Research Week ORAS Edition [Week 5] - Won by Clarion Valenheart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
shout-out to my Mazz for being the OG-OP
Hello, Underused!

Professor Kink here to present to you Week 5 of the ORAS edition of Research Week!

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Week:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but the week will end on Sunday.
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after this period. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also get put in the UU Hall of Fame. Don't forget, participation in projects like Research Week help towards earning the Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the Pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW Pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a Pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it. How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu and the Viability Ranking Thread as well.

This Week's ORAS Selection
Serperior
Ability: Contrary
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Mawile
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

Mega Audino
Ability:
Evs:
Nature
-
-
-
-

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us
  • The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends.
  • Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame
  • PLEASE post your updated rank with your updated analysis ON SUNDAY

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Alt: Dorkus Prime

Pokemon: Serp, Mawile.

Pastebin

1. Serperior @ Life Orb
  2. Ability: Contrary
  3. Shiny: Yes
  4. EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
  5. Timid Nature
  6. - Leaf Storm
  7. - Dragon Pulse
  8. - Synthesis
  9. - Hidden Power [Ice]

10. Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
  11. Ability: Mold Breaker
  12. EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
  13. Modest Nature
  14. - Dragon Pulse
  15. - Thunderbolt
  16. - Volt Switch
  17. - Heal Bell

18. Vaporeon @ Leftovers
  19. Ability: Water Absorb
  20. EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
  21. Calm Nature
  22. IVs: 0 Atk
  23. - Wish
  24. - Protect
  25. - Ice Beam
  26. - Scald

27. Gligar @ Eviolite
  28. Ability: Hyper Cutter
  29. EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
  30. Careful Impish
  31. - Defog
  32. - Roost
  33. - U-turn
  34. - Earthquake

35. Mawile @ Life Orb
  36. Ability: Sheer Force
  37. Shiny: Yes
  38. EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
  39. Adamant Nature
  40. - Play Rough
  41. - Fire Fang
  42. - Crunch
  43. - Iron Head

44. Machamp @ Choice Band
  45. Ability: No Guard
  46. EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
  47. Adamant Nature
  48. - Dynamic Punch
  49. - Knock Off
  50. - Earthquake
  51. - Heavy Slam

Last edited:
Yo ! So i'll start with my firsts impressions on Serperior .
I do think that he is a solid pokemon in UU , he does well against Offenses/Balanced team thank to his high speed/high boost for LeafStorm . His movepool is poor to be honest , but he has access to Glare , which is a great move in my opinion , to deal with threats like Crobat/Chandelure/Jirachi/Scarfers . The next they will come in , you'll probably win the 1on1 after on LeafStorm.
I think he might be a solid wallbreaker but i need to test him against a StallTeam to confirm.
Anyway this is a replay where you can see this scenario:

I bring Serperior in .
I sub , he brings Jirachi@Scarf.
He uses IronHead , break the sub , i use Glare.
Then win the 1on1 against Jirachi .

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-202147684

Yo ! So i'll start with my firsts impressions on Serperior .
I do think that he is a solid pokemon in UU , he does well against Offenses/Balanced team thank to his high speed/high boost for LeafStorm . His movepool is poor to be honest , but he has access to Glare , which is a great move in my opinion , to deal with threats like Crobat/Chandelure/Jirachi/Scarfers . The next they will come in , you'll probably win the 1on1 after on LeafStorm.
I think he might be a solid wallbreaker but i need to test him against a StallTeam to confirm.
Anyway this is a replay where you can see this scenario:

I bring Serperior in .
I sub , he brings Jirachi@Scarf.
He uses IronHead , break the sub , i use Glare.
Then win the 1on1 against Jirachi .

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/uu-202147684

My only problem with that would be that glare has already become the most common set (from my point of view) keep in mind people may already be expecting it!

In
Alt: Dr Waiv

everyone is picking sceptile so
AUDINO-MEGA for me

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202865402

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-203557649

Last edited:
Thoughts so far (because I've been procrastinating finishing my team and only have been laddering the last 90 minutes or so): Contrary is an INSANELY POWERFUL Ability. Haven't gotten out of the lower ladder too much (so much fucking Sticky Web), but if and when Serperior gets in, it does horrible things to innocent people. I like it.

To wit: Serperior DOES have a shitty base 75 Special Attack, but being able to quickly boost up to +6 and keep firing off a BP 130 STAB attack makes up for that in bunches. I remember waaay back in BW Dream World Pokemon Online ladder (or maybe Showdown, I don't remember exactly) running into a bulky Serperior that ruined. Unfortunately, I'm bad at that sort of thing (usually I just hit certain speed tiers if I'm not maxing out and call it good), so someone else will have to come up with that set, but plain ol' 252/252+ Serperior is pretty terrifying.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so after a couple days with my team (I had my team made before I decided to sign up for Research Week) I have decided that Serperior is a really cool mon in UU. I want to showcase the team as a whole because I feel Serperior only shines really well with team support.

Serperior: This mon doesn't look good on paper with 75 offenses and 95 defenses. It's ultimate saving grace is its ability: Contrary. Contrary allows it to freely spam a 130 STAB move in Leaf Storm whilst also gathering a Nasty Plot boost to bolster Serperior's offensive capabilities. My set that I used with this team was Meadow Plate with Leaf Storm, HP Fire, Dragon Pulse, and Glare. Glare has its uses to nail common switch ins such as Crobat, Mega-Pidgeot, and so on. However, many good players know this and try to sac something to safely bring in these faster mons. Nonetheless, Serperior is a great semi-win con if it can gather the boosts and be able to OHKO the opponent's mon. Overall I truly believe that without Contrary, Serperior would have no use in UU but with Contrary, it has become a threat to many Bulky Waters in the tier and pressures the team as it can freely spam Leaf Storm and gather a +2 if something switches in to take the Leaf Storm.

Pangoro: Pangoro has been rising in popularity as its SD set and its Band set have been shown to decimate stall, break walls, or gather momentum via Parting Shot very easily. I decided to run SD Lum with Drain Punch, Knock Off, and Gunk Shot as it is the most effective set imo. Pangoro is really cool too as it is a better Scrafty and Champ in that it has better STABs / coverage than Champ with the awesome typing of Scrafty. This was the main win con of the team as it completely wrecks any non-HO team.

Nidoqueen: Nidoqueen shines just like she always does. She was my Rocker for the team and she can do it consistently thanks to Sheer Force negating Life Orb recoil and the nice resistances her typing gives. Her set was Life Orb with Sludge Wave, Earth Power, Ice Beam, and Stealth Rock. So far, Queen to be a dominant and bulky threat s she continues to be a dominant and bulky threat and her STABs + coverage threatens a lot of UU mons such as Florges, Rachi, and Hydreigon.

Blastoise-Mega: Mega Blastoise is the spinner for the team to make sure hazards stay away as this team lacks recovery of any sorts so it can be easily worn down by status or hazards. Mega Blastoise also provides the team with a Fire resist, which helps out Serperior tremendously. I also speed creeped the standard Nidoqueen spread like I always do and dumped the rest of the EVs into bulk after maxing out SpA.

Rotom-Heat: Rotom-H is an amazing mon as it can consistently check Mega-Pidgeot and Flying- types in general, which are a major thorn in Serperior's side. I decided the Defensive set, which consisted of Leftovers with Volt Switch, Overheat, Thunder Wave, and Pain Split, was the best for this team to give me a reliable switch in as Rotom-H has a ton of resistances and an immunity to take advantage of. It also provides the team a mon that can switch into predicted Will-O-Wisps and Thunder Waves as neither of these statuses affect it.

Jirachi: This mon is everywhere in UU. And I am using its most abusive set: the dreaded Choice Scarf set. I noticed the team lacked a reliable fast mon to check other fast mons so I decided to use the most haxy mon in UU so I have a reliable way to revenge kill mons ;) This mon is not only an annoyance but it can usually tank a SE hit and be able to switch out via U-turn to give the team momentum and/or wear down the opponent's team in general.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-203202405 - In this replay, Serperior didn't get to shine as it missed 2 Leaf Storms but this team almost screwed me over as it was a Trick Room team and I wasn't prepared for it. I ended up winning thanks to Pangoro and its STAB moves, lol.

More to come

Big Root (Serperior) (F) @ Meadow Plate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
- Dragon Pulse

Dark Gem (Pangoro) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 104 HP / 252 Atk / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance

Eject Button (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SpA / 136 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Blue Orb (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 136 HP / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin

Heat Rock (Rotom-Heat) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Spell Tag (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Healing Wish
- Trick

Last edited:
Hey ! Back in the thread to share with you my week experience in this post .
In my previous post , i explained why i picked Serperior . An to be honest , i don't think Serperior needs that much support to do some work. His grass type allow him to come and set-up on common water threats , and in the current metagame , water mons are common so. You'll almost always have a chance to set-up with him in a battle. But yeah his problem is that common threats like Jirachi/Crobat/Entei and mons like that , can stop Serperior in his sweep. But yeah , a team can deal with these threats easily i think , you don't have to build something "special" to make Serperior works. It doesn't mean that you can put Serperior on every team , but he doesn't need great level of support from his mates. You just need to check/lure his threats.

Serperior (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Glare
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide

Steelix-Mega (M) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 4 SpA / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Scald
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rapid Spin

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy
- Psychic

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower

I'll be short on this part :
  • Serperior needs a check to Crobat/Jirachi on his team , Steelix is here for that.
  • Serperior like U-Turn users , he can come safely on the field and set-up , Darma lures in water mons , he uses U-Turn on them , and then i send Serperior to try set-up or glare a threat.
  • Hydreigon can weaken SpD walls , so the sweep is easier for Serperior.
  • Florges is here to keep his mates healthy , SubSerperior like this.
  • Psychic on Florges wtf ? If he is paralysed , Crobat comes in and dies. 0 SpA Florges Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 170-202 (45.5 - 54.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery.

To conclude i would say that to make Serperior works on your team you need:
  • A way to deal with Crobat , Chandelure , Steels mon.
  • You may use Volt-Turn to safely bring Serperior on the field.
  • A way to deal with SpD walls like Blissey/Snorlax.

Last edited:
My Research Week Analysis
  • Pokemon Used

Audino @ Audinite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• My team
    Audino @ Audinite
    EVs: 136 HP / 252 Def / 120 Spe
    Bold Nature
    - Calm Mind
    - Dazzling Gleam
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk

Doublade @ Eviolite
    Ability: No Guard
    EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
    Brave Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Gyro Ball
    - Sacred Sword
    - Shadow Sneak

Swampert @ Choice Band
    Ability: Torrent
    EVs: 204 HP / 252 Atk / 52 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Waterfall
    - Ice Punch
    - Superpower

Celebi @ Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 76 HP / 252 SpA / 180 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Giga Drain
    - Psychic
    - Recover

Crobat
    Ability: Infiltrator
    EVs: 248 HP / 80 Atk / 180 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Acrobatics
    - U-turn
    - Roost
    - Defog

Darmanitan @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Rock Slide
    - Superpower
    - U-turn
  • Week experience with Mega-Audino
    So I didn't particularly like Mega-Audino (at least using crodino). So I chose to use a set similar in funtion to crocune with Mega-Audino being a pretty solid win-con after a team was worn down late-game. It didn't really work out as planned though and I felt as if Audino was kind of dead-weight on my team, I think suicune is a much better user of this set simply for lefties recovery which I found huge. All in all, I really didn't enjoy using this mon and I think the cleric/wall set that Clarion Valonheart used was much better.
  • Replays
  • PS Peak Rank

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
I didn't have as much time as I would have liked with Research Week this week, but I'm sure the hype around serperior sums up how well this week went for not just us who participate, but the overall commUUnity. The Pokemon I picked were Serp and Mawile, and the team will be posted below. Since I didn't have much time this week, I won't be posting much, but like always I'll try to put out my best thoughts on the pokemon.

The Team
Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Scald

Mawile @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Fire Fang
- Crunch
- Iron Head

Machamp @ Choice Band
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Swampert @ Swampertite
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rain Dance
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch

I made a lot of changes with this team throughout the week, But the above paste is what I decided with in the end.

For now, I'll be posting some replays. When I get back to my computer in a bit, I'll be going more in depth with my experience with Mawile and Serp.

Vs Kyla's Nightmare http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201660889

Vs Simone 34 http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202124518

Ladder Match http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202379480

Ladder match http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201263405

Against Trevor Ellis http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201433911

VS LiberalLucario(UUST Match) http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-201475492

And Finally, VS CoolStoryBrobat. http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-202607638

First, Let's cover Mawile, Seeing as she's no where near as viable in the UU metagame as Serp, and Serp has a bit more to focus on.

My Favorite part about Mawile, Is her ability to play a decent Offensive or Defensive role, Having Intimidate and Sheer Force as abilities makes her a risky poke to try anticipate. However, I figured Sheer Force life orb would fit her best.

My overall plan with Mawile was to have a pokemon that could act as great bait and fodder. With Amph, it was nice to bait out their Dragons, then swap into Mawile. I don't see Mawile as much more then a sneaky pivot at best. She hits like a truck and can catch people off guard very easily. I'll provide some Damage Calculations below to demonstrate her potential.

VS Forrtress
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile Fire Fang vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Forretress: 296-354 (83.8 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

VS Jirachi
252+ Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Mawile Fire Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 200-237 (58.6 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Jirachi Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 40 Def Mawile: 120-142 (39.4 - 46.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

VS Alakazam
252+ Atk Life Orb Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 351-413 (139.2 - 163.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now, I'm going to be honest here and say if I had a Penny for Everytime Mawile was OHKO'd by Earth Power, I'd be rich. I don't even think it's worth putting into the Calc to show how Fragile Mawile is.

I'll wrap up the rest of this tomorrow morning. Enjoy the last few hours of Mawile bait, guys.[/hide]

Last edited:

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus

Hello, guys~ =)

Audino @ Audinite
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam

The Pokemon I chose for this week's research is Mega Audino. Although people would consider Mega Audino being too unappealing due to its ability being Healer upon Mega Evolution (its base form has Regenerator), the addition of its Fairy typing allows her to be one of the hard counters to some Dragons, especially Hydreigon. Unlike Florges, its Normal typing allows it to sponge Ghost-type attacks as well. Talk about two immunities and a significant host of resistances, plus its neutrality to Fighting attacks!

Well, that's my overall perspective on Mega Audino. The set above will reveal specifically how it works for my team. Inspired after a player from Pokemon Online using this identical set with Meloetta last generation (BW2 UU), this set can serve as the cleric to the team, as status is one big pain in the ass for my team, most especially Paralysis on Hydreigon and (Toxic) Poison on Rotom-Heat and Chesnaught. Because of Rest and Sleep Talk, Mega Audino granted a huge staying power to the team, sponging almost all attacks all day, as coupled with 103/126/126 base defenses. Although Mega Audino has Wish, the lack of Regenerator would be detrimental once it switches in on numerous hazards, given Empoleon (in this team) cannot handle these hazards on certain conditions, but my team is self-sufficient that Wish Support is not that necessary.

THIS. POKEMON. NEVER. DIES (even on the physical side, really, discounting Super-effective ones).

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- U-turn

Audino @ Audinite
EVs: 216 HP / 40 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Heal Bell
- Dazzling Gleam​

Empoleon @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 208 HP / 48 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- Wood Hammer

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- Trick
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Doublade @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Atk / 56 Def / 136 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Gyro Ball
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Looking for some replays? Try finding it within this post.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Winner of this week is Clarion Valenheart with a score of 1495. Remember to update your ranks along with your ranks; I double check these anyways, but it speeds up the process.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)