The Smogon University "University" Thread

Lol, If I have meet any of you before......

Graduated last month, got my B.S in Chemistry (I found surprising the lot of chemist on smogon). I really slacked off a lot and always passed my courses with close to little efforts. I wish I can say that something I want was my wake-up call but no, it was a girl.

Long story short, I realized that I was capable of more and at halfway I decided that I WILL got it. So I decided to get more than good grades to achieve a scholarship in some ranked University. Sadly, was to late for me, my GPA is 1.2 point lower than the minimal 80/100 required to get in nice college.

I want to get a Ph.D in Physical chemistry (or Material Science), I actually looking for ANY college that accept me. Japan is my 1st option right now with germany in a close second place, I've will start sending applications even to the smallest college, I'm not getting younger and some Ph.D. programs have a 30 years old limit to applicants.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Sigh... I really wish I can find an appropriate distant learning course in biology.
Hopefully from a not-too-shabby university.
I'm open to universities from English speaking countries, but will prefer British Commonwealth countries (because the courses are more similar, and easier to transfer my current credits.)

I'm just too weak to travel to a physical university lecture, it's making everything so difficult (whilst what's been taught isn't that difficult)

Sigh... I really wish I can find an appropriate distant learning course in biology.
Hopefully from a not-too-shabby university.
I'm open to universities from English speaking countries, but will prefer British Commonwealth countries (because the courses are more similar, and easier to transfer my current credits.)

I'm just too weak to travel to a physical university lecture, it's making everything so difficult (whilst what's been taught isn't that difficult)
What country are you in now?

I'm not across the distance education options in Aus, but most of the schools have a decent Bio program. I know Charles Sturt has a big distance education program, and Macquarie might as well.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
What country are you in now?

I'm not across the distance education options in Aus, but most of the schools have a decent Bio program. I know Charles Sturt has a big distance education program, and Macquarie might as well.
I'm from Hong Kong. (British Commonwealth education system)

EDIT: Wow! Charles Sturt has so many interesting subjects!
Thanks!

uragg

Walking the streets with you in your worn-out jeans
is a Contributor Alumnus
third year chemE major/CS minor at uc berkeley trying to avoid studying for finals T_T

damn lot of UMD people here, I went to hs in maryland so basically everyone i know from hs goes there lol

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I recently finished my first semester at Tompkins Cortland Community College. Ended up getting a GPA of 3.87, with my lowest grade being an A-. I am ever so slightly disappointed that I wasn't able to get a 4.0 GPA because I'm a crazy perfectionist like that, but thankfully I managed to fulfill my English requirements in one semester, so next semester is going to have a heavy focus on math and science, which I'm a lot better at!

I plan on majoring in Physics, as understanding the mechanics of the Universe is my passion! Also, hopfully I will be able to transfer to Cornell after I'm done with TC3.

EDIT: I should also probably mention, Im taking 3 summer courses as well. One math one, and two physics ones. Due to my odd school history (I was forced to get a GED due to health issues), I gotta take a ton of math courses. I don't totally mind though, its a roadblock timewise, but I fucking love math so its cool =)

Last edited:

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Freshman at the University of Texas, majoring in film, which is simultaneously the coolest and laziest major of all time. Pretty much paradise for a cinephile like myself. My only complaint is that campus is fucking massive; 10 minutes is considered a short walk :/

SteelEdges

Banned deucer.
I didn't really care about grade school while I was there due to some traumatic experiences, and I ended up going to a community college for a year then transferring to Western Kentucky University, where I never really settled on my major and withdrew due to some mental health issues (I'm actually on disability at the moment because of these issues). Part of my problem is that I'm genuinely interested in many fields - history, English/creative writing, religious studies, sociology, philosophy, anthropology, journalism tend to be what I debate about when I work out what major I should pick (side note: WKU's journalism program is top-notch, so that is an influencing factor). One major problem I have is dyscalculia, which means I can't process math beyond an elementary school level. So that narrows a lot of what I can study, and it's pretty irritating that science is basically cut off for me.

I'm probably going back to WKU soon - though I would really prefer going to a top-tier university, it's simply not an option with my disabilities - but I have no clue what I want to do, what I want to study, or even if if it's worth it. The uncertainty scares the shit out of me. I don't want to live with my family in a small town all my life, so college is the way out, right?

I am technically starting my sophomore year at the University of Iowa on Tuesday, although this is going to be my second semester (yay for taking a ton of APs and starting college with more than a semester of credit already!)

Anyways, I'm studying Biology, and that pretty much sums up my college experience so far.

I didn't really care about grade school while I was there due to some traumatic experiences, and I ended up going to a community college for a year then transferring to Western Kentucky University, where I never really settled on my major and withdrew due to some mental health issues (I'm actually on disability at the moment because of these issues). Part of my problem is that I'm genuinely interested in many fields - history, English/creative writing, religious studies, sociology, philosophy, anthropology, journalism tend to be what I debate about when I work out what major I should pick (side note: WKU's journalism program is top-notch, so that is an influencing factor). One major problem I have is dyscalculia, which means I can't process math beyond an elementary school level. So that narrows a lot of what I can study, and it's pretty irritating that science is basically cut off for me.

I'm probably going back to WKU soon - though I would really prefer going to a top-tier university, it's simply not an option with my disabilities - but I have no clue what I want to do, what I want to study, or even if if it's worth it. The uncertainty scares the shit out of me. I don't want to live with my family in a small town all my life, so college is the way out, right?
WVU is better than nothing you can always do well and try and transfer. Even with mental health problems you might be able to talk to the school to get people to help you. I see a therapist once a week because of my anxiety.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
Freshman at the University of Texas, majoring in film, which is simultaneously the coolest and laziest major of all time. Pretty much paradise for a cinephile like myself. My only complaint is that campus is fucking massive; 10 minutes is considered a short walk :/
Welcome to UT! I'm sticking around for a PHD there after getting a BS in Aerospace Engineering. On the plus side, all that walking up and down hills keeps that infamous "Freshman 15" away.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)