The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
If you just hate the cowboys quit complaining about the PA call, you guys seriously are like little kids.

"faceguarding" is completely legal in the NFL, if you directly impede the reciever from attempting to get the ball by physically moving him, it is a penalty.

On the play, the defender clearly did not grab onto or otherwise change pettigrew's route/movement, rather, he positioned himself in between the ball and pettigrew. Minimal contact does not change this.

It has been said before, holding is inconsistently called and complaining about them is pretty retarded because i could pull up 4 examples of detroit penalties that MATTERED that were not called just by watching the game again. So really, quit complaining about this since you all look like butthurt babies.

IDGAF what you say about the panthers "not deserving their win," I would have probably picked them on the road as well considering arizona has no qb. Also, they are peaking at the right time and are playing much, much better than a 7-8-1 team (however much they almost gave the game away). This team has TALENT.

I wasn't complaining about any of the calls, I was just hoping they would lose. I hope they lose every single game they play. I'm a Texans fan btw. :p

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Faceguarding is putting your hands in someone's face without initiating contact or incidentally initiating minimal contact to impede his vision. Pass interference is “contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts opponents’ opportunity to make the catch.” Hitchens made contact. Hitchens was not playing the ball. Pettigrew's opportunity to make the catch was restricted. Not to mention that Hitchens grabbed Pettigrew's jersey less than one second before the pass interference, which was a missed holding call. And that Dez Bryant ran onto the field with no helmet to argue with the ref, which was a missed unsportsmanlike conduct call. You could possibly argue that Pettigrew committed illegal hands to the face on the same play, but to say that Hitchens did not commit at least two fouls on the play is just explicitly wrong.

Detroit had other opportunities to win that game, but that was a bad call plain and simple that significantly hindered Detroit's ability to win the game. Detroit made other blunders, like failing to go for it on fourth-and-1 when you have so many offensive weapons and shanking the punt. Whether the officiating errors decided the game is debatable (Detroit did not play a great game, though I definitely believe they outplayed Dallas), but whether the flag should have been picked up is not.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Faceguarding is putting your hands in someone's face without initiating contact or incidentally initiating minimal contact to impede his vision. Pass interference is “contact by a player who is not playing the ball that restricts opponents’ opportunity to make the catch.” Hitchens made contact. Hitchens was not playing the ball. Pettigrew's opportunity to make the catch was restricted. Not to mention that Hitchens grabbed Pettigrew's jersey less than one second before the pass interference, which was a missed holding call. And that Dez Bryant ran onto the field with no helmet to argue with the ref, which was a missed unsportsmanlike conduct call. You could possibly argue that Pettigrew committed illegal hands to the face on the same play, but to say that Hitchens did not commit at least two fouls on the play is just explicitly wrong.

Detroit had other opportunities to win that game, but that was a bad call plain and simple that significantly hindered Detroit's ability to win the game. Detroit made other blunders, like failing to go for it on fourth-and-1 when you have so many offensive weapons and shanking the punt. Whether the officiating errors decided the game is debatable (Detroit did not play a great game, though I definitely believe they outplayed Dallas), but whether the flag should have been picked up is not.
I think, if I were you, I'd be complaining more about the missed DH penalty than the picked up flag. I watched the play over and over, and although there was technically a little contact I don't believe it was enough to move Pettigrew or restrict his ability to catch the ball. He was going to have to go back through Hitchens' body anyway, and the contact was so minor that it didn't matter in the overall play. Now, Hitchens DID clearly grab the jersey so that's a missed DH call, but eh what are you going to do? That happens very frequently and is periodically missed. Just stop exaggerating the DPI as if the defender grabbed and piledrove the TE, because that's not what happened. The contact on the play was minor at best as both players were moving the same way and Pettigrew did not stop to come back to the ball.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
As far as the Dez thing, I've read that since he didn't take his helmet off on the field of play (he already had his helmet off when coming in from the sideline) that he technically didn't break any rules there but what do I know.

What is it with Patriots fans never giving us credit? How big of a win would it take over you guys next week for you to say "fuck, props to the Ravens - they deserved the win"? I bet if we win I'm gonna see a "Patriots shot themselves in a foot" type post. I'm a homer in the heat of the moment but after the emotions of a game cool down I'd like to think I can look at things rationally and give credit where it's due.
In 2011 The Ravens lost off a Lee Evans Drop, and a Cundiff miss

What do you think Ravens fans said about that loss? Do you think they said the patriots deserved the win? Or did they say "Fuck, props to the Patriots - they deserved the win." All I saw was the "Ravens shot themselves in the foot" type of reactions after that game.

Its a 2 way street here.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In 2011 The Ravens lost off a Lee Evans Drop, and a Cundiff miss

What do you think Ravens fans said about that loss? Do you think they said the patriots deserved the win? Or did they say "Fuck, props to the Patriots - they deserved the win." All I saw was the "Ravens shot themselves in the foot" type of reactions after that game.

Its a 2 way street here.
Yeah I guess I'm guilty of that. Especially that missed field goal, fuck me even I can hit a 29 yarder. That game still makes me furious to this day.

It's been almost 2 years but that Peyton loss to the Ravens in 2013(2012 season) still haunts me. I used to wake up with cold sweat every night hearing that announcer scream "its over in Denver!" and I grew to hate the Ravens for what they did to poor Peyton. Up to that point the Ravens were a team I always rooted for because of the star players it was filled with. Peyton tore a new asshole on the Ravens(and the league) in 2013 and I thought I was over it. But I wasn't until this week. I've been thinking and it's time to move on. The 2012 Broncos were more talented than the Patriots, sure, but Peyton would have probably choked against them anyway. Like always. The Ravens beat the Patriots and after that they beat the 49ers. The only team I hate more than the Patriots. So really, it was a tough loss but i'm ready to forgive guys. From now on i'm going to root for the Ravens again.

So with the Ravens added to the list, the only teams I do not want to win the super bowl are the Patriots and the Cowboys. Everyone else deserves it.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I stopped reading
Awww did my realistic look at your Bills 11th ranked total rush yards, 14th ranked per carry yards hurt your feelings? A Dline getting penetration like they do falling so far down is a testament to how they clearly don't do it as well as they could.

Unless you're referring to my calling out of Detroit, which would be fair if you ignored everything but this year.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
WHY WOULD YOU BE TALKING ABOUT ANY OTHER YEAR EXCEPT THIS ONE

you know, the one in which they were fucking DOMINANT and allowed under 70 yards rushing per game

WHY WOULD YOU BE TALKING ABOUT ANY OTHER YEAR EXCEPT THIS ONE

you know, the one in which they were fucking DOMINANT and allowed under 70 yards rushing per game
I hate to poke into this, but they did give up 140ish yards rushing to the Raiders and Carr only got sacked once. I agree the Bills Dline was awesome but consistency means a great deal.

TheValkyries

DM

Well firstly, because I don't respect groups based on a single year of great play because sometimes shit just goes a certain way in a single year. But also because pass rush first DLines will occasionally have good years defending the run (Arizona last year, SF a few years back) and then have less consistent success with almost the same personnel because they aren't allowed to sell out as hard on stopping the obvious runs. I mean let's just ignore the field day that Eddie Lacy had on them two weeks ago and you can still see that they weren't as lights out against teams that would run more diverse looks.

But hey I could be wrong about them given their past of generally being solely a pass rushing DLine maybe this is the first year in which they are a truly dominant DLine that I can start giving respect to. DOUBT IT THO.

Or I could just say yeah they're totally fucking great because of this one year of play, and all those other years were missed chances just like RGIII is great and how he just needs some room to develop and work to be as great again.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The penalty on Hitchens should have been called. So, however, should numerous other penalties over the course of the game, some on the Cowboys, some on the Lions. The game was terribly officiated on all fronts and the bigger contributors to the Lions' loss IMO were Stafford's fumbles and the Detroit offense's general second-half ineptitude.

Also I am 800% hyped for the showdown in Lambeau. Two of the most storied franchises in NFL history, in one of, if not THE greatest stadium of all time, one team undefeated at home and the other undefeated on the road, with the two quarterbacks being the two frontrunners in the MVP conversation not named J.J. Watt? Sign me the fuck up.

having closely watched both games for the lamest reason ever (aka fantasy football):

DM

I mean let's just ignore the field day that Eddie Lacy had on them two weeks ago and you can still see that they weren't as lights out against teams that would run more diverse looks.
In that game, Lacy ran for about 55 yards on 3 consecutive plays on a single hurry up drive where both Bills DTs (Dareus/Williams) were resting at the same time, and managed about 40 yards the rest of the game. either way 15/97 is a good day, sure, but hardly a "field day" especially given just a little bit of context.

I hate to poke into this, but they did give up 140ish yards rushing to the Raiders and Carr only got sacked once. I agree the Bills Dline was awesome but consistency means a great deal.
2nd quarter, Marcell Dareus got hurt, and suddenly Oakland was able to run the ball. up until that point, Oakland had three 3 and outs, one 50 yard pass play, and probably like 5 rushing yards. then, suddenly without PFF's highest rated run-stuffing DT, Oakland was able to run the ball at least somewhat effectively (23/86 from Murray isn't exactly a great day regardless).

(Dareus also missed the not important Pats game, which as a team went 25/116)

the Bills' front four has been elite this year, but lack of depth at DT hurt them at least statistically down the stretch. you can't just look at a single season's worth of stats, sure, but the Bills' line has definitely passed the eye test this season and having 3/4 defensive linemen make the pro bowl is a pretty good testament to that :^)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't the Bills' DLine been good the last few years at least? I seem to remember them racking up the sacks in multiple seasons as well as INTs when Byrd was still there. I might be misremembering though, someone with actual numbers can feel free to correct me.

TheValkyries

Yall know that DM was referring to my comment about the Lions, right? Not the Bills. The Bills are quantifiably THIS YEAR a pass rush first just above average run defense DLine, let alone other years.

The Lions were ranked first against the run THIS YEAR, but I'm arguing that I don't expect them to maintain that kind of success, so I don't really respect their success on that front yet.

And WaterBomb yeah the Bills have had a couple of nose tackles who are monsters for a while, and this and last year started getting real production from their DEnds as well.

The ravens have led the league in yards gained from pass interference in 4 of the last 5 years

Torrey smith leads the league in drawn PI Calls and Joe Flacco leads the league in balls thrown that have lead to DPI.

Last edited:

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
The ravens have led the league in yards gained from pass interference in 4 of the last 5 years

Torrey smith leads the league in drawn PI Calls and Joe Flacco leads the league in balls thrown that have lead to DPI.
This could potentially be a misleading stat, as it might just be volume based since the Ravens throw deep a LOT. I'm sure some people would assume this means they are being favored by the refs or intentionally try to draw DPI, but I think it's just a by-product of a team that chucks up deep balls multiple times a game

This could potentially be a misleading stat, as it might just be volume based since the Ravens throw deep a LOT. I'm sure some people would assume this means they are being favored by the refs or intentionally try to draw DPI, but I think it's just a by-product of a team that chucks up deep balls multiple times a game
The Problem with the Flacco is that he constantly underthrows his passes and the NFL rewards him with spot fouls.

The NFL rewards his Fuck it and chuck it mindset due to these ludicrous PI rules.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I was curious about Waterbomb's point about volume possibly inflating Flacco's stat, so I decided to look up the percentage of total passes thrown (with the penalties added back into that number) that led to DPI being called for the four quarterbacks shown on the ESPN graphic that Pretzels is probably pulling his stats from.

Flacco: 15/569 (2.64%)
Brady: 11/593 (1.85%)
E. Manning: 10/611 (1.64%)
P. Manning: 10/607 (1.65%)

Obviously this is an incredibly flawed means of analysis, as it doesn't account for uncatchable balls or other defensive penalties in the attempts number, but it does paint a rough picture, and Flacco does seem to draw DPI at a greater frequency than other quarterbacks.

I'd love to look up deep ball stats to see if a high volume of those type of passes is what's causing the discrepancy, but the only place that seems to have them is PFF, which I'm not subscribed to. So that's not happening unless someone else feels like doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)