The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I agree with this; if Carr continues to progress then the Raiders will surprise some teams next year. The Rams are no easy win and have shown flashes of returning to that formidable front line at times this year. Arizona and StL - hell, even SF - will be healthy next year and they will be problem matchups for the AFCN.
This makes that schedule look even more formidable. Wouldn't be shocked to see Cleveland go 0-16 next year if Johnny Football busts

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I agree with this; if Carr continues to progress then the Raiders will surprise some teams next year. The Rams are no easy win and have shown flashes of returning to that formidable front line at times this year. Arizona and StL - hell, even SF - will be healthy next year and they will be problem matchups for the AFCN.
SF could very well be the bottom dog in the NFC West next year.

Suh coming back is perfect for a typical cowboys collapse, but maybe this year could be different :?

It's better that he gets to play. Although his crime definitely warranted a suspension. That's probably one of the few times I'm okay with a suspension. The fine is better though.

I just learned that Matt Stafford has a girlfriend, and I think he engaged to her too. (A while ago. :P)
Eh shes alright. A normal person it seems. Won't question Stafford tho because he looks like such a bro. I'm still ashamed of Rodgers and his personal life decisions.

lol eli manning last two years.
Rivers went through hell in 11-12 and made a glorious comeback in 13. Eli went through the same in 12-13 thanks to 0 talent offensively and a backwards OC. Eli gets 0 blame from me for 12-13. He is back as a top 10 qb.

Last edited:
The Raiders will continue Raidering until they fire Reggie mckenzie and get an actual head coach.

Mark Davis is pretty inept as well

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to Frat Stafford for finally settling down, I guess.

No congratulations to Suh, who IMO deserved a suspension. I might be a little biased but people should still be punished for dirty play.

please spare romo :(

Suh is the new James Harrison and the league loves making an example of him, especially to protect it's golden boy rodgers. He could have been more subtle/convincing about it though, like slipping on the first step and sitting his ass down on rodgers lol.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Suh is the new James Harrison and the league loves making an example of him, especially to protect it's golden boy rodgers. He could have been more subtle/convincing about it though, like slipping on the first step and sitting his ass down on rodgers lol.
He didn't get suspended, though. If the league is making an example out of anyone, it's his teammate Dominic Raiola, who WAS (rightfully) suspended for his actions against Ego Ferguson and others.

This may just be me, but I feel like intentionally attempting to injure an opponent is the single most despicable thing one can do on a football field. Not only are you threatening to take away their livelihood and ruin their career, you're quite probably impacting how they go about their everyday lives as well - just look at the thousands of stories of former players having to deal with arthritis or have joints replaced or have to live with irreparable mental damage. In real life, what Suh and Raiola did would be considered assault. It shouldn't go completely unexcused just because of the game (and no, a fine is not a suitable punishment. Punishment should act as a deterrent, and a large number of NFL players have such a flimsy concept of their own wealth that a fine does nothing to stop them from becoming a repeat offender).

Suh should have been suspended, Vontaze Burfict should have been suspended a few weeks ago for the Greg Olsen incident, and Albert Haynesworth should have been suspended a few years ago when he stomped Andre Gurode (fuck Haynesworth, by the way). The NFL says it's trying to take a stance on player safety, and it should back up its word with meaningful actions against its most blatant offenders.

On a more lighthearted note, I decided to dig back through the earlier pages of this thread to track down the offseason/preseason predictions people made. The more amusing ones can be seen below.

Killah said:
As long as that offensive line can keep Cutler upright, between Marshall/Jeffery/Forte they have the capability to put up 500 points this year. Add to that a relatively weak division (they should go 3-1 against the Lions/Vikings, at least), a relatively weak AFC East (again, likely 3-1) and eight other winnable games, I see absolutely no reason why they can't go 10-6 and make the playoffs at worst, potentially beating Green Bay both times and securing the division at 12 or so wins instead.

Cutler has always been underwhelming, but all the pieces are there for him to have huge success this season. Yeah, the same might have been true last season, but Cutler has never exactly struck me as a fast learner and the second year under a new scheme is usually far better than the first. Jeffery is outstanding, Marshall and Forte have always been great, so the rest really lies on Cutler's shoulders. If that offense is as good as it was last year, or better, there's no reason they can't make the playoffs.
xJownage said:
Nfc East:
Redskins (or whatever dumb politicians who dont know what the hell they are talking about make them change their name to): The Redskins are one of the most dangerous teams in the nfl. The offensive power is off the charts, deshaun Jackson, Pierre Garcon, Alfred Morris, RGIII, and a great supporting cast make for a team that is scary good offensively. if their defense can get opponents off the field in a pinch i expect these guys to win the nfc East.

[...]

Jerry Jones i mean cowboys: Gone. Under .500 at least. this is a team with little cap room, awful spending habits, and an inability to play well together. and the negative factors with blaming tony romo for losing them a game every Time he throws a bad pass doesnt help. Maybe he shouldnt have had to try to win his team tha game after throwing 6 TDs against the broncos. nope he had to throw one pick. obviously that means romo sucks right? Why didnt he just not throw 6 TDs and for close to 500 yards, he wouldve taken less blame. Dallas has lost offensive parts and defensive parts and cant add shit during the offseason due to no cap room. bye cowboys relevance and sorry romo will be out of the nfl in 1 year due to bad fans and stupid media.

Giants: Didnt do all too much this season but all they needed to do was train eli manning not to throw more picks than they have posessions. They didnt have too many needs to fill and ended up quiet and efficient in the offseason. Will be decent, but its really hard to tell and thats only if manning doesnt throw 90 picks.
some hero said:
Because look at what happened to weeden. Since he left a bad team he looks great.
xJownage said:
Gus Bradley has been very smart in his tenure so far, and i believe firmly that in tacticality he will not start Blake Bortles unless henne gets injured for the duration of the season.
Pretzels said:
DROTY:Clowney
LonelyNess said:
NFC South - Saints - 14-2

Goddamn the saints look scary. Probably the 3rd best offense in the league (Behind the Broncos and Packers), and a seriously underrated defense, I think that with their decently easy schedule they should EASILY be able to walk away with the #1 seed in the NFC (Only the NFC North games should be all that difficult for them as I think they outclass the entirety of the AFC North and they were 2nd in division which means easy pickings on teams like the Cowboys). The Falcons are like "Saints Light", having a good, but worse than Saints offense, and a decent but worse than Saints defense. The Bucs suffered a lot of losses during the offseason and really squandered the 3 years where they had a super good / young roster because now they have to actually pay their players. The Panthers are paying for previous management's terrible payment decisions and are in for a serious decline on both sides of the ball.
some hero said:
Im happy because I have McFadden in all my leagues and a new qb will revive the raiders offense and McFaddens career. The Raiders may even make the playoffs with a 9-7 record. They're certainly better than the chargers and chiefs(not really saying much because those teams suck).

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
the best part of all those terribly wrong educated guesses is that the posters in this thread are right about as much, if not more of the time, than the so-called "experts" on TV and in the media

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
In fairness 4 of those 7 are from some hero and xJownage, and one from LonelyNess. Pretzels wasn't crazy for thinking Clowney would be great, and Killah fell into the time honored trap of believing in one Jay Cutler.

On the whole I think we do rather alright here with predicting/analyses at smogon.

Guys, the season is pretty much over. Every year there is an image that captures the season and the first thing that comes to mind when I look back. These two are from 2013(Romo) and 2012(rg3). Both of these images bring a tear to my eye every time I remember their respective reasons. I still need to create a gif of Vernon Davis crying for 2011 and I ain't doing one for 2010 because the image of that season brings despair and pain. I haven't decided what 2014 will look like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)