VGC Mega gallade! My first Vgc team!

Hey guys, so ive always liked mega gallade as a pokemon and now that he has a mega was dying to build a team around him and make it work. I know the team is kinda klunky but i would really appreciate any and all advice from you guys, i really want to make a great team and have fun. Thanks in advance and heres the team:

@ Galladite

Ability: Justified/Inner Focus
Evs: 140 hp/ 252 Attk/ 116
Adament nature
-Drain Punch
-Knock Off
-Zen Headbutt
-Protect

Ev spread is to help provide some bulk while still hitting hard and being able to out speed base 80 pokemons such as mamoswine and the like. Drain punch for reliable recovery after some hurtin, knock off because every fighting type loves a way of getting back at those psychic ( besides not having any other dark coverage in the team) and zen headbutt for another STAB with a flinch hacks. Ice punch was an option here as was leaf blade of course, decided for knock off because i have mamoswine for the ice coverage. As for leaf blade, didnt think i'd need it as much.

Aegislash @ Weakness policy
Ability: Stance change
Evs: 252 hp/252 Spattk/4 def
Quiet Nature
-Wide gaurd
-Kings shield
-shadow ball
-flash cannon

Pretty standard aegislash set, max hp evs and special attack to increase longetivity and hit back hard. Wide gaurd is a must now-a-days especially with heat wave and equake/rock slide being so rampant nearly every game. Aegislash is pretty much here to try and be my main fairy counter agaisnt such threats at sylveon.

-wash @ sitrus berry

Ability: levitate
Evs: 252 hp/252 Sp attk/4 def
Modest Nature
-Thunderbolt
-Hydro pump
-protect
-willowisp

Also a standish rotom set, really want to use him as a modest nature, but im not too sure about his ev spread. im sure theres a better one i just havent been able to find one with modest nature. Used to have a calm rotom spread before that would survive charizard Y solarbeams and the like but i feel like a modest approach is better in the current meta due to the increase in lando's and talonflames running around. 252 sp attack allows for a 93.8% chance to OHKO a lando. Moves are the usual, decided thunderbolt over volt switch here. Could use some input on the spread. Ty

talonflame @ life orb
Ability: Gale winds
Evs: 252 attk/252 speed/4 hp
Adament Nature
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-Taunt ( could be tailwind )
-Protect

Went for talonflame as my 4th move slot to help with some flying and fire coverage. Max speed evs to tie with the other talons roaming around. Brave bird and flare blitz are pretty staple, added taunt as a countermeasure to trick room teams and the super annoying smeargle. Also decided life orb over choice band, used to run choice band before but ive found life orb to be more manageble especially with move slot options.

@ choice scarf

Ability: Thick Fat
Evs: 252 speed/252 attack/4hp
Jolly Nature ( was adament )
-Icicle crash
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake
-ice shard

Decided on mamoswine because my team has no other ice coverage, thought about putting ice punch on gallade but then i'd have no dark coverage. Guess its a kinda either or situation, and picked him due to his priority ice shards. Opted for max attack and speed evs since he has a focus sash anyways, didnt think it'd be that wise to invent in defensive evs there. Ice shard for priority OHKO on salamence/garchomp, rock slide and earthquake for extra coverage on chrizard Y and talonflame.

@ Assault vest ( could use a replacement here, perhaps )

Ability: Competitive

Evs: 4 HP / 188 Def / 236 SAtk / 12 SDef / 68 Spd
Modest Nature
-Dazzling gleam
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Hyper Beam

Really wanted a counter to the millions of intimidates that are running rampant all around vgc and one that also resists dark as my team needed that dark resistance. And i managed to find ray's wigglytuff set/spread and gotta say it works pretty decent itself.
Those speed evs let it outspeed mawhile, the defenseive evs so it can better resist such pokemon as garchomp and lando's. And assault vest for that special bulk to increase survivability. Moveset provides decent coverage, i had hyper voice in there but not too sure about that one.

Well thats the team! Tryed to cover as many of their weaknesses and resistances using magma team builder and pokemon showdown for move coverage. Would really really appreciate any and all feedback to help improve. Any and all criticism is welcome and no doubt helpful! Thanks in advance guys and have a good day

Last edited:

Pent

dumb broad
Please make sure to read the RMT Rules before making a post.
You need a brief 3-4 lines describing each of your Pokemon in detail.
If these rules are NOT followed, this post will almost be guaranteed to get locked.
Until then, I will not rate your team at my own choice. If you do change it, I will rate. it.

Thanks. :]

Not too sure about focus sash on mamo as without a life orb its kind of hard for him to 1 shot salamences running around. And even on garchomp depending on his spread is not always assured. but seeing as how you already have a life orb on talon flame not too sure. Perhaps an expert belt?

What do you other guys think about this situation?

Last edited:
Not too sure about focus sash on mamo as without a life orb its kind of hard for him to 1 shot salamences running around. And even on garchomp depending on his spread is not always assured. but seeing as how you already have a life orb on talon flame not too sure. Perhaps an expert belt?

In this kind of situations, Scarf Mamoswine is the only thing that comes to mind. Icicle Spear>Ice Shard on Scarf Mamo due to the fact that you want to hit as hard as possible, and you're already pretty damn fast.

Ok, first of all, why did you choose Drain Punch over Close Combat? I'm pretty sure Close Combat could make the difference between winning or losing(As Mega Gallade is one of the best Kangaskhan's counters out there). Also, is Wigglytuff working for you? If not, you should replace it inmediatly as it will give you dead weight on your team. Also, in my own opinion Hyper Voice>Thunderbolt as normal type is better coverage than Electric type, and there aren't many things in VGC weak to Electric anyways. Taunt on Talonflame is actually a good idea, as it checks most TR users out there. That's everything, keep the good work n_n.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus

Know what's even better than Sash? Scarf!

Check it out.
252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 444-528 (133.7 - 159%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even intimidated, it has a chance to OHKO.
-1 252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 300-352 (90.3 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

And with Lando, it always OHKOs even with intimidated.
-1 252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 44 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 216-256 (127 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With Jolly it'll outspeed Mences with 252 Speed and a speed boosting nature, and most people run Adamant Scarf Landos.

I guess the main downside is the miss chance on Icicle Crash, but I reckon it's definitely something to consider. Scarf Mamo is strong and a force to be reckoned with, for sure. Especially since a lot of your team has rather middling speed with no speed control. (Use Tailwind on Talon, I suggest)

Last edited:
Ok, first of all, why did you choose Drain Punch over Close Combat? I'm pretty sure Close Combat could make the difference between winning or losing(As Mega Gallade is one of the best Kangaskhan's counters out there). Also, is Wigglytuff working for you? If not, you should replace it inmediatly as it will give you dead weight on your team. Also, in my own opinion Hyper Voice>Thunderbolt as normal type is better coverage than Electric type, and there aren't many things in VGC weak to Electric anyways. Taunt on Talonflame is actually a good idea, as it checks most TR users out there. That's everything, keep the good work n_n.
I had wanted a Stab move on gallade with no down side to it and reliable recovery, which was drain punch. The down side of it is the lack of power it has compared to close combat. Going to switch to up for close combat instead as you suggested, really want that kangaskhan 1 shot which drain doesnt always do.

LOL wigglytuff is honestly just been like there, i use it sometimes just for the intimidate counter but honestly someone else could prob fit his spot somewhat better. Whom would you suggest? Maybe someone who could provide tailwind support as i kind want to keep taunt on talonflame.

Know what's even better than Sash? Scarf!

Check it out.
252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 444-528 (133.7 - 159%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Even intimidated, it has a chance to OHKO.
-1 252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 300-352 (90.3 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

And with Lando, it always OHKOs even with intimidated.
-1 252 Atk Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. 44 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 216-256 (127 - 150.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

With Jolly it'll outspeed Mences with 252 Speed and a speed boosting nature, and most people run Adamant Scarf Landos.

I guess the main downside is the miss chance on Icicle Crash, but I reckon it's definitely something to consider. Scarf Mamo is strong and a force to be reckoned with, for sure. Especially since a lot of your team has rather middling speed with no speed control. (Use Tailwind on Talon, I suggest)
Yeah your right, i myself was playing around in the calculator now and see what you mean. Jolly mamo with icicle crash is definetly a strong force and destroys those that i want it to such as the mence and lando youve mentioned. Ice shard honestly just wasnt really making the cut as it's solo ice type move lol. Thank you for your input! Its highly appreciated :D

Last edited:
That's a good mamoswine build that he suggested I tried it out myself and it works great!

As for wiggly replacement what do you guys think about Sylveon?

Glad your enjoying that mamo build!
Sylveon looks like a good addition but was honestly looking for an addition that might be an intimidate counter.

Just a lil bump here. Thanks in advance just looking for some last minute rates

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)