Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Indeed. I've decided I'll breed another Gigalith (first one has no room for Explosion amidst its utilities; second is too heavily skewed in EVs toward Assault Vest tanking plus lacks Sturdy) and Ferrothorn. Golem can easily make do without Heavy Slam, there only because I'd seen the mileage Hariyama got from it.

I suggest keeping Sucker Punch on yours if only because there were a number of situations where the priority plus turn order gave it an especially valuable niche as killer when any other attack would have seen Golem felled to a move like Aqua Jet. I do recall a replay during which it punked Escavalier4 on its Custap turn. There were occasions where something would have outsped it, such as Slowking, and then there's simply the occasions its partner(s) were easily capable of dispatching an enemy themselves each, making SP riskless and saving its spread damage for another turn.

turskain , I'm going to bet that, for Pokemon with only one non-hidden ability, the odds of non-hidden to hidden are 2:1. This is entirely anecdotal, but when R Inanimate mentioned having the sense that that's how it played out, I found myself thinking that sounded right as well. I'm guessing that it generates the ability SLOT randomly. For most Pokemon, they have one ability in slot 1, one ablity in slot 2, and a hidden ability in slot 3. But for Pokemon like Thundurus, the non-hidden ability (in this case, Prankster) occupies slots 1 and 2. I've been thinking about actually testing this with my team (since Truant lets me check abilities), but unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of the time I play Singles is when I don't have the time or resources to document abilities. I'll try to pick out all of the two-ability Pokemon and document maybe ten battles a day on weekends, though, since it would be nice to know.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
turskain , I'm going to bet that, for Pokemon with only one non-hidden ability, the odds of non-hidden to hidden are 2:1. This is entirely anecdotal, but when R Inanimate mentioned having the sense that that's how it played out, I found myself thinking that sounded right as well. I'm guessing that it generates the ability SLOT randomly. For most Pokemon, they have one ability in slot 1, one ablity in slot 2, and a hidden ability in slot 3. But for Pokemon like Thundurus, the non-hidden ability (in this case, Prankster) occupies slots 1 and 2. I've been thinking about actually testing this with my team (since Truant lets me check abilities), but unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of the time I play Singles is when I don't have the time or resources to document abilities. I'll try to pick out all of the two-ability Pokemon and document maybe ten battles a day on weekends, though, since it would be nice to know.
i'm in the process of doing that myself too because I already had the impression it was 2:1 (also makes more sense from a programming standpoint for reasons you already stated). I'm still on an XY triples streak and Manectric's Intimidate lets me check a lot of abilities on lead Pokemon (e.g. Clear Body Carbink, Defiant Empoleon) in addition to abilities that announce themselves (e.g. Pressure/Intimidate), and I started keeping track of any abilities I can identify on Pokemon with only one regular ability about 30 battles ago. So far the numbers I have identified are 12 regular vs. 6 hidden so it seems like 2:1 is spot on, although I'm aware this sample size sucks. I intend to continue doing this until I lose or reach a more solid sample size, however.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
i'm in the process of doing that myself too because I already had the impression it was 2:1 (also makes more sense from a programming standpoint for reasons you already stated). I'm still on an XY triples streak and Manectric's Intimidate lets me check a lot of abilities on lead Pokemon (e.g. Clear Body Carbink, Defiant Empoleon) in addition to abilities that announce themselves (e.g. Pressure/Intimidate), and I started keeping track of any abilities I can identify on Pokemon with only one regular ability about 30 battles ago. So far the numbers I have identified are 12 regular vs. 6 hidden so it seems like 2:1 is spot on, although I'm aware this sample size sucks. I intend to continue doing this until I lose or reach a more solid sample size, however.
Well, I'll be damned. "Insufficient data", but I collected six instances of regular ability on 2-abilitiers and 3 instances of HA (only obvious telegraphs, which were auto-weather, Pressure birds/dogs and Speed Boost Blaziken) in the last 30 battles, which on top of your brief samples makes it 18:9. I don't want to buy it, but it's looking more and more likely.

Thankfully, 95% of the relevant one ability + HA mons telegraph their relevant abilities, and going from 1/2 to 1/3 "changes nothing" for the remaining 5% - which is probably why it hasn't been looked into much yet. The thought of Sand Stream + Sand Veil and other fun things being 2/3 each rather than 1/2 is not a pleasant one, though.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Well, I'll be damned. "Insufficient data", but I collected six instances of regular ability on 2-abilitiers and 3 instances of HA (only obvious telegraphs, which were auto-weather, Pressure birds/dogs and Speed Boost Blaziken) in the last 30 battles, which on top of your brief samples makes it 18:9. I don't want to buy it, but it's looking more and more likely.

Thankfully, 95% of the relevant one ability + HA mons telegraph their relevant abilities, and going from 1/2 to 1/3 "changes nothing" for the remaining 5% - which is probably why it hasn't been looked into much yet. The thought of Sand Stream + Sand Veil and other fun things being 2/3 each rather than 1/2 is not a pleasant one, though.
On the other hand, less Gale Wings Talonflame/Static Zapdos/Multiscale Dragonite/Protean Greninja/Aroma Veil Aromatisse/Sturdy Regirock and Carbink sounds quite appealing to me ^^ I've looked a bit deeper into that list of two-ability mons that I use to keep track of my findings, and the only ones that have a really annoying regular ability seem to be Garchomp and a couple of Intimidators, I wouldn't mind a 2:1 ratio actually. Besides, that would also mean less Sand Veil Donphan.

Hi all. I'm quite amazed by this huge thread, wow.

Just one question: the data from the pokemons sets and the trainers is from XY, ORAS or is the same? Thanks

Hi all. I'm quite amazed by this huge thread, wow.

Just one question: the data from the pokemons sets and the trainers is from XY, ORAS or is the same? Thanks
The only difference is that some of the trainers in ORAS have different names (e.g. Punk Guy Puck in XY is Punk Guy Jensen in ORAS), and you can see those differences in the spreadsheet linked in the OP.

I was thinking of bringing the randomness fun to Singles for my next streak by using a Durant team with a pool of Entrainment sweepers, but then I picked up the trophies in some other modes and remembered how much more forgiving they are than Singles. No matter which sweepers you choose (and I had definitely thought of some fun ones), it would still be a matter of "how long can you avoid the unlucky lead that craps on Durant?" Even if you only randomized the last slot and led with Whimsicott or Sableye, the sweeper would need some way of dealing with something like Mismagius, which doesn't seem as fun when compared to the leeway you have in diversifying your Trick Roomers and support options in Triples.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Is there a Maison simulator of some sort on Showdown where people can test teams and sets without having to breed them in-game?
Today I was searching for 3vs3 in showdown just to find out it doesn't exist. Such disappointment :|

Edit: Can someone more experienced help me with Latias / Cresselia sets?

I need a Special Wall for my team and i wanted to try Latias / Cresselia before Blissey. I already have them with Calm nature and 252 HP, 252 SPDef and 4 SpAtk
The team is:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Roar

Skarmory can already do a lot by himself except when vs TBolt or Flamethrower, so I need someone that can take them (or similar).
I was thinking something like:

Recover / Moonlight (Cresselia)
Tbolt/Surf
Psychic/Psyshock
Charm/Toxic

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.

Today I was searching for 3vs3 in showdown just to find out it doesn't exist. Such disappointment :|

Edit: Can someone more experienced help me with Latias / Cresselia sets?

I need a Special Wall for my team and i wanted to try Latias / Cresselia before Blissey. I already have them with Calm nature and 252 HP, 252 SPDef and 4 SpAtk
The team is:

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Toxic
- Roar

Skarmory can already do a lot by himself except when vs TBolt or Flamethrower, so I need someone that can take them (or similar).
I was thinking something like:

Recover / Moonlight (Cresselia)
Tbolt/Surf
Psychic/Psyshock
Charm/Toxic
If you're only concerned about special tanky-ness, then Latias is the better choice because she's faster, her recovery move has more PP, and she has enough special attack to threaten many Dark/Ghost types that would otherwise act as checks. (E.g.: Houndoom is much less scary to Latias than to Cresselia.) If being able to stay in against mixed attackers or 2nd/3rd physical attackers is important to you, then Cresselia starts looking better.

I have no exeperience with Cresselia in the Maison, but I ran Latias in the Battle Tower (4th gen) and the Subway (5th gen) so I have a general feel for her. The set I ran was Dragon Pulse/Surf/Calm Mind/Recover, and she's fast enough, tough enough, and strong enough to make that work reasonably well even when you're invested for bulk. If you don't like that and you just want a good defensive pivot, I would go Psychic/Surf/Thunderbolt/Recover, and I would actually drop 20 EVs into speed in order to speed creep two fairies: Togekiss 4 and Gardevoir 4. Both have a special Fire or Electric attack that would threaten Skarmory out, both threaten Charizard X with a strong Fairy STAB attack, and neither one is at all appealing to try to Recover stall as the slower combatant. Both would lose to Charizard X in a heads-up situation, but given that either of those Fairies could potentially deal 60% on the switch, it's less than ideal to rely on Charizard as your check to those mons.

Dragon Pulse is not great for Latias as a defensive pivot because her job is not to acquire near-perfect neutral coverage, it's to be able tank hits and check specific threats, none of whom are Dragon Types. Psychic could be traded for Psyshock if you want a pseudo-mixed option, but honestly I never saw a huge improvement either way on that particular move choice.

Having said all that, the fact that you already have a Dragon-type on your team makes Latias slightly less attractive as a special tank, especially given the annoying frequency of Sashchomp in the Maison. As I said, I have no experience with Cresselia, so maybe someone else can weigh in on that one.

If you're only concerned about special tanky-ness, then Latias is the better choice because she's faster, her recovery move has more PP, and she has enough special attack to threaten many Dark/Ghost types that would otherwise act as checks. (E.g.: Houndoom is much less scary to Latias than to Cresselia.) If being able to stay in against mixed attackers or 2nd/3rd physical attackers is important to you, then Cresselia starts looking better.

I have no exeperience with Cresselia in the Maison, but I ran Latias in the Battle Tower (4th gen) and the Subway (5th gen) so I have a general feel for her. The set I ran was Dragon Pulse/Surf/Calm Mind/Recover, and she's fast enough, tough enough, and strong enough to make that work reasonably well even when you're invested for bulk. If you don't like that and you just want a good defensive pivot, I would go Psychic/Surf/Thunderbolt/Recover, and I would actually drop 20 EVs into speed in order to speed creep two fairies: Togekiss 4 and Gardevoir 4. Both have a special Fire or Electric attack that would threaten Skarmory out, both threaten Charizard X with a strong Fairy STAB attack, and neither one is at all appealing to try to Recover stall as the slower combatant. Both would lose to Charizard X in a heads-up situation, but given that either of those Fairies could potentially deal 60% on the switch, it's less than ideal to rely on Charizard as your check to those mons.

Dragon Pulse is not great for Latias as a defensive pivot because her job is not to acquire near-perfect neutral coverage, it's to be able tank hits and check specific threats, none of whom are Dragon Types. Psychic could be traded for Psyshock if you want a pseudo-mixed option, but honestly I never saw a huge improvement either way on that particular move choice.

Having said all that, the fact that you already have a Dragon-type on your team makes Latias slightly less attractive as a special tank, especially given the annoying frequency of Sashchomp in the Maison. As I said, I have no experience with Cresselia, so maybe someone else can weigh in on that one.
Thanks for the info and all good points. And yes im a bit afraid of cresselia low pp on moonlight. Cresselia just looks so good defensively, but i can see Latias doing good damage...

Some more questions:

Soul Dew doesn't work in the mansion, right? I think there would be a lot more Latios/as if it worked x)

What kind of items you think Latias/Cresselia could use if Skarmory already has leftovers?

Don't have a Soul Dew to check for myself, but if it's like Gen 4/5, it's banned in the Maison. (I.e.: You can't add Lati@s to your team if they are holding Soul Dew.)

For either one, I would go with a Lum Berry. Since part of the job description here is switching into Thunderbolt, I would definitely say having some insurance against Paralyze would be a good thing.

The Mega-Salamence/Suicune/Aegislash team is, uh, pretty brutal. I'm at 57 wins quite handily, and I plan to see how far I can go with it - seriously, how did I ever get to 50 on X/Y without that chart of movesets?

After I did some calcs (well, OK, forcing the pokemon calculator to reflect the stats of Megasally), I realized that Return was just as good at +1 as Double-Edge, as well as netting me some more life for margin. Return +1 vs. Cresselia1 (the physically bulkiest poke I could think of that doesn't resist Flying) is 113% damage minimum. Earthquake+1... isn't even fair to Steel types.

For some reason, the AI doesn't anticipate Salamence as a setup pokemon; I've hit five or six starters faster than Sally with Taunt in their moveset and not once have they used it. I've seen it used on Aegislash and Suicune, so I know they WILL use it... just not on Salamence.
Cool to see someone else trying this combination! I'm about to take something similar into Super Rotations, looking to get my top spot back. Out of curiosity, is your Aegislash of the Swords Dancing kind commonly found here, or the special/mixed kind more common in competitive play? And what do you think of Facade over Return on 'Mence? I like the idea of not having to worry about burns from Flame Body or fire moves. And it's technically stronger than Dragon Claw, thanks to the Aerilate boost. Of course, Suicune can handle the fire-types, but the more battles spent setting Suicune up the less fun the Maison tends to be.

Also just for your information, sweepercalc.com/swc/ is a damage calculator up to date with all megas and a pretty cool interface. Once you figure out what all the buttons do, you can calculate your whole team's offense and defense against up to 6 opposing pokemon's moves and defenses - at the same time - all laid out neatly on a 6x6 grid. It's not perfect though - Gyro Ball doesn't seem to work, and it doesn't let you input custom attacks.

There is also a free Android app, "IVs and Damage XY" that has all the new Megas, but it only does 1v1 calculations and only does one attack at a time. It does let you create custom attacks, though - useful for rare but entirely possible situations like Contrary Spinda copying V-Create via Mirror Move.

Last edited:

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
fwiw:

I've been over 1,500 since before Christmas, but in addition to taking my time with AS, reading the new "updates to current streaks only at multiples of 100" kind of demotivated me from furthering my streak, especially when my then-#1 1,288 streak was never put up until it had been surpassed due to an honest oversight by NoCheese. I understand that the rule may have been put in place to ward off any "petty" one upmanship between JohnJohn and myself. That said, I was at about 1,360 when I read the new 100s rule, and saw the 1,400 streak that was the current #1, and it just seemed punitive (albeit unintentionally) to "make" me play 140 battles (instead of 40) for a chance to re-reclaim the #1 spot (ties are stupid), assuming that a 1,500 streak wouldn't have been posted from the halfway house anyway when I was at 1,460, so you may understand why I stopped trying (and posting).

So congratulations to VaporeonIce in breaking 2,000! You've earned it, and Drapion is awesome. Maybe I'll chase you at a rate of 10 battles a day, or maybe since I finally SRed my 31/x/29/31/31/31 Timid Latios I'll play 400 battles today. I may pop in and post from time to time, but don't worry, if I do break whatever your current record is, it won't be by just a few dozen battles!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you just want to play 3v3 singles on PS! then try out Battle Spot singles. We have a sub-forum for it here.

As for your Battle Maison team, if you want to use Charizard-X, you need to realise that it's very susceptible to paralysis, so something that can absorb Thunder Wave will be good. You could go the tried-and-tested route with Garchomp, but that would leave you with two dragon types, leaving you weak to dragon type moves (if you can't easily despatch of them) so I would look into a steel or fairy type as a backup. I wouldn't bother with Skarmory in the Maison as phazing with Stealth Rock / stalling with Toxic like that isn't a viable plan with it.

Cool to see someone else trying this combination! I'm about to take something similar into Super Rotations, looking to get my top spot back. Out of curiosity, is your Aegislash of the Swords Dancing kind commonly found here, or the special/mixed kind more common in competitive play? And what do you think of Facade over Return on 'Mence? I like the idea of not having to worry about burns from Flame Body or fire moves. And it's technically stronger than Dragon Claw, thanks to the Aerilate boost. Of course, Suicune can handle the fire-types, but the more battles spent setting Suicune up the less fun the Maison tends to be.
Well, my Aegislash is the SD one with Secret Sword and Shadow Sneak - I find it comes in handy for Super Singles to have not one, but three setup Pokemon. If I have to switch on the lead because Salamence would go down (not to Abomasnow, though, because even an unboosted Return KOs that sucker), whichever one I switch to can still go up to +4 or +6 then sweep, as nothing I've seen so far was SE on both Salamence and my other two - and because Crescemenace can sweep with just +1, it's a solid plan even if Aegislash or Suicune goes down.

Really, though, I just did a few more battles and then I started working on my Triples team - oh, and breeding breeding breeding, because all my 'extra' Pokemon disappeared in donations to friends. Got a shiny Marill yesterday, too... if only it wasn't 31/31/ZERO/31/31/31...

And thanks for that link. I must have missed it in the opening post, if it was in there.

fwiw:

I've been over 1,500 since before Christmas, but in addition to taking my time with AS, reading the new "updates to current streaks only at multiples of 100" kind of demotivated me from furthering my streak, especially when my then-#1 1,288 streak was never put up until it had been surpassed due to an honest oversight by NoCheese. I understand that the rule may have been put in place to ward off any "petty" one upmanship between JohnJohn and myself. That said, I was at about 1,360 when I read the new 100s rule, and saw the 1,400 streak that was the current #1, and it just seemed punitive (albeit unintentionally) to "make" me play 140 battles (instead of 40) for a chance to re-reclaim the #1 spot (ties are stupid), assuming that a 1,500 streak wouldn't have been posted from the halfway house anyway when I was at 1,460, so you may understand why I stopped trying (and posting).

So congratulations to VaporeonIce in breaking 2,000! You've earned it, and Drapion is awesome. Maybe I'll chase you at a rate of 10 battles a day, or maybe since I finally SRed my 31/x/29/31/31/31 Timid Latios I'll play 400 battles today. I may pop in and post from time to time, but don't worry, if I do break whatever your current record is, it won't be by just a few dozen battles!
Thanks! Congrats on the Latios; that's pretty fantastic. I find it kind of funny that, when I'm in the lead, you're chasing the Pokemon that led to your most notorious streak (Drapion), and when you're in the lead, I'm chasing the Pokemon that first got me to the top of the leaderboard (Mega Kangaskhan). I look forward to seeing your team in action again!

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Updated through here. Impressed as always by the giant streaks!

I understand that the rule may have been put in place to ward off any "petty" one upmanship between JohnJohn and myself. That said, I was at about 1,360 when I read the new 100s rule, and saw the 1,400 streak that was the current #1, and it just seemed punitive (albeit unintentionally) to "make" me play 140 battles (instead of 40) for a chance to re-reclaim the #1 spot (ties are stupid), assuming that a 1,500 streak wouldn't have been posted from the halfway house anyway when I was at 1,460, so you may understand why I stopped trying (and posting).
Yeah, I was worried about things turning into a lot of back and forth with small win total increases, especially since JohnJohn was posting updates what seemed like every 20 battles or so. But you know how highly I regard your maison/subway/tower play and your contributions to team design and discussion, so I'm glad that you've returned to your streak and your posting, even with the unintentionally punative timing of the rule change. Perhaps a good faith "if you post too many tiny win-total updates on streaks > 1000, I reserve the right to only update your leaderboard position at even 100s" guideline would be better. I liked the 100s rule because it is easy to apply and doesn't risk the appearance of discriminatory use, but it is probably needlessly strict. So your streak has been updated to 1550 wins, and not 1500.

While I'm typing, might as well note that I'm over 500 right now with Dusclops / Aron / Mega Camerupt / Eelektross. Camerupt's Flamethrower has been replaced by Protect (which has proven to be a substantial upgrade) and though the first 400 or so battles left everything else unchanged, I've also now replaced Eelektross's Superpower with Hidden Power Ice, which thankfully required no rebreeding with 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 0 IVs. I don't have enough data yet to say for sure that it's better, but I haven't had trouble with Blissey and similar blobs since making the change, and I feel much better having a more appropriate move for things like Flygon, since after Aron goes down, I was a little weaker than I liked to be against Dragon-types. I'll post in much more detail once I lose or hit 1000.

Best of luck on the streaks all! Glad to see that even without a frontier, there's still excellent progress being made in the Maison!

Super Multi Battle - 247 streak (FIRST PLACE?!?!?!?!?!)

this is the same team me and a friend used before with only minor changes but i'll post it again here.

for battles 1-25 we used my copy of X and my friends copy of Y, after that my friends 3DS died and we played the rest of the streak on my copy of Y instead of his, so the two streaks are 25 apart. same pokemon the whole time though.

Of course, we lost with a connection error, so heres the latest videos we had saved:

225 - JAJW-WWWW-WWWT-39M2
(200 - same battle, but on the game 25 behind) - 2KWW-WWWW-WWWT-39MW

attached is picture showing max streaks

so here's the team, all bred by me, 31 IVs in all but unused attack

Player 1:
Greninja - @ focus sash, Protean, timid, 252 spatk 252 spe
Dark Pulse / Extrasensory / Ice Beam / Mat Block
Mega Kangaskhan - @ kangaskhanite , Scrappy -> parental bond, jolly, 252atk 252spe
Power up Punch / Return / Sucker Punch / Fake Out (old set had giga impact and crunch, changed to return and sucker punch, that is only change)

Player 2:
Azumarill - @ lum berry, huge power, adamant, 252 hp 252 atk
Aqua Jet / Superpower / Play Rough / Belly Drum
Mega Charizard Y - @charizarditeY, blaze -> drought, timid, 252 spatk 252 spe
Heat Wave / Solarbeam / air slash / ancientpower

So sashed ninja always* gets off a mat block, so azumarill gets a safe belly drum (taunt is the exception). since ninja is the easier target, jolteon dactyl scarfed things usually go for it first turn instead of azumarill.
then ninjas moveset provides coverage on poison and grass, and azumarill mostly aqua jets what it can take out.

kanga of course provides fake out for azumarill to safely get off superpower or play rough, and is just strong overall with sucker punch to hit hard and outspeed.
charizard has to be behind azumarill because of drought which would ruin aqua jet, and it provides a ridiculously powerful heat wave as well as other coverage for kanga.

So thats attempt #2. another loss on connection.. I'll try again in a few months probably.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Well VaporeonIce, you won't be seeing it any time soon despite your love of symmetry, because my worst nightmare was just realized:

Let me just say this first—at the very least, I am actually glad that I have told you all that I've refrained from posting a legitimate loss in favor of just running it back up real quick and getting close to where I was. It sets the proper precedent of legitimacy here, because if I had just actually lost, you can be sure I'd rather just run it up again than post about a loss. I'm also glad that I coincidentally just posted last night about my progress, strengthening a "this just happened" reality, and for what it's worth here's a screenshot of the time the pic was taken on my iPhone:

So yeah, those are the things that are important to me right now—validity and forthrightness. In a way, those both dovetail into awareness—awareness of the truth of things and awareness of all the things that go into that. All the things that go into how I battle—being aware of how slippery my hands may be, how tightly I'm holding the DS, the trainer I'm facing, what pokes he or she is using, how many turns are left in Trick Room, where my DS physically is on my person when it's closed and I'm carrying it, whether I'm currently in a battle if my DS is closed, who has used Kangaskhan or Blastoise or Specs Sylveon before I thought them up and how if so...I could go on and on.

When I pulled into my snowy parking lot about 30 minutes late (like the rest of Pittsburgh because nobody knows how to drive in the snow), I was fully aware that I was on turn ~20 against Candela's lead, Male, no-Intimidate Luxray, having switchstalled between Ice Fang and TW (or maybe Thunder Fang, something I intentionally did not make myself aware of because it didn't matter to a Gliscor that would just kill Luxray once Protect and Suicune's Pressure had stalled it out of Ice Fang). Hell, I was fully aware five minutes prior when she sent that Luxray out that "great, I may not finish this battle before I have to park, meaning I can't save, meaning I may lose my streak if my game ejects or whatever." But I was also aware of the 25 hours I spent this past seven days on Greyhound busses, and several more in my girlfriend's apartment, opening and closing my DS literally over 100 times with no incident. (An infuriating reality if you think about it, especially given that I repaired this DS last winter.) So I felt comfortable putting my DS into my left inside coat pocket and walking with care to my office building, aware of where my DS was positioned against my chest as always.

Call it paranoia if you want—some would say paranoia is just a heightened sense of awareness anyway. Whatever it is, I was shocked but not really surprised when I opened my DS, "safely" seated at my desk with my game suspended as had been the without-incident case dozens of times. Only once had I pulled my DS out of my left coat pocket and found my progress to have been interrupted, and that was a full game card eject on some inconsequential streak years ago (one that heightened my awareness of where my DS is positioned against my chest in such pockets). In this case, my game card was still securely snug inside my DS, which meant that interruption of my streak had little explanation, especially given the recent and numerous DS closures just this past week. I don't get it, and I'm incredibly tired of "this".

I can't blame myself for missing a trainer, or not finishing the battle in my car, something I didn't do because I wasn't aware that the 9:30 meeting I arrived in time for had been postponed due to this very weather. I can't blame the snow itself, or myself for not having read my boss's 7:43am email about the meeting postponement, because a game "eject" like this was bound to happen at any time given the circumstances (no incidents through 100+ closures the past week, careful carrying, no actual game eject, etc.). I can't even blame "having been driving" like I could partially when I missed Anastasia in battle 1,269, because carrying my DS in my pocket has no bearing on having been driving. So I just don't know about this one, guys.

What I do know is that I genuinely have nothing further to prove here, and that getting back to 1,560 as though I legitimately lost a battle (which hasn't happened in almost four months), is not at this time my idea of fun. I will even go so far as to say that someone in my position could justify hacking up some super team to get back to 1,560, and savestating often to safeguard against losses given the circumstances.

The chilling thing is that even if I were interested in doing that (I'm not), Kangliscune is easily the fastest team the Singles Maison has seen and "why would I need to savestate, this team's lone loss in over 2,800 battles was due to not being aware of a trainer's ability to use Medicham3 and a good deal of hax as well." The only reason, therefore, that I would savestate is to hedge against my worst nightmare recurring. I would very literally rather "take my chances" with Kangliscune than some hacked wonderteam anyway because I have quite simply mastered how to use Kangliscune.

I may give the Maison a shot in AS, triples or singles. I think that if anything my Y cart is the problem, but seriously who gives a shit at this point if I start a streak in AS and lose it to a game reset, I've already lost over 2,000 battles' worth of streaks to that anyway (1,560 + 290 in triples + 241 pre-DS repairing with Suizorus are the highest). Or I may wait for the Frontier to be updated into the game as the hints suggest (not getting my hopes up or anything). I'm just really not in the mood to try again right now, because at this point it is legitimately more about proving how long I can battle without losing my streak on a technicality, which isn't a very valid challenge if you ask me. Good luck to you all.

Last edited:
Jumpman16 , that genuinely breaks my heart. That exact scenario is my worst nightmare as well. I've had my cart eject a few times (not while playing the Maison, fortunately). I've probably closed my DS and put it in my pocket four or five times over the course of my streak (typically when I suddenly need to talk to someone and pretend I'm not sitting around playing Pokemon), and every time I do, I'm terrified that exact thing will happen.

Kangliscune has impressed the hell out of me, and the "smell test" at least tells us that it takes a lot of knowledge and expertise to use it to its full potential. I posted on Reddit that it would probably take 100,000 battles (at least) from each of our teams to determine which one is actually "better"/more reliable. But you're absolutely right that you have nothing left to prove. I think we can safely say "Jumpman 3, Battle Tower/Subway/Maison 0."

Jumpman16

*whistles*

That's *counts on fingers* <0.08% to land. How many times did you SR that, 2000?

Congrats. That's almost as impressive as your streak.
thanks, it took a while and it's hard to count because of how many I ran from when my 86 speed Xatu/Natu outsped them or when Lv 47 Natu's Night Shade took Latios into the yellow (confirming a < ~24 HP IV)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)