VGC 2015: Ask a Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.
on the turn that thunder wave is used would the affected pokemon's speed be adjusted or not until next turn?
Speed is immediately updated for Gyro Ball, Electro Ball and any other attack that uses speed. The pokemon's position in the turn queue won't change as it's set at the beginning of the turn barring use of Quash or After You.

Can a wish protect Sylveon be viable in VGC, or is it specs only?
Personally I don't think it's viable to run a delayed heal. You miss out on doing damage, you risk having whoever receives the wish being double focused or having to run a rage powder/follow me supporter to prevent that from happening. And if you run wish then you either give up protect or have only 2 offensive moves which is not something you want on a non-support mon.

Can a wish protect Sylveon be viable in VGC, or is it specs only?
Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Life Orb, Pixie Plate, and Sitrus Berry are all viable. Non choiced sets can make use of Helping Hand. Having not tested it I'm not sure of it viability, but a bulky set could make use of Chesto Berry and Rest for a huge amount of immediate recovery. In VGC given its fast nature immediate recovery (Sitrus Berry, Recover/Roost, Rest, et cetera) is generally a superior option to having to waste two turns for the same effect.

Choice Specs, Choice Scarf, Life Orb, Pixie Plate, and Sitrus Berry are all viable. Non choiced sets can make use of Helping Hand. Having not tested it I'm not sure of it viability, but a bulky set could make use of Chesto Berry and Rest for a huge amount of immediate recovery. In VGC given its fast nature immediate recovery (Sitrus Berry, Recover/Roost, Rest, et cetera) is generally a superior option to having to waste two turns for the same effect.
it can conceivably heal partner pokemon too, which might be helpful for setup mons like mega latias. sylveon really only needs hyper voice anyway; the other 3 slots are basically filler anyway :p

I'm new to competitive pokemon i know the basic rules of vgc 15 but my question is how do you get better at vgc
The same way you get better at any thing else. Practice.

More specifically, there are a couple elements you need to get the hang of. The first is teambuilding. This is the easiest to teach but the toughest to master, imo. You should build a team which can deal with all the common threats. It should also have a general plan on how to win as well. A lot of new players try their best to use bad pokemon in unique ways. Don't. Not to start. The reason commonly used pokemon are commonly used are because they are the best pokemon. Less used pokemon have their uses, but they are very niche, and its not worth using them until you get the hang of the metagame. There are plenty of places to find common sets for pokemon. Nintendo tracks the usage of any given item/move/teammate for any give pokemon, which they release here. Smogon has some movesets for the 2014 season, as does Nugget bridge, but the 2015 metagame hasn't settled so things aren't cut and dry yet. It'll be easier to find specialized sets after the first batch of regionals in Feb.

The second thing is knowledge. You should know what any pokemon can do, and how to deal with it. Even if its not common. Again, Nintendo tracks the stats for all pokemon, so if you don't know what moves Hawlucha commonly runs, you can check there, so you have an idea of what to expect in battle.

Third is in-battle skill. This encompasses prediction. It also encompasses planning a few moves ahead. And knowing what end game you want. Lots of things. This is where practice is key. I feel like for this, watching really good players explain why they make moves is the best way to learn their analysis. Alex Ogoloza, Aaron Zheng, and Baz Anderson are three great players with VGC-based youtube channels and great analysis.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck!

The same way you get better at any thing else. Practice.

More specifically, there are a couple elements you need to get the hang of. The first is teambuilding. This is the easiest to teach but the toughest to master, imo. You should build a team which can deal with all the common threats. It should also have a general plan on how to win as well. A lot of new players try their best to use bad pokemon in unique ways. Don't. Not to start. The reason commonly used pokemon are commonly used are because they are the best pokemon. Less used pokemon have their uses, but they are very niche, and its not worth using them until you get the hang of the metagame. There are plenty of places to find common sets for pokemon. Nintendo tracks the usage of any given item/move/teammate for any give pokemon, which they release here. Smogon has some movesets for the 2014 season, as does Nugget bridge, but the 2015 metagame hasn't settled so things aren't cut and dry yet. It'll be easier to find specialized sets after the first batch of regionals in Feb.

The second thing is knowledge. You should know what any pokemon can do, and how to deal with it. Even if its not common. Again, Nintendo tracks the stats for all pokemon, so if you don't know what moves Hawlucha commonly runs, you can check there, so you have an idea of what to expect in battle.

Third is in-battle skill. This encompasses prediction. It also encompasses planning a few moves ahead. And knowing what end game you want. Lots of things. This is where practice is key. I feel like for this, watching really good players explain why they make moves is the best way to learn their analysis. Alex Ogoloza, Aaron Zheng, and Baz Anderson are three great players with VGC-based youtube channels and great analysis.

Also, don't be afraid to ask questions. Good luck!
Thanks a lot man i really liked the explanation i watch those guys on youtube and i will defiantly check out those websites thank you for the explanation and thank you for your time i will be sure to do all of this, thanks again

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
What would be the ideal EV spread to run on a Naughty Talonflame w/ Overheat?

I personally don't know of a good tried and true ev spread for a naughty t-flame but you could try the spread Sejun ran on his naive t-flame.

252 Atk / 164 SpA / 92 Spe

iirc you need 172 speed if you run quick guard, since that lets you use it on Kanga's Quick Guard. 84 SpA is needed to KO 4HP megaGross. Obviously you max attack, giving you 252 Att/84 SpA/172 Spe. If you don't run Quick Guard, then you might dump more/less in speed and the rest in SpA.

Im pretty new in VGC, and i decided to add Aurorus with for my trick room for its ability to launch Ice type hyper voices toward the dragons, while being able to launch thunderbolt to water types and talonflame, eithe freeze dry towards rotom w, mega swampert and kingdra, or earth power which has overall good coverage, along with perhaps protect (or just all 4 attacks). Unlike Abomasnow, it aint weak to talonflame and it can switch on mences hyper voices, and doesnt hinder the team with hail. Is it possible this has any viability to complement stuff like camerupt, and other common trick room staples. EDIT: On second thought, thunderbolt is pretty unnecessary, since freeze dry does more to most water types.

Didnt put this in dark horse thread cause im not experienced enough with vgc and thought it could be spamish.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I wondering if I can compete in UK or German nationals if I'm from Sweden? I'm pretty sure you could do that before, but I just want to make sure its possible this year as a friend of mine told me it wasn't possible to compete in other countries in the Pokémon trading card game.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I wondering if I can compete in UK or German nationals if I'm from Sweden? I'm pretty sure you could do that before, but I just want to make sure its possible this year as a friend of mine told me it wasn't possible to compete in other countries in the Pokémon trading card game.
The region lock is for Europe, and Australia for some reason, but you should be able to compete.

If I wanted to use a bulky Mega Latias in VGC, what would be the best set for it? And would Heal Pulse be viable on it?

Edit: Also, is this old spread of Mega Mawile still viable, or should it be changed up? I borrowed it from an old page that said it was very successful on nuggetbridge, so I'm not sure how it'll fare in VGC 2015.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 180 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect

Edit: Also, is this old spread of Mega Mawile still viable, or should it be changed up? I borrowed it from an old page that said it was very successful on nuggetbridge, so I'm not sure how it'll fare in VGC 2015.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 180 SpD / 24 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Protect
Stick to adamant max att Mawile. 24 spe is fine, but there arent enough mawiles around to speed creep that much imo. 12 speed is all you need. Dump the rest in HP

Stick to adamant max att Mawile. 24 spe is fine, but there arent enough mawiles around to speed creep that much imo. 12 speed is all you need. Dump the rest in HP
kk so there's absolutely nothing it needs to avoid getting KOed or 2HKOed by, just to double check before i go on with the change?

and is mega latias viable in any way?

With full dex, Trick Room is way more viable. So try to stick Mawile to that kind of team, of course you can use her outside TR but the list of hard hitters have just increased also the Tutors add more coverage to old favorites so M-mawile may find a little hard to attack with all the offensive from the opposite side.

On mega latias:
Both typings of M-Latias are not really good on the defensive these days, with Sylveon spam and the buff to Dark type (including Knock off) I don't think Latias can stay much in the field. Of course with huge team support she can work. Also Heal pulse is an interesting option, the thing is if your partner faint before you can use it, you will heal the opponent and taking in consideration that if you need to use heal pulse your partner could be around half his health, if your opponent double target the weak one you will end healing your opponent and losing a pokemon.

I'm not trying to discourage you, with proper team support almost any pokemon is viable. Just keep in mind that VGC is very fast paced and you only have 4 pokemons, that means 3 pokemons at any time to support a single one.

Last edited:
With full dex, Trick Room is way more viable. So try to stick Mawile to that kind of team, of course you can use her outside TR but the list of hard hitters have just increased also the Tutors add more coverage to old favorites so M-mawile may find a little hard to attack with all the offensive from the opposite side.

On mega latias:
Both typings of M-Latias are not really good on the defensive these days, with Sylveon spam and Knock off buff I don't think Latias can stand much in the field. Of course with huge team support she can work. Also Heal pulse is an interesting option, the thing is if your partner faint before you can use it, you will heal the opponent and taking in consideration that if you need to use heal pulse your partner could be around half his health, if your opponent double target the weak one you will end healing your opponent and losing a pokemon.

I'm not trying to discourage you, with proper team support almost any pokemon is viable. Just keep in mind that VGC is very fast paced and you only have 4 pokemons, that means 3 pokemons at any time to support your pokemon.
kk i appreciate all the help, no worries :) After all, better I know now than screw up so badly later on because I didn't know.

One final question (probably): How viable is Mega Slowbro right now in the VGC?

kk i appreciate all the help, no worries :) After all, better I know now than screw up so badly later on because I didn't know.

One final question (probably): How viable is Mega Slowbro right now in the VGC?
It's not, although feel free to try it. Most of the time you mega should be offensive, and slowbro isn't the best TR mega (mawile and Camerupt are better). Suicune and ludicolo are better bulky water types for most teams.

It's not, although feel free to try it. Most of the time you mega should be offensive, and slowbro isn't the best TR mega (mawile and Camerupt are better). Suicune and ludicolo are better bulky water types for most teams.
kk thank you.

and one final question, i promise this is the last one for the day:

is quick attack worth it on, say, a pixie plate or life orb sylveon?

kk thank you.

Probably not. If it were Specs, then sure, but if not, protect is a better option.

kk thank you.

I tried Quick attack pixilate Sylveon for a while to moderate success, picking up weakened Dragons by surprise:

0- Atk Pixilate Sylveon Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 84-100 (50 - 59.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Without boosting item)
0- Atk Pixilate Sylveon Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 42-50 (22.8 - 27.1%) -- 32% chance to 4HKO

(the set I was running was a suportive one)

The thing is that with Hyper Voice tutor, Offensive sylveon is the way to go for a bulky offensive Fairy. But Life Orb insteed of Choice specs is kind of nice, I was thinking the same thing last night, but keep in mind that Life Orb reveal itself and you cannot bluff any other Item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)