Gen 5 Carmen, Broke with Expensive Taste (A Double BW2 RU RMT / 2k Extravaganza)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, and welcome to the most important 2k post on all of smogon ;o. For my 2k post I'm going to be making an RMT for the two BW2 RU teams that I enjoyed using the most at the end of the tier and that I have been using in a RU BW2 mini tour to make it to the finals. The first team (Carmen) is actually a pretty solid team, while still being fun to use (at least imo), while the second team is more of a concept team I use for fun (its still alright, just not nearly as solid).

Alright well lets get started with the first team.

Team Preview:

Alright so during BW2 my favorite type of team to build involved "type-spam" and this team is no different, Psychic and Ghost-types have very similar counters so using Haunter + Jynx to wear down each others counters can often open up the opponent for the other one to sweep. I'm using slightly different Druddigon and Emboar sets than the standard offensive ones, as they form a really solid defensive core which is necessary given that Jynx and Haunter, while fast, are still out-sped by quite a few large threats in the RU meta game. Scarf Buck and Kabutops also help with this while providing utility in momentum and Rapid Spin respectively

The Sets

Carmen (Jynx) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic

Jynx is a highly underrated Pokemon in the BW2 RU meta game, as it is capable of taking on every variation of the most common Pokemon in the tier, often without prediction. Usually frail special sweepers are stopped by Druddigon due to its access to Sucker Punch and Pursuit, but Jynx can easily overcome Druddigon by putting it to sleep with Lovely Kiss and then spamming Ice Beam. 49 points out that Nasty Plot is extremely useful for my endgame match up againt stall teams, as Tomb and Clefable can be worn down pretty easily with the rest of my team, allowing for an easy Jynx sweep. Psychic is chosen over Psyshock, as it OHKOes Kabutops after Stealth Rock (and sometimes even w/o Rocks), it also hits Alomomola much harder. It is almost impossible to switch into Jynx, and if you can eliminate Pokemon with a speed stat greater than 95 it is pretty much gg from there.

Born to Die (Haunter) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

Offensive Life Orb Haunter is also greatly underrated in the BW2 RU meta game, and it functions as one of the best partners possible for LO Jynx, as it is capable of utilizing Destiny Bond in order to take out Spiritomb that try to get clever with Pursuit. Haunter has pretty good coverage with its STAB moves, while Thunderbolt is nice for taking out Alomomola (heavily spammed at the end of BW2 RU) and Qwilfish (limits the number of Spikes it can lay to 0, or 1 if sash). Between Haunter and Jynx, with the right prediction, Alomomola's Scald and Toxic are actually incapable of touching my team.

National Anthem (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock

This is a pretty atypical spread for Druddigon to use in BW2 RU, but it is extremely useful for taking on the many fast Special attackers in the tier such as Manectric, Galvantula, Rotom-C, and Sigilyph that would otherwise give my team a lot of trouble. Druddigon also checks Moltres pretty well with the given spread, which also lets it set up SR reliably on a large portion of the meta game (which is part of the reason this checks Moltres so well). Dragon Tail takes advantage of this spread even more, as it can give a lot of trouble to teams with the Electric-types that give this set more opportunities to shuffle the opponent's team with Stealth Rock up.

Without You (Emboar) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Big Pig is a set that was originally invented by user: Nails to deal with threats like Durant and Escavalier (mostly Durant) which were extremely threatening in the late stages of BW2 RU. Flare Blitz and Hammer Arm deal with the physically offensive threats that Emboar needs to deal with, while still threatening Pokemon that would look to switch in on a more defensive Emboar. Will-O-Wisp is useful for spreading burns to the opponent, while Protect gets Emboar extra leftovers recovery and can scout potentially choice locked opponents.

Radio (Sawsbuck) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Baton Pass
- Double-Edge
- Nature Power

Sawsbuck is probably my BW2 RU boner mon, as it has the capability of running so many different sets so effectively. Sawsbuck allows me to deal with the common Smeargle HO teams by limiting it to one layer of either SR or Spikes and preventing it from putting something to sleep, which spells death in Gen 5 RU. Scarf Sawsbuck is not the most common set for Sawsbuck, however it can take advantage of its nice base 95 speed and powerful STAB move in Double Edge to deal with big threats like Scarf Moltres and LO Galvantula. Baton Pass is really cool if the opponent has something that hard walls Sawsbuck, as it can use BP to gain momentum by dry passing to the appropriate mon that can deal with said wall. Nature Power is EQ in gen 5 with the additional benefit of dodging Sucker Punch.

Gods and Monsters (Kabutops) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Kabutops was the ultimate glue mon in gen 5 RU, providing hazard removal (beating every ghost except the strong af Scarf HP Grass Spiritomb and Defensive Rotom), having useful priority, and being a solid win con. Lum Berry lets it deal with T-wave spam from defensive Uxie and set up on potential Scald Burns from Alomomola. Kabutops is also the Normal and Flying resist for this team which is necessary on pretty much every team.

Carmen (Jynx) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Lovely Kiss
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic

Born to Die (Haunter) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Destiny Bond

National Anthem (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 196 HP / 252 SpD / 60 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Stealth Rock

Without You (Emboar) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 240 HP / 248 Def / 20 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Radio (Sawsbuck) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
Jolly Nature
- Horn Leech
- Baton Pass
- Double-Edge
- Nature Power

Gods and Monsters (Kabutops) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Stone Edge

Team 2 Team Preview

So basically Medicham hits really hard. In RU it was often seen as a Choice Scarf Pokemon, but it was usually written off as being kind of shitty. I wanted to try LO Medicham as it was capable of 2HKOing Alomomola on the switch with High Jump Kick + Thunder Punch. Spike stacking balance seemed like a pretty good style for LO Medicham to fit on given that it pairs exceptionally well with Pursuit Spiritomb, the best Spin Blocker in the tier, and appreciates Spikes Support in order to turn some 2HKOes into OHKOes. The rest of the team just kind of fit together to give me a decent match up with the rest of the tier.

The Sets

BBD (Spiritomb) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pursuit

Spiritomb does quite a few things for this team, first off, its capable of spin blocking pretty much every Cryogonal set with the combo of Sucker Punch and Pursuit (Wisp helps against more defensive sets as well). It also gives opposing offensive teams a lot of trouble with its Black Glasses boosted Sucker Punch and Shadow Sneak. Spiritomb is also capable of dealing with pretty much any variety of Sigilyph which is nice for lifting pressure off of the rest of the team.

Heavy Metal and Reflective (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Ferroseed was actually a pretty cool spiker in RU, as it deals with most variants of Druddigon (just gotta watch out for Sheer Force Flamethrower or band Fire Punch!), while setting up spikes consistently against a ton of threats (such as Kabutops which wears itself down trying to spin). Leech Seed + Protect helps Ferroseed stay healthy while also easing switch ins for other members of the team.

212 (Medicham) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut

LO Medicham is the definition of a nuke, with two powerful STAB moves and coverage in Thunder Punch that is capable of hitting the majority of Psychic types in RU (Sigi, Slowking, etc.). High Jump Kick + Thunder Punch KOes Alomomola after SR (even if they protect for lefties recovery). Bulky Psychic-types like Uxie and Mesprit that don't take much from its moves are easily dealt with by switching to Tomber so it can Pursuit trap them. Its almost impossible for for opposing stall teams to deal with this threat as it is capable of taking out certain key members with a tiny amount of prediction. Bullet Punch is extremely useful for dealing with Fire Blast Aerodactyl which can easily deal with the rest of my team barring Rotom-N.

Wallace (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Toxic SR Druddigon, while much more common in XY RU, was still a pretty solid set in BW2 RU, capable of putting a lot of pressure on opposing balance teams with its powerful Attacks and statusing opposing walls. SR is obviously mandatory on every team especially this one as I have two ghosts capable of keeping them up against pretty much every Rapid Spinner. This also really helps this teams match up with opposing Moltres, as the only other way to deal with it is to revenge kill it with Rotom-N.

Soda (Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Choice Scarf Rotom-N is extremely good in BW2 RU due to its unique speed tier and extremely useful defensive typing (helped out by Levitate), which allows it to switch into and deal with most Durant, and revenge kill threats including Aerodactyl and Choice Scarf Moltres. This team really needed some speed so it didn't rely completely on Spiritomb's Sucker Punch to deal with opposing fast mons, and Rotom-N does just that.

Ice Princess (Cryogonal) @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Offensive LO Cryogonal is something that Afro Smash really brought to Smogon's BW2 RU meta game which differs from the classic SpD support set. Hidden Power Fire deals with the Steel-types that like to switch into Cryo while LO Ice Beam just hits really hard against anything that doesn't resist it. the Speed EVs outspeed positive natured Sigilyph while the remainder are thrown into HP to buff Cryo's solid SpD stat. Cryo is also useful for winning the hazards war, especially given the Pursuit support provided by Spiritomb.

BBD (Spiritomb) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pursuit

HMAR (Ferroseed) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

212 (Medicham) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Thunder Punch
- Bullet Punch
- Psycho Cut

Wallace (Druddigon) @ Leftovers
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 64 SpD / 20 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake

Soda (Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Ice Princess (Cryogonal) @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

So yeah this team has some flaws, such as getting stomped by a well played Entei but it is all in all pretty solid.

So this concludes my 2k RMT barring the part that you all came here for anyways (2k shoutouts ofc). Basically just going to tag people that I like and that have made Smogon a (mostly) enjoyable experience for me.

@_@: Molk Magnemite TRC Lasagne Pearl. Arikado Bouffalant galbia Minus CyclicCompound Robert Alfons

(makeup): (makeup) tennisace jrp Hollywood Sweep Biosci Lemonade. Nova TalkTakesTime The Wolf

slutpower: Lolk Laga Pwnemon Silvershadow234 (pls come back ;-;) Felony Brammi

RU Council: -Tsunami- Afro Smash EonX Hot N Cold New Breed Nicki Minaj :3 SilentVerse

BW2 NU People: Raseri Soulgazer FLCL RiCH HOMiE CA$ED FireMage Cherub Agent cbt Zebraiken Incon Nozzle Shuckleking87 Turtleye Celever Brawlfest

RU Room Auth: barton The Leprechaun innovamania Lyto Kushalos Montsegur migzoo aoemica

Taonu: TROP soviet ebeast Fusxfaranto Imanalt Kenny

Various other RU people: Spirit Leer Oglemi Nails DittoCrow Texas Cloverleaf breh DTC FAJI ium Double01

Various other skype users: Gary2346 Don Honchkrorleone Calloflochie sugarhigh Anty

XY LC people from the brief period I played that: blarajan Obvious Power macle Vileman GlassGlaceon

Random people from tournies and stuff: Finchinator e7e HSA ♥ M Dragon

Basically I tagged people that I have enjoyed interacting with on this site and made this a pretty swell time getting to this ungodly number of posts. If you weren't tagged it means that I probably haven't interacted enough with you or I just forgot, idk this took too long to make :]

Thanks for reading n_n!

Last edited:
yo

cute squads, and a bw2 ru rmt is always somethin i like to see. having played both at least a few times, i feel at least somewhat justified in offering my two cents on things.

i really dislike hp fire jynx on the first team, i'll just be upfront about it; you have haunter to bait durant / esca, emboar to check them, and sleep induction to keep them honest, i see no real value in burning a moveslot and compromising its speed tier on such an excessive coverage option. i get the whole "this can set up haunter to clean" mentality, but unless you're playing half-baked balance, i don't really see things actually playing out that way (in other words, you'd be set if the ladder was still active o_o). i'd really consider nasty plot here, as to at least somewhat reinforce your end-game vs stall, since v.traditional builds, the only 'mons on stall that can take the +2 hit are tomber and clef, which can get chipped away at moderately well. in going with this approach, i'd also consider the use of a dark gem druddigon, utilizing a more offensive spread (i won't push anything in particular, given that drudd speed creep is a way of life) and a moveset of sr / dragon stab / sucker punch / pursuit; the mentality behind this change is to similarly provide somewhat of a quick check to pertinent 'mons (albeit in a more offensive fashion), whilst offering a pursuit utility to isolate 'mons like slowking and clef, bringing them to a point suitable for a jynx sweep. this also allows you to a bit more actively respond to sigi, who isn't really responded to by a spdef drudd, for the most part. it also /might/ be worth considering taunt > dbond here with haunter, but i wouldn't say it's of too great concern.

as for the second team, i won't try to push lo sigi > cham, since i feel obligated to respect your 'flavor pick' here, but i want to make clear that i think it makes the team more wholly consistent :[l] i would consider bullet punch > bp should you keep it, though, as lo aero just runs through this team if it can connect with its edges; i really don't consider giving mesprit / uxie that little bit of extra breathing room to be big enough of a deal to make bp into tomber that gainful, and saccing something, then going to spiritomb to sponge a hit to force a 50-50 seems really nasty to me (especially if that aero user paired it with a crawdaunt or somethin, haha xd).

stay up homie

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
yo

cute squads, and a bw2 ru rmt is always somethin i like to see. having played both at least a few times, i feel at least somewhat justified in offering my two cents on things.

i really dislike hp fire jynx on the first team, i'll just be upfront about it; you have haunter to bait durant / esca, emboar to check them, and sleep induction to keep them honest, i see no real value in burning a moveslot and compromising its speed tier on such an excessive coverage option. i get the whole "this can set up haunter to clean" mentality, but unless you're playing half-baked balance, i don't really see things actually playing out that way (in other words, you'd be set if the ladder was still active o_o). i'd really consider nasty plot here, as to at least somewhat reinforce your end-game vs stall, since v.traditional builds, the only 'mons on stall that can take the +2 hit are tomber and clef, which can get chipped away at moderately well. in going with this approach, i'd also consider the use of a dark gem druddigon, utilizing a more offensive spread (i won't push anything in particular, given that drudd speed creep is a way of life) and a moveset of sr / dragon stab / sucker punch / pursuit; the mentality behind this change is to similarly provide somewhat of a quick check to pertinent 'mons (albeit in a more offensive fashion), whilst offering a pursuit utility to isolate 'mons like slowking and clef, bringing them to a point suitable for a jynx sweep. this also allows you to a bit more actively respond to sigi, who isn't really responded to by a spdef drudd, for the most part. it also /might/ be worth considering taunt > dbond here with haunter, but i wouldn't say it's of too great concern.

as for the second team, i won't try to push lo sigi > cham, since i feel obligated to respect your 'flavor pick' here, but i want to make clear that i think it makes the team more wholly consistent :[l] i would consider bullet punch > bp should you keep it, though, as lo aero just runs through this team if it can connect with its edges; i really don't consider giving mesprit / uxie that little bit of extra breathing room to be big enough of a deal to make bp into tomber that gainful, and saccing something, then going to spiritomb to sponge a hit to force a 50-50 seems really nasty to me (especially if that aero user paired it with a crawdaunt or somethin, haha xd).

stay up homie
Thanks for the rate dude, Nasty Plot on Jynx is actually a pretty good idea so I'll put that on there. I'm not all the way sold on Dark Gem Drud (though it does seem pretty cool), I really wish that the BW2 ladder had more than 0 battles a month so I could test some shit out but what can you do :/.

For the second team Bullet Punch seems like a solid option, I definitely forgot Fire Blast Aerodactyl was a thing when making this team so it puts a lot of extra pressure on Scarf Rotom to stay healthy, and while BP LO Medicham was the main thing I had in mind building my team, but BP was used much less than I expected as Tomb switches into all the things it needs to deal with pretty easy anyways (or they get bopped by Thunder Punch).

Also we should probably play for the finals of that mini tour at some point now that we have thoroughly johned, lol (lets do a Bo1 this time imo ;o).

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
cm uxie gives the first team the d, if it's got max speed and it looks kinda like mola bait though haunter helps (jynx wrecks if it's in but that's not the most reliable thing). not really a fan of teams without a ground type since volt turn can probably clobber it, though you can pressure its drud with jynx, but it still gets a free kill off your drud. so it's not a guaranteed bloose but it's a rough matchup for sure. like, mag + mower forces drud in since you dont have another resist except for your scarfer and then you dont have a dragon resist or a good ice beam resist. also aero gives the team major headaches as it outruns 5/6 mons and you lack a rock resist, and the 6th can't do much damage to the bird.
but your team is built around offensive pressure and outplaying the other guy and none of these (except the aero thing, i think) are issues that cannot be played around. but a lot of them could be really difficult matchups.

i'm too tired to rate team 2 but i think you need sucker punch > toxic on drud to deal with fast shit, spikes + rocks + 2x spin block should be enough antiwall and you really struggle with faststrong mons (archeops, specstile, etc). edit: also maybe fake out > psycho cut medicham

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)