Playstation Console Thread

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Why don't I see a thread for this magnificent game console in this neck of the forums?

Anyways, I have a reverse-compatible 80GB PS3.

Just picked up my limited edition copy of Tales of Xilia and a used copy of Tales of Graces. Mucho excitement.

Kinda bummed that I missed out on the collector's edition since it came with a figurine.

Other notable games I own are:

Borderlands 2, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time (which wasn't amazing), FF13, CoD:MW 2, CoD:BOps, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm: Generations, Fallout: NV, Skyrim, and Samurai Basara Heroes.

Not too much of a collection, but I'm working on expanding it.

Anybody have any suggestions for expansion?

Acklow

Oh, I also have Bioshock Infinite. How could I forget? Thieves in Time was bad. Too bad. Like the ending was so anticlimatic I'm not even sure why the Paradox even existed in the first place (oh the irony). I think that they could've done way better with the story in Thieves in Time.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thieves in Time was amazing until the "Black Knight" showed up. Still, it's a good game and it's a beautiful game and I want to encourage more games like it and less like what we get from AAA developers.

Valkyria Chronicles is a strong contender for best TRPG ever, and that's coming from a Fire Emblem/Advance Wars fan.

So I'm considering getting one of these within the next couple of weeks. Should I just not bother and simply wait until the PS4 comes out, or if I do buy a PS3, what must-have games should I get?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My brother and I have bought a PS3 just about only for Tales games, everything else is just extra. If you never played a Tales game think Super Smash Brothers the RPG. Graces has the best battle system of any tales game ever but its plot is nothing great. The action point system works for both regular attacks and special attacks, which constantly recharges and makes healing a breeze as well as simplifies much of the system. Xillia splits it up to how it ought to be where the AP is for standard attacks and for specials it's like in any other tales game with TP you can use up that doesn't recharge. With Xillia 2 being localized and Symphonia HD it's no wonder the only other game I have is Valkyria Chronicles and barely played at that.

I am also working on getting a Japanese Tales of Vesperia and a text patch working, I loved the 360 version but I want those two extra characters and the rest of the goodies darn it!

So I'm considering getting one of these within the next couple of weeks. Should I just not bother and simply wait until the PS4 comes out, or if I do buy a PS3, what must-have games should I get?
The GTAV bundle is pretty great, so if you want to pick one up in the foreseeable future I'd grab that. Otherwise wait until the holidays for a nice discounted bundle. Don't bother with the 12 GB PS3. The PS3 does not support saves on external drives so it's essentially a waste of money.

Must Buys: TLoU, Uncharted Series, Journey, LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2, God of War Trilogy (not Ascension), Team ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Demon's Souls, Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown, Valkyria Chronicles and possibly other Sony IP's if they interest you (Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Resistance, InFamous, Heavy Rain).

Rain and Puppeteer are two titles that are on the horizon and both look great.

got some extra money and wanna play some cool game with a lot of replayability (speedrun ability preferred) got any cool recommendations?

Acklow

Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm games all have plenty replayability. Any of Bethesda's RPGs work (FO3, FONV, ESS). Sly Cooper Thieves in Time has built in speedrun stuff. Bioshock Infinite?

Yeah those are the only good ones I can think off the top of my head.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
If you want replayability you want Dead Rising 2, Bayonetta, Metal Gear Rising, Lollipop Chainsaw, Tomb Raider.

The GTAV bundle is pretty great, so if you want to pick one up in the foreseeable future I'd grab that. Otherwise wait until the holidays for a nice discounted bundle. Don't bother with the 12 GB PS3. The PS3 does not support saves on external drives so it's essentially a waste of money.

Must Buys: TLoU, Uncharted Series, Journey, LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2, God of War Trilogy (not Ascension), Team ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Collection, Demon's Souls, Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Crown, Valkyria Chronicles and possibly other Sony IP's if they interest you (Killzone, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Resistance, InFamous, Heavy Rain).

Rain and Puppeteer are two titles that are on the horizon and both look great.
Thanks for the suggestions man. My local EB Games store had a pre-owned 500 GB PS3 for a good price, so I grabbed that as well as TLoU, LittleBigPlanet 1, Uncharted 2 and Valkyria Chronicles. So far I've only played TLoU for a few hours and it's a pretty neat game from what I've played. I hope to get some serious use out of this baby.

Gah, trying to play a PS1 game on this is aggravating. I downloaded Crash Bandicoot 2, but the analogue stick doesn't work. I go to the controller options to turn it on, but it keeps switching back to digital mode. Anyone wanna help me out?

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
The dualshock came out 19 days later in Japan, but the west wouldn't get the dualshock for almost half a year. The dual analog controller received almost no promotion and was discontinued as soon as the dualshock came out.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
If you guys have Playstation Plus (and you should), Kingdoms of Amalur is now available for free. Amalur was one of, if not my favorite game from 2012, and it blows Skyrim out of the water. The game bombed hard when it came out, but everyone should give it a try now.

Also Ico is available, and that's good too.

Acklow

Bumping this thread to say that if you own a PS3 and have not played Ni No Kuni, you should play it. It plays sort of like a Tales game but with a creature system that mirrors Pokemon. Literally one of the best PS3 exclusives I have ever played.

Also I have 5 Tales games now total and I cannot express how much I enjoy playing games from this series. The battle system in each game is enjoyable enough to where grinding mobs does not feel like a chore. Another game comparable to the Tales series would be the Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja series (which makes sense since both series are made by Namco).

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Just started playing Borderlands 2 and it is one amazing game. My game collection is: Tekken 6, FIFA 14, WWE13, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, the aforementioned Borderlands 2, GTA 5, Uncharted 3: drake's deception and Bioshock Inifinite. My PSN nick is Hand_of_god32 if anyone wants to play with me.

I've had my PS3 for about 16 months now after playing on an Xbox 360 for 2 years. I have not regretted that change except for PSN not having Sonic 3 and Knuckles for some odd reason. I love PS+ and the many exclusive games the PS3 has over the 360. My collection so far is

Assassin's Creed 1, II, Brotherhood, Revelations, III, IV: Black Flag, and Liberation HD
Bioshock Infinite
Batman: Arkham City
The Last of Us
Battlefield Bad Company 2
God of War 1, II, III, Chains of Olympus, Ghost of Sparta, and Ascension
Sly 1, 2, 3, and 4
Borderlands 2
Uncharted 2 and 3
Grand Theft Auto V
L.A. Noire
Sonic 1, 2, Sonic CD, Sonic The Fighters, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Unleashed, and Generations
Tomb Raider
Puppeteer
Ratchet and Clank 1, 2, 3, , Deadlocked, A Crack in Time, All 4 One, and Into The Nexus
Brothers: A of Two Sons
Tales of Xillia
GRID 2
Burnout Paradise
Grand Turismo 5
WWE Smackdown vs RAW 2009, 2010, 2011
WWE 2K14
Legends of Wrestlemania
Mass Effect 2 and 3
Tekken Tag Tournament 1 and 2
Mortal Kombat
inFAMOUS 1, 2, and Festival of Blood
Dragon Ball Raging Blast 1 and 2
Dragon Ball Z Budokai 1 and 3 HD
Rayman Origins
LittleBigPlanet 1, 2, and Karting
Guacamelee
No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise
Playstation All Stars Battle Royal
Jack and Daxter 1
Sleeping Dogs
Hitman Absolution and Blood Money HD
Saints Row: The Third
The Walking Dead
OKAMI HD
DmC: Devil May Cry

Acklow

Changing the name of the thread to a more generalized Playstation Console discussion and bumping for this tidbit of news:

So KH3 is probably coming out this year. About fucking time.

Anyways, feel free to comment on PS4 titles here. I don't have one quite yet myself but since there's looking to be quite a few big name games dropping this year, I may have to pull out my wallet and invest in one.

Yeah, I don't see KH3 this year, despite the fact it'd rake in more than whatever almost on rails FF game they're working on now. I want to see a new mainstream DQ game also, step it up squenix.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
Implying that you want a game released early because it makes the company more money? Isn't that the sort of thing we usually bitch about?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)