Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Yes i meant Dragonite, idk why but i always mix up those 2... Thanks for the advice, its working wonders!

Man that's some deep thinking (im just beginning with battle mansion, started +/- a week ago) but ye i can see the problem. My Dnite got burned once till now (apart from lum berry cures) but with 2 DD it still does pretty good damage with outrage. Since you've mentioned that bulky volcarona i went to the dmg calc:

If Volca leads and QD i'll DD 2 times (he cant even kill me at full HP at +4)
+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 216-255 (112.5 - 132.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If im burned
+2 252+ Atk burned Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Volcarona: 108-127 (56.2 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Thats not bad. But if im too low and end up dying, and then have to use Kang to finish her off AND get burned, ye i think thats game unless Aegi can clean up the house after...

Thanks for the help, but if i get to 70~ i would be very happy xD

Edit: Im running smogon's Mixed Attacker VGC14 Aegislash with Sacred Sword and Weakness Policy and it worked really well until now (i took a break before battle 40).
But im thinking if leftovers would be better... any thoughts?
Only one super effective STAB have 1HKO till now, if its not STAB he survives in def form and then its easy clean with +2. But apart from that WP doesnt help that much.
I swear by Brave/Adamant 252 HP/252 Atk with King's Shield/Swords Dance/Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak @ Leftovers. The issue is that +2 Aegislash can OHKO whatever Pokemon your opponent has out, but because it's slow and took a super-effective hit, it can easily die to whatever your opponent has out. Also, if we look at its weaknesses, we see:

Ground: Free switch to Dragonite
Fire: You don't want to take a hit from this anyway, because most Fire moves can burn
Dark: Probably the best type to trigger WP, but you still don't want to get hit by Dark Pulse, because it can flinch
Ghost: Free switch to Kangaskhan

The Leftovers set can easily set up on many opponents, and a +6 Aegislash can sweep a lot of teams with Shadow Sneak. Leftovers + King's Shield lets it get to pretty high health before attacking, meaning even if it has to use Sacred Sword, it usually tank the hit and do so safely. Leftovers also makes Aegislash a more reliable switch-in to Choice Band Tyrantrum.

Just achieved an ongoing streak of 200 with Aerodactyl/Landorus-T/Greninja/Aegislash/Sylveon/Mega-Salamence in Super Multi Triples. Set Details to come soonsince it's late here.

But for now, anybody dare hazard a glance at what move i used to make this team bulkier than it should be on paper?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just achieved an ongoing streak of 200 with Aerodactyl/Landorus-T/Greninja/Aegislash/Sylveon/Mega-Salamence in Super Multi Triples. Set Details to come soonsince it's late here.

But for now, anybody dare hazard a glance at what move i used to make this team bulkier than it should be on paper?
Super Multi Triples?? Am I missing something here?

Well Greninja is probably running Mat Block to let Aerodactyl set up Tailwind which lets you put more EVs in bulk rather than speed? You also have two Intimidators and Aegislash so everything is extra physically bulky, maybe you even have Calm Mind or Assault Vest on Sylveon... Seems like a pretty standard Mat Block + Tailwind + spread attack spam team to me (triples bread and butter), I hope I'm proved wrong in the write up :)

Wide Guard to shut down stuff trying Blizzard on your 4x Ice weaks.

I finally got my 5 trophies. Here are the teams I used

Super Singles
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EV: HP 252 SpDef 252 Def 6
Moveset: Earthquake/Protect/Aerial Ace/Toxic

Greninja @ Life Orb (lead)
Ability: Protean
Nature: Timid
IV: 31/x/x/31/x/31
EV: SpAtk 252 Spd 252 HP 4
Moveset: Grassknot/Surf/Extrasensory/Ice Beam

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant
EV: Attk 252 HP 252 SpDef 6
Moveset: Bullet Punch/Roost/Swords Dance/Bug Bite.

Basically sweep as much as you can with Greninja and swap in Scizor to clean up. As for threats, like Electric types, I just swap in Gliscor to take the hit. As for Aerial Ace on Gliscor, you can put something else in there if you like, but I like to use Aerial Ace just so I don't miss opponents when they spam increase evasion or decrease accuracy.

Super Doubles
Cresselia @ Mental Herb (Lead)
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Relaxed
IV: 31/x/31/31/31/0
EV: 252 HP/108 Def/148 SpDef
Moveset: Trick Room/Psychic/Ice Beam/Helping Hand

Aron lvl 1 @ Shell Bell (Lead)
Ability: Sturdy
Nature: Brave
IV: 0/0/0/0/0/0
EV: No EVs
Moveset: Endeavor/Protect/Swagger/Toxic

Machamp @ Focus Sash
Ability: No Guard
IV: 31/31/31/31/31/0
EV: 252 HP 252 Attk 4 SpDef
Moveset: DynamicPunch/Stone Edge/Knock Off/Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate/Huge Power
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/0
EVs: 252 HP/252 Attk/4 SpDef
Moveset: Play Rough/Iron Head/Ice Punch/Sucker Punch

Using cheesy tactics on dumb AI. Nothing more to say about this team. Setup Trick Room using Cresselia and Protect Aron. Endeavor whatever you can. If it's double ghost type, use Swagger or Toxic and pray for confuse procs. If Aron dies, just do as much damage as possible with the remaining team. Nothing too special about this team.

Super Triple

Charizard @ Charizardite Y (Lead)
Ability:Blaze
Nature:Timid
EV: 252 SpAtt 6 SpDef 252 Spd
Moveset: Beat Up/Flamethrower/Solarbeam/Protect

Terrakion @ Wide Lens (Lead)
Ability:Justified
EV: 252 Atk 6 SpDef 252 Spd
Moveset:Rock Slide/Earthquake/Sacred Sword/Protect

Latias @ Focus Sash (Lead)
EV: 252 HP 6 Def 252 Spd
Moveset: Tailwind/Helping Hand/Thunder Wave/Sunny Day

EVENT Oblivia: Heatran @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
Nature: Quiet
EV: 252 SpA 6 SpDef 252 Spd
Moveset: Eruption/Earth Power/Solar Beam/Dragon Pulse

Camerupt @ Life Orb
Ability: Solid Rock
EV: 6 HP 252 SpAttk 252 Spd
Moveset: Eruption/Earth Power/Solar Beam/Lava Plume

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability:Gale Wings
IV: 31/31/31/0/31/31
EV: 252 Attk 252 Spd 6 HP
Moveset: Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/Swords Dance/Tailwind

The strategy behind this team is to sweep with Terrakion. Latias Tailwind, Terrakion Protect Charizard Protect first turn, then use Charizard Beat up on Terrakion to give it +5 or 6 depending on Latias status. The only weakness to this team is Trick Room. If that's the case, do as much damage as you can, then use the Sunny Day Eurption on Heatran and Lava Plume Camerupt to increase the fire type attack on Heatran. Brave Bird priority on Talanflame does huge damage.

Super Rotation

EVENT XY Gengar @ Focus Sash (lead)
IV: 31/0/31/31/31/31
EV: 252 Spd 252 SpAttk 6 HP
Moveset: Destiny Bond/Energy Ball/Shadow Ball/Sludge Wave

Kangaskhan @ Kangashkanite
Ability: Scrappy / Parental Bond
Nature:Adamant
EV: Attk 252 Spd 252 HP 6
Moveset: Fake out/Return/Power up Punch/Sucker Punch

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Healer
Nature: Bold
IV: 31/x/31/x/31/31
EV: HP 252 Def 126 SpDef 126
Moveset: Calm Mind/Draining Kiss/Heal Bell/Wish

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EV: Attk 252 HP 252 SpDef 6
Moveset: Bullet Punch, Roost, Swords Dance, Bug Bite.

I basically lead with Gengar. Try to bring down at least 1 pokemon and use Destiny Bond. After Scizor comes in, get some setup with swords dance, rotate to Audino to wish, and process to sweep using Bullet Punch. Occasionally use a Roost to get HP up or rotate Wish. If the team has status problems, just rotate Audino to heal up the party's status problems.

Super Multi
AI Partner: Steve
My Pokemon:
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability Trace -> Pixilate
31/31/31/31/x/31
-Hyper Voice
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Protect

Terrakion @ Focus sash
Ability: Justified
Nature: Jolly
31/31/31/31/31/31
-Earthquake
-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Poison Jab/X-Scissor

Hard to figure what Steve will do most of the time. I just try to use whatever move is super effective/does the most damage on the opponent(s). AI does some crazy paralyze/Freeze/flinch hacks, so just beat whatever pokemon you can, and all out attack everything.

Attachments

Last edited:
I swear by Brave/Adamant 252 HP/252 Atk with King's Shield/Swords Dance/Sacred Sword/Shadow Sneak @ Leftovers. The issue is that +2 Aegislash can OHKO whatever Pokemon your opponent has out, but because it's slow and took a super-effective hit, it can easily die to whatever your opponent has out. Also, if we look at its weaknesses, we see:

Ground: Free switch to Dragonite
Fire: You don't want to take a hit from this anyway, because most Fire moves can burn
Dark: Probably the best type to trigger WP, but you still don't want to get hit by Dark Pulse, because it can flinch
Ghost: Free switch to Kangaskhan

The Leftovers set can easily set up on many opponents, and a +6 Aegislash can sweep a lot of teams with Shadow Sneak. Leftovers + King's Shield lets it get to pretty high health before attacking, meaning even if it has to use Sacred Sword, it usually tank the hit and do so safely. Leftovers also makes Aegislash a more reliable switch-in to Choice Band Tyrantrum.
I have to agree with you about that. Aegislash with SD is definitely better for the mansion with the priority move than my current one. But that would take time to breed (time that i don't have right now...) and for my objective i think this Aegislash is good enough. Thanks for all your knowledge and useful info.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Finally got all 5 Trophies in ORAS :D
That's cool man, but how about telling us about the teams you used through all the modes / any difficulties you may have had etc... Just posting a lone photo won't get you a pat on the back, let alone added to the Hall of Fame

(not trying to be a dick, lol)

That's cool man, but how about telling us about the teams you used through all the modes / any difficulties you may have had etc... Just posting a lone photo won't get you a pat on the back, let alone added to the Hall of Fame

(not trying to be a dick, lol)
Yea I'm working on it now.

This is my Triple Battle team, which has a current streak of 50 in AS and had a streak of something past 60 on X:

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SA / 252 Sp / 4 HP
~ Round
~ Thunder Wave
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt

Aurorus (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regrigerate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SA, 252 HP / 4 D
~ Round
~ Ancient Power
~ Discharge
~ Dark Pulse

Mega Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy -> Pixelate
EVs: 252 SA / 252 S / 4 D
~ Round
~ Focus Blast
~ Psyshock
~ Energy Ball

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 A / 252 S / 4 HP
~ Round
~ Protect
~ Low Kick
~ Flare Blitz

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
~ Round
~ Dark Pulse
~ Mat Block
~ Scald

Porygon-Z @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
~ Round
~ Tri Attack
~ Ice Beam
~ Shadow Ball

The key is Jolteon using Round on the first turn outspeeding every Pokemon in the Battle Masion aside from Aerodactyl with Choice Scarf, then the other two following up immediately with Ice- and Fairy- Rounds at 120 * 1.3 * 1.5 = 234 BP, which hits very hard and frequently leaves the opponent with only one Pokemon left to attack with. Blaziken is great for countering Steel, and Greninja offers great support with Mat Block or using Round quickly if Jolteon is lost. Porygon-Z has Adaptability so its round gets 120 * 2 = 240 BP.

I'm not sure about many of the remaining moves, which tend to not matter. Jolteon uses Round first turn over 95% of the time, as does Aurorus. I used to have Hi Jump Kick on Blaziken, but I would almost never use it because of the consequences of missing, and the Pokemon I want to use Fighting moves against tend to be very heavy anyways.

One thing to note, is that even if Jolteon uses Round on a Ghost, it still activates the others, so I use it even if both of its potential targets are Ghosts.

Does anyone know why the third round sometimes fails? It follows the other two the majority of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. I haven't identified anything that would cause it yet.

This is my Triple Battle team, which has a current streak of 50 in AS and had a streak of something past 60 on X:

Jolteon (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SA / 252 Sp / 4 HP
~ Round
~ Thunder Wave
~ Shadow Ball
~ Thunderbolt

Aurorus (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Regrigerate
EVs: 252 SA, 252 HP / 4 D
~ Round
~ Ancient Power
~ Discharge
~ Dark Pulse

Mega Gardevoir (M) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy -> Pixelate
EVs: 252 SA / 252 S / 4 D
~ Round
~ Focus Blast
~ Psyshock
~ Energy Ball

Blaziken (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 A / 252 S / 4 HP
~ Round
~ Protect
~ Low Kick
~ Flare Blitz

Greninja (M) @ Focus Sash
~ Round
~ Dark Pulse
~ Mat Block
~ Scald

Porygon-Z @ Assault Vest
Ability: Adaptability
~ Round
~ Tri Attack
~ Ice Beam
~ Shadow Ball

The key is Jolteon using Round on the first turn outspeeding every Pokemon in the Battle Masion aside from Aerodactyl with Choice Scarf, then the other two following up immediately with Ice- and Fairy- Rounds at 120 * 1.3 * 1.5 = 234 BP, which hits very hard and frequently leaves the opponent with only one Pokemon left to attack with. Blaziken is great for countering Steel, and Greninja offers great support with Mat Block or using Round quickly if Jolteon is lost. Porygon-Z has Adaptability so its round gets 120 * 2 = 240 BP.

I'm not sure about many of the remaining moves, which tend to not matter. Jolteon uses Round first turn over 95% of the time, as does Aurorus. I used to have Hi Jump Kick on Blaziken, but I would almost never use it because of the consequences of missing, and the Pokemon I want to use Fighting moves against tend to be very heavy anyways.

One thing to note, is that even if Jolteon uses Round on a Ghost, it still activates the others, so I use it even if both of its potential targets are Ghosts.

Does anyone know why the third round sometimes fails? It follows the other two the majority of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. I haven't identified anything that would cause it yet.
This team looks fun as hell. The issue of "why doesn't triple Round always work?" was a topic of debate on either this thread or the Research thread a LONG time ago (still 6th gen, though). IIRC, we never found out why it didn't always work.

Out of curiousity, I checked, and Salamence learns Round. That means you can supplement your team with a freaking Mega Salamence Aerilate 120 BP Round, which is unspeakably amazing. It's also outsped by half of your current team (Speed Boosted Blaziken, Greninja, and Jolteon), so it should be going second pretty often. You'd have to give up Mega Gardevoir, though, which is a substantial loss in power (but Intimidate support is kind of cool). Life Orb/Pixie Plate Sylveon could work as a back-up, with Hyper Voice still having some spread utility.

...I actually kind of want to try this now. But I have to, you know, catch Rayquaza first.

Last edited:
This team looks fun as hell. The issue of "why doesn't triple Round always work?" was a topic of debate on either this thread or the Research thread a LONG time ago (still 6th gen, though). IIRC, we never found out why it didn't always work.

Out of curiousity, I checked, and Salamence learns Round. That means you can supplement your team with a freaking Mega Salamence Aerilate 120 BP Round, which is unspeakably amazing. It's also outsped by half of your current team (Speed Boosted Blaziken, Greninja, and Jolteon), so it should be going second pretty often. You'd have to give up Mega Gardevoir, though, which is a substantial loss in power (but Intimidate support is kind of cool). Life Orb/Pixie Plate Sylveon could work as a back-up, with Hyper Voice still having some spread utility.

...I actually kind of want to try this now. But I have to, you know, catch Rayquaza first.
The team used to have a Sylveon, but I replaced it with Blaziken, which really helped in dealing with steel types. I hadn't considered Mega Salamence, given it didn't exist at the time I created the team, but it looks like it would work rather well. I may try it.

I was wondering if Serperior with Contrary would be a good option to blow through the first 40 battles in Super Singles. I slapped a Wide Lens on it and tried it out. Verdict- too many grass resists and horrendous coverage and power before the first Leaf Storm.

That is as a first poke though. He might be ok as a second poke cleaner in a first 40 rush team, but probably not.

If you didn't need Wide Lens, Life Orb or Lum might make him usable.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
I was wondering if Serperior with Contrary would be a good option to blow through the first 40 battles in Super Singles. I slapped a Wide Lens on it and tried it out. Verdict- too many grass resists and horrendous coverage and power before the first Leaf Storm.

That is as a first poke though. He might be ok as a second poke cleaner in a first 40 rush team, but probably not.

If you didn't need Wide Lens, Life Orb or Lum might make him usable.
Well here it is, new toy hype. Serperior will never be able to do too much in singles because its coverage is so limited, he just doesn't have any moves! You basically have Leaf Storm and Hidden Power, then you can throw in Giga Drain, and then what? Mirror Coat? Glare? You'll probably need Dragon Pulse since Leaf Storm + Hidden Power Rock or Fire leaves you vulnerable to them, I mean it's a good move on Char-Y, but that's because he has a monstrous special attack stat without boosting, which Serperior doesn't. I think Serp will be much better in doubles or Rotations where it has a teammate to deal with stuff that Leaf Storm doesn't hurt, Rotations is probably best as you can freely rotate and not lose your boosts, allowing you to clear the field of Fire / Flying / Steel / Dragon types so Serp can sweep. A bit gimmicky but since he doesn't have 4 good moves you could even fit Grass Pledge on him in Doubles, when used with Water Pledge, the opposing team is slowed by 50% (basically a worse Tailwind), Serp appreciates a Water type partner so a Mat Block + Water Pledge Greninja could help it get to +2 on turn one, then slow everything down... Contrary gives you +1 attack from Intimidate so maybe you could throw in a physical attack like Aqua Tail or something?

If I was ever going to try Serp in singles it would probably be as a fast shuffler with Rest / Sleep Talk / Dragon Tail / Coil (like a worse gen V Copycat Riolu) haha

Well here it is, new toy hype. Serperior will never be able to do too much in singles because its coverage is so limited, he just doesn't have any moves! You basically have Leaf Storm and Hidden Power, then you can throw in Giga Drain, and then what? Mirror Coat? Glare? You'll probably need Dragon Pulse since Leaf Storm + Hidden Power Rock or Fire leaves you vulnerable to them, I mean it's a good move on Char-Y, but that's because he has a monstrous special attack stat without boosting, which Serperior doesn't. I think Serp will be much better in doubles or Rotations where it has a teammate to deal with stuff that Leaf Storm doesn't hurt, Rotations is probably best as you can freely rotate and not lose your boosts, allowing you to clear the field of Fire / Flying / Steel / Dragon types so Serp can sweep. A bit gimmicky but since he doesn't have 4 good moves you could even fit Grass Pledge on him in Doubles, when used with Water Pledge, the opposing team is slowed by 50% (basically a worse Tailwind), Serp appreciates a Water type partner so a Mat Block + Water Pledge Greninja could help it get to +2 on turn one, then slow everything down... Contrary gives you +1 attack from Intimidate so maybe you could throw in a physical attack like Aqua Tail or something?

If I was ever going to try Serp in singles it would probably be as a fast shuffler with Rest / Sleep Talk / Dragon Tail / Coil (like a worse gen V Copycat Riolu) haha
Fast Glare is great when you have a Fallout 3 wasteland of options. Rotations would be an interesting spot. He gets Screens at least.

I've been tempted to play around with Greninja with some of his newer move options. I don't think Gunk Shot would be very effective in the Maison, but I do think Low Kick has a lot of merits. In particular, I was thinking of pairing him with Mega-Salamence. In fact, the funniest part about gunk shot was this feeling I had that the best merits of poison were the defensive boons it provided when someone was planning on using a fighting type attack on original form greninja, but that is neither here nor there.

Has anyone tested him out with Low Kick?

The question becomes what is the best set when running this? Initially, because I was pairing it with return/earthquake mence, I decided extrasensory wasn't super necessary, would low kick best replace surf?

I was thinking something like:

Greninja (F) @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
EVs: 36 Atk / 220 SpA / 252 Spd
~ Low Kick
~ Dark Pulse
~ Ice Beam
~ Grass Knot

While you lose the advantage over fire pokemon, it allows you to nail a few extra types. Having coverage over steel, dark, and even normal is pretty nice. The EV spread could change as I haven't really tried to take note of what I could or could not kill with losing a certain amount of special attack. I will probably do more as I experience playing with it.

My planned setup is going to be the above Greninja,

Mega-Mence
Ability: Intimidate -> Aerilate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: Not entirely sure, planned on traditional 4/252/252, but may change based on how bulky I want/need him or his subs to be.
~ Dragon Dance
~ Return
~ Earthquake
~ Substitute / Roost

The last ability depends if I want a better chance at scouting movesets or helping me maul stall based pokemon. Between these two, the offensive type coverage is incredible.

I also have a toss-up on the last slot...

Ferrothorn(F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 168 SpDef (yields 160/176 defenses with 176 in nature-boosted stat)
~ Gyro Ball
~ Power Whip / Curse / Stealth Rock
~ Leech Seed
~ Protect

Ferrothorn has great synergy with this team(and mega-mence in particular). The above offensive duo team has a super-effective move against every type except fairy and Ferrothorn closes that down. Ferrothorn provides stalling power against some really annoying choice users when switched to. Also, with protect, he can scout for his weaknesses and switch to mega-mence who can sponge the attacks. As a bonus, if I run substitute on Mega-mence, I can take advantage of the leech seed after the switch and restore health while setting up. I have some options in that second move if I want a Ferrothorn that can really end games with Curse + Gyro combo. Also, if a starting threat is pretty large and Ferrothorn comes in early to sponge, stealth rocks can often turn some shaky OHKOs and potential 2HKOs into 1HKOs for the other two, especially single fire pokemon are susceptible to rocks and will likely be coming in on him. This is what I consider to be the safest pairing option, as it gives great type synergy with the other two.

OR

Rotom-W(F) @ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpDef
~ Hydro Pump
~ Volt Switch
~ Will-o-Wisp
~ Pain Split

Now, I am sure you are thinking what I think every time I see this as my on my list of pros and cons paper and think WTF. This Rotom is kind of an obnoxious lead Rotom-W whose goal is to generally slow-turn and screw over Pokemon who prefer to take advantage against offensive members of your team by not dying in one hit. Because the first two are offensive juggernauts, but Greninja is especially frail, this set is kind of a facade judgment lead. You volt switch out to screw over sash and sturdy users into the best match-up of the other two pokemon, preferably while slower than your opponent. If you are faster or like the match up, you dust put the clamps on the first pokemon and repeat the process. There are very few really scary pokemon who are slower than base Rotom-W for the offensive pokemon above. Rotom doesn't give two shits about lead-intimidaters or generally about most abilities. The EVs allow you to never get one-shot by that obnoxious Tyrantrum with Head Smash. When you sponge damage, you can eventually come back in and pain split to cripple other sturdy/sash/stall pokemon to, again, help your team gain momentum. Especially since, while slow, he is actually faster than most walls and can use that to his advantage.

In X and Y, I rode a hybrid Rotom to 200 wins in a VoltTurn + MegaMom team(Talonflame) that really shocked me, and often times, Rotom was the surprise hero. Furthermore, he is very difficult to kill in one hit. Even adamant mold breaker Excadrill's earthquake fails to kill this version in one hit 62.5% of the time(though it isn't likely that I'd stay in with that unless it was an air balloon Excadrill as Mega-Mence could massacre it). One of the main boons overall is so few pokemon run grass type moves so they don't have anything super-effective to hit you with and even if they did, Mega-Mence resists grass 4x.

So as crazy as this sounds, I am tempted to use Rotom-W, simply for the unexpected factor. If it fails, I can simply revert to Ferrothorn, but if it works like I envision it, frankly, I feel it could be amazing. I don't know if it is my previous experience bias talking(although, to be fair, Ferrothorn is probably my favorite pokemon based on previous experience. He is out of control.), but Low Kick Greninja has me really excited about possibilities.

Last edited:
Wide Guard to shut down stuff trying Blizzard on your 4x Ice weaks.
Ding ding, That's right! Reporting in with a 200 ongoing win streak in Super Triples with a team of Aerodactyl/Landorus-T/Greninja/Sylveon/Aegislash/M-Salamence

This is a team centred around Wide Guard, taking advantage of the plethora of shared weaknesses between the frontlines to encourage the AI to use as many SE spread moves as possible. From there i turn our many weaknesses into a powerful strength

Long Wall of Text incoming

IV Spreads all perfect unless otherwise noted

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature

- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
- Tailwind

Support Aerodactyl with a few reasons for using it over Talonflame as a Tailwind user

Moveset

Wide Guard - Main reason for using Aerodactyl. He is one of only three Pokemon to learn both Wide Guard and Tailwind, the other being Pelipper and Mantine, who are…yeah. Vulnerable to many SE spread moves, like Surf, Blizzard and Rock Slide, Aerodactyl's many weaknesses become a boon as it serves as an effective lure for many moves, with Wide Spread stopping them cold. Furthermore, it blocks against your own spread moves doing damage to your own Pokemon, meaning that Landorus-T is free to use EQ and not worry about harming Greninja, Aegislash or Sylveon without Air Balloon Even better, Wide Guard does not fail with repeated uses, so it is most often used as a poor man's Mat Block after turn one

Tailwind- I feel that it is a better setter of Tailwind compared to Talonflame, at least for this team. True it lacks Talonflame's priority Tailwind but Rock Typing means that I need not consider a Fake Out user stopping my Tailwind. While Talonflame does beat out Taunt and Prankster Taunt users, for Aerodactyl, there are only two Pokemon in the entire Maison that can stop me using Taunt and each has only occurred once. Based on this aspect alone, Aerodactyl wins in this department as a Tailwind Setter

Taunt- Another fantastic move that Aerodactyl has the space for- shuts down Wide Guard, Status Users, TR setters and Evasion spammers, Taunt is used to neutralize key Pokemon that can get out of hand if left alone to mess with the battlefield

Rock Slide - Stab spread move that deals good SE damage to a wide part of the Maison and compliments both Landorus and M-Salamence Earthquake. Added bonus of flinch hax in stopping slower Pokemon is welcome too. Accuracy is not much of an issue as I don’t depend on it to do damage. Aerodactyl more often than not is far busier using its support movepool as above

Focus Sash: Allows Aerodactyl to forgo defensive investment and secures for it a Turn-One Tailwind. Furthermore, if facing opposing Electrode, Jolteon and Aerodactyl that speed tie, there is less of a worry of getting KO by opposing SE move if the speed tie is lost. 1hp status is also a great lure to protect the centre sweeper from one more attack

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Yache Berry
Ability: Intimidate

Adamant Nature

- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

SD Landorus is the lead centre sweeper and the first of my win conditions.

Mat Block-Tailwind makes a good protective and supportive core for Landorus to go for a T1 SD. +2 Spread EQ, like Water Spout, is able to deliver a field wipe then on the next Turn, setting up frequent 6-4 or 6-3 situations at the end of Turn 2

Rock Slide is classic coverage, hitting the Flying Pokemon and Levitating Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake. Accuracy is hit and miss but Landorus has enough bulk to stomach a few neutral hits.

Knock Off rounds out the coverage. With Greninja losing Dark Pulse, Knock off is the next best TR check, as well as a strong single Target Attack in case of Wide Guard.

Finally, why Yache Berry?

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 234-281 (142.6 - 171.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Mainly due to this damage calc

Status is less of a worry due to taunt. I do not fear paralysis or poison. Other conditions can be taunted or played around. Confusion is an issue but not as threatening as having to survive Lead Weavile's Ice Punch

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb (5iv.no.def)

IV: 31/31/x/31/31/31

EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naïve Nature
- Mat Block
- Grass Knot
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

The first three moves in his moveset are pretty standard for Greninja and provide essential coverage for this frontline. Grass knot is especially useful in making Greninja a Ground resist if Aerodactyl cannot use Wide Guard. To add a further note, in the worst case scenario, Greninja has enough bulk to survive +2 spread Earthquake from Landorus if he is grass type after one Life Orb attack.

Low Kick is a pretty unique move, replacing Dark Pulse on standard move-sets. Trading coverage and the ability to check TR Psychics and Ghosts, Greninja uses Low Kick to check specific threats to the lead Pokemon. Notable examples are Wide Guard Bastiodon, Beartic, Levitate Cryogonal and Magnezone

Life Orb grants a strong enough power boost to Greninja, allowing him to OHKO nearly every Grass type in the Maison. Greninja is thus able to carry its own weight and more, sniping off slower checks and resists to Landorus Spread Earthquake. Exceptions are Ludicolo and Ferrothorn.

Salamence (F) @ Salamencite (Triple M)

Ability: Intimidate -> Aerilate

IV Spread: 31/31/31/31/x/31

EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA

Naive Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Protect

Originally my first centre Pokemon, I moved MixMegaMence to the backline after an initial run of 136 wins because I realised it did not have the same kick as Landorus after 2 turns. STAB Aerilate-boosted Hyper Voice off 120 base neutral invested SpA or Earthquake off 140 neutral base Attack is not as powerful as Stab EQ from Landorus or M-Blastoise Water Spout. However it works better as a backup and clean-up sweeper, coming in to pick off weakened Pokemon under Tailwind

With no investment and a positive nature, normal Salamence hits 132 base speed before Tailwind, just above the 130 speed baseline that can out speed all post-40 Pokemon under Tailwind. Thus I can dump all EVs to Attack and Special Attack, providing strong nearly unresisted coverage. Between Flying Hyper Voice and EQ, only Eelektross, Zapdos, Thundurus, Skarmory, Aerodactyl, Archeops and Levitating Bronzing resist this coverage and all but Bronzing are hit for SE or neutral by the other Pokemon in this team

Crunch is used over Dragon Claw as another TR check and because Dragon Claw + Low Kick is not good enough to KO Sturdy Bastiodon4 after Sitrus Berry. Furthermore, other dragon types are easily taken care of by Ice Beam and Hyper Voice, although it is useful to KO the Lati twins

Protect is there as a basic defensive option. Since it is a back Pokemon, it could be dropped for other coverage options like Flamethrower, Aerialiate Return as a substitute for Talonflame's Brave Bird, Rock Slide for more coverage and another spread move and maybe Draco Meteor as a nuke if needed. It is good through to draw focus and burn TR turns when the frontline is down.

Other than that, Triple M Salamence has incredible physical bulk, laughing at neutral hits, taking around 35% from Stone Edge after intimidate and being able to tank Ice Punch, and ice Shard. Stay away from Ice beam because negative nature and imperfect Iv means even weak Ice Beams will KO.

Sylveon @ Air Balloon
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 8 HP / 248 SpA / 248 Spe

Modest Nature

- Hyper Voice
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Helping Hand
- Protect

It is not CM, AV or Specs Sylveon but rather Air Balloon Sylveon! As in other Triple teams featuring Sylveon, one of its primary roles is to serve as another spread sweeper with Pixilate Hyper Voice. However, I use Air Balloon rather than Specs or Pixie Plate, trading a bit of boosting and sweeping power for increased versatility. Air Balloon provides another switch in option for Landorus or Salamence when using EQ, so that it can support the central sweeper the next turn with a Helping Hand boost. HP Fire is used as coverage against Steel, especially Skarmory and Bronzing, although Psyshock for Wide Guard Mienshao is another viable option.

I pack Protect in case Air Balloon pops and it is far more useful for an EQ to be fired rather than Hyper Voice. Other than that, general usage for Protect applies here

Incrediblly versatile, Air Balloon Helping Hand Sylveon is a Pokemon that can come in from any position and either boost the centre sweeper's spread move to turn some 2HKOs to OHKOs or start sweeping from the centre themselves. HH also has the added benefit that Sylveon can still impact the Pokemon on the other side.

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk

Brave Nature

IVs: 0 Spe

- Wide Guard
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

The last Pokemon, the one that ties it all together, Wide Guard Weakness Policy Aegislash is used not just for Wide guard but as the last Pokemon with the best one v1 position. Shadow Sneak is essential priority while Sacred Sword is a good move that cuts through Evasion hax. (Minimize Blissey, I am looking at you)

As a second Wide Guard user, Aegislash is often brought in Triples to serve as another lure, as Wide Guard also protects it from my own EQs

General Strategy

Turn 1: Tailwind- SD- Mat Block

Turn 2: Aerodactyl uses Wide Guard, Landorus field wipes with +2 EQ, while Greninja snipes a potential threat while being protected by Wide Guard

Future Turns go similarly, with Aerodactyl using Wide Guard, Lando spamming EQ or RS while LO Greninja packs enough power to deliver one KO a turn. If Greninja's help is not needed, I can always swap to Sylveon for a Helping Hand boost while I can KO the Left-most Enemy. Rock Slide from Aero is only used if I am not spamming EQ or if Greninja's health is too low from LO.

However, often times if Aerodactyl cannot use Tailwind first Turn, it is often up to Greninja to snipe the faster Counters that can KO Landorus. If Aero needs to use Tailwind, it is advisable for Greninja to use Grass Knot so as to resist Lando's EQ. In a pinch, Grass Type Greninja has the ability to fire off two LO attacks after eating +2 Lando's spread EQ.

It is important for teammates to work together as the 1v1 capabilities of this team is not strong. Greninja is walled by Ghost types and Chandelure especially with a lack of Dark Pulse, Aero only has one attacking move and both Salamence and Sylveon depends on repeated hits to secure victories. While it is not that important to keep their HP high to maintain attack output, unlike M-Blastoise, it is important that the centre sweepers survive or at least do as much damage as possible. Wide Guard and the use of the side Pokemon as lures are the key to making sure the centre sweeper deals as much damage as possible

Top threats

Dangerous leads

Slowbro/King - Bulky pokemon that lay down Trick Room or spam SE attacks. Chance of having Oblivious as its ability negates my Taunt Shenanigans. Nonetheless it showing up as its lead is too risky not to try a taunt and depending on its position can be tricky to take down. Caution against setting up Tailwind if either one is on the field.

Aromatisse - Another TR setter with another annoying ability in Sweet Veil that negates my Taunt Shenanigans. Fortunately, it only knows Dazzling Gleam as an attack move, although its support move-pool prolongs battles

Bronzong - TR Setter and theLevitate variant is the only Pokemon that resists ALL my spread moves( Ground, Rock, Fairy, Flying). A fast Taunt is needed although my typing often draws it to use Rock slide more often than not

Weavile - Lead Ice Punch even under Intimidate is very huge threat and it is one of the few Pokemon that can outspeed Greninja before it can lay down Mat Block and do massive damage to my main damage dealers. Both Set 3 and 4 carries Focus Sash to add their threat presence, while Set 4's taunt is problematic after Turn 1 if aimed at Aerodactyl, shutting down my use of Wide Guard. Mainly why I carry Yache Berry as above

Froslass- Shutting down your key moves with Cursed body is frustrating enough. Carrying a Focus Sash to linger around the battlefield longer than it should is doubly worse. Special mention for being one of the few Ice-types that Greninja cannot KO with Low Kick, the other being Articuno, although Grass Knot still does surprisingly good damage to it. Nonethelass Set 3 and 4 are stopped by Wide Guard as it only uses Blizzard when faced with my frontline

Crobat
Prankster Tornadus

The above two carry the only Taunts that can stop Aerodactyl, though Crobat's is a speed tie. Thankfully both is hurt SE by Rock Slide but shutting down Aero's support movepool means both Landorus and Greninja is more vulnerable. On another note Tornadus' partners aren't that dangerous, with Suicune, Articuno and Explosion Regirock being some of the only threats.

Vaporean/Glaceon- Small and light enough for Greninja to do crap damage with either Grass Knot or Low Kick, doing barely 40-45% even with Life Orb. While they can be walled with Wide Guard, a particularly devasting combo with Jolteon managed to knock out my front line in the first turn, a feat not since replicated with another team

Scarf Darmanitan - Superpower is a clean KO on Greninja and this Set 4 is very worrisome if it appears directly opposite Greninja. Still a safe switch in to Aegislash is possible if you believe his other two teammates might not be so dangerous.

Fast Electrics

Electrode

Jolteon

Scarf Manectric

All three pokemon, if directly opposite Greninja, have the potential to OHKO it and prevent it from setting up Mat Block, although they are equally hurt by EQ. Furthermore there is weakness in my team that with Landorus as a centre partner, I have no good switch in, especially as I fear paralysis hax. However appearing in that position seems to be very rare for these fast Electrics. Other Wise, Aero does not really fear it, due to Focus Sash, although Paralysis Hax can hinder my strategy of spamming Wide Guard sometimes.

Status Users

Honchkrow

Mandibuzz

Altaria

Spiritomb

Lopunny

Chandelure

Gothitelle

Umbreon

All of the pokemon managed to cast either a burn or confusion onto Landorus or paralysis onto my Side pokemon, creating a huge obstacle for my sweep. Lopunny earns a special mention for its Switcheroo set, passing me its burning Flame Orb and removing my defensive Yache Berry or Life Orb. Although the target selection can be random, Lopunny is a particularly annoying pokemon to knock out as it can do nothing else after that

Gothitelle is another option, with its Flatter + Psych Up combo. Having Competitive magnifies its danger even more as it spreads confusion hax on the first turn while we are trying to set up

Honchkrow is also a dangerous lead. Either it casts Thunder Wave onto my side pokemon or it uses Snatch to grab an ill-deserved Tailwind boost.

All of the above Pokemon deserve an immediate taunt if possible, else it is irritating to work around them

Trick Room

Trick Room is a perennial problem and I carry Taunt mainly because of them. Their bulky defenses make them frustrating to take down and multiple TR setters in the first turn can make it a coin tosss as to who to Taunt. The Loss of Dark Pulse on Greninja is most acutely felt here, although Lando's Knock Off is a viable situation.

Particular mentions go to Cofagrigius and Dusknoir for being incredibly hard to take down, besides Slowking and Slowbro. Trevenant is also dangerous. While it has 3 attacking moves and only 1 Trick Room, a Taunt on it is still highly recommended as well

Annoying Pokemon

Eelektross

TalonFlame

Minimize Blissey

Toxic-Stall Tauros

Stockpile Cradily

Stockpile Lanturn

Toxic Trapper Shuckle

Toxi-Stall Cresselia

Stockpile Status Weezing

Alone, they are not so scary. Left alone, they can be pretty annoying to knock out. There is a certain pleasure in firing off a well-deserved Taunt and watching them struggle…. literally as some lack attacking moves

Proof of 200 win streak: LZSW-WWWW-WWWU-5VMZ

Enemies: Vileplume/Durant/Jynx/Samurott/Ambipom/Ferrothorn

The 200 battle had a few difficulties.
It had Teeter Dance Hax and double confusion that could have been shut down by Taunt. In hindsight, Tailwind was not essential to boost Lando as Jynx would either use Blizzard next turn that would be blocked by Wide Guard or Psychic to target the fighting Type Greninja after using Mat Block on turn 1

Nonetheless both Aero and Lando suffer one round of confusion hax

Greninja uses Grass knot in anticipation that Aero might fail Wide guard while Lando fires off +2 Spread Earthquake

Next turn, I have no choice but to sack Greninja to KO Jynx and Vileplume with Durant thankfully knocking himself out due to confusion

The last three opponents then fall quickly to +2 spread EQ though Sylveon's move was a misclick and Helping Hand could have made Ferro an OHKO. Taunt is used to shut down Ferro's boosting Attempt

Most Dangerous Bat (Battle 196): FEZW-WWWW-WWWU-62VE

Crobat/Exceggutor/Dragonite/Magnezone/Braviary/Eelektross

One of two nightmare scenarios occur when Aerodactyl needs to fire off a status move

Crobat4's Taunt prevents me from shutting down a possible Trick Room from Exceggutor4 as I lose the speed tie, although he fortunately does not use that.

Exceggutor Double Trick Room was a much needed reprieve

Dragonite getting a crit Dragon Rush to KO my Landorus was severely unfortunate

Minor Misplays does occur in using EQ after Magnezone is knocked out and using King's shield when I knew that Eelektross could have knocked out Aegislash-B with +1 Flamethrower. I fail to take notice of turn order and prolong the battle by another turn or so.

Best Counters Neutralized (Battle 173): 735W-WWWW-WWWU-684L

Slowking/Milotic/Abomasnow/Beartic/Kingdra/Weavile

This battle showcases the prime usefulness of Wide Guard and how I can beat Pokemon specially sent to counter me through its use.

Looking at the first 3 pokemon, both Milotic and Abomasnow threaten with spread SE moves in Surf and Blizzard. More worrying is the presence of Slowking that can set TR

Wide guard is best guard after having to neutralize Slowking for fear of possible TR and serves as a poor man's Mat Block.

Abomosnow would pretty much spam Blizzard so that was one problem

As for milotic, while I was hoping for it to use Surf and was disappointed but not fazed that it decided to Ice Beam my Landorus. Thankfully, that was why I packed Yache Berry.

After knocking out Slowking, Kingdra comes into play. Wide Guard plus the presence of Landorus-T means that it is utterly walled by the move as it as has a strong incentive to use SE Surf or Blizzard. Having neutralized both Kingdra and Abomasnow with Wide guard, both Greninja and Landorus are free to use EQ and Grass knot to take down Milotic. Play after that gets easier though I get sloppy and forget to account for Pressure doubling Blizzard PP's usage. A misplay in setting up SD when I should have attacked results in me losing Landorus to Ice shard+ Ice punch from Weavile, though Low kick brings it down to 1 HP and needlessly prolonging the battle.

Hax Lead Lineup (Battle 145) WWDG-WWWW-WWWU-88LE

Blissey/Umbreon/Dusknoir/Florges/Latias/Gyarados

Highlighted for multiple annoting threats. Minimize Blissey, Swagger Umbreon and TR Dusknoir. Still TR can be played around but confusion hax makes everything a coin toss so I taunt the umbreon and shut it down while I go for the EQ to do some damage in case TR activates or Dusknoir burns me.

The next turn comes and the Ai deplays some surprising depth as it swaps out its crippled Umbreon for a Latias. I Taunt the Blissey to stop it from either using Double Team or spreading more Toxic, while I swap Greninja to Grass Type with Grass Knot to take a Resisted Earthquake. Meanwhile, EQ continues to wear down Both Blissey and Dusknoir, knocking the latter out. However, I lose my Lando to Toxic damage while Greninja is likewise knocked out

At this point I am free to fire off an EQ, knowing that Life Orb plus Toxic damage will knock Greninja out anyway, while Greninja fires off an Ice Beam at the Latias. Coupled with a Rock Slide from Aero, I am able to knock out all 3 pokemon. The backline of Umbreon, Gyarados and Florges come in. While Umbreon is annoying with Swagger, Gyarados becomes a monster with a few DDs. Aerodactyl then Taunts Umbreon, Tailwinds to outspeed Gyara the next turn and Rock Slide in the subsequent turns while Sylveon and Aegis tries to knock both out. The crits were fortunate but probably did not matter

Pint-sized Powerhouses of Terror(Battle 109) NZWG-WWWW-WWWU-BMT2

Vaporean/Umbreon/Jolteon/Espeon/Flareon/Glaceon/Espeon

A key weakness of my team is exploited here to see my entire front row wiped out in the first turn. Vaporean and Jolteon appear in the worst positions possible, facing off against Aerodactyl and greninja respectively. This match would have been infinitely easier if the positions of these two had been switched. But with Jolteon facing off against, Greninja, I have no safe switch in and am especially scared of eating a paralysis on top of it.

Nonethelass I misplay and get my priorities wrong. Rather than going for Wide Guard and protecting against Vaporean's moves (Shared SE weakness meant that out of the 4 most damaging moves Set 3 or 4 Vaporean could use, I would have been protected by 3 of them) as well as my own EQ, I go for a Tailwind and leave my team vulnerable. Switching in Sylveon for Greninja and eating a Thunderbolt for my troubles that pop my Balloon, it immediately faints from my Ill-timed EQ, paralysis hax not mattering in the end. Vaporean then hits with Muddy Water, criting and knocking out my Lando. While the crit did hurt as Lando could have survived with a sliver of health, it nontheless did not excuse my poor play as Umbreon would have knocked either him or Aero out the next turn. Either Way, Smart play and judicious use of Wide guard in the subsequent turns help me overcome a 5-3 lead

Misplays and unfortunate positioning sees the opponent wiping out my front row in the first turn, something that has not happened in more than 300 battles with this team

Nearly Premature Streak or Nobody Expects the Trick Room Carbink(Battle 36) GCLG-WWWW-WWWU-8NEE

Medicham/Sceptile/Carbink/Lanturn/Miltank/Armaldo

Ignorant of Carbink's possible sets and this not being a typical TR setter, I stupid use Tailwind into a Carbink Trick Room. A big dosage of hax is added onto my plate of misery as Landorus survive Medicham's Ice Punch but gets frozen for my troubles. Meanwhile I swap in syvleon to take advantage of my average speed as much as I can while Aero tries to do as much damage as possible.

Swapping in Salamence, his protect is invaluable as I stall out TR turns and lure in Attacks, giving both Aero and Sylveon free reign to knock out the opponent while watching Medicham damage himself with a missed HJK. Nonetheless, Aero quickly faints to multiple hits and Armaldo quickly KOS Greninja in TR. Sylveon puts in a lot of work with repeated hyper voices and the bulk to tank repeated hits. And Aegislash is able to knock out Medicham with a Shadow Sneak

When he reveals his Milktank and Lanturn against my frontline of Aegis, Triple M and Sylveon, I see an opportunity, firing out a helping hand boosted EQ that actually leaves Lanturn with 1 HP. ( Damage Calcs show a that an OHKO was at most a 31% chance due to the spread nature). Petaya berry activates and it Kos my Sala with Ice Beam and Milktanks delivers a devastating Dizzy Punch that dunks my sylveon back to his ball, leaving me in a 1v2 situtaion. Hoping to use King's Shield to scout a bit, it seemingly fails and I eat a SE fire punch that activates my WP. At this point, I lost all hope as I could not figure out a way to kill either of them without being knocked out by the sole survivor. Eating a Fire Punch that dropped me to 8 HP, the enemy snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory by knocking out his Miltank with surf, leaving me in a 1v1 with his 1 HP Lanturn. This was the closest I came to defeat in the entire run, a dreaded 1v1 situation.

Final Thoughts: The Core idea behind this team might not be unique, using a Turn 1 Tailwind+ Mat Block combo to give a centre Spread sweeper a free turn to set up or do damage. I do hope that however, i have added my own unique spin, exploiting the shared weaknesses of the first 3 Pokemon, using the "Lvl 1 Aron" tendency of the AI to go for SE moves and the KO and neutering that Aggression with Wide Guard.

Here's a sample list of moves that Wide Guard stops cold in the Maison:

Surf
Muddy Water
Blizzard
Icy Wind
Rock Slide
Dazzling Gleam
Explosion
Earthquake
Discharge

As can be seen, Wide Guard stops them all cold and the AI has all the incentive in the world to use all these moves with such an exposed frontline. Weaknesses become strength indeed.

TLDR: Explode on me? Go ahead, make my day

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash

Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature

- Taunt
- Rock Slide
- Wide Guard
- Tailwind

Support Aerodactyl with a few reasons for using it over Talonflame as a Tailwind user
Good show!

Cool to see your innovation of using Aerodactyl as your Tailwind setter. Wide Guard really is a great move, so it's sweet that you've found a way to fit it into your Tailwind front line. I also like how you make non-priority Tailwind more reliable by moving the Focus Sash from Greninja to Aerodactyl. Best of luck as you continue your streak!

But you know what really excites me? Aerodactyl also learns Rain Dance! On a Mega Blastoise team, the potential of turn 1 Tailwind, turn 2 Rain Dance makes me a little giddy. One has to be careful around opposing Swift Swim Pokemon and the like, but there's certainly potential. My biggest worry about Aerodactlyl on a Mega Blastoise team is opposing Trick Room. Talonflame's priority Brave Bird proves remarkably useful in mitigating the danger of Trick Room, a major threat to any Tailwind team. Taunt obviously helps with this, but Aerodactyl being on the flank means it can't help against a setter on the other side of the field, and once Trick Room is up, it seems that Aerodactyl will struggle more than does Talonflame due to the lack of priority.

The risk of having your foe outrun and OHKO Sashless-Greninja and stop Mat Block is annoying, but is hardly the end of the world, since Blastoise can just Protect on the first turn if there's a risk of Mat Block being stopped, and thanks to the weather damage boost, Protect + rain Water Spout still gives you a very strong chance of cleaning out the foe's front three on the second turn.

I'm still focused on my doubles run at the moment, but your post gets me hungry to give Triples another go at some point, though whether I try Rain Dance Aerodactyl + Mega Blastoise or my earlier suggestion of Sunny Day Talonflame + Eruption spammer remains up in the air!

Have fun, all!

Good show!

Cool to see your innovation of using Aerodactyl as your Tailwind setter. Wide Guard really is a great move, so it's sweet that you've found a way to fit it into your Tailwind front line. I also like how you make non-priority Tailwind more reliable by moving the Focus Sash from Greninja to Aerodactyl. Best of luck as you continue your streak!

But you know what really excites me? Aerodactyl also learns Rain Dance! On a Mega Blastoise team, the potential of turn 1 Tailwind, turn 2 Rain Dance makes me a little giddy. One has to be careful around opposing Swift Swim Pokemon and the like, but there's certainly potential. My biggest worry about Aerodactlyl on a Mega Blastoise team is opposing Trick Room. Talonflame's priority Brave Bird proves remarkably useful in mitigating the danger of Trick Room, a major threat to any Tailwind team. Taunt obviously helps with this, but Aerodactyl being on the flank means it can't help against a setter on the other side of the field, and once Trick Room is up, it seems that Aerodactyl will struggle more than does Talonflame due to the lack of priority.

The risk of having your foe outrun and OHKO Sashless-Greninja and stop Mat Block is annoying, but is hardly the end of the world, since Blastoise can just Protect on the first turn if there's a risk of Mat Block being stopped, and thanks to the weather damage boost, Protect + rain Water Spout still gives you a very strong chance of cleaning out the foe's front three on the second turn.

I'm still focused on my doubles run at the moment, but your post gets me hungry to give Triples another go at some point, though whether I try Rain Dance Aerodactyl + Mega Blastoise or my earlier suggestion of Sunny Day Talonflame + Eruption spammer remains up in the air!

Have fun, all!
I can attest to the Sunny Day + Eruption team I've been using in Super Triples for a while now. Here's battle #600: YH5W-WWWW-WWWU-E4ZU

I'm using a core of Talonflame as the Tailwind/Sunny Day setter and Typhlosion as the Eruption user. I run just enough speed on Typhlosion to outspeed the entire Maison, and Talonflame is 1 speed point above Typhlosion so that when it does set up Sunny Day, Eruption does more damage. I'll post the full team when I manage to hit 1000 or if I lose along the way.

Thx NoCheese for the initial theorymon some pages back : )

Last edited:

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I've been keeping track of any abilities I could identify with certainty on Pokemon with only one regular ability for 100 battles (triples) by now, which should be a reasonable sample size imo. The numbers are 52 regular abilities vs. 18 hidden abilities. It's not /entirely/ accurate because, due to zoning out, ( :s ) I occasionally missed an activation message (or lack thereof) of an ability that is triggered upon entering battle (such as Pressure from the legendary birds), but fortunately this isn't an exact science and it shouldn't significantly alter this (current) result n_n
Code:
            regular  hidden
Regirock    1         0
Regice      1         0
Registeel   1         1
Zapdos      2         0
Moltres     1         0
Tornadus    1         2
Thundurus   0         2
Weavile     2         0
Carbink     2         0
Empoleon    3         0
Metagross   1         1
Salamence   0         2
Dragonite   3         0
Tyranitar   2         2
Hippowdon   5         0
Garchomp    2         0
Ninetales   3         1
Blaziken    1         0
Greninja    1         0
Altaria     1         0
Dusknoir    2         1
Staraptor   2         0
Rampardos   1         1
Abomasnow   2         0
Ferrothorn  2         1
Aurorus     3         0
Spiritomb   1         0
Raikou      1         0
Entei       1         0
Suicune     1         2
Gyarados    3         1
Vespiquen   0         1
This list isn't exhaustive, because I didn't list any 0-0s ^^
if you notice the lack of Articuno, that's what causing it; I only ran into one iirc and missed its ability, so there ya go.

I plan to continue doing this until I reach a really solid sample size or lose (probably the latter rofl) but I don't know how much I'll be playing the upcoming time because of school and stuff and I thought this was a useful intermediate result, so here ya go.
(tl;dr: 2:1 ratio seems extremely likely)

Last edited:
I've been keeping track of any abilities I could identify with certainty on Pokemon with only one regular ability for 100 battles (triples) by now, which should be a reasonable sample size imo. The numbers are 52 regular abilities vs. 18 hidden abilities. It's not /entirely/ accurate because, due to zoning out, ( :s ) I occasionally missed an activation message (or lack thereof) of an ability that is triggered upon entering battle (such as Pressure from the legendary birds), but fortunately this isn't an exact science and it shouldn't significantly alter this (current) result n_n
Code:
            regular  hidden
Regirock    1         0
Regice      1         0
Registeel   1         1
Zapdos      2         0
Moltres     1         0
Tornadus    1         2
Thundurus   0         2
Weavile     2         0
Carbink     2         0
Empoleon    3         0
Metagross   1         1
Salamence   0         2
Dragonite   3         0
Tyranitar   2         2
Hippowdon   5         0
Garchomp    2         0
Ninetales   3         1
Blaziken    1         0
Greninja    1         0
Altaria     1         0
Dusknoir    2         1
Staraptor   2         0
Rampardos   1         1
Abomasnow   2         0
Ferrothorn  2         1
Aurorus     3         0
Spiritomb   1         0
Raikou      1         0
Entei       1         0
Suicune     1         2
Gyarados    3         1
Vespiquen   0         1
This list isn't exhaustive, because I didn't list any 0-0s ^^
if you notice the lack of Articuno, that's what causing it; I only ran into one iirc and missed its ability, so there ya go.

turskain VaporeonIce you guys expressed interest ^^
(tl;dr: 2:1 ratio seems extremely likely)
Nice! I didn't have too many abilities (I missed a LOT of them, but not in such a way that should have systematically biased the results), and I had 18 regular and 11 hidden. For stats people, I used a chi-squared test, your data differs significantly from the 1:1 ratio (p = .003), but not from the 2:1 ratio (p = .320), so it's pretty much confirmed that the ratio is 2:1.

Reporting in with a win streak of 336. Video of loss - S3CW-WWWW-WWWU-S8W8

It was a total mess and utterly avoidable loss. i went for the easy kills rather than the spread damage, trying to prevent hax rather than knocking them out as fast as possible. Lady Luck was a cruel mistress the last few turns, letting my Sylveon survive Medicham's Psycho Cut at 1 hp and causing Chandulure's Heat Wave to miss more than it should, but the last 1v1 between Aegislash and Chandy should not even have occurred in the first place.

Oh i switched out Mega-Salamence for Thundurus-Therian after about Battle 265. Set was Timid Lum Berry with Volt Switch/Dark Pulse/Grass Knot/Taunt. It worked way better than Salamence and was Greninja' almost perfect partner, eating up obvious Electric Attacks, as well as Scarf Darmanitian's Superpower and other stray Bug, Fighting, and Grass Type attacks. Shared Rock and Ice weaknesses play into Wide Guard and it learning Dark pulse gives me a TR check and cross-field sniping.

Frustrating and back to more Theorymon. At least i managed to get a decent streak without using a Mega. Now to try getting a trophy without a Mega or Legendary

So after losing my streak in Super Singles at 97 to a misclick and almost throwing my DS in frustration - I can stand it when the AI haxes me, but when I'M the one that screws up it pisses me off for days - I left to do the Contests for Lucarionite and to plan a Rotations team. I'm thinking about turning my musings into a starting guide on Rotations, as we currently lack one, but this is just rough right now.

It seems that solid Rotations teams have four members: The sweeper, the backup sweeper, the cleric, and the reserve.

The sweeper is a Pokemon that can, with one or two moves, threaten a majority of the Maison - generally, speaking, this is a Poke with Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Dragon Dance, a mega-evolver, or a combination of all of the above.

The backup is what you switch into when something has a serious advantage on your sweeper - SE moves, the only moves your sweeper has is NFE, etcetera. The most important thing is that your backup and main sweepers share no weaknesses, and preferably have type immunities that complement each other. Garchomp and Azumarill, for example, can dodge SFE hits meant for the other, as can Aegislash and Kangaskhan. Generally speaking, it should be a bulkier pokemon than your primary sweeper, but typing is the more important choice.

The cleric is the one where your choices are restricted. Ideally, you want both Heal Bell and Wish on a single Pokemon, with high HP so the wishes passed are big as possible (so, over 80 base HP is preferred here). Some ability to give offense is great, because if you're down to your cleric then you NEED to win somehow. The Pokemon that get both are few, and are sadly concentrated in Fairy/Normal with few exceptions: Vaporeon, Umbreon, Sylveon, Togekiss, Audino, Slurpuff, and Aromatisse. Borderline are Gardevoir (low HP, but can Mega, learns both, and with Hyper Voice can dish damage even uninvested), other Eeveelutions (fully invested they can pass 86-point wishes), Wigglytuff (that HP stat... but sadly, those defense stats), and Latias (no Heal Bell, but has other advantages). There are a few valid Mega Pokemon (Lopunny, Altaria, Ampharos) who learn Heal Bell, so it's also a solid 4th moveslot move to pick if you'd prefer no cleric at all.

Backup is quite possibly the most important station, because if it's coming out then shit has gone WRONG and you need this Pokemon to fix it. You want a Pokemon that's highly self-sufficient, or one that can reliably KO 2 Pokemon even if it faints itself - Destiny Bond is a great way to do this. Mega-Kanga, Suicune, Latios, Porygon2, and Dragonite are all examples of the former, and Gengar, Sharpedo (speed boost), and Cofragigus are examples of the latter. Cofragigus can ruin teams by spreading Mummy around, too, which is always fun if you're not attached to your own abilities, and is one of the rare examples in Rotation where switching a Pokemon out could NOT lose you momentum by ridding an opponent of a troubling Ability.

So, after theorymonning, what's the team I'm thinking of?

Chubby Korra @ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power, Adamant, 216 HP/252 Atk/40 Spe
Belly Drum/Aqua Jet/Ice Punch/Protect

Fairly standard at first -but Ice Punch is for Dragon/Grass that resist Aqua Jet (and might have SFE moves I don't want to take more than once), and Protect is so she can receive Wishes safely. Against opposing Water types I'd rather hit them with +6 Aqua Jets, as most of 'em won't have SFE moves anyway.

One of these two:

Ninjacoon @Lucarionite
Jolly, 4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
Swords Dance/Close Combat/Bullet Punch/Protect

Latios @ Latiosite
Hasty (it's what I got), 252 SpA/252 Spe
Ice Beam/Shockwave/Calm Mind/Protect

Really, the difference between these two in my mind comes down to Lucario having another strong priority move to pair with Aqua Jet, and Latios meeting and beating more of Azumarill's weaknesses. Shockwave on Latios is for evasion hax, but if anyone can think of a haxy Pokemon which resists it please mention it now.

Darkuntty @ Leftovers
Synchronize, Bold, 252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
Wish/Heal Bell/Protect/Foul Play

Foul Play is an OK backup for when things have gone south; other than that, typical cleric - though I might forgo Protect for Toxic or Yawn, I haven't decided yet.

That Smell @ Focus Sash
Timid, 252 SpA/252 SpE/4 Atk
Destiny Bond/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam/Psychic

Revenger, plain and simple, though I'm leaning more and more towards breeding up some Cofragigus' to put in this slot.

Any thoughts?

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just earned my Super Doubles trophy using MegaMence, LOSD Scizor, SDChomp w/ BP and Protect TTar w/ Sash. I'm moving on to Triples next and excluding Talonflame, who else should I add to the party? I was thinking of Mat Block Greninja but I intend to drop Salamence for Excadrill and run MegaBlaziken. Plus I don't think I can access the Friend Safari in ORAS. Can anyone help me with breeding abilities? I have a sub-par Greninja with Protein and I want to breed my own, fit enough for competitive battles and obviously the Battle Resort.

I'm just torn for ideas and don't want to run those uber 2000+ streak teams just to earn a trophy.

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
That Smell @ Focus Sash

Revenger, plain and simple, though I'm leaning more and more towards breeding up some Cofragigus' to put in this slot.

Any thoughts?
Your general team model is sound. Gengar, however, does not learn Ice Beam. I still much prefer it to Cofagrigus, but you'll need to rework the attacking moves. Obviously keep Destiny Bond. Stick the Atk EVs into HP or a defensive stat, too.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So after losing my streak in Super Singles at 97 to a misclick and almost throwing my DS in frustration - I can stand it when the AI haxes me, but when I'M the one that screws up it pisses me off for days - I left to do the Contests for Lucarionite and to plan a Rotations team. I'm thinking about turning my musings into a starting guide on Rotations, as we currently lack one, but this is just rough right now.

It seems that solid Rotations teams have four members: The sweeper, the backup sweeper, the cleric, and the reserve.

The sweeper is a Pokemon that can, with one or two moves, threaten a majority of the Maison - generally, speaking, this is a Poke with Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Dragon Dance, a mega-evolver, or a combination of all of the above.

The backup is what you switch into when something has a serious advantage on your sweeper - SE moves, the only moves your sweeper has is NFE, etcetera. The most important thing is that your backup and main sweepers share no weaknesses, and preferably have type immunities that complement each other. Garchomp and Azumarill, for example, can dodge SFE hits meant for the other, as can Aegislash and Kangaskhan. Generally speaking, it should be a bulkier pokemon than your primary sweeper, but typing is the more important choice.

The cleric is the one where your choices are restricted. Ideally, you want both Heal Bell and Wish on a single Pokemon, with high HP so the wishes passed are big as possible (so, over 80 base HP is preferred here). Some ability to give offense is great, because if you're down to your cleric then you NEED to win somehow. The Pokemon that get both are few, and are sadly concentrated in Fairy/Normal with few exceptions: Vaporeon, Umbreon, Sylveon, Togekiss, Audino, Slurpuff, and Aromatisse. Borderline are Gardevoir (low HP, but can Mega, learns both, and with Hyper Voice can dish damage even uninvested), other Eeveelutions (fully invested they can pass 86-point wishes), Wigglytuff (that HP stat... but sadly, those defense stats), and Latias (no Heal Bell, but has other advantages). There are a few valid Mega Pokemon (Lopunny, Altaria, Ampharos) who learn Heal Bell, so it's also a solid 4th moveslot move to pick if you'd prefer no cleric at all.

Backup is quite possibly the most important station, because if it's coming out then shit has gone WRONG and you need this Pokemon to fix it. You want a Pokemon that's highly self-sufficient, or one that can reliably KO 2 Pokemon even if it faints itself - Destiny Bond is a great way to do this. Mega-Kanga, Suicune, Latios, Porygon2, and Dragonite are all examples of the former, and Gengar, Sharpedo (speed boost), and Cofragigus are examples of the latter. Cofragigus can ruin teams by spreading Mummy around, too, which is always fun if you're not attached to your own abilities, and is one of the rare examples in Rotation where switching a Pokemon out could NOT lose you momentum by ridding an opponent of a troubling Ability.

So, after theorymonning, what's the team I'm thinking of?

Chubby Korra @ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power, Adamant, 216 HP/252 Atk/40 Spe
Belly Drum/Aqua Jet/Ice Punch/Protect

Fairly standard at first -but Ice Punch is for Dragon/Grass that resist Aqua Jet (and might have SFE moves I don't want to take more than once), and Protect is so she can receive Wishes safely. Against opposing Water types I'd rather hit them with +6 Aqua Jets, as most of 'em won't have SFE moves anyway.

One of these two:

Ninjacoon @Lucarionite
Jolly, 4 Hp/252 Atk/252 Spe
Swords Dance/Close Combat/Bullet Punch/Protect

Latios @ Latiosite
Hasty (it's what I got), 252 SpA/252 Spe
Ice Beam/Shockwave/Calm Mind/Protect

Really, the difference between these two in my mind comes down to Lucario having another strong priority move to pair with Aqua Jet, and Latios meeting and beating more of Azumarill's weaknesses. Shockwave on Latios is for evasion hax, but if anyone can think of a haxy Pokemon which resists it please mention it now.

Darkuntty @ Leftovers
Synchronize, Bold, 252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD
Wish/Heal Bell/Protect/Foul Play

Foul Play is an OK backup for when things have gone south; other than that, typical cleric - though I might forgo Protect for Toxic or Yawn, I haven't decided yet.

That Smell @ Focus Sash

Any thoughts?
Supporting a set-up sweeper or two with a cleric or screens is one way to go about it, but there are other options. Substitute stall is the best general strategy in Rotations in my opinion, and the top three teams on the leaderboard all utilize it to some extent: my team uses Klefki and Dragonite in the front row with Substitute spam as the main strategy, and VaporeonIce's and CarlMcQ's teams utilize Gliscor and Zapdos, respectively, in the backup position.

Rotations is a weird format and outside Klefki, I haven't played it much. Destiny Bond, clerics, dual screens, Substitute, one-click sweepers, and bulky stallers both with and without Substitute could all be viable - though I swear by putting Substitute on everything, obviously.

While I'm posting, I've briefly floated a Klefki variant that utilizes Mega Slowbro:

Klefki @ Leftovers — Substitute / Protect / Light Screen / Reflect/T-Wave/Foul Play/Safeguard
Slowbro @ Slowbronite — Calm Mind / Iron Defense / Scald / Rest
Dragonite @ Lum Berry — Outrage / Substitute / Dragon Dance / Roost
Gliscor/Gengar/anything for the back-up

Klefki opts for Light Screen over Calm Mind to allow Mega Slowbro to set up Calm Minds under screens while being immune to crits. It looks worse than Klefki/Gengar/Dragonite/Megakhan on paper since Klefki already beats everything with support and can just sweep with Calm Mind on its own, making Mega Slowbro somewhat redundant, but it's the best I've come up with to utilize a Mega Slowbro with screen support. Leading with two relatively passive mons in Klefki and Slowbro is also huge Taunt bait, which could be a problem, though Oblivious might help slightly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)