High School Implications

Hiya,

I'm currently undergoing a crucial part of my life as an adolescent, where I need to take into consideration multiple aspects of the future. I realize that time is limited, and decisions must be analyzed and made in advance to prevent any possible dilemmas.

The thing is, I don't often think about the future. I feel 'uncomfortable', so to speak, when people ask me what I want to pursue in university. Through my short time of browsing through the threads in this section, I know that many of you are mature and experienced enough to give me helpful advice.

My high school is implementing an IB curriculum next year, and I'm planning on taking the courses and acquiring the diploma. How would I transition from there? Should I be doing extensive research for which courses I want to take in university, or is that currently irrelevant?

I apologize for the relative ambiguity of the circumstance that I have stated. I'm writing this in somewhat of a hurry, but I will edit if I feel that it is necessary. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!

toshimelonhead

Honey Badger don't care.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hiya,

I'm currently undergoing a crucial part of my life as an adolescent, where I need to take into consideration multiple aspects of the future. I realize that time is limited, and decisions must be analyzed and made in advance to prevent any possible dilemmas.

The thing is, I don't often think about the future. I feel 'uncomfortable', so to speak, when people ask me what I want to pursue in university. Through my short time of browsing through the threads in this section, I know that many of you are mature and experienced enough to give me helpful advice.

My high school is implementing an IB curriculum next year, and I'm planning on taking the courses and acquiring the diploma. How would I transition from there? Should I be doing extensive research for which courses I want to take in university, or is that currently irrelevant?

I apologize for the relative ambiguity of the circumstance that I have stated. I'm writing this in somewhat of a hurry, but I will edit if I feel that it is necessary. Thanks for your time.

Cheers!
I would first think about what school to attend before picking what classes to take at that school. You have more time than you think to decide on future classes / careers.

You don't need to go into college knowing what you want to study. Very few people I know have stuck with the major that they entered with. To reiterate what toshi said above you should figure out where you want to go before you start planning out a class schedule. You're not even guaranteed acceptance. You can plan your course of study once you are actually enrolled.

Also just to throw this out there I personally think everyone should take at least one economics and finance course in college.

I can completely agree with the other two, considering that I did what both my family and school recommended and ended up hating it. Don't try and plan out exactly how you want your college career to go, because it almost never stays that way. You'll encounter classmates, professors, and all of the like that can and will change your mind about some things. You're basically forced to be open with whatever gets thrown your way!

Here's an example. For me, I took medical courses from the ages of 17 to 18, and just before my 19th birthday realized how much I hated medical and changed majors to Chemistry. I couldn't be happier now. Of course, everyone is different, and each Uni is different. Choose what suits you in person, not what suits you on paper.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Also just to throw this out there I personally think everyone should take at least one economics and finance course in college.
Because 90% people eventually realize the obvious MBA is the only real shot you have it fixing your fuckup and avoiding poverty. This is not a sellout jab. Most people just wanna make money to have time for other things, or finance stuff they actually like. Maybe like adventure hiking, or travelling, or whatever. I know very few people whose jobs are their passions and dreams and whatnot.

Ender

pelagic
is a Contributor Alumnus
Because 90% people eventually realize the obvious MBA is the only real shot you have it fixing your fuckup and avoiding poverty. This is not a sellout jab. Most people just wanna make money to have time for other things, or finance stuff they actually like. Maybe like adventure hiking, or travelling, or whatever. I know very few people whose jobs are their passions and dreams and whatnot.
MBA != ticket to success. I feel like there are far more unsuccessful MBAs than successful ones (at least relative to the time and money invested in the degree).

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
An MBA certainly makes you more marketable in today's economy. Today's MBA is basically yesteryear's college degree: having one immediately puts you above all other job candidates. College degrees have been pushed on the children of the US for so long, they've become the new high school diplomas.

Marketable to certain folks.

Other folks either won't care, or will select against it.

It's also not a question of general marketability, it's marketability vs other options divided by relative costs in money and time of undertaking the program.

I think you should choose what you want to do in your life according to your passions and hobbies, of course it's rather hard to live on low-paid job, but just imagine that you will go for work that gives you good money, but you hate this job and you will have to go there every day for 20 years. Just do what you love and money will come to you! :heart:

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
If you're up to the challenge, getting the IB is a great start. When college admissions come around, whatever you want to do, you'll have a shot at getting into the really selective schools if they see that you are taking the hardest courses your school offers (even if they aren't say, the hardest classes that any school offers) and making good on extracurriculars (lead a club, varsity a sport, etc, are really helpful if you want to go ivy/UChicago/MIT/Berkley/Stanford/etc).

Even if you don't want to get into ultra-competitive schools, doing well wrt your GPA/standardized testing/IB is a GREAT way to guarantee options at state schools, which offer great education and in many instances, reduced to free tuition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)