ORAS OU Mega-Latias Balance

So I'm in love with Mega Latias. I decided to build a team featuring it and not only have I been pretty successful with it, but it's a lot of fun to play with. I won't bore you with the teambuilding process as it was an evening of theorymonning and what you see is the product of that - save some fiddling with movesets and EVs. Changes will be in bold and crossed out. On to the team!

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Stored Power
- Recover

Here she is, the star of the show. 252 Speed and Timid is mandatory to speed tie the host of base 110s running around in ORAS OU. Since I'm running a calm mind set, 252 HP is for as much bulk as possible instead of immediate offensive presence. The object of the set is to set up calm minds - plural if possible. at +2/+2 Stored Power does an insane amount to things and really increases M-Latias' bulk (Adaptability Specs Draco Meteor from Dragalge never OHKO's at +2). I'm running two attacks over substitute because as my main win condition it's important for nothing to be immune to damage - stopping this monster should cost my opponent, not be possible with an easy counter. If I were to run a single attack I'd be 100% shut down by either darks or fairies, and i'd rather take the occasional status than hand my opponent all the momentum like that.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

The main threats to M-Latias are of course dark types, more specifically pursuit users, even more specifically Bisharp and Tyranitar. Whilst I'm always hesitant to switch Landorus-T in on a defiant user, the versatility offered by Earthquake and Superpower are great ways to shut them down. Only three pokemon are immune to both attacks, and only Gengar is likely to appear in OU, so spamming whichever attack seems safest is an easy option. U-turn grabs momentum and the scarf is great for revenge kills. I'm considering Adamant for the chance to OHKO uninvested Mega Metagross but I'm concerned this would leave me open to getting outsped by important threats - any input on this would be appreciated.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Heatran is my answer to stall and the pesky fairy and steel types that bother Latias. 68 speed allows me to outspeed M-venusaur, chansey, skarmory, clefable and M-scizor. Lava Plume and Flash Cannon are dual-stab that hit reasonably hard off of Heatran's base 130 SpAtk, spread burns and surprise fairy types. Stealth Rock combined with Ferrothorn's Spikes pressures the opponent to Defog, which Bisharp takes advantage of with Defiant. Not having Earth Power hurts my ability to kill other Heatran, but between Landorus and Keldeo I have other answers to it. Toxic is great for catching the Rotom-W switch in or whatever else wants to come in.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Ferrothorn works wonderfully with Heatran despite sharing the fighting weakness, but Latias and Landorus cover that. EVs are standard for mixed bulk, I am open to suggestions for changing them. Power Whip for the likes of Rotom-W, Quagsire, M-Gyarados, Mamoswine, Gyro Ball for M-Sceptile and other speedy but frail threats. Carrying Stealth Rock lets Heatran utilise a more full moveset, and the team definitely appreciates hazards on the opposing side, if only to keep equal footing - this team lacks hazard control outside of the situational taunt. Spikes rack up switch-in damage and pressure a defog.Thunder wave is run instead of Leech Seed for some permanent speed control, which I feel this team benefits from more than forced switches - paralysis allows Keldeo to outspeed the base 110s, allows Latias to risk fewer speed ties, and allows Heatran to get off taunts on faster opponents.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Keldeo is a much-needed Dark type resistance, though sometimes it becomes overworked in this role. His main role is wallbreaking/revenge killing however, as Specs make his moves hit like a truck. Hydro Pump is for power, Scald is for spamming burns, and secret sword is for chansey and other physically frail special sponges. Icy wind is the weak link, rarely used except for emergency speed control. If you can think of a better option, feel free to share. Originally I had considered Greninja in this role, but Keldeo's bulk convinced me that it was the more fitting member of the team, despite speed creep rendering Keldeo's once godly speed rather less useful.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Weavile fulfills the role Weavile did, albeit a lot slower (but a lot bulkier). With Sucker Punch his speed isn't too much of an issue except against other priority, which is a pain but save for Mach Punch or 50/50 predictions vs. Talonflame it isn't too much of a problem. Knock off hits very hard and cripples switch-ins and slower, bulkier pokemon such as eviolite users. Pursuit does the trick against Lati@s and the other usual victims. Overall he is working out better than Weavile but his speed does leave a little to be desired...

Previous Members

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Low Kick
- Ice Shard

The final member of the team is an all-purpose revenge killer, trapper, and knock off abuser. By far the weakest member of the team, his overall utility makes him difficult to replace. Ice shard outspeeds Talonflame's Brave Bird and deals a minimum of 30% to 248 HP/0 Def Talonflame, Knock off is extremely useful for crippling eviolite and choice item users, pursuit traps opposing lati@s...Ideally I would like something with a little more bulk whilst retaining offensive presence to take pressure off of Keldeo, but I'm hard pressed to think of anything that could perform these useful roles as effectively as Weavile.

Exportable
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Superpower

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Stored Power
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Taunt

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

I welcome any suggestions you have on how to improve the team!​

Last edited:
You could try Bisharp over Weavile. It has better physical bulk and defensive typing, slightly higher Attack, access to STAB Pursuit, Knock Off and priority Sucker Punch and a much better ability. It handles Fairies that can give Keldeo and Latias trouble with Iron Head. It also takes on opposing Lati@s and has an easier time switching in on them than Weavile since it resists their STAB moves, although you still have to be wary of their coverage moves. You can use Assault Vest to alleviate this if you want.

Another thing you might want to consider, especially if you decide to use Bisharp, is replacing Toxic or Taunt on Heatran with Stealth Rock so that you can replace Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn with Spikes. This way you can potentially rack up a lot more damage as you force switches and pressure your opponent to spin or Defog. If they do Defog, they risk Bisharp switching in and getting a free boost. Lati@s seem to be the most common Defoggers in the tier and at +2 they are OHKOed by Pursuit even if they don't switch out.

Exactly as stated above. Here's the rough importable for him, but you can mix him up a little if you want like sticking Swords Dance on there somewhere, a +2 Bisharp can run through teams like nothing else if not prepared for. Life Orb and Low Kick are also options if you really want but it's probably not worth it in the long run.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head

Thanks for the suggestions. I have made the change from Weavile to Bisharp, though I feel I would lose too much if I fiddled with Heatran. The combination of Toxic+Taunt is my best answer to Stall. If I changed SR to Heatran to make room for spikes on Ferrothorn, I'd have to move Toxic to Keldeo, which I feel would take away from the team structure as a whole. I could try a different item on Keldeo and ditch either Scald ir Hydro Pump but I'm not keen on the damage from Life Orb, and I still prefer having Toxic+Taunt on the same pokemon as, without it, I really don't have much for Stall.

EDIT: I have also just discovered that I'm horrifically weak to Belly Drum Azumarill.

Last edited:
Hmm...I think your team looks fine, but if you wanna use Spikes on Ferro and Rocks on Heatran you could sub out Flash Cannon for Toxic.

With Bisharp, you should have Fairies covered (but don't be too risky with him), so having a Steel type move on Heatran isn't necessary. As mentioned by New Light, by having more hazards on the field, you force your opponent to Defog, and if you can predict that Defog and switch in your Bisharp you'll get an easy +2.

Besides, Heatran's main purpose seems to be to sponge hits (your EV spread), prevent stall (Taunt) and whittle the opponent with status moves (burn from Lava Plume/Toxic). Yeah, Flash Cannon is handy for getting nice damage on the ever popular Clefable, but between Lava Plume and Taunt I think you could beat the typical sets anyway.

Idk, up to you. Just fiddle around with your team a bit. If it works, stick with it. If it doesn't, come back here :p

Also, I'm just thinking...you don't really have much for Talonflame. Lando can act as a check I suppose with it's Intimidate, and Bisharp can take it on with those 50/50 Sucker Punches, but nothing on your team can really appreciate the combination of Flare Blitz/Brave Bird.

I've swapped Flash Cannon out for Stealth Rocks and moved Spikes onto Ferro - you're right, I fixed my ability to combat fairies when I swapped Weavile for Bisharp. I might also try Rocky Helmet instead of Leftovers on Ferrothorn too for more passive damage, though that may push me to add leech seed instead of one of my STABs

Don't try the Helmet on Ferro, the extra recoil it offers isn't nearly as helpful as HP recovery, stick with Leftovers, or if anything try Shed Shell to avoid Magnezone trapping. It looks like Mag can do a decent number to your team under the right circumstances.

Latias-Mega @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature

- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse / Substitute
- Stored Power
- Recover

The most optimal CM Mega Latias sets run some form of defense investment, along with a lower speed investment and a Bold nature. 248 EVs gives Latias a Stealth Rock number, the speed I put there allows it to outspeed base 80 speed Pokemon with a speed boosting nature (so Jolly Mamo, Jolly pre-Mega Gallade, Jolly DNite, Timid pre-Mega Gardevoir for example). I understand the reasoning behind running max HP and max Speed, but some defense investment gives Mega Latias noticeably more staying power. There's other options for speed, with the leftover EVs getting put in Defense (credit to Boltsandbombers for the original info):
  • 80 Speed for Adamant Excadrill which is the minimum you should use
  • 116 Speed outspeeds +Speed Base 80s, specifically Mamoswine, Gallade and Gardevoir pre-evo
  • 128 Speed outspeeds Jolly Gyarados
  • 136 Speed outspeeds max Speed neutral-natured Kyurem-B and Gliscor (which doesn't really exist tbh but better be safe)
  • 160 Speed outspeeds Mega-Pinsir and Mega-Heracross pre-evo
  • 176 Speed outspeeds max speed base neutral base 100s

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)