Gen 6 Good Cores: ORAS Ubers Edition

I wanted to post a core here that I used lately and that gave me good results in ladder:

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Diancie @ Diancite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Moon Blast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

That's clearly an offensive one, I think that I haven't to say much about that core since it speaks by itself, but Ill introduce it a bit. One of Ho-Oh's biggest flaws as you guys already know is the huge weakness to Stealth Rock and Mega Diancie with Magic Bounce mitigates it a bit. Ho-Oh helps Diancie too as it forces out Scizor and other Steel-type mons which threatnens Diancie, that is cool because it can 2HKO Pdon with Earth Power even if it's running a SDef set so Ho-Oh can spam its STAB fire more easily. Also Ho-Oh covers the weakness to ground that Diancie has, while the latter can switch-in on some Rock-type attacks (don't forget that it hasn't a really good bulk, though). Another niche that Diancie has is that it can revenge-kill SD Rayquaza if it can live an +2 ES, which is always nice as Rayquaza becomes a more dangerous pokèmon in ORAS. The core has obviously problems with strong Water-type attackers like Primal Kyogre and CM Arceus Water, therefore probably the best teammate for it are Primal Groudon to have a safe switch-in on strong Water-type attacks and one Lati Twin to act as a defogger in case Diancie can't prevent Stealth Rock and as well as another check to Primal Kyogre and other Water-type mons. I forget to say that you can run another move instead of Protect on Diancie even if it's probably the best one in Ubers as it's difficult to mega-evolve in a safe way Diancie, but you can always try options like Calm Mind which help you against fat n bulky teams. However, I would always run Protect for the reason I explained before and I'll use a mon that can help against bulkier playstyles. Thats all I guess, thanks for reading and have fun using this core! :]
May I recommend a timid, or a hasty nature? If you are using diancie on a team, chances are high youre using it as an yveltal check. Needless to say, with a -spdef nature yveltal doesnt really care about diancie and just breezes past it. I don't like 0/0 bulk in the first place, because diancie is supposed to be bulky and not be a "sweeper". Like max speed does virtually nothing for it, adamant ray is a good benchmark already. Anyway, in reality you'll unlikely be able to fit another good check to yvetal because of the way your build has to turn out. If you do add one, youre likely having a sub-optimal build because youre focusing on one mon with 2 different aspects of your team, which gives you a bit of a redundant build. With a -atk nature you dont have the unneeded drop, and -atk changes almost nothing. The main target of diamond storm, ho-oh, is still ohkoed. Moonblast/earth power hits most stuff anyway, so you lose almot nothing from the 10% drop in attack. A -def nature also doesnt really matter because you die to ho-oh's eq anyway, and you outspeed things like rayq. Eq mence just ohkoes, but I guess having a neutral nature is better for a one-time DE mence check.

I mean, it's your set so you could just change it to -atk, but max speed really doesnt do much. The best thing is speedtying (word?) with the latis, but without any bulk diancie is so frail it cant switch in on psyshock anyway. Max hp does wonders for it, because it has a shitty hp stat but good defenses. It's also rather annoying when you cant switch in on anything. Diancie isnt exactly strong enough to be a glass cannon, but when it doesnt have the bulk to switch in on and pressure the opposing team with its great coverage it turns out lacklustre. A spread of 240 HP / 100 SpA / 168 Spe Modest may not outspeed the latis, but at least it now has some bulk to switch in on them. It outspeeds max speed yveltal, and hits just as hard as the 252/252+ spread. You essentially went from speedtying with the latis, to having a mon that actually does what it's supposed to do :] Other than that, this core is good imo. I dont think diancie is actually that great, but in combo with ho-oh it just seems to do well. Yeah, you still need reliably defog or else ho-oh will be hard to use. This pushes your build into the direction of either arceus ghost/gira-o/latias, and then the leftover 2 mon+what you want to do with the don set. The fact that you can use this as your yveltal check is just so nice, and diancie is a pain in the ass to kill, especially if you have a ho-oh backing it up.

Yeh thanks for your advice man, even if I still like more the EV spread I posted in my core. Diancie even with 240 EVs in HP can't still switch-in on Lati Twins as Psyshock clearly 2HKOs Diancie and offensive Yveltal still does a ton with Dark Pulse + Sucker Punch (almost 70%) which means that Diancie can switch just once on it. Also I found useful having some Speed to at least speed-tie with Lati Twins as you pointed out and as well to beat things like pre-evolution Mega Salamence or to revenge-kill Arceus Adamant Extreme-killer or Jolly Rayquaza or Naive if it's running a Mixed set. I agree that Hasty is better than Naive though, at least it can deal with Yveltal a little better so I'm going to change it right now.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
I wanted to post a core here that I used lately and that gave me good results in ladder:

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Atk / 52 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Diancie @ Diancite
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Moon Blast
- Diamond Storm
- Earth Power
- Protect

That's clearly an offensive one, I think that I haven't to say much about that core since it speaks by itself, but Ill introduce it a bit. One of Ho-Oh's biggest flaws as you guys already know is the huge weakness to Stealth Rock and Mega Diancie with Magic Bounce mitigates it a bit. Ho-Oh helps Diancie too as it forces out Scizor and other Steel-type mons which threatnens Diancie, that is cool because it can 2HKO Pdon with Earth Power even if it's running a SDef set so Ho-Oh can spam its STAB fire more easily. Also Ho-Oh covers the weakness to ground that Diancie has, while the latter can switch-in on some Rock-type attacks (don't forget that it hasn't a really good bulk, though). Another niche that Diancie has is that it can revenge-kill SD Rayquaza if it can live an +2 ES, which is always nice as Rayquaza becomes a more dangerous pokèmon in ORAS. The core has obviously problems with strong Water-type attackers like Primal Kyogre and CM Arceus Water, therefore probably the best teammate for it are Primal Groudon to have a safe switch-in on strong Water-type attacks and one Lati Twin to act as a defogger in case Diancie can't prevent Stealth Rock and as well as another check to Primal Kyogre and other Water-type mons. I forget to say that you can run another move instead of Protect on Diancie even if it's probably the best one in Ubers as it's difficult to mega-evolve in a safe way Diancie, but you can always try options like Calm Mind which help you against fat n bulky teams. However, I would always run Protect for the reason I explained before and I'll use a mon that can help against bulkier playstyles. Thats all I guess, thanks for reading and have fun using this core! :]
Thanks for asking about taking my reserve :|

My ideia with this core is to sacrificate Klefki using fairy lock against Primal Groudon, so I can come in with Primal Kyogre and defeat the opposing Groudon, eliminating one important threat

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Fairy Lock

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb
Ability: Primordial Sea
EVs: 60 HP / 252 SpA / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Calm Mind

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
According to bulbapedia the effects of Fairy Lock vanishes if the user is not present. Can someone confirm/deconfirm this?

According to bulbapedia the effects of Fairy Lock vanishes if the user is not present. Can someone confirm/deconfirm this?
Nope, if you use it as you die the mon is trapped the next turn. It's standard on the OU Dual Screens lead because it gives you a free setup before you die.

eren

je suis d'ailleurs

Mega Salamence / PDon / Xern Core (Criticism greatly appreciated)

This is an offensive core darkrai147 helped me make and has been pretty successful on the ladder. This core is centralized around giving as many opportunities for each of these offensive powerhouses as possible during the duration of a match.

Firstly, a main upside of this core is type coverage. Each member of the team covers the other's weaknessses.PDon coverins xern's weaknessses perfectly, examples including arceus-poison and scizor, whereas salamence covers PDons only weakness, which is ironically ground, and groudon covers salamence's ice weakness and xern covers his dragon weakness.

Next, teammates. This core doesnt really allow for great flexibity for the rest of the team because 1) a stealth rocker is needed. 2) a defogger is needed. To help fill a role, i suggest Dialgia due to the fact that this core is significatly hurt by primal kyogre before Geomancy boosting by xerneas or when kyogre is out to revenge kill PDon. Though the arceus forme is up to your discretion i suggest arceus-grass to help eat ground moves that would leave both dialgia and PDon vulnerable.

Finally, spreads.
For Mega Salamence, we decided that a standard 252/252/4 spread was the best way to utilize both salamence's speed and attack. So a simple 252 Atk 252 Speed and 4 Def was chosen. Next, we chose offensive primal groudon. The standard 128 HP 252 Atk 128 Speed spread was chosen to help outspeed scarfed base 100s after a rock polish boost. You may also put a defensive stealth rock set on PDon to help alleviate the need for a stealth rocker. Finally, we have geo-sub xern. We put 120 speed to outspeed things inluding scarf gene after a geo boost. Hope you enjoy~~

So without further ado, the sets:
Tinker Bell (Xerneas) @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 104 HP / 32 Def / 252 SpA / 120 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Substitute / Hidden Power Fire
- Focus Blast / Thunder

Captain Hook (Groudon) @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
- Precipice Blades
- Stone Edge / Fire Punch

Peter Pan (Salamence) @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Substitute
- Return
- Dragon Dance

I'm not sure if anyone has used this before, but this is one core I'm absolutely in love with -

Salamence-Mega @ Salamencite
Adamant
Aerilate
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Frustration
- Earthquake

Rayquaza @ Choice Band
Adamant
Air Lock
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
- Dragon Ascent
- Earthquake
- V-Create
- ExremeSpeed

With adequate support, these two dragons can destroy entire teams by themselves. I run sub on Mence mostly so that Priority TWave/WoW from Klef/Sab won't stop me, and it also prevents Ditto from stealing my boosts. Speed EVs allow Mence to outrun neutral natured max speed base 99s before mega, anything upto Jolly Kanga post mega, and upto Scarf +Spe Genesect after a DD, all which are important benchmarks imo. Rayquaza is amazing partner for it, as it can hit most of its switch-ins hard with a CB on. For example, even max HP Rockceus stands a ~20% chance to be OHKOed by EQ after just SR damage. V-Create destroys the odd Skarm/Bronzong, while ESpeed hits rather hard coming off of 657 Attack, OHKOing frail offensive mons after little prior damage.
Groudon is a great support mon for these two due to being a Xerneas and Rockceus check as well as an SR setter which helps Ray break Lugia. A reliable defogger like any Arceus form works nicely too, as it can provide both Ray and Mence less painful switch-ins.

So I was scrambling around and I found this core work quite well.

This core is very great, and can work in tandem to beat out common Ubers Pokemon like Arceus, Primal Groudon and Xerneas. In terms of offensive synergy, Mega Gengar is weak around Pokemon such as specially defensive Primal Groudon, and is weak to Ground-, Ghost-, Dark- and Psychic-types. This is where YGod comes in and is either immune to, resists, or can handle most of these weaknesses. Yveltal's main concern is Xerneas and Klefki, and Mega Gengar can deal with both of those quite nicely. Also, they can force out common hazard removers like Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O. Great for keeping hazards in their field!

Now this core is weak to Deoxys-A (if it's Sashed then that's a big problem) Klefki, Ho-oh and some others that can take them only on specific conditions like Primal Kyogre, Mega Diancie, Arceus, Zekrom and Choice Scarf Xerneas. Primal Groudon is a great teammate, boasting enough power and bulk to take on these said threats (it can even also set up Stealth Rock). Good teammates include hazard stacker cores like Klefki + Primal Groudon since these two forces out many hazard removers. Additional support against Xerneas is appreciated to alleviate pressure off Mega Gengar, who loses to Scarf variants if played with poorly.

Yveltal's moveset can be up to you, I guess, as it can still come as helpful anyways.

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 24 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt / U-Turn

Hm, this thread hasn't been updated much lately. Looking forward to this thread being back alive again.

EDIT: As to the guy below, I'd suggest to leave U-Turn to others like Genesect and Scizor, or maybe let Yveltal run Choice Scarf. LO Yveltal's role is mainly wallbreaking, and Taunt capitalizes on that further. Again, you could customize Yveltal's moveset to your team's needs so feel free to experiment.

Last edited:

DKFirelord

Back this time I swear!
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I was scrambling around and I found this core work quite well.

This core is very great, and can work in tandem to beat out common Ubers Pokemon like Arceus, Primal Groudon and Xerneas. In terms of offensive synergy, Mega Gengar is weak around Pokemon such as specially defensive Primal Groudon, and is weak to Ground-, Ghost-, Dark- and Psychic-types. This is where YGod comes in and is either immune to, resists, or can handle most of these weaknesses. Yveltal's main concern is Xerneas and Klefki, and Mega Gengar can deal with both of those quite nicely. Also, they can force out common hazard removers like Latios, Latias, and Giratina-O. Great for keeping hazards in their field!

Now this core is weak to Deoxys-A (if it's Sashed then that's a big problem) Klefki, Ho-oh and some others that can take them only on specific conditions like Primal Kyogre, Mega Diancie, Arceus, Zekrom and Choice Scarf Xerneas. Primal Groudon is a great teammate, boasting enough power and bulk to take on these said threats (it can even also set up Stealth Rock). Good teammates include hazard stacker cores like Klefki + Primal Groudon since these two forces out many hazard removers. Additional support against Xerneas is appreciated to alleviate pressure off Mega Gengar, who loses to Scarf variants if played with poorly.

Yveltal's moveset can be up to you, I guess, as it can still come as helpful anyways.

Gengar @ Gengarite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 24 HP / 48 Atk / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

Hm, this thread hasn't been updated much lately. Looking forward to this thread being back alive again.
I think you should run U-Turn over Taunt to get Gengar in for free on Yveltal checks or counter that try to switch in on it you U-Turn and bring it in for free

+

so i was building with skymin recently and i realized that refresh megamence is a great partner. skymins able to trash arceus-rock while making a notacable dent in primal-groudon or giritina. in return, mence provides a ho-oh check and a status absorber for shaymin and can set up on weakened mons. at this point, mence can set up once its checks are weakened and clean house. mence also really appreciates shaymin's healing wishes to get it back in action. core needs support getting past ice types and hazard control, which makes arceus-water a cool choice, as its the only mon that fits those two categories, while also checking stuff like pdon or dialga and spreading toxic to weaken the opposing team. cool
Shaymin-Sky @ Life Orb
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Healing Wish
- Earth Power

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Roost
- Refresh
- Dragon Dance

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello I'll take this Moment to introduce myself. I am ShuckleDeath this is my first post outside of PU so I hope you guys enjoy and if it's bad don't be afraid to correct me.

Offensive Core

+

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 96 Atk / 252 SpA / 104 SpD / 56 Spe
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Precipice Blades

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite X
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 112 Atk / 144 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Special Rock Polish Groudon is a very solid cleaner late game and also has the bulk and the power to cleave through whole unprepared teams. Its biggest checks in my opinion are Ho-OH and Lugia. This is where Mega-Mewtwo-X comes in. it does a great job luring in Lugia and Ho-Oh with Stone Edge. it is a solid Check to ExtreamKiller Arceus being able to survive a +2 E-Speed and OHKO 200 HP Normal Arceus in return, this is important for keeping Groudons sweep up as long as possible, it's also nice for HO in general. Special Prmal Groudon lures in Physical Walls for Mewtwo, destroying the Bulky Grass types that give this Mewtwo set trouble.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)