Azumarill (QC: 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empress

33% coffee / 33% alcohol / 34% estrogen
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

BROKEN BUNNY

QC: 0/3
GP: 0/2

Overview
########

+ Huge Power gives it effectively 150 base Attack
+ Has a godly typing for both offense and defense
+ Can run multiple offensive sets, making it unpredictable
+ Being a Fairy-type makes it even more broken in CAP than in OU
+ Has strong 100 / 80 / 80 bulk
+ Has access to priority
- Very slow with only 50 base Speed
- Can be easy to check and revenge kill
- Sometimes has trouble switching into neutral attacks
- Susceptible to all entry hazards
- Has two new checks in the CAP metagame in Mollux and Plasmanta

Belly Drum
########
name: Belly Drum
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Play Rough
move 4: Knock Off / Superpower / Waterfall
ability: Huge Power
item: Sitrus Berry
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

- Belly Drum shoots Azumarill's Attack to 1744. Wowzers.
- Aqua Jet provides Azumarill with a strong STAB priority attack
- Play Rough is Azumarill's second STAB move, hitting staples of the CAP metagame such as Tomohawk and Cyclohm
- Knock Off cripples foes by removing their items
- Superpower has stronger coverage than Knock Off, hitting would-be walls like Ferrothorn, but lacks the utility of Knock Off and lowers Azumarill's stats
- Waterfall can be used for another reliable STAB attack
- Alternatively, Bulldoze can be used if Azumarill is to be used on a Trick Room team in order to get by Plasmanta and Mollux

Set Details
========

- The given EV spread allows Azumarill to outspeed uninvested base 81 Speed Pokemon, particularly Cyclohm, Necturna, and Gyarados
- This Azumarill set is for blowing shit up very quickly
- Sitrus Berry gives Azumarill some HP back that it loses via Belly Drum
- Attack is maximized, and the remaining EVs go in HP to maximize bulk

Usage Tips
========

- This set is all about finding the correct setup fodder
- If the opponent's physical wall has fainted, or their special attacker with a super effective STAB on Azumarill is gone, you are in the clear
- Being a Fairy-type, Azumarill does not struggle against most priority users, but Talonflame and Mega Scizor can present a problem

Team Options
========

- A special attacker will help Azumarill deal with physical walls
- A Fire-type attacker can beat Ferrothorn should you lack Superpower
- A Pokemon that can sponge priority moves makes a great teammate; an ideal choice is Cyclohm
- Pokemon that handle bulky Grass-types, such as Choice Band Talonflame, make good partners
- An Electric-type attacker, such as Thundurus, will help Azumarill get by bulky Water-types
- An entry hazard remover is necessary to make sure Azumarill has as much HP as possible before it uses Belly Drum
- Lati@s and Colossoil have good defensive synergy with Azumarill, so they make great users of Defog and Rapid Spin, respectively
- Assault Vest Colossoil is perfect for removing Mollux and Plasmanta
- Fidgit can provide Trick Room support if Azumarill's low Speed is a problem

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Knock Off / Waterfall
move 4: Superpower / Bulldoze
item: Choice Band
evs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe

Moves
========

- Play Rough is Azumarill's second STAB move, hitting staples of the CAP metagame such as Tomohawk and Cyclohm
- Waterfall provides a more powerful Water-type STAB attack than Aqua Jet
- Superpower has strong coverage, hitting would-be walls like Ferrothorn

Set Details
========

- The given EV spread allows Azumarill to outspeed uninvested base 70 Speed Pokemon
- Choice Band shoots Azumarill's Attack to an effective 654
- 88 EVs in HP and 4 in Defense to minimize the damage Azumarill takes from entry hazards
- Choose Azumarill's fourth move depending on the coverage that will benefit your team the most

Usage Tips
========

- This set is a great wallbreaker, as well as a hit-and-run artist
- Not great at wearing down hyper offense, even with the presence of Aqua Jet
- An opponent can take advantage of Azumarill being Choice-locked, so make sure you switch it out often while keeping entry hazards off the field

Team Options
========

- A Fire-type attacker can beat Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor
- Pokemon that handle bulky Grass-types, such as Choice Band Talonflame, make good partners
- An Electric-type attacker, such as Thundurus, will help Azumarill get by bulky Water-types
- An entry hazard remover is necessary to ease Azumarill with switching in
- Lati@s and Colossoil have good defensive synergy with Azumarill, so they make great users of Defog and Rapid Spin, respectively
- Assault Vest Colossoil is perfect for removing Mollux and Plasmanta
- Fidgit can provide Trick Room support if Azumarill's low Speed is a problem

Assault Vest
########
name: Assault Vest
move 1: Aqua Jet
move 2: Play Rough
item: Assault Vest
evs: 16 HP / 252 Atk / 240 SpD

Moves
========

- Waterfall provides a more powerful Water-type STAB attack than Aqua Jet
- Superpower has strong coverage, hitting would-be walls like Ferrothorn
- Bulldoze provides alternative coverage, hitting Plasmanta and Mollux. Thanks to Assault Vest, Azumarill can take a hit from either of those two Pokemon and Bulldoze back

Set Details
========

- The given EV spread maximizes Azumarill's special bulk
- This Azumarill is a bulky wallbreaker
- Assault Vest raises Azumarill's Special Defense to a very high 399, sponging super effective hits from Pokemon such as Mollux

Usage Tips
========

- This set struggles with physical walls
- Works primarily as an offensive pivot and a special tank
- Despite Azumarill's all-around bulk, it cannot afford to switch in often
- Assault Vest allows Azumarill to check a lot of Pokemon it could not before

Team Options
========

- A Fire-type attacker can beat Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor
- An entry hazard remover is necessary to ease Azumarill with switching in

Other Options
########

- Azumarill has few legitimate other options
- Life Orb can be used on the Choice Band set if you do not want to be locked into a move, but the recoil will wear Azumarill down quickly
- Aqua Tail is more powerful than Waterfall, but is less reliable with 90% accuracy
- It learns Encore, but Azumarill shouldn't be doing anything other than attacking
- If Azumarill is to be used on a Trick Room team, its stat spread should be 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with a Brave nature, but Trick Room is a niche playstyle

Checks & Counters
########

**Water Immune Poison-types**: Mollux and Plasmanta wall all of Azumarill's moves save for Knock Off, and threaten back with their Poison-type STAB moves.

**Physical Walls**: Even in the Belly Drum set, dedicated physical walls can take Azumarill's attacks. Skarmory and Mega Scizor are great answers to it.

**Bulky Grass-types**: Grass-types wall Azumarill's Water-type STAB attacks. The Grass/Poison-types Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss wall all its attacks, though Amoonguss still has to watch out for Knock Off.

**Bulky Water-types**: Rotom-W and Intimidate Gyarados can both wall Azumarill, with Rotom-W being the better choice because it can use Will-O-Wisp to cripple Azumarill's Attack, and hit it super effectively with its Electric-type STAB moves.

**Entry Hazards**: Azumarill is vulnerable to all types of entry hazards. As it will often need to switch in and out, even on its Belly Drum set, Spikes and Stealth Rock will wear it down quickly.

**Faster attackers**: Azumarill is slow, so a faster attacker with a super effective move can put a serious dent in its health.

Last edited:
"- Assault Vest raises Aurumoth's Special Defense to a very high 399, sponging super effective hits from Pokemon such as Mollux"

You meant Azumarill, not Aurumoth, right?

Empress

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
"- Assault Vest raises Aurumoth's Special Defense to a very high 399, sponging super effective hits from Pokemon such as Mollux"

You meant Azumarill, not Aurumoth, right?
Yes I did lol. They both start with A and were both my analyses, so...

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mollux needs a mention in the check and counters section as it doesn't give a fuck about anything Azumarill can do save Knock Off, and can easily OHKO or 2HKO with Sludge Bomb depending on the set. The same can be said about Plasmanta and its STAB Thunderbolts. You could probably mention Pursuit Colossoil somewhere as its the best check to both these mons.

Empress

Mollux needs a mention in the check and counters section as it doesn't give a fuck about anything Azumarill can do save Knock Off, and can easily OHKO or 2HKO with Sludge Bomb depending on the set. The same can be said about Plasmanta and its STAB Thunderbolts. You could probably mention Pursuit Colossoil somewhere as its the best check to both these mons.
Done.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
Azumarill can ruin Mollux's day (and Plasmanta) with Bulldoze, I suggest listing it as an option if smashing the snail really is a high priority

Empress

Azumarill can ruin Mollux's day (and Plasmanta) with Bulldoze, I suggest listing it as an option if smashing the snail really is a high priority
1) I didn't even know it learned that. Editing now.
2) The return of Vry! Where have you been bro?

Given Mollux's high usage and the introduction of Plasmanta, I think that Bulldoze deserves a slash in the Choice Band and Assault Vest sets. Belly Drum doesn't have room for it really, since it's outsped+KOed by Mollux and Plasmanta anyway. However, Choice Band could definitely run it in the fourth slot to easily OHKO Mollux and Plasmanta that think they can get a free switch-in. Assault Vest can run it exceptionally well, since it can actually tank a hit from the two, and threaten back with Bulldoze. Even if the foe switches out, you get a handy Speed drop on the switch-in, which is cool.

So imo, it's a legit coverage option in the CAP metagame, since it destroys two Pokemon (one that's top 5 in usage!) that wall Azu's traditional OU sets. While AV might not be a great set right now due to a certain ninja frog, I could totally see AV Azu rising back up in popularity once it's banned, and sponging a hit from+OHKOing one of the most common special attackers is quite handy.

Empress

Given Mollux's high usage and the introduction of Plasmanta, I think that Bulldoze deserves a slash in the Choice Band and Assault Vest sets. Belly Drum doesn't have room for it really, since it's outsped+KOed by Mollux and Plasmanta anyway. However, Choice Band could definitely run it in the fourth slot to easily OHKO Mollux and Plasmanta that think they can get a free switch-in. Assault Vest can run it exceptionally well, since it can actually tank a hit from the two, and threaten back with Bulldoze. Even if the foe switches out, you get a handy Speed drop on the switch-in, which is cool.

So imo, it's a legit coverage option in the CAP metagame, since it destroys two Pokemon (one that's top 5 in usage!) that wall Azu's traditional OU sets. While AV might not be a great set right now due to a certain ninja frog, I could totally see AV Azu rising back up in popularity once it's banned, and sponging a hit from+OHKOing one of the most common special attackers is quite handy.
Sounds like a plan. What should I slash Bulldoze alongside?

Hmm, personally I'd think the 3rd/4th slashes in CB/AV should look like:

by the logic of
strong utility move / stronger STAB
ferro coverage / mollux coverage

Even though Mollux is more common than Ferro, I still think Superpower should go in front due to it being the stronger coverage option, also being helpful versus mons such as Chansey on occasion.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Just want to say that when doing TR, I would use Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, Play Rough, and Bulldoze. Bulldoze is fantastic pretty much for the reasons listed already... manta and mollux hate the move, but realistically it won't even hit them unless Zu is running A-Vest or if Zu is in TR.

Empress

Just want to say that when doing TR, I would use Belly Drum, Aqua Jet, Play Rough, and Bulldoze. Bulldoze is fantastic pretty much for the reasons listed already... manta and mollux hate the move, but realistically it won't even hit them unless Zu is running A-Vest or if Zu is in TR.
All changes implemented. Also, since you brought up Trick Room, I added Fidgit to the list of team options for some of the sets.

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think there's a decent argument for bulldoze being on the drum set. Specifically Trick Room Azu should be either Belly Drum of Band, as AV is best left to something that actually needs the bulk. Being able to Belly Drum in TR, then wreck with good moves, and then still have a +6 aqua jet when TR wears off is exactly what makes Azu a player on TR.

Of course, TR is very niche and is far from Azu's only strengths. Overall, it's just something to be noted. But the main point here is that Bulldoze is just great in the CAP meta, on almost any Azu set.

I will say though that in theory we could talk about an actual TR set, since the speed EVs would be fairly different. At the very least, it's something to briefly discuss. Even if enough people approve of the set, it should probably be listed only in the last set slot.

cbrevan

spin, spin, spin
is a CAP Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Belly Drum Azumarill should really only be running Aqua Jet, Play Rough, and Knock Off as its attacking moves. Waterfall has always been a subpar option on it, as it leaves it hard walled by Ferrothorn and Mega Venusaur, and Aqua Jet will already KO anything weak to Water after the boost. Its really only noticeable niche was hitting Skarmory and other defensive Steels not named Ferrothorn for massive damage. Superpower was really just for getting past Ferrothorn, since it would completely wall any other move Azumarill threw at it. With the advent of the ORAS mmove tutors, Azumaril has finally gotten the coverage move its always wanted in Knock Off. Behold:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Pyroak: 357-421 (80.5 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 291-343 (87.1 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 344-405 (97.7 - 115%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Plasmanta: 328-386 (101.2 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

These aren't even with Stealth Rock up. Knock Off hits everything Superpower and Waterfall every could have wanted with one move slot, as well as being able to remove items. As for Bulldoze, its just an inferior option on Belly Drum, it still leaves it walled by stuff like Skarmory, while failing to OHKO Ferrothorn like Knock Off can. Unless you want to be killing Mollux or Plasmanta before you boost, which isn't really the priority of the set, you should just be running Knock Off. If you really want, I suppose it can be mentioned in the Set Details, but just don't slash it on the set.

On Trick Room, just keep it on Team Options, its not that big of difference set wise, just mention to change the Speed IV's and EV's to zero. Be sure to emphasize it on the Belly Drum set as its an excellent mon for Trick Room teams, providing a solid win condition that can maintain its presence outside of Trick Room.

Quick thought on Speed EVs for the Belly Drum set-- 252 EVs with Adamant is just enough to outpace bulky base 80s/81s (Cyclohm/Necturna), which I think is a much more important benchmark for Azu than base 70s. Personally, I'm running 4 HP / 252+ Atk / 252 Spe on all BD Azu right now since this allows it to sweep past these otherwise hard checks.

Agreeing w/ Trick Room point above; 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def with Brave nature and 0 Spe IVs (or something along those lines) can be mentioned as an alternate spread with Trick Room support.

Snobalt, if this project does get dropped, is it alright if I can take it over? I have experience with Azumarill in the CAP Metagame, as it is in the team I most frequently use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)