np: UU Stage 1 - Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lopunny moved from RU to OU
Altaria moved from UU to OU
Gallade moved from RU to OU
Medicham moved from OU to UU*

Lol. gg

We didn't lose Jirachi. Today was a sad day.

If the usage stats had been centered around 3.41% like usual, we would have gained heracross. This was a very disappointing tier shift, the only thing we gained was medicham

Who the hell uses Salamence in OU!?! o.o

No, seriously, it is just scraping the viability list at the D-rank! For what reason could you possibly use Salamence without it's mega stone!? o.o

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We didn't lose Jirachi. Today was a sad day.

If the usage stats had been centered around 3.41% like usual, we would have gained heracross. This was a very disappointing tier shift, the only thing we gained was medicham
Even then they placed Medicham right back into BL, so the tier basically didn't change one bit :[

naw that was mega medicham, we still have regular medicham

edit:
| 57 | Scrafty | 4.215% |
| 64 | Trevenant | 3.616% |
stop using these. i mean scrafty was used more than gligar lmao

Last edited:
Who the hell uses Salamence in OU!?! o.o

No, seriously, it is just scraping the viability list at the D-rank! For what reason could you possibly use Salamence without it's mega stone!? o.o
I believe there was still a few days in December where Mence was still allowed which were enough to keep it barely above the exceedingly low bar that was set to move a pokemon down.

Think about it this way: we kept Altaria even though Altarianite was banned for the majority of the month; same thing happened here.

I believe there was still a few days in December where Mence was still allowed which were enough to keep it barely above the exceedingly low bar that was set to move a pokemon down.

Think about it this way: we kept Altaria even though Altarianite was banned for the majority of the month; same thing happened here.
iirc the ou council banned salamencite right before the december tier shifts so mega mence was never in ou in december

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well dang. I was looking forward to seeing some changes. I like the current meta, but the early stages after tier shifts are always my favorite times to build.

Oh well. Maybe Medicham will see some use as a fighting type that Crobat doesn't want to switch into? (Spoiler alert: probably not.)

iirc the ou council banned salamencite right before the december tier shifts so mega mence was never in ou in december
You're right; upon second inspection the reason for Mence's non-zero usage comes from this:
  • The usage numbers are a weighted average of this month's and last month's stats in a 1:5 ratio (1 part November, 5 parts December)
If we're to assume that in December, Salamence was used approximately as often as it was before ORAS introduced Salamencite (according to September's OU tiering stats, ~1.5%), it easily explains the number we see in this month's tiering stats.

You're right; upon second inspection the reason for Mence's non-zero usage comes from this:

If we're to assume that in December, Salamence was used approximately as often as it was before ORAS introduced Salamencite (according to September's OU tiering stats, ~1.5%), it easily explains the number we see in this month's tiering stats.
That and the number percentage needed to drop has been lowered so even though Salamence missed the chance to drop there is no way it is gonna stay in OU for long. Maybe next time :/

Even if it does get retested, I can't see Mega Medicham lasting too long before it shoots back up to BL. The only noteworthy counters I can think of are Cofagrigus, Doublade, Spiritomb, Granbull, and Cresselia. If you're running any team that isn't stall or trick room, you're going to lose something. There's literally nothing in the tier that can switch in on HJK/ZH/Fire Punch/Ice Punch, outspeed Mega Medicham on the next turn, and OHKO it.

Last edited:
by the way:
edit:
| 57 | Scrafty | 4.215% |
| 64 | Trevenant | 3.616% |
stop using these. i mean scrafty was used more than gligar lmao
While I don't know how else it could be addressed, I feel like these posts/drawing attention to UU D-rank/RU E-rank hurts more than it helps. When you point out that something sucks, it inspires a lot of people to say "well I better see for myself if it sucks as much as they say!" and by the time they find out that yes, it does suck, the damage is already done in the form of ladder usage.

I agree as much as the next guy that it's ridiculous to have things like Scrafty and Trevenant in the tier, but I can't help but wonder if it'd be more effective to just pretend they don't exist entirely than to accidentally reverse-psychology the 'mons into usage.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
People really like using abilities that have a random chance of working, because they seem really good when their ability activates constantly. Trevenant is pretty fun when Harvest activates all the time, making its Sitrus Berry like a super-charged Lefties. (It's still not GOOD, mind, but it's fun.)

I am so disappointed with these changes. We're going to have to wait another 3 months for rachi to leave, and for other stuff to move down. In exchange , we get a BL mega whose normal form is useless. I really don't want to keep living with this meta right now.

I am so disappointed with these changes. We're going to have to wait another 3 months for rachi to leave, and for other stuff to move down. In exchange , we get a BL mega whose normal form is useless. I really don't want to keep living with this meta right now.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure February is when the regular 3.4% cutoff occurs.

Even if it does get retested, I can't see Mega Medicham lasting too long before it shoots back up to BL. The only noteworthy counters I can think of are Cofagrigus, Doublade, Spiritomb, Granbull, and Cresselia. If you're running any team that isn't stall or trick room, you're going to lose something. There's literally nothing in the tier that can switch in on HJK/ZH/Fire Punch/Ice Punch, outspeed Mega Medicham on the next turn, and OHKO it.
We wouldn't have this problem if Gallade didn't get a Mega Stone. This is the only reason MegaCham got booted from OU.

Anyway I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get Mega Heracross or regular Salamence.

Drought and Drizzle are getting retested though, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)