SPL UU Mega-Thread

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Week 1 matchups with a little of my own opinion!

Meru vs Psychotic - Definitely a highlight match as both are very active uu players. The outcome of this match will be determined by how well Meru reacts to Psychotic's innovation.

Lowgock vs IronBullet93 - Another decent match as Lowgock has shown promise in UU by winning Grand Slam and placing second in the UU Open. That was several months back and UU has definitely changed since Pre-ORAS. I feel IronBullet is more up to date with current UU and that should serve him greatly.

Bugzinator vs JeyTheGrey - Battle of the PO warriors. Should be a solid match. Really depends on how diverse both players are in Smogon UU.

radianthero156 vs Limitless - Radiant is a promising UU Player who knows a lot about the tier and how to play. His lack of tour experience will be a deciding factor in this matchup. I am expecting great things from him though. I feel he has the edge as Limitless may be rusty coming back from a hiatus.

namehtmas vs NiCKi MiNAJ :3 - Another highlight match! Both very seasoned uu players also appearing for the first time in a major tour. Excited to see how name will react to Omfuga's offensive pressure.

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I've added week 1 matchups as well as my own personal thoughts on each match-up! Looking forward to the replays and sets :]

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
jey and bugzinator are PO players whom i know nothing about, but jey is supposedly really good. still though, smogon uu is so different to po uu that i dont think he'll adapt that well..

nicki minaj is omfuga lmao

anyway now that psychotic is banned, king uu will be subbing in, which kind of makes the match more interesting imo. psychotic is a good player but he's become super-predictabe lately with every one of his teams being: empoleon/megasnow/jirachi/zygarde/filler/filler, while king uu is more diverse imo.

im interested to see if omfuga can break out of his standard teambuilding schemes in this tournament, cause if he can't he's gonna have a lot of trouble.

Reactions: aim

aim

pokeaimMD
Koko brings up a good point about ryan as in team tours everyone and their mom scouts your replays playstyle etc etc. I'm really interested to see what he will bring. I'm expecting some crazy offensive mon with a cb to break though opposing teams. Changing it up would be really cool and unexpected as well and would definitely be beneficial for him

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Omfuga and I are scheduled to play in about an hour for anyone interested in watching. We'll be on smogtours.

Meru vs King UU - hf ;]

Lowgock vs IronBullet93 - This one is pretty close tbh. IronBullet93 is a really good player who is solid as both a teambuilder and a player. A lot of people said Lowgock's team in Grand Slam playoffs were ass (i disagree kinda but that's w/e), but he has like 5 people who are also good at UU helping him, so I don't think he'll have much of a problem. Will be looking forward to this one.

Bugzinator vs JeyTheGrey - I'm kinda torn on this one because I haven't seen anything from them in Smogon UU, as they're both from PO, but I'm giving Jey the edge since he went 9-0 in POCL UU, and has a good amount of Smogon UU experience as well from what I've been told.

radianthero156 vs Limitless - Both have taken a fairly large hiatus from UU, so this one is kind of tough, although both have good UU players helping them (lochie + aim for rh, and hnc + flareblitz if he's even been on for ken). I think it's balanced but i'm hling ken because he has a bit more experience overall.

namehtmas vs NiCKi MiNAJ :3 - Both are also really good, can't predict much here. It'll be fun as fuck to watch though.

Well , first UU match won by namehtmas . I'm kind of disappointed by Omfuga's performance . The team match-up was in namehtmas advantage . Still gg both.

aim

pokeaimMD
Yeah also turn 1 toxic miss kinda sucked as stoise would have been worn down easier but to be fair, ryans team wasn't going to be breaking through name's.

Anyway, I feel this game will really help Omfuga branch out from his "norm" and that should affect his results in later games

Honestly I'm disappointed with my performance as well. I can't blame anyone for feeling the same way I do.

Sam played well, but had a pretty standard team. There weren't any really good plays from either side during our game.

My team was not only something predicted from me, but incredibly poorly built. Im stressed out about the rest of SPL, but hopefully I can improve next week...

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You know, I don't really mind if I wasn't particularly creative enough. I built a team that I thought would give me a good chance to win, which it evidently did. I know you didn't mean anything personal with it, Limitless, and I appreciate that you hold me to a high standard. However, I'm pretty happy with the outcome, even if I didn't revolutionize the meta.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You know, I don't really mind if I wasn't particularly creative enough. I built a team that I thought would give me a good chance to win, which it evidently did. I know you didn't mean anything personal with it, Limitless, and I appreciate that you hold me to a high standard. However, I'm pretty happy with the outcome, even if I didn't revolutionize the meta.
It wasn't meant as an attack at all. I just view you as a very creative person who tends to come up with innovative sets and strategies.

Winning is winning.

aim

pokeaimMD
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-32447

Meru took the win in this one vs King UU. I think King UU definitely could have played around Jirachi better as he sacked half his team before bringing out M-Ampharos and rest stalling. Something that could have been done a while before tbh, saving him a bunch of useful members. He almost took it back at the end with the Kyurem risk haha. Rachi no flinch though. Would have been hard to bring it back anyway from there

Sub toxic rachi still proving to be a threat. #bestrachiinUU

Alright, so i'm not going to be flatout mean in my game analysis even though it wasn't exactly the best played game. Right from team preview, Meru had a huge advantage. Kink brought a traditionally Nidoqueen weak team that could only be checked by Vaporeon, which had its hand full dealing with Sub Toxic Rachi early game. Tying onto that, his Aromatherapy user was weak to Jirachi's main STAB so basically his only chance of winning vs Jirachi was to PP stall it with Mega-Ampharos. The Kyurem play wasnt necessarily a bad one because if it worked out for him, he got a strong hit off from Kyurem, but if it didn't he still got Nidoqueen in for free so tbh I don't consider that one a bad play. There were just times when he could have sped up the battle by going into Nido on Amph instead of trying to flinch with Jirachi but hindsight is 20/20. Overall, it wasn't the best battle ever, but it was by no means as poor as everyone thought it was. GGs to both and gl to both in the future rounds :toast:

i found both teams decent (aside from king uu's av close combat machamp. wtf??). however, plays-wise, this game was lacking imo. king uu's team indeed was weak to subtoxic, but he could have played better. basically, his best shot was send ampharos vs it and spam rest (as jirachi only 6HKOed, he had to flinch ampharos 5 times in a row, which has only a 7.7% chance of happening, and iron head has only 24 pps), but he only realized it after he lost 3 pokes including his nidoqueen check, vaporeon; that is what cost him the game i think. meru didn't really play that flawlessly though; using another SD with virizion against rachi was really questionable, why not just use CC? there were a few switches that brought unnecessary risks to his win, as well. since this is their debut in such a high level tournament, i'm betting both will improve and manage to pull off big wins, as they have potential.

that said, hoping to play limitless in about 1-2 hours, HYPE!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)