Soft Resetting Guide Pokémon XY and ORAS!

I was looking thru the guide, and I think I have a better approach for Palkia. If we use a Smeargle with an air balloon and the move night shade it is possible to test HP and Speed using 1 pokemon.
This allow to have a fainted sync, and Uxie, Mespirit and Azelf and still have room for the captured pokemon. To do this you want a level 82 smeargle with 0 Speed IV, 16 speed EV and the moves Night Shade and spore (and a recovery move). This will put the smeargle 1 speed point below the boosted 31 iv palkia. So if the Air balloon message comes up before pressure reset. Then use night shade, if the palkia HP goes yellow reset, if not use spore and then another night shade to bring it down to 1 HP.
The only problem with this is that it is only possible for boosted speed natures as smeargle is too fast for neutral.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
I was looking thru the guide, and I think I have a better approach for Palkia. If we use a Smeargle with an air balloon and the move night shade it is possible to test HP and Speed using 1 pokemon.
This allow to have a fainted sync, and Uxie, Mespirit and Azelf and still have room for the captured pokemon. To do this you want a level 82 smeargle with 0 Speed IV, 16 speed EV and the moves Night Shade and spore (and a recovery move). This will put the smeargle 1 speed point below the boosted 31 iv palkia. So if the Air balloon message comes up before pressure reset. Then use night shade, if the palkia HP goes yellow reset, if not use spore and then another night shade to bring it down to 1 HP.
The only problem with this is that it is only possible for boosted speed natures as smeargle is too fast for neutral.
Oh wauw, I haven't thought of that, will change that asap for both Dialga and Palkia.

You do know you can KO Deoxys after capturing Rayquaza and make it respawn later, right? Do not try and SR for it immediately after capturing Rayquaza. This means you can let it wait until Buckert has finalised the information on it
That is exactly what I meant. I'm gonna let Emerald sic himself on Deoyxs, and just capture him later, when I don't have to worry about Delta Emerald's events taking up more of my time.

Minus well, since like I said, I won't be able to Synch a nature for Deoxys anyways.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Then use night shade, if the palkia HP goes yellow reset, if not use spore and then another night shade to bring it down to 1 HP.
It will always be yellow, even with a 31 HP IV. Doing 82 set damage will leave Palkia at 83 HP which still leaves it at 50% which makes the HP bar go yellow. If you want to do the 'if yellow toss' technique then Palkia needs to be on 85 HP (the lowest amount with a 31 IV to leave it at 51%) meaning a level 80 Smeargle, but this only tests for a 28 IV at least (not 30-31). You should still use a level 82 Smeargle but just use 2 Night Shades to bring Palkia to 1HP.

I'm also not sure how you're doing your speed calcs but you can test for both positive speed and neutral with a level 82 Smeargle... Smeargle with a Sassy nature and a 0 speed IV at level 82 reaches 115 speed, neutral speed Palkia is 120. You just can't do a negative speed nature for Palkia (but who wants -speed on a base 100 speed 'mon anyway??)

Buckert

Ok currently working on fixing Dialga and Palkia:

When aiming for +Spe:
Smeargle lvl 86 @ Air Balloon
31/31/31/31/31/00 Sassy
252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Def
Spore / Pain Split / False Swipe / Swords Dance
Stats at 86: 271/xx/91/xx/179/120

Smeargle is designed to check both HP and Speed. Enter the battle. If Smeargle's Air Balloon goes first, reset. If Dialga's Pressure goes first, 31IV in Speed and +Spe nature confirmed. Use Pain Split to check the HP. Dialga has 175 HP at level 50 when it has 31IV in HP, Smeargle has 271 HP with this setup. After 1 Pain Split, Smeargle should have ((175+271=446)/2=223) 223 HP, when still at full health. If Dialga damaged you already, use your current health, add 175 and devide it by 2. Use Pain Split. If Smeargle's HP is lower than what you've calculated, reset. If it's what you've calculated, 31IV in HP confirmed. Use Swords Dance and False Swipe to get it down to 1 HP. You could use one of Lake Trio Pokémon to weaken it a bit.

Since Dialga has a decent capture rate, you could also use Spore as first move. Use Spore, then use an item to get max health. Then use Pain Split to check HP. Dialga has 175 HP at level 50 when it has 31IV in HP, Smeargle has 271 HP with this setup. After 1 Pain Split, Smeargle should have ((175+271=446)/2=223) 223 HP. If not, reset. If Smeargle does have 223 HP, 31IV in HP confirmed.

Still thinking of how to check HP after you got a hit from Dialga and Palkia, since those 2 only have attacking moves. And, should I stick with +Spe and Neutral Spe for both, or should I also do -Spe for Dialga?

EDIT: DONE! Check post #2. :) Thanks to aus_pokedad for pointing this out.

Last edited:
I'm also not sure how you're doing your speed calcs but you can test for both positive speed and neutral with a level 82 Smeargle... Smeargle with a Sassy nature and a 0 speed IV at level 82 reaches 115 speed, neutral speed Palkia is 120. You just can't do a negative speed nature for Palkia (but who wants -speed on a base 100 speed 'mon anyway??)
Oops! I was trying different natures and it looks like my calc was with a neutral nature. In my defence it was after 1 am when I finished working it out 8)

It will always be yellow, even with a 31 HP IV. Doing 82 set damage will leave Palkia at 83 HP which still leaves it at 50% which makes the HP bar go yellow. If you want to do the 'if yellow toss' technique then Palkia needs to be on 85 HP (the lowest amount with a 31 IV to leave it at 51%) meaning a level 80 Smeargle, but this only tests for a 28 IV at least (not 30-31). You should still use a level 82 Smeargle but just use 2 Night Shades to bring Palkia to 1HP.
Does the HP bar colour round to integer as well? I knew every thing in pokemon is integers, but I assumed the colour woud bave been done via subtraction and not needed rounding. But yes a second night shade leaving 1 HP is a viable backup.

Sableye can't learn Spore or Dark Void. Smeargle can Sketch those moves, and virtually anything else needed.
Sableye however CAN check for hp and speed on nearly everything just by coning into battle and using pain split. And why do people insist on dark void? 1 it's damn hard to get on a smeargle, as darkrai can only be encountered ONCE in platnum, 2 spore has a higher accuracy, 3 last time I checked you can't encounter legendary pokemon in doubles, 4 I get that spore can't get virizion to sleep but THAT'S THE ONLY LEGENDARY that spore can't get to sleep.

Also do I have to bring up Breloom AGAIN? It knows odor sleuth, spore, false swipe and has a high atk stat and I'm pretty sure it can learn seismic toss.

Sableye however CAN check for hp and speed on nearly everything just by coning into battle and using pain split. And why do people insist on dark void? 1 it's damn hard to get on a smeargle, as darkrai can only be encountered ONCE in platnum, 2 spore has a higher accuracy, 3 last time I checked you can't encounter legendary pokemon in doubles, 4 I get that spore can't get virizion to sleep but THAT'S THE ONLY LEGENDARY that spore can't get to sleep.

Also do I have to bring up Breloom AGAIN? It knows odor sleuth, spore, false swipe and has a high atk stat and I'm pretty sure it can learn seismic toss.
You can check legendary Pokemon's IV's in many different ways, the ways listed by Buckert are meant to limit the amount of Pokemon needed to give away/breed for. Besides, Smeargle can Sketch Dark Void from its partner Darkrai if you have it. (I don't, but I've already caught Virizion so it matters little) Most can be done with a Smeargle and a Final Gambit Staraptor, so...

You can check legendary Pokemon's IV's in many different ways, the ways listed by Buckert are meant to limit the amount of Pokemon needed to give away/breed for. Besides, Smeargle can Sketch Dark Void from its partner Darkrai if you have it. (I don't, but I've already caught Virizion so it matters little) Most can be done with a Smeargle and a Final Gambit Staraptor, so...
Final gambit staraptor can only check for speed, not HP unless the legendary uses a non damaging move on the first turn, other wise it does an indefinite amount of damage and you don't know the HP until you capture it. Sableye CAN!

Final gambit staraptor can only check for speed, not HP unless the legendary uses a non damaging move on the first turn, other wise it does an indefinite amount of damage and you don't know the HP until you capture it. Sableye CAN!
Use a faster Staraptor that can't lose in Speed to the legendary regardless of how high the legendary's Speed stat is. Staraptor can't check for Speed for the precise reason you stated. (Well it can, but it's better off checking HP.)

It's pretty easy to get Dark Void on Smeargle because you are on a Pokemon forum where we trade and borrow Pokemon from each other, and like you said, Spore is better except on Pokemon that aren't affected by it. If you need Smeargle to Sketch a move, there are lots of NPCs who you can rebattle in Doubles to Sketch.

And we need status moves on Smeargle because we are not just checking for HP and Speed, we are also going to catch the legendary, something made infinitely easier by, you know, inflicting it with status.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok currently working on fixing Dialga and Palkia:

When aiming for +Spe:
Smeargle lvl 86 @ Air Balloon
31/31/31/31/31/00 Sassy
252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 Sp.Def
Spore / Pain Split / False Swipe / Swords Dance
Stats at 86: 271/xx/91/xx/179/120
Why this instead of Spore / Night Shade / Rock Polish / [filler]? Sure Pain Split does the HP check in 1 turn but then you need to spend 5 turns (against Palkia) setting up Swords Dance and False Swiping to 1 HP, whereas two uses of Night Shade will do the HP test and bring it to 1 HP (at level 82 like we were discussing earlier). This set seems to be done specifically for +speed Dialga (hitting 120 speed) which makes False Swipe even less viable as Dialga's steel typing resists it (only does 14.8 - 17.7% at +6).

Oops! I was trying different natures and it looks like my calc was with a neutral nature. In my defence it was after 1 am when I finished working it out 8)
Heh, you're talking to a fellow Aussie that was also up way past his bedtime :p

Does the HP bar colour round to integer as well? I knew every thing in pokemon is integers, but I assumed the colour woud bave been done via subtraction and not needed rounding. But yes a second night shade leaving 1 HP is a viable backup.
Well yeah... I mean I tested this with Deoxys and he always had a yellow HP bar at 50% despite having a 30-31 IV in HP when caught. I have also been using the PS! damage calculator to determine the HP percentages. If you bring up a blank Palkia set at level 50 and type 83 into the 'current HP' box it will say it's at 50%. (like I said earlier) The lowest HP total that gives 51% is 85 (with a max HP IV). Level 82 Night Shade still works, you should just use it twice to bring it to 1 HP (165 - (82x2) = 1)

Buckert

I've chosen Smeargle since it can be used against every statonary Pokémon in XY and ORAS. You don't HAVE to, use your Breloom if you want. And besides that, if I design something which is hard to get, I RNG abuse it or breed it so I can give it away to you guys. I have a Darkrai so I can get Dark Void on it without any trouble.

Why this instead of Spore / Night Shade / Rock Polish / [filler]? Sure Pain Split does the HP check in 1 turn but then you need to spend 5 turns (against Palkia) setting up Swords Dance and False Swiping to 1 HP, whereas two uses of Night Shade will do the HP test and bring it to 1 HP (at level 82 like we were discussing earlier). This set seems to be done specifically for +speed Dialga (hitting 120 speed) which makes False Swipe even less viable as Dialga's steel typing resists it (only does 14.8 - 17.7% at +6).
Hm yeah I wanted Smeargle to be a bit higher in level so it could take more hits, but I think I could just merge those 2 together. I mean, Dialga and Palkia always have 100% health after 1 Pain Split. I'll replace False Swipe and Swords Dance for Rock Polish and Night Shade.

Edit: I mean, Pain Split lets you check HP and Speed in 1 turn. Spore, Rock Polish and Night Shade are used to bring him down to 1 HP, keep it asleep and outspeed it if you need to Spore again.

Last edited:

Buckert

Just added Neutral Speed Deoxys calculations, check out post #2! SimicCombine gave me a lot of useful information here, I only need to figure out how I can keep Deoxys down to 1 HP when going for +Spe nature.
The problem is:
I need a Pokémon that's faster than Deoxys, able to put it to sleep and to bring it back to 1 HP. This could be a level 97 Night Shader, since Deoxys will have 98 HP after 1 Recover. HP and Speed checks are covered, I only need one other Pokémon to keep it as low as possible and asleep for as long as possible.

You need to fix the catch rate for Reshiram and Zekrom. In ORAS, their catch rate was changed to 3.
Thanks.

I'm using Jibaku's Natu to capture Latias. I captured one with 97 in its HP stat, but the IV checker didn't mention its HP as having a 31 IV. Maybe, a 29 or 30 IV also gives 97 HP at Lv 30 for Latias.

Buckert

I'm using Jibaku's Natu to capture Latias. I captured one with 97 in its HP stat, but the IV checker didn't mention its HP as having a 31 IV. Maybe, a 29 or 30 IV also gives 97 HP at Lv 30 for Latias.
That's because 30 and 31 give the same HP at that level. Works for all Pokémon listed in this thread.

The only ones where a seemingly perfect stat might actually be 29 is with Groudon/Kyogre. A 29 or 28 in HP for Lati@s will appear as 96.

I have a plan to check a speed boosted Deoxys. Unfortunately it is a bit convoluted and requires a few specific pokemon.
Pokemon
Fainted sync in front.
Second Accelgor. Level 70 naive, move Final gambit. Stats HP 193, SpD 108, Sp 294. I get these with IV HP 0, SpD 31, Sp 31 and EV HP 8, SpD 56 and Sp 220, although SpD and Sp could be done with different IV's.
Third Sableye, Level 96, prankster. Stats HP 250, Sp 173. (These don't matter too much the only need is for HP to be even, picked these so 1 sableye could be used for both Rayquazza and Deoxys.) To get the stats I used calm nature and 31 IV's and EV of HP 80 and speed 180. Moves night shade, pain split, imprison, recover.
Fourth Klefki. Prankster, holding lagging tail, moves switcheroo and Heal block. Level ev and iv don't matter too much, but want to guarantee not OHKO, however hopefully die on the second hit. I calculate that level 70, gentle with 31 IV's does the job.
Fifth Smeargle. Level 100, technician, max HP and SpD, and SpD boosting nature. This should give Stats of HP 314, SpD 207. Holding leftovers, moves imprison, recover, spore, False Swipe.

Turn one use final gambit. If Accelgor attacks first reset as speed is wrong.
What to next depends on the move Deoxys uses.
If Deoxys uses Cosmic Power or Recover, the final gambit will go thru. If Deoxys is knocked out, reset as it didn't have max HP. If it survives it will have 1 HP and Accelgor will be knocked out. Choose Klefki to go next. Use Heal block to stop Deoxys from healing for 5 turns. Then use switcheroo to slow deoxys. Then switch into smeargle.
First turn, use spore to put deoxys to sleep. Next move use imprison, This will stop Deoxys using recover as long as smeargle is alive. After this throw balls, using spore and recover as required.
If Deoxys uses Psyco Boost or Hyper Beam Accelgor will be knocked out, (if he survives reset as SpA is aweful (IV 27 or less and -ve nature). Choose Sableye. First move use pain split. If Sableye has less than 223 HP reset as Deoxys did not have perfet HP. Next use imprison to stop Deoxys recovering. Then use night shade twice to bring Deoxys down to 2 HP. At this stage you can either start throwing balls or switch into Klefki and then smeargle. Throwing balls whilst Deoxys is awake is safe because he is incapable of doing any damage to Sableye

Hopefully this makes some sense to everyone.

Just wanted to mention that you can also use a damage calculator with the stats of the 'mons you're using to check HP/ Speed in order to check Attack / Sp. Atk. There's no need to add it to the guide because it is entirely dependent of which Pokémon you're using, its IV's/EV's, Nature, etc. It's worked fine for me so far (except with boosting Pokémon, and then again, I'm about to take care of that with Taunt lol)

Buckert I'm currently SRing Thundurus and I found it is useful to have smeargle hold a lum berry. Thundurus uses Discharge and has a 30% chance of paralyzing Smeargle and ruin the speed check (I use taunt first turn because I don't want him using agility and consume more turns using rockpolish). I think you should add "give smeargle a lum berry" as recommendation for SRing all pokemon with moves that cause status like heatran and the 3 beasts etc. I think it is more important with thundurus because its Prankster ability makes SRing complicated enough.

Last edited:
Is there an easy to get Pokemon that can keep Zygarde asleep? My Smeargle keeps dying even with Focus Sash.
Try giving smeargle Leftovers instead of Focus Sash, with Z being asleep most of the time, it should hopefully keep Smeargle alive. If this isn't enough try a Smeargle with 31 speed IV as this will allow more EV in defense.
If that still isn't enough you could go for a Jolly Level 100 Amoongus holding Leftovers,with moves Spore, Ingrain, Synthesis, and Defense Curl; which I think should be able to live forever against Z. The only difficult thing you need its Hidden ability as Effect spore could end up poisoning Z.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)