Other Pokemon of the Week [Starmie]

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I use a similar set but with Taunt over Foul Play. So I can Stop Mega Gyarados from Subing, Taunting and Dragon Dancing as well as burn something the next turn.
This only works if Mega Sableye hasn't mega evolved yet and still has Prankster. Otherwise Gyarados outspeeds and Taunts or Subs before you can taunt it

This only works if Mega Sableye hasn't mega evolved yet and still has Prankster. Otherwise Gyarados outspeeds and Taunts or Subs before you can taunt it
You are right, but the first turn of Mega Evolution, it still has Priority. I guess in the long run, Gyarados would win anyways but it has is uses in my opinion.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
You are right, but the first turn of Mega Evolution, it still has Priority. I guess in the long run, Gyarados would win anyways but it has is uses in my opinion.
In the long run Mega Sableye becomes set-up fodder, as shadow ball / dark pulse only does 10%. It can just Taunt everything on its way and the only things that really stop it are Chesnaught, Quagsire, Unaware Clefable, Amoonguss and strong moves that threaten it (drain punch from chesnaught, hyper voice from sylveon, giga drain from amoonguss) Every stall team has a way to beat it and because its lack of leftovers you can wear it down pretty easily but if your defensive core is weakened it is a huge threat for many stall teams

In the long run Mega Sableye becomes set-up fodder, as shadow ball / dark pulse only does 10%. It can just Taunt everything on its way and the only things that really stop it are Chesnaught, Quagsire, Unaware Clefable, Amoonguss and strong moves that threaten it (drain punch from chesnaught, hyper voice from sylveon, giga drain from amoonguss) Every stall team has a way to beat it and because its lack of leftovers you can wear it down pretty easily but if your defensive core is weakened it is a huge threat for many stall teams
Just a quick nitpick that Mold Breaker allows M-dos to ignore Unaware so Quagsire becomes set up fodder and Clefable is also 2HKoed.

Mega Gyarados is a problem for defensive Unaware Clefable, but by mega evolving and taking advantage of Mold Breaker it usually has to stomach at least one super-effective Moonblast. This usually brings Mega Gyarados below 25% and into KO range of priority. I guess the problem is that a lot of M-Sab stall teams don't have priority unless you're using the M-Sab/Talonflame core.

I like using sableye+klefki to have a one-off priority wisp and priority twave and toxic from klefki. Pseudochecks quite a bit of stuff you havent thought of that might try to set up on you. No one can doubt the power of thunderus/klefki lategame parahax as well.

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def or 252 SpD / 4 Atk
Bold Nature
- Knock Off/Snarl
- Recover
- Night Shade/Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp

Night Shade is very very potent against threats that would normally out stall Sableye in stall teams. More than once this move has gotten me kills on Special attackers that Will 'o Wisp can't stop. Not much to say other than that.

I just saw this on YouTube and thought it was an interesting setup for M-Sableye

Triple Punch Sableye in real life!!! (sort of)

My first competitive ORAS wifi battle against TheDonphanatic! So stoked for Mega-Sabeye in game!

Sableye set for the many requests:

Impish nature
252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
-Power-Up Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Ice Punch
-Recover

blinkie

¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯ dank meme crew
I just saw this on YouTube and thought it was an interesting setup for M-Sableye

My first competitive ORAS wifi battle against TheDonphanatic! So stoked for Mega-Sabeye in game!

Impish nature
-Power-Up Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Ice Punch
-Recover

Why would you use that set...first off PuP is just gimmicky and IMO should not really be used on any mon besides for Kanga. IDK there are a ton of mons that can do this better while also not being complete wastes of your mega slot like SubPup Tini. Also impish nature with max attack EVs also confuses me. Plus it does not really help that you cant even get past your main counters like fairies...Unaware Clef in particular shits all over this set.

Last edited:

Impish nature
-Power-Up Punch
-Sucker Punch
-Ice Punch
-Recover

This sounds pretty interesting, but I doubt it would work. Mega lopunny is almost better in every scenario, fake out has +3 priority (but you can only use it on the first turn, but sucker punch is also unreliable), power up punch gets STAB, hits a lot harder, and is also a lot faster. Mega lopunny lacks recovery, but can work as an offensive heal bell user. I wouldn't really try to use mega sableye as an offensive mon, it's a stall mon, and you should be trying to take advantage of it's fantastic defensive stats instead of it's mediocre offensive stats.

I feel M-Sableye alone makes stall good again. In XY, if the opponent did not have a great matchup, he could get up hazards and start making doubles to prevent defog/spin and get damage on the counters. With M-Sableye on stall a good matchup can win a stall team the game. It might get suspected in the future, not because it is broken itself, but because he makes stall broken. Spdef Victini is a nice partner by the way, as it walls M-Gardevoir, Charizard-Y, Sylveon and beats every common Clefable.

silver97

GUNDELEROS WE DO THE PATTO DI SANGUE
I feel M-Sableye alone makes stall good again. In XY, if the opponent did not have a great matchup, he could get up hazards and start making doubles to prevent defog/spin and get damage on the counters. With M-Sableye on stall a good matchup can win a stall team the game. It might get suspected in the future, not because it is broken itself, but because he makes stall broken. Spdef Victini is a nice partner by the way, as it walls M-Gardevoir, Charizard-Y, Sylveon and beats every common Clefable.
Nah it really Doesn't really make stall broken, there are plenty of ways to get past it, it's just all about keeping up the pressure on it and prevent it from recover the damage, while the lack of leftovers recovery makes easier to accumulate damage through hazards or volt-turn

Yeah, stall isnt broken right now, it is just a really good playstyle right now. Sableye is just so amazing at keeping hazards off your side of the field with magic bounce and blocking rapid spin.

The problem is, if you don't have voltturn on your team keeping up pressure is useless, as stall can recover on the free turns after an attack. Mega Sableye can prevent hazards versus a lot of teams. Obviously not always, but that's why matchup can win you games.

Harumonia Naturia

Banned deucer.
Hoooly fuck. This thing.
This'll definitely get suspected at the very least over the next few months. With respectable bulk, access to reliable recovery, a pseudo-immunity to status via Magic Bounce, a myriad of useful (and annoying) supportive moves, and a nifty typing that gives it only one weakness, Mega Sableye is a Pokemon that every team should be prepared for.
By far the most threatening set in the meta right now is the CM set. If you don't have a Fairy type, you're likely to get fucked by it. One interesting strategy that players have been using is to preserve Prankster by not Mega Evolving and burning and recovering on Physical attackers, and once a special attacker comes in you can mega evolve and outspeed to get a free +1 SpDef before they have a chance to hit you.
And even if it's not running CM, it's still a very viable wall due to its attributes that I listed above. 7.8/10 Mega imo, it's secured a nice position in the OU metagame.

It might not be suspected, since it's not broken or anything, and it doesn't have a bad influence on the metagame. In fact, I think it has a positive influence on the metagame, it has increased the popularity of stall teams, and almost singlehandedly revived an almost dead playstyle. Lots of non fairies can still handle mega sableye. Mega charizard x and y, victini, manaphy, SD poison heal breloom, heatran, etc.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It might not be suspected, since it's not broken or anything, and it doesn't have a bad influence on the metagame. In fact, I think it has a positive influence on the metagame, it has increased the popularity of stall teams, and almost singlehandedly revived an almost dead playstyle. Lots of non fairies can still handle mega sableye. Mega charizard x and y, victini, manaphy, SD poison heal breloom, heatran, etc.
Some of us hate stall and want it dead, thank you very much.

Mega sableye makes facing stall way too reliant on matchup in my opinion. If your pokemon with sr doesn't beat it, you will have to battle without them most likely, which is terrible if you face stall. Most heatran are setup bait for the CM set.
Some of us hate stall and want it dead, thank you very much
Stall is not bad when you can beat it, but facing stall with a mega sableye and knowing you can't win is terrible.

It's come to my notice that there is two things that can mess with Mega-Sableye and give you the edge, if you're given the chance: Physical Fire-Type Pokemon and Guts users.
Well, that is what I thought of when factoring the Calm Mind + WoW the gemstone-eyed imp likes to run on it's set to basicly take hits all day.

I ran a few calcs with Max Attack Zard X and Max Defense M-Eye, and if I am not mistaken, a Flare Blitz from the Fire/Dragon is going to deal at least half. Don't qoute me on this. Likewise, a Life Orb 252 Atk Jolly Infernape using the same move on a Max Def M-Eye deals....161 HP, if my calcs are right, again. Then again, damage rolls. And the opponent will most likely switch...

(( Hurray, this is my first actual post on Smogon's forums, after lurking around since the days of DPP X'D ))

Mega Sableye will still comfortably wall a guts boosted av conkeldurr, but fire types like the charizards, talonflame and ape can definitely scare him out.

Hmmm...yeah, Conkeldurr with the AV really doesn't deal a lot of damage.
Running some different calcs with Max Attack on "durr" and Max Defense on M-Eye when using Knock Off...

60 HP-ish without anything else to factor in. That's barely 20% on a Max HP M-Eye.

This imp scares me a bit.

It's come to my notice that there is two things that can mess with Mega-Sableye and give you the edge, if you're given the chance: Physical Fire-Type Pokemon and Guts users.
Well, that is what I thought of when factoring the Calm Mind + WoW the gemstone-eyed imp likes to run on it's set to basicly take hits all day.

I ran a few calcs with Max Attack Zard X and Max Defense M-Eye, and if I am not mistaken, a Flare Blitz from the Fire/Dragon is going to deal at least half. Don't qoute me on this. Likewise, a Life Orb 252 Atk Jolly Infernape using the same move on a Max Def M-Eye deals....161 HP, if my calcs are right, again. Then again, damage rolls. And the opponent will most likely switch...

(( Hurray, this is my first actual post on Smogon's forums, after lurking around since the days of DPP X'D ))
Not sure which calculator you're using but:

252+ Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 187-222 (61.5 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Some of us hate stall and want it dead, thank you very much.
Then you ought to be glad that the latest metagame stats show the OU metagame is still quite heavily weighted against stall even with M-Sab around. If anything M-Sableye has just reversed one tiny iota of the damage that years of power creep has wrought on the metagame. If you love brief hyper-offensive KO-fests there's always VGC. I really hate to see any faction on Smogon working actively to kill a good playstyle, and it makes me feel like an old fogey that so many younger players seem to consider even a moderately bulky and stallish team "cheap". God knows what these players would have thought of GSC Skarm/Bliss or Umbreon, or RSE Stallrein... ...now *that* was stall.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Then you ought to be glad that the latest metagame stats show the OU metagame is still quite heavily weighted against stall even with M-Sab around. If anything M-Sableye has just reversed one tiny iota of the damage that years of power creep has wrought on the metagame. If you love brief hyper-offensive KO-fests there's always VGC. I really hate to see any faction on Smogon working actively to kill a good playstyle, and it makes me feel like an old fogey that so many younger players seem to consider even a moderately bulky and stallish team "cheap". God knows what these players would have thought of GSC Skarm/Bliss or Umbreon, or RSE Stallrein... ...now *that* was stall.
I don't consider it cheap and understand that it's a legitimate strategy, it's just the passiveness of the playstyle make games too long for my taste and I don't find fighting against them any fun. Also, I'm pretty sure the existence of Stall tactics is what killed official TPCi support for Singles tournaments and why we rarely get good walls from newer Gens.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)