NU Kecleon

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Before I begin, let's all take a moment to appreciate Kecleon's sprite animation from Pokemon XD GoD:

[fsr ever since i played xdgod as a kid, i can never get that image of head twitching out of my mind.. it haunts me to this day x_x]

Overview
########

With access to the amazing ability Protean and a diverse attacking movepool, Kecleon is a very scary Pokemon in NU. Somewhat reliable recovery in the form of Drain Punch, a very high Special Defense stat that allows it to survive some powerful attacks without any investment, and access to multiple forms of priority, which somewhat makes up for its rather poor Speed stat make Kecleon a formidable threat. However, its lackluster base 90 Attack often leaves it just short of KOing the opponent's Pokemon, and Kecleon is also very slow for an attacking Pokemon, meaning it often has to take a hit before getting to attack, and with its low Defense, it is very vulnerable to getting revenge killed.

kek
########
name: kek
move 1: Knock Off
move 2: Drain Punch
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Shadow Sneak / Fake Out / Stealth Rock
ability: Protean
item: Life Orb
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Knock Off is the most powerful move on this set, and also removes items, potentially crippling foes for the rest of the battle. Knock Off is also very useful to remove Leftovers from potential counters, making them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match. Drain Punch is excellent coverage alongside Knock Off, as it's Kecleon's best bet for hitting Steel-types such as Ferroseed and Probopass while granting Kecleon recovery. Sucker Punch is Kecleon's strongest form of priority, and it hits frail, fast attackers such as Archeops or Typhlosion extremely hard. Shadow Sneak gives Kecleon a second form of priority which it can use to become Ghost-type and thus play around Fighting-type attacks, such as Sawk's Close Combat, and avoid Sucker Punch mind games against Pokemon that often try to dodge Sucker Punch with a status move, such as Mismagius. Fake Out can also be used in the last slot to some decent success, as when combined with Sucker Punch it allows Kecleon to act as a surprisingly good revenge killer. Kecleon is also better at deterring Steel-types from switching in than other Fake Out users in NU, such as Kangaskhan, due to its access to STAB Drain Punch. Stealth Rock is also a fantastic option in the last slot if you don't have another user of the move on your team yet, as Kecleon forces a lot of switches, so it has ample opportunities to set up Stealth Rock, and beats most of the common Rapid Spin and Defog users one-on-one, making it easy to keep entry hazards up for the duration of the battle. Aqua Tail is also an option in the last slot to OHKO Mega Camerupt, as well as having a great chance to OHKO Rhydon after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread allows Kecleon to outspeed uninvested base 55 Pokemon, such as Exeggutor and Golurk. Maximum investment in Attack allows Kecleon to hit as hard as possible, and the remaining EVs are put into Kecleon's HP to augment its natural special bulk. Life Orb is used to boost Kecleon's damage output, as base 90 Attack isn't that strong and the damage increase is very noticeable. Drain Punch helps mitigate the recoil that Life Orb causes. Black Glasses is another option for an item, as it boosts Kecleon's two most commonly used moves and doesn't cause any recoil, which helps lessen Kecleon's reliance on Drain Punch for healing. Protean gives Kecleon an extra 1.5x boost to all of its moves and allows Kecleon to change types at will; in particular, Kecleon can play mindgames with its access to Ghost-, Dark-, and Fighting-type moves.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off deals good damage and should generally be the first move you go for, as item removal coupled with respectable damage is a hassle to switch into for both offensive and defensive teams. If the opponent has a possible Mega Pokemon, Drain Punch is a better choice, as it hits harder than Knock Off and has the added bonus of keeping Kecleon healthy. Mind games happen quite often when Sucker Punch is used, so try to learn to use this to your advantage; predicting that an Archeops will use Roost or that a Lilligant will Quiver Dance and picking the appropriate attack can immediately turn the momentum of a battle. If you run Shadow Sneak, it is the much more reliable priority option when compared to Sucker Punch, as it hits foes regardless of whether they switch or predict the move, so use it over Sucker Punch when the foe is in KO range of both moves.

Team Options
========

Entry hazards are very helpful, as Kecleon forces a lot of switches with the mind games it can cause. Kecleon also appreciates the extra residual damage on the opponent's Pokemon, as it's rather weak and often misses out on OHKOs. Some reliable setters of Stealth Rock include Mesprit, Rhydon, and Crustle, while good Spikes setters include Crustle, Qwilfish, and Roselia. Pairing up Kecleon with other Pokemon that use Fighting-type attacks, such as Sawk, Malamar, or Hariyama, can be very beneficial, as they will wear down one another's checks and counters throughout the match.

Other Options
########

Power-Up Punch can be used to boost Kecleon's low Attack, as Kecleon can cleanly 2HKO NU's most popular walls after a boost; however, due to Kecleon's low base Speed it's rarely worth it to try to set up. Return is Kecleon's most powerful physical attack, but it doesn't offer any additional coverage and is not worth a moveslot. Substitute and Focus Punch can be used to punish foes that try to switch out fearing a Sucker Punch, though the combination takes up half of Kecleon's valuable moveslots. Access to Ice Punch, Fire Punch, and Thunder Punch allows Kecleon to rough up some usual counters, such as Vileplume, Mantine, and Rotom-F. Kecleon also has a fantastic support movepool including Magic Coat, Recover, Disable, Nasty Plot, Trick, and Foul Play; however, it has no real use for any of them on an attacking set, and non-attacking sets are better left to other NU Pokemon. A purely special attacking set can be used as a lure, as Kecleon gets access to Grass Knot and Fire Blast, which dispose of Quagsire, Seismitoad, and Vileplume easily. Assault Vest is usable on Kecleon but not recommended, as offensive Kecleon really needs the power from Life Orb to be threatening, and Kecleon is a rather mediocre special tank if it cannot use Recover.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status / Residual Damage**: Kecleon hates being burned, as its damage output drops to a negligible amount. Poison also hurts it, as poison, Life Orb recoil, and entry hazard damage wear it down very quickly. Preventing Kecleon from spamming Drain Punch removes its only source of recovery, so switching in a Pokemon that resists Fighting will prevent Kecleon from recovering much HP.

**Bulky Pokemon that Resist Fighting**: Pokemon such as Garbodor, Weezing, Vileplume, Togetic, Qwilfish, Granbull, and defensive Rotom-S can all switch into Kecleon safely and either proceed to burn it, knock it out, or ensure that it wears itself down with Life Orb recoil.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Water-types such as Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Poliwrath can switch in and simply wall Kecleon while threatening to burn it with Scald.

**Faster Pokemon that Resist Dark**: Pokemon such as Sawk and Sneasel can easily revenge kill Kecleon, as they resist its strongest form of priority and can prey on its weaker Defense stat. However, Sawk in particular has to be careful about the mind games that arise from Kecleon's ability to change its type with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch.

Last edited by a moderator:

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Alright this is ready for QC, not sure if the old PuP set deserves its own set, or just a mention in OO.
+1 Sucker does straight OHKO Archeops / Typh / anything frail pretty much, and +1 Drain Punch clean 2HKOs 252/0 Mega Lix. Thoughts on giving PuP its own set?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
but fakeout on kec is so baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad :[
Ill throw a mention in moves.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I mean Kanga uses Fake Out, so.....

I've had good experiences with Assault Vest on Kecleon, since its special bulk and STAB Drain Punch go a long way in checking special threats. That can go into OO, although it does slot pretty naturally on the main set.

also u misspelled Protean in 'ability' u scrub :3.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I mean Kanga uses Fake Out, so.....

I've had good experiences with Assault Vest on Kecleon, since its special bulk and STAB Drain Punch go a long way in checking special threats. That can go into OO, although it does slot pretty naturally on the main set.

also u misspelled Protean in 'ability' u scrub :3.
Oh, I was referring to Fake Out on Kecleon in specific, not in general. lol, clarified

I was doing calcs with it, and it just hits sooo much weaker. obviously it takes special hits a lot better, but iirc the spread listed can live a Fire Blast from Rupt and Eruption from typh. idk how much more it really needs to take, lol. I'll list it in OO.

it needs the protein, how else will it hit hard? :P

Fake out + sucker punch is a stab 120 bp move, and really quite useful to ohko stuff like ludicolo, pyroar, swellow, zangoose etc without taking damage. I really enjoyed using blackglasses on kek, as its bulk is ok and youre primarily using dark moves, may be worth a mention. I certainly found fake out way more useful than sr, and ss too for the way it combos with sucker punch at revenge killing. Like a FO+SP has a really high chance of ohkoing typhlosion from full hp (with life orb)

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
muh head tilts

did someone on qc ever try a bulky kecleon? something like foul play / twave / recover / stealth rock with max spdef (asking because stab foul play is always cool). maybe its better in OO than getting a main set tho

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
muh head tilts

did someone on qc ever try a bulky kecleon? something like foul play / twave / recover / stealth rock with max spdef (asking because stab foul play is always cool). maybe its better in OO than getting a main set tho
Currently on mobile cause internet access is down at my university, I'll test out a defensive one and a PuP one when I get it back :)

I still think fake out is a poor option (hell, I'd rather run an elemental punch) and only worthy of a moves mention, but I'll make it sound more enticing as opposed to down playing it.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Tried out sg's defensive set, it's alright, but definitely more worthy of an OO mention than a full set. Feel free to post replays or some shit to prove me wrong, I'm open to being wrong lol.
Updated Fakeout mention to make it seem less shitty, but still outclassed. Also included the Typh calc (not in calc form tho, taking your word for it Cherub Agent.)

Ready for more QC input / checks I guess :]

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You only need 84 Speed to beat base 50s

Kanga is a better Fake Outer most of the time, but I wouldn't make it sound like FO Kecleon has no niche. STAB Sucker Punch and Knock Off is definitely a valid reason to use it over Kanga
  • Protean is obviously the ability of choice, as it gives us an extra 1.5x boost to all our moves, and allows Kecleon to change types at will - which allows it to play mindgames with its Ghost / Dark / Fighting Typing.
Not entirely true, Kecleon can only change types directly before it attacks, which can be a problem with its low Speed (ik it has priority but still)

I don't really understand the point about "bulky pivots" in TO, Kecleon does struggle against bulky mons but I don't see how those Pokemon help Kec against them lol

Fire Blast and Solar Beam (which should be Grass Knot, js) being singled out as an anti-lead is weird to me, I think it would be better off mentioning them as potential fillers for the LO set that can hit usual checks like Plume / Toad / etc

C&C needs to be expanded. Add a section for generally bulky stuff like Toad and Poliwrath, faster priority from things like Gatr, faster Sucker Punch resists like Sneasel, etc

Fake Out is good shut up. Really thought don't shittalk it in the analysis. Kecleon is a fine Fake Out user and has a niche over Kangaskhan in:

252+ Atk Kangaskhan Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 70-84 (19.7 - 23.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ Atk Kangaskhan Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 92-110 (25.9 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Kecleon Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 133-156 (37.5 - 44%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's still 75% with two min rolls, and it's not hard to do 25% to a Mega Steelix in the meantime. With average rolls, you're doing ~79% in two hits. You should also mention Aqua Tail in moves because:

252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Kecleon Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 156-187 (44 - 52.8%) -- 49.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Kecleon Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 374-442 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Honestly, I wouldn't even mind Aqua Tail being slashed before Shadow Sneak and Stealth Rock.

In OO, I wouldn't say AV Kecleon is not recommended. It's not amazing, but it's not bad. Agree with adding a SpDef set and Blackglasses to OO.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
You only need 84 Speed to beat base 50s
But 299 is a super nice Lifeorb number, and saying that I hit that first and then "dumped the rest in speed" allows me to add speed creep to my analysis which is totally against the rules otherwise :^]
but seriously kecleon wants all the speed it can squeeze out of an EV spread; and theres no reason to invest more than 152 in HP as that investment allows you to avoid the 2hko from mega-rupts FireBlast after DP+LO. [and you'd just sucker punch Typhlosions anyway].
I don't really understand the point about "bulky pivots" in TO, Kecleon does struggle against bulky mons but I don't see how those Pokemon help Kec against them lol
I think the point of that was "kecleon gets walled by fat slow shit, so have some fat shit of your own that you can switch into" but yea i removed it as its slightly confusing and weird.
Fire Blast and Solar Beam (which should be Grass Knot, js) being singled out as an anti-lead is weird to me, I think it would be better off mentioning them as potential fillers for the LO set that can hit usual checks like Plume / Toad / etc
Didn't even know it got Grass knot, all ive been exposed to is goomy's aids "powerbeam antilead sets" so that why it was labeled as such. fixxxd
C&C needs to be expanded. Add a section for generally bulky stuff like Toad and Poliwrath, faster priority from things like Gatr, faster Sucker Punch resists like Sneasel, etc
duuuunnnnnerino.

Fake Out is good shut up. Really thought don't shittalk it in the analysis. Kecleon is a fine Fake Out user and has a niche over Kangaskhan.
Implemented.

252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Kecleon Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Steelix: 156-187 (44 - 52.8%) -- 49.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Life Orb Protean Kecleon Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Rhydon: 374-442 (90.3 - 106.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Honestly, I wouldn't even mind Aqua Tail being slashed before Shadow Sneak and Stealth Rock.
personally I'm just going to leave it in moves, as Kecleon has a lot going on already in the 4th slot, and while being able to ohko rhydon and camerupt is super cool, it has stab drain punch which afaik beats rhydon and definitely beats the other two 1 on 1 anyway. ty though, as it is a cool option to mention.
In OO, I wouldn't say AV Kecleon is not recommended. It's not amazing, but it's not bad.
basically what I said- its usable sure, but kek really really wants the power of lifeorb as 99% of the things switching into it hit on the physical side anyway and it's much better to hit shit super hard with Sucker and Knock all game than to live a few attacks before dying. I'll make it seem like an passable option in write up, though.

should all be implemented now. feedbacks are welcomed .

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
if theres remaining speed left over that still doesnt justify speed creeping so you should put the rest in Spdef or phydef after hitting what you said you want to hit

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Lol alright this is also updated for ORAS With mentions of Quaggy and Virizion.

Updated silly speed-creep issue as well, Kecleon now hits a solid benchmark of 147 which is 1 point faster than 0 Spe base 55s

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Mention in Overview that its average Defense, combined with its poor Speed, leaves it rather prone to many physical attackers in the tier.

The attack order in Moves does not match the order on the set; why talk about Knock Off first when Drain Punch is listed first?

Garbo in C&C as well @3@

You could also make a note on just how bad Color Change is (letting the opponent decide Kecleon's type instead of yourself?? :P) in Other Options, in case newer users wonder why it is not mentioned at all.

QC 3/3

One more note CanadianWifier, include examples of Pokemon in the base 55 range for Set Details, so readers would know what Kecleon is supposed to be outrunning.

Last edited:

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2

Overview
########

With access to the amazing ability Protean and a super diverse attacking movepool to make good use of it, Kecleon is a very scary Pokemon in NU. (I changed the order in the following sentence because it could sound like Kecleon's priority attacks make up for its Speed, its recovery, and its Special Defense) Kecleon has somewhat reliable recovery in the form of Drain Punch, a very high Special Defense stat that allows it survive some powerful attacks without any investment, and access to multiple forms of priority, (comma) which somewhat makes up for its rather poor Speed stat, semi-reliable recovery in the form of Drain Punch, as well as a very high natural Special Defense stat that allows it to live some powerful attacks without any investment. However, its lackluster base 90 Attack isn't that strong, often leaving it just short of KOing on the opponent's Pokemon. Kecleon is also very slow for an attacking Pokemon when it's not making use of its priority moves, meaning it often has to take a hit before getting to attack. Its lackluster Speed coupled with its low physical defense also leaves it very vulnerable to getting revenge killed. This is how awkward the overview sounds when we can't add a line of flavour text to end it off with. :( :(

kek
########
move 4: Fake Out / Shadow Sneak / Stealth Rock
evs: EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

Moves
========

Knock Off deals good damage is the most powerful move on this set, (I changed this because you use a similar phrasing in the Usage Tips section) and also removes the foe's opponent's held item, potentially crippling it them for the rest of the battle. It's also very useful to remove Leftovers from potential counters, making as that makes them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match. Drain Punch is provides excellent coverage alongside Knock Off, and it has the added benefit of granting Kecleon recovery while attacking. Drain Punch is Kecleon's your best bet for hitting Steel-types such as Steelix and Probopass, along with Mega Pokemon such as Camerupt and or Audino. Sucker Punch is Kecleon's the strongest form of priority Kecleon gets access to, and it hits any frail, fast attackers such as Archeops or Typhlosion extremely hard. Shadow Sneak gives Kecleon a second form of priority, which you can use to avoid Sucker Punch mind games against Pokemon such as Mismagius, which often try to dodge Sucker Punch with a status move. Shadow Sneak also turns Kecleon you into a Ghost-type, which you can use to play around Fighting-type attacks, like such as Sawk's Close Combat, for example. Fake Out can also be used in the last slot to with some decent success, as when combined with Sucker Punch it allows Kecleon to act as a surprisingly good revenge killer. (Fake Out is slashed before Shadow Sneak on the set; either change the order here or on the moveset to match) Kecleon is also better at deterring also deters Steel-types from switching in than better than other Fake Out users in NU, (comma) such as Kangaskhan, due to Kecleon's access to STAB Drain Punch. Stealth Rock is also a fantastic option in the last slot if you don't have it on your team yet, as Kecleon forces a lot of switches, so it has ample opportunities to set them up Stealth Rock. Kecleon also beats most of the common Rapid Spin and Defog users one-on-one, making it easy to keep them entry hazards up for the duration of the battle. Aqua Tail is also an option in the last slot to OHKO Mega Camerupt, and it also has as well as having a great chance to OHKO Rhydon after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread allows Kecleon to outspeed minimum Speed base 55 Pokemon (such as). Maximum investment in Attack allows Kecleon to hit as hard as possible, and the remaining EVs are put rest is slipped into Kecleon's HP to augment retain its natural special bulk. Life Orb is used to maximize Kecleon's damage output, as 90 base 90 Attack by itself isn't all that strong and the damage increase is very noticeable. Drain Punch also helps mitigate the recoil that Life Orb causes. Protean is obviously the ability of choice, as it gives Kecleon us an extra 1.5x boost to all of its our moves, (remove comma) and allows Kecleon to change types at will; in particular, Kecleon can - allowing it to play mind games with its access to Ghost-, Dark-, and Fighting-type moves. Black Glasses is another option on the set, as it boosts Kecleon's two most commonly used moves, (remove comma) and doesn't cause any recoil, (comma) which helps lessen the Kecleon's reliance on Drain Punch for healing.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off is the most powerful move on the set, (remove comma) and should generally be the first move one you go for when Kecleon is sent into battle. Item removal coupled with respectable damage is a hassle to switch into for both offensive, (remove comma) and defensive teams. If the opponent has a Steelix or another possible Mega Pokemon, Drain Punch is a better choice, as it obviously hits harder than Knock Off, (remove comma) and has the added bonus of keeping Kecleon healthy. Mind games with the opponent happen quite often when Sucker Punch is used, so try and to learn to use this to your advantage. Predicting that an Archeops will use Roost or that a Lilligant will Quiver Dance and picking the appropriate attack an Archeops to use Roost, or a Lilligant to use Quiver Dance, and clicking Drain Punch or Knock Off can immediately turn the momentum of a battle. If carried, If you run Shadow Sneak, it is the much more reliable priority option when compared to Sucker Punch, as it hits opponents foes regardless of whether they switch or predict the move, so use it switching or predictions, and such should be selected instead of Sucker Punch when the opponent's Pokemon is in KO range of both moves.

Team Options
========

Entry hazards are very helpful, as Kecleon forces a lot of switches with the mind games it can cause. Kecleon also appreciates the extra residual damage on the opponent's Pokemon upon switching in, as with 90 base 90 Attack it's still rather weak, (remove comma) and often misses out on OHKOs. Some reliable setters of Stealth Rock include Mesprit, Rhydon, and Crustle, while common Spikes setters include Crustle, Qwilfish, and Roselia. Pairing up Kecleon with other Pokemon that use Fighting-types attacks, such as Sawk, Malamar, or Hariyama, (comma) can be very beneficial, as they will wear down one another's each others checks and counters throughout the match.

Other Options
########

Power-Up Punch can be used to boost Kecleon's low Attack, as Kecleon can cleanly 2HKO NU's most popular walls after a boost after it has boosted once, NU's most popular walls get cleanly 2HKOed; however, due to Kecleon's low base Speed it's rarely worth it to try to and set up. Return can be used, (comma) as it's Kecleon's most powerful physical attack, however, but it doesn't offer any additional offensive coverage and is not worth a moveslot, and is therefore difficult to find room for on a moveset. Substitute and Focus Punch can be used in combination to punish Pokemon that those who try to switch out, fearing a Sucker Punch, though the combination takes up half of Kecleon's super valuable moveslots. Access to Ice Punch, Fire Punch, and Thunder Punch allows (access...allows) Kecleon to rough up some usual counters, such as Rotom-F, Vileplume, and Mantine, and Rotom-Fan (I changed the order because Mantine should go with Thunder Punch). Kecleon also has a fantastic supportive movepool, including Magic Coat, Recover, Disable, Nasty Plot, Trick, and Foul Play; however, it has no real use for any of them on an attacking set, and non-attacking sets are better left to other NU Pokemon. A purely special attacking set can be used as a lure, as Kecleon gets access to Grass Knot and Fire Blast, which dispose of Quagsire, Seismitoad, and Vileplume easily. Assault Vest is usable on Kecleon, but not recommended, as offensive Kecleon really needs the power from Life Orb to be threatening offensively, and Kecleon is a rather mediocre special tank if it cannot use without the ability to use Recover using Kecleon as a special tank is rather mediocre.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status / Residual Damage**: Kecleon hates being burned, as its damage output drops to a negligible amount. Poison also hurts it, as poison, coupled with Life Orb recoil, and entry hazard damage wears it down very quickly. Preventing it Kecleon from spamming Drain Punch removes its only source of recovery, so switching in a Pokemon that resists Fighting will quickly wear it down when coupled with entry hazards and Life Orb damage, so it's best to switch in a Fighting-type resist, as that prevents Kecleon from recovering much HP.

**Bulky Pokemon that Resist Fighting-type Resists (don't use 'resists' as a noun)**: Pokemon such as Garbodor, Weezing, Vileplume, Togetic, Qwilfish, Granbull, and defensive or Defensive Rotom-S can all switch into Kecleon safely, (remove comma) and either proceed to burn it, knock it out, or wear it down with Life Orb recoil damage.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Poliwrath can switch in and simply wall Kecleon, while threatening to burn it with Scald.

**Faster Pokemon that Resist Dark Sucker Punch Resists**: Pokemon such as Sawk, Virizion, and Sneasel can easily revenge kill Kecleon, as they resist its strongest form of priority and can prey on its weaker Defense stat. Sawk in particular specific has to be careful about the mind games that arise from Kecleon's ability to change its type with Shadow Sneak and / Sucker Punch type changing mindgames, though.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Get chekt

Delete in RED
Add in BLUE
And now, all new... fluff in Bold.

Hey there, ya sorta forgot an end to this sentence
"somewhat reliable recovery in the form of Drain Punch, a very high Special Defense stat that allows it survive some powerful attacks without any investment, and access to multiple forms of priority, which somewhat makes up for its rather poor Speed stat."

CanadianWifier

Comments:

Overview: Big sentence combination at the end there. Also, i get that it has good priority options to mitigate its low Speed, but you kinda mentioned that already and it sounds weird to say 'except when using its prio moves';the fact that you say often has to take a hit and, it's enough to cut out that part. Feel free to disagree.

The Black Glasses sentence should really go after the Life Orb sentence, since you're talking about items and all.

Feel like 'min speed' means 4 EVs actually, might be wrong tho

you dont gotta say 'after its sent into battle', a bit of wasted words there. just 'first move to go for' is good

amcheck

Overview
########

With access to the amazing ability Protean and a diverse attacking movepool, Kecleon is a very scary Pokemon in NU. sSomewhat reliable recovery in the form of Drain Punch, a very high Special Defense stat that allows it survive some powerful attacks without any investment, and access to multiple forms of priority, which somewhat makes up for its rather poor Speed stat. However, its lackluster base 90 Attack isn't that strong,(rc) often leaving leaves it just short of KOing the opponent's Pokemon.,(period to comma) and Kecleon is also very slow for an attacking Pokemon when it's not making use of its priority moves, meaning it often has to take a hit before getting to attack.,(period to comma) Its lackluster Speed coupled and with its low physical defense Defense,(ac) also leaves it it is very vulnerable to getting revenge killed.

kek
########
move 4: Shadow Sneak / Fake Out / Stealth Rock
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe

Moves
========

Knock Off is the most powerful move on this set, and also removes foe's items, potentially crippling it opponents for the rest of the battle. It's also very useful to remove and removing Leftovers from potential counters,(rc) to make making them easier to wear down throughout the rest of the match. Drain Punch is excellent coverage alongside Knock Off, and it has the added benefit of granting Kecleon recovery. Drain Punch is being Kecleon's best bet for hitting Steel-types such as Steelix and Probopass, along with Mega Pokemon such as Camerupt and Audino,(ac) and granting it recovery. Sucker Punch is Kecleon's strongest form of priority, and it hits frail, fast attackers such as Archeops or Typhlosion extremely hard. Shadow Sneak gives Kecleon a second form of priority,(rc) which you can use to become Ghost-type and thus play around Fighting-type attacks and avoid Sucker Punch mind games against Pokemon, such as Mismagius, that often try to dodge Sucker Punch with a status move which often try to dodge Sucker Punch with a status move. Shadow Sneak also turns Kecleon into a Ghost-type,(rc) which you can use to play around Figchting-type attacks,(rc) such as Sawk's Close Combat. Fake Out can also be used in the last slot to some decent success, as when combined with Sucker Punch it allows Kecleon to act as a surprisingly good revenge killer. Kecleon is also better at deterring Steel-types from switching in than other Fake Out users in NU, such as Kangaskhan, due to Kecleon's access to STAB Drain Punch. Stealth Rock is also a fantastic option in the last slot if you don't have it on your team yet, as Kecleon forces a lot of switches, so it has ample opportunities to set up Stealth Rock.,(period to comma) Kecleon also and beats most of the common Rapid Spin and Defog users one-on-one, making it easy to keep entry hazards up for the duration of the battle. Aqua Tail is also an option in the last slot to OHKO Mega Camerupt, and it also has a great chance to OHKO Rhydon after Stealth Rock.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread allows Kecleon to outspeed minimum Speed uninvested base 55 Pokemon, such as Exeggutor and Golurk. Maximum investment in Attack allows Kecleon to hit as hard as possible, and the remaining EVs are put into Kecleon's HP to augment its natural special bulk. Life Orb is used to maximize boost Kecleon's damage output, as base 90 Attack isn't that strong and the damage increase is very noticeable. Drain Punch helps mitigate the recoil that Life Orb causes. Protean is obviously the ability of choice,(rc) as it gives Kecleon an extra 1.5x boost to all of its moves and allows Kecleon to change types at will; in particular, Kecleon can play mindgames with its access to Ghost-, Dark-, and Fighting-type moves. Black Glasses is another option on the set for an item, as it boosts Kecleon's two most commonly used moves and doesn't cause any recoil, which helps lessen Kecleon's reliance on Drain Punch for healing.

Usage Tips
========

Knock Off deals good damage and should generally be the first move you go for when Kecleon is sent into battle. Item ,(ac) as item removal coupled with respectable damage is a hassle to switch into for both offensive and defensive teams. If the opponent has a Steelix or another possible Mega Pokemon, Drain Punch is a better choice, as it hits harder than Knock Off and has the added bonus of keeping Kecleon healthy. Mind games with the opponent happen quite often when Sucker Punch is used, so try to learn to use this to your advantage.;(period to semicolon, decapitalize) Ppredicting that an Archeops will use Roost or that a Lilligant will Quiver Dance and picking the appropriate attack can immediately turn the momentum of a battle. If you run Shadow Sneak, it is the much more reliable priority option when compared to Sucker Punch, as it hits foes regardless whether they switch or predict the move, so use it instead of Sucker Punch when it OHKOes the opponent's Pokemon is in KO range of both moves.

Team Options
========

Entry hazards are very helpful, as Kecleon forces a lot of switches with the mind games it can cause. Kecleon also appreciates the extra residual damage on the opponent's Pokemon, as with base 90 Attack it's rather weak and often misses out on OHKOs. Some reliable setters of Stealth Rock include Mesprit, Rhydon, and Crustle, while common Spikes setters include Crustle, Qwilfish, and Roselia. Pairing up Kecleon with other Pokemon that use Fighting-type attacks, such as Sawk, Malamar, or Hariyama, can be very beneficial, as they will wear down one another's checks and counters throughout the match.

Other Options
########

Power-Up Punch can be used to boost Kecleon's low Attack, as Kecleon can cleanly 2HKO NU's most popular walls after a boost; however, due to Kecleon's low base Speed it's rarely worth it to try to set up. Return can be used,(rc) as it's is Kecleon's most powerful physical attack, but it doesn't offer any additional offensive coverage,(rc) and is not worth a moveslot. Substitute and Focus Punch can be used to punish opponents who try to switch out fearing a Sucker Punch, though the combination takes up half of Kecleon's valuable moveslots. Access to Ice Punch, Fire Punch, and Thunder Punch allows Kecleon to rough up some usual counters, such as Vileplume, Mantine, and Rotom-F. Kecleon also has a fantastic support movepool including Magic Coat, Recover, Disable, Nasty Plot, Trick, and Foul Play; however, it has no real use for any of them on an attacking set, and non-attacking sets are better left to other NU Pokemon. A purely special attacking set can be used as a lure, as Kecleon gets access to Grass Knot and Fire Blast, which dispose of Quagsire, Seismitoad, and Vileplume easily. Assault Vest is usable on Kecleon but not recommended, as offensive Kecleon really needs the power from Life Orb to be threatening, and and Kecleon is a rather mediocre special tank if it cannot use Recover.

Checks & Counters
########

**Status / Residual Damage**: Kecleon hates being burned, as its damage output drops to a negligible amount. Poison also hurts it, as poison, Life Orb recoil, and entry hazard damage wear it down very quickly. Preventing Kecleon from spamming Drain Punch removes its only source of recovery, so switching in a Pokemon that resists Fighting will prevent Kecleon from recovering much HP.

**Bulky Pokemon that Resist Fighting**: Pokemon such as Garbodor, Weezing, Vileplume, Togetic, Qwilfish, Granbull, and defensive Rotom-S can all switch into Kecleon safely and either proceed to burn it, knock it out, or wear it down with Life Orb recoil.

**Bulky Water-types**: Bulky Pokemon such as Seismitoad, Quagsire, and Poliwrath can switch in and simply wall Kecleon,(rc) while threatening to burn it with Scald.

**Faster Pokemon that Resist Dark**: Pokemon such as Sawk, Virizion, and Sneasel can easily revenge kill Kecleon, as they resist its strongest form of priority and can prey on its weaker Defense stat. However,(ac) Sawk in particular has to be careful about the mind games that arise from Kecleon's ability to change its type with Shadow Sneak and Sucker Punch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)