively around Gen 4 and want to get back in to the competitive groove. I currently can't access wi-fi so i can't battle/trade online for a while but if you live in the Union area in SC then feel free to ask for a battle (or yu-gi-oh duel) anytime.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
Hey guys, the name's Total Clefairy, TC for short. I play most tiers, and I like to think I'm alright. The key word here is THINK. Ah well, we can't all be good, right?
Also, Jessica, if you're reading this, then hi.

BIG ASHLEY

ashley
is a Community Contributor
My strategy and prediction could do with some work though, so of anyone can help with that it would be greatly appreciated!

Hey, y'all! The name's KaoTheHedgehog! So I've been lurking these forums for a while, particularly the Create-A-Pokemon forums. It always fascinates me how they come up with these original Pokemon and use these to explore the ever-evolving metagame. I also have been playing a bit of the XY OU on Showdown and would like to give a VoltTurn team a try. Hope to have fun with you guys!

Hey, y'all! The name's KaoTheHedgehog! So I've been lurking these forums for a while, particularly the Create-A-Pokemon forums. It always fascinates me how they come up with these original Pokemon and use these to explore the ever-evolving metagame. I also have been playing a bit of the XY OU on Showdown and would like to give a VoltTurn team a try. Hope to have fun with you guys!
What's up! This is my first time post as well being a long-time lurker. I've been having fun battling competitively since 2010. See ya around!

Hi everybody! Im Kitsune, Ive been playing pokemon almost since it came out, starting with Pokemon Yellow. I became completely hooked on the game after about the third gym and have been playing ever since. I started on the competitive scene when I was about 13 but soon lost my will to fight and just played for fun. Last year I took part in a VGC competition in the city in which i reside and it really flared my interest for the game once more. I now Lets Play Pokemon games including ORAS and spend alot of my free time designing teams, whilst working on a series I do called "Pokemon Theory". My youtube channel ID is TheGeneralSpace.

Hello, you can call me ii. I am very new to competitive battling and know very little about it, but have wanted to get into it for 4 years now. I love pokemon very much. I am also trying to get into the competitive TCG. I collect the cards and merch. I figured that the best way for me to become social in the fandom is for me to learn how to play competitively.

More about me: I am 16 years old at the moment and I think that I'm going to pursue mathematics. I really like ghost and bug pokemon. Moths and corvids are among my favourite animals. I enjoy roguelikes. I will listen to any music that I find nice. I analyse a lot of movies and am constantly trying to find more movies to enjoy. I am very casual with music and movies so if you ever want to have a discussion about any of these things, I would love to. It would help me to find more things to enjoy !!

The sad thing is that I have never in my life had a competitive team. That means I am absolutely going in blind. I hope that I can get started soon !! Please be patient with me if I do not know everything about the metagame, I am still learning.

Hello everybody!

I am not completely new to competitive battles as I had been active on a German competitive-Pokémon-forum ("Pokefans") during Gen 4 and the beginning of Gen 5. Concerning my own strength as a player, I'd say that I am way stronger than all those, who have never heard anything about competitive battles and strategies (which is, by no means, an impressive feat), but way below the standard of an "okay" player. I hope that registering on smogon.com might help with this and that I have now another activity to spend my time on ;)
Additionally: Do you think that the mentorship-program in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-user-and-need-help-look-here.3523418/ is appropriate for me? Or is this thread rather intended for those who still need to move on from their storyline-teams and need someone to explain the effects of natures, IVs, EVs etc.?

hey ppl. i just came back to pokemon recently with soulsilver and after surfing a little found showdown which got me interested. still a casual player but might try to play (semi)competitive. since i started with pokemon yellow i favor lot of the kanto pokemon but i am trying to learn about the newer stuff aswell (nostalgia yay). i played yellow, firered, emerald and soulsilver.
let's have some fun times.

Hello Smogon! I'm Electrodents and I've playing pokemon during the Johto saga. I've been lurking around in the forums since Gen 4 (my favorite) and I want to learn about team building and how to battle competitively. I am a 21 year old college junior studying nutrition.

Hello. I go by J. I joined smogon in order to level up as a player.
I don't really speak unless spoken too. I prefer to spectate and learn.

Hi smogon, I just created my account for the forums but I've lurked and used this site for over a year now, and I've been playing Showdown for about 2 months now.
some of you may have seen me around Showdown. I'm mostly in Monotype but I hang out in the tourney room and competitive tutoring for any questions I have.

Hello ive been playing pokemon since i was like 7 and im 15 now and still enjoy it i hope to help people out with weird pokemon they want to make such as i have a great set for delcatty. But i can do other pokemon to such as other great competive pokemon.

QueBien

Hey there I'm Joe just started competitively breeding and looking to start battling in the OU tier very soon. Any tips on where to start, where to find battles and how to see Smogon official banned pokemon from OU would be most appreciated. As I know M-Salamance etc. is banned but there's nowhere to find a list of everything.

Excited to pick up the game more seriously and meet/make new friends!
Hi SafeORAS!
Visit the OverUsed room for a start. As for finding battles, just select OU from the tier drop-down list, select your team, and click look for a battle, or privately challenge someone. Banned Pokemon of OU include all Uber tier legendaries, Mega Rayquaza (AG), Aegislash, Blaziken, M-Blaziken, M-Kangaskhan, M-Lucario, M-Gengar, and M-Mawile. As for Smogon, PM a mentor for help getting around or just ask. You can also PM a mentor for competitive help. Welcome to Smogon!
Hello smogon peoples, I am Frostknight1 and am new to Smogon.

I quit playing competitively around Gen 4 and want to get back in to the competitive groove. I currently can't access wi-fi so i can't battle/trade online for a while but if you live in the Union area in SC then feel free to ask for a battle (or yu-gi-oh duel) anytime.
Hi Frostknight1!
Welcome! Get settled in by visiting different rooms in Showdown and by finding tiers you like! If you have any questions, ask away! :)
Hey guys, the name's Total Clefairy, TC for short. I play most tiers, and I like to think I'm alright. The key word here is THINK. Ah well, we can't all be good, right?
Also, Jessica, if you're reading this, then hi.
Hey Total Clefairy!
If you would like some help improving your competitive skills, PM a mentor. Otherwise, have a great time and good luck battling!
Hey I'm new
Hi.

;) Welcome to Smogon! Don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any. Have fun!
Hi everybody! Im Kitsune, Ive been playing pokemon almost since it came out, starting with Pokemon Yellow. I became completely hooked on the game after about the third gym and have been playing ever since. I started on the competitive scene when I was about 13 but soon lost my will to fight and just played for fun. Last year I took part in a VGC competition in the city in which i reside and it really flared my interest for the game once more. I now Lets Play Pokemon games including ORAS and spend alot of my free time designing teams, whilst working on a series I do called "Pokemon Theory". My youtube channel ID is TheGeneralSpace.
Hello TheGeneralSpace!
If you need any help getting around or with competitive battling, PM a mentor. It seems as if you already know your way around things, though! Have a good time! :D
Hello, you can call me ii. I am very new to competitive battling and know very little about it, but have wanted to get into it for 4 years now. I love pokemon very much. I am also trying to get into the competitive TCG. I collect the cards and merch. I figured that the best way for me to become social in the fandom is for me to learn how to play competitively.

More about me: I am 16 years old at the moment and I think that I'm going to pursue mathematics. I really like ghost and bug pokemon. Moths and corvids are among my favourite animals. I enjoy roguelikes. I will listen to any music that I find nice. I analyse a lot of movies and am constantly trying to find more movies to enjoy. I am very casual with music and movies so if you ever want to have a discussion about any of these things, I would love to. It would help me to find more things to enjoy !!

The sad thing is that I have never in my life had a competitive team. That means I am absolutely going in blind. I hope that I can get started soon !! Please be patient with me if I do not know everything about the metagame, I am still learning.
Nice to meet you enigmaticii!
Or, rather "ii". Here's a guide to get you started. For teambuilding, PM a mentor, and/or visit the "Competitive Tutoring" room in Showdown. Visit the RMT section of the forums once you have a team you like. Have a great time, and don't be afraid to ask questions if you have any!
About me: I think I'm going to pursue medicine. I like steel and fighting type Pokemon. My favorite animals are dogs and turtles (as you can see from my avatar :] ). I listen to many different music genres, too. I watch movies very often, also!
Hello everybody!

I am not completely new to competitive battles as I had been active on a German competitive-Pokémon-forum ("Pokefans") during Gen 4 and the beginning of Gen 5. Concerning my own strength as a player, I'd say that I am way stronger than all those, who have never heard anything about competitive battles and strategies (which is, by no means, an impressive feat), but way below the standard of an "okay" player. I hope that registering on smogon.com might help with this and that I have now another activity to spend my time on ;)
Additionally: Do you think that the mentorship-program in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-user-and-need-help-look-here.3523418/ is appropriate for me? Or is this thread rather intended for those who still need to move on from their storyline-teams and need someone to explain the effects of natures, IVs, EVs etc.?
Hi Impiex!
Welcome! It seems like you know your basics about competitive battling, so just PM a mentor to get some help improving. The mentorship program is perfect for you! Have fun!
Hello Smogon! I'm Electrodents and I've playing pokemon during the Johto saga. I've been lurking around in the forums since Gen 4 (my favorite) and I want to learn about team building and how to battle competitively. I am a 21 year old college junior studying nutrition.
Hi Electrodents!
Visit the "Competitive Tutoring" room in Showdown for a start. In addition, PM a mentor. Visit the rooms of the tiers you would like to build teams of, too. Have a good time, and have fun!
Hi, I'm Elí, I like friki stuff and playing pokémon ... I would like to be a competitive thread :pimp:
Hello Amo Supremo!
Visit the "Competitive Tutoring" room. Otherwise, have a good time!
Hello. I go by J. I joined smogon in order to level up as a player.
I don't really speak unless spoken too. I prefer to spectate and learn.
Hey 2soondere!
PM a mentor for competitive help. Have fun learning and battling, and good luck!
Hi smogon, I just created my account for the forums but I've lurked and used this site for over a year now, and I've been playing Showdown for about 2 months now.
some of you may have seen me around Showdown. I'm mostly in Monotype but I hang out in the tourney room and competitive tutoring for any questions I have.
Hello Ryu Sakamoto!
It appears you're already settled in! :D Ask questions if you have them, and have fun!
Hello ive been playing pokemon since i was like 7 and im 15 now and still enjoy it i hope to help people out with weird pokemon they want to make such as i have a great set for delcatty. But i can do other pokemon to such as other great competive pokemon.
Hi skalnich!
Cool to meet a creative player! I also try to make "new" sets for underused Pokemon. Have fun doing so, and PM a mentor if you have questions!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)