Project RU CCAT - Round 5 Nominations

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
approved by atomicllamas and molk
op stolen from ou / pu thread

Hello friends! Welcome to the ORAS RU Community Create a Team. In this project, we will be working to nominate Pokemon that work well together and form a cohesive team as the final product.

STEPS:

Stage 1: We are going to start by picking a Pokemon (and set) we are going to be basing the team around. This does NOT mean the Pokemon has to be the late game sweeper, it means the team will be built around that Pokemon, whatever role it plays. This thread is for nominating Pokemon to be added to a poll. After a few days or once we have enough submissions, I will select which Pokemon are going to be in the poll that will be posted after we decide on a list of Pokemon. This means you have to convince me, and others, that your Pokemon is worth being put in the vote.

You may not vote for yourself.

Stage 2: We select one Pokemon that works well around the selected one.

Stage 3: We select Pokemon that work well around our Pokemon and fit the team style and test it.

Stage 4: We fine-tune the team based on our experiences in test-driving the team on the ladder!

After testing, if there are any improvements, replacements, or corrections that should be made to the team post here and we will discuss.

Finally, please make your nominations actually decent, building around good but underrated sets is fun and encouraged, and while it may be funny to build around Linoone or SD Ludicolo, I want this team to be at the very least actually usable, so please keep this in mind. Also, make sure to explain your nominations and only vote once.

Be sure to include the full set of the pokemon, like how it would appear in PS importable. This is useful because different EVs, movesets, nature can affect the dynamic of the rest of the team and it makes it easier to create an importable that everyone can use.

You may now start your nominations, and be sure to explain your nomination.

Our team so far:

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Druddigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 184 HP / 252 Atk / 72 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Fire Punch
- Outrage
- Gunk Shot / Sucker Punch

Kabutops @ Assault Vest
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off / Waterfall

Mesprit @ Life Orb / Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Healing Wish
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam

Last edited:

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
image.jpg

Abomasnow @ Abomasite
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake

Mega Abomasnow was an S-Ranked threat in XY, but it is relatively unexplored in ORAS. However, I believe that it has only gotten better with the shift! Priority Ice Shard is more useful than ever, allowing it to threaten the new threatening Mega Evolutions such as Mega Sceptile and Mega Pidgeot. Furthermore, it partners well with the new threats in ORAS; it shares similar checks and counters with Dragalge, and Pangoro uses its counters as setup bait. In closing, I believe that Mega Abomasnow is an extremely potent threat from XY that has only gotten better in ORAS, but is sadly unexplored. Thanks!

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 196 SpD / 56 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

we should try and make a successful stall in this meta. jelli is uncommon on stalls but id support other defensive mons being nommed provided they're somewhat non-standard (the initial pokemon). stall is hard to build in this meta; let's give it a try.

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

This has always been a pretty underrated Rhyperior set, even in BW. Rhyperior may not be very fast, but at +2 it outspeeds most of the tier, barring Scarf Rotom-C, Mega Sceptile, +1 Hitmonlee, Scarf Delphox, and Scarf Magneton, as well as a few other Pokemon that don't really do much to it. I know that's a long list, but EdgeQuake combo along with Ice Punch to remove one of its premier counters, Gligar (after SR, Stone Edge+Ice Punch will always KO while Earthquake barely scratches Rhyp), and LO-boosted moves coming off of base 140 Attack allows it to do a lot of damage to most threats. With proper support, I think this set could be a good set to base this team around.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Slurpuff @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Drain Punch
- Return / Substitute

Slurpuff seems like a pretty fun Pokemon to build around. Anyone who's played ORAS RU knows that this thing can be quite threatening if it gets an opportunity to set up (a lot of the time it can cleanly sweep if it manages to do so, especially if things such as Bronzong and Escavalier have taken some prior damage), it's just getting that crucial Belly Drum off in the first place that can be challenging at times. This makes it practically the perfect Pokemon to build around imo, as we already have a set goal in mind from the get go (make it as easy as possible to sweep with Slurpuff through a combination of granting it easy set up opportunities and dealing with/exploiting/overwhelming its checks and counters as much as we can, preferably while making sure the team doesn't just fall apart if if Slurpuff fails to sweep), and of course, the payoff we'd get from doing this successfully is pretty high considering how scary a +6 +2 puffer can be, at least imo.

What do you all think? :o

Just remember that we don't absolutely need the team to be screens offense or smth lol

Last edited:

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Durant @ Lum Berry
Ability: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower

Alright so basically Durant is a complete savage. After a Hone Claws boost, it hits like Abobo on steroids (props if you know who he is.) However, Durant has 4MSS like, badly. In that last spot, where Superpower is, can also be Crunch (Hits Jellicent) or Rock Slide (hits Fire/Flyings) which is why I think it should be a Pokemon we build around. We can utilize it's wall breaking and sweeping potential to allow another sweeper (cough Slurpuff Molk) to kinda finish where one starts. Most of the things that bone Durant, Slurpuff takes care of, and vice versa. I can see it being a very powerful core.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
Nature: Jolly
-Hi Jump Kick
-Knock Off
-Mach Punch
-Stone Edge

So Hitmonlee was one of the most threatening sweepers/wallbreakers in XY RU (so powerful, in fact, I accused it of being broken). Ever since ORAS came out I've been seeing very little of this, but it still has tools, such as its brute power and Knock Off, to fare well in the RU metagame, perhaps using some of the new toys in ORAS for support. I'd like to explore how this Pokemon fares in the new era of RU compared to XY by building this team around it.

Shoutout to EonX for making this set.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Fire Blast
- Crunch

Houndoom was a pokemon that we had been looking forward to seeing in RU for a long time, and for good reason. It has great mixed attacking stats, decent speed, and a few moves to set it apart from the crowd like nasty plot. When it first dropped everybody was running it on their team (especially since its mega was so good.) Since then it has dropped in popularity to the point that Ive only seen it a handful of times since the mega got banned. I feel Houndoom deserves some attention again, as it is most certainly a very capable Pokemon that can tear teams apart if given a chance.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, round one nominations are over, with 7 solid choices, and its time for voting - will we go with the route of stall, a playstyle that is significantly threatened by the prevalence of wallbreakers in the tier, or a more offensively inclined team with a solid win condition? You decide!

Please make sure to vote for the username of the person whose set you're voting for, and voting will be open for 48 hours or so from the time of this post.
Also while it's not mandatory, providing explanation for your vote is appreciated. (I'll be voting later to cut down on bias)

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Molk

I dislike Durant and never really wanted to rely on such an unreliable Pokemon to sweep. The last two entries (Lee and Houndoom) aren't really Pokemon you start the team off with. Mega Abomasnow is unexplored because it's relatively uninteresting. Jellicent is literally the only pokemon TRC uses in RU, and Rhyperior while interesting is better off as a stealth rocker/offensive pivot and leaving the job of sweeping to other mons like tyrantrum for example.

Slurpuff on the other hand isn't /that/ hard to set up with against a balanced/defensive team and can be extremely threatening.

The thread doesn't mention about voting for yourself (I guess it's allowed) but anyway I don't really want to be the guy that does that

Molk BD Slurpluff does sweep well with support and although you don't really NEED a setup sweeper/late game cleaner that requires support, Slurpluff is a pretty good example of what you'd want to build around, as nothing wants to be taking much from a +6 Slurpluff with +2 Speed.

Kingler12345 everybody wants puffy to go to town but Rhyperior has some under appreciated merit (I almost nominated RP Torterra then decided RP Rhyperior was probably better).

tehy

Banned deucer.
Expulso

Sd abomasnow is such a cool set, slurpuff is a predictable mon and a boring one at that

Jellicent is literally the only pokemon TRC uses in RU
rude

I dont like building around slurpuff tbh. A common idea for ccats is building around a sweeper which makes the team rly standard since theres barely any room for innovation outside of the initial mon which in this case is common and isnt rly that interesting. Like mixed puff wouldve prolly been a better choice imo. Here you can just add a fwg + pursuit + duggy or pursuit doomer and then like a tspikes drap or lead accelgor in the last slot or smth but it doesn't come out that interesting, the best ways of getting a setup from puff is with screens or memento anyway and tho theres plenty of good slurpuff teams that rely on finding setup opportunities theyre all pretty standard since you cant rly offer it non standard support outside of like an innovative pursuit user. The stuff that baits in mons puff sets up on are common anyway :x

the best thing here is prolly kinglers rhyperior, at least it's somewhat non standard and creative building can occur from it since it requires a lot more clever play to get a team suitable for its sweep than bd puff

Expulso, obamasnow seems kewl enough and puff is getting 2 mainstream, plus i think its more of a challenge to build around a x4 fire weakness (pair it with doom maybe?)
Also for playstyle id like to see sum bulky offensive team, but thats just me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)