Gen 2 Finding my last Pokémon

Hello everybody, I'm looking for help to find the last Poké for my team. I'm going to participate on a Stadium 2 tournament and I have been working really really hard to breed the best Pokés I could. The last time I participated I had relatively good results, but my 6th Poké was something really bad, because I registered it to fill the empty space... u.u

So this year I need to find the best option to make a great team!

This is what I have right now:

Tyranitar
(MiracleBerry)
Rock Slide
Fire Blast
Pursuit
Roar

Heracross
(Ice Berry)
Megahorn
Earthquake
Counter (this worked really great last year!)
Curse

Starmie
(PrzCureBerry)
Surf
Psychic
Rapid Spin
Recover

Skarmory
(Mint Berry)
Drill Peck
Curse
Whirlwind
Rest

Blissey
(Leftovers)
Toxic (or Flamethrower)
Light Screen
Heal Bell
Softboiled

...?

I have some doubts about some moves:

Starmie's Rapid Spin: On the last three tournaments, Spikes wasn't used on a single battle! So I don't know if I should replace it with other move like Ice Beam.
Blissey's Toxic: It may force some switches and wear the opponent team... but on the last tournament I really needed something more offensive >_<

And finally... the last slot on my team. I have some ideas, maybe Forretress, maybe Zapdos... even I have some crazy ideas like Jolteon.

Forretress: if there's something that I can testify about these tournaments, it is "there are so much switches!!" I think that some Spikes may work wonderfully here: to stop switches and for additional damage. But adding a third Fire-weak Pokémon...

Zapdos: I'm not very sure about this one, but maybe some RestTalk may be good. (Anyway I don't want to add a Poké just to fill a space, I want to add somethin that works together with the rest of the team)

Jolteon: this is a crazy idea that I was some time ago, use Agility + Baton Pass, pass it to Heracross, (maybe use Swords Dance when it's full health), use some Earthquake/Megahorn if it's possible, then use Endure when something treaty came up (like Drill Peck)... and then use Reversal like hell!
With this, I'd be able to OHKO many things, and Heracross would be outspeeding anything.

Help me to find the best option for my team, I just have those doubts about the moves and the last Poké :(
Oh yes, I'm obtaining my Pokés with "full-legit methods", so I'm not possibly considering something like Raikou with Hidden Power Ice because it would be so hard to catch u.u

Any suggestion about the team or moves would be welcome :)

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
even without hidden power, an electric's probably still worth it judging from what I've read elsewhere on this site

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Raikou can get away with using Crunch, Zapdos suffers a bit more without a good Hidden Power (though Zapdos is quite easy to catch) if you figure to use one of them. With multiple Roar/Whirlwind users you should strongly consider Spikes though.

No reason for Ice Berry on Heracross, Fire moves will mostly roast it anyway which are the only way to burn a target unless you're deathly afraid of Tri Attack. You could afford to lose Heracross entirely if you want to use Forretress without having too many Fire weaknesses.

Thanks for the comments, I was thinking that maybe nobody would reply, so thanks :)

I know that Snorlax is a beast on GSC, but I have 3 physical attackers (if I can count Skarmory here) and just 1 special attacker, because of this, maybe a special attacker would be better.
I'm thinking about Zapdos, some months ago I managed to catch one with good DVs (10/15/14/14/14/9), I wasn't looking for Hidden Power back on those days >_<

What do you think about Blissey? Flamethrower or Toxic?

No reason for Ice Berry on Heracross, Fire moves will mostly roast it anyway which are the only way to burn a target unless you're deathly afraid of Tri Attack. You could afford to lose Heracross entirely if you want to use Forretress without having too many Fire weaknesses.
Thanks for this one, you're right! I didn't consider that. (Now I don't know what to make it holds u.u)

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Thanks for the comments, I was thinking that maybe nobody would reply, so thanks :)

I know that Snorlax is a beast on GSC, but I have 3 physical attackers (if I can count Skarmory here) and just 1 special attacker, because of this, maybe a special attacker would be better.
I'm thinking about Zapdos, some months ago I managed to catch one with good DVs (10/15/14/14/14/9), I wasn't looking for Hidden Power back on those days >_<

What do you think about Blissey? Flamethrower or Toxic?

Thanks for this one, you're right! I didn't consider that. (Now I don't know what to make it holds u.u)
It doesn't matter that you already have 3 physical attackers and only 1 special attacker, Snorlax is an absolute must on any team in Gen 2

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Use Snorlax as your 6th mon.
You could consider Forry > Heracross if you want Spikes.

Fire weakness is not really a problem when you have Blissey and Lax.

You can also consider Ice Beam > FT/Toxic in Blissey

It doesn't matter that you already have 3 physical attackers and only 1 special attacker, Snorlax is an absolute must on any team in Gen 2
Some stall teams can afford to not run Snorlax, on a more offensively-based team like this one, Snorlax is a must.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Snorlax > Blissey and Raikou as your 6th gets you a pretty standard-looking GSC team.

As others have said, you also want Spikes on a slower team like this, but you at this point you should already have added a Snorlax and a legendary Electric (i.e., Raikou). You could get Spikes through either a Forry > Heracross replacement or a Cloyster > Starmie replacement. Note that, either way, you probably want to replace Starmie with something; if you use Forry > Heracross, Forretress can use Rapid Spin to render Starmie redundant, whereas due to Heracross' departure, you might want a bulkier water like Suicune to help with Nidoking and Ground-types in general.

Okay, now I'm 95% sure of using a Snorlax, I tried the team on Showdown and I think that it worked pretty good.
Snorlax: Double-Edge / Earthqueake / Fire Blast / Self-Destruct

Quick question, do you know if this Stadium 2 tournament will be 3-on-3 or 6-on-6?
3-on-3, but the final (and maybe semifinal) will be 6-on-6.

froggy25

Bye RNGmon
is a Researcher Alumnus
Defensive mons such as Skarm usually don't work in 3vs3. I hope you're allowed to change teams between 3vs3 and 6vs6.

Defensive mons such as Skarm usually don't work in 3vs3. I hope you're allowed to change teams between 3vs3 and 6vs6.
I have that in mind ;)
On each battle we can choose 3 different Pokés, like Prime Cup on Stadium. I hope that my new team works well :)

I just need to think about the items now. I was reading the tournament rules and there's nothing said about banned items, so I think that we will see many hax items (King's Rock, Scoope Lens, BrightPowder) >_<

just use leftovers on everything and hope you don't get cheesed :)
Any item is permited, but no two Pokés with the same item.
I don't like that very much. I can almost see situations like a Snorlax with Quick Claw, Tyranitar over-flinching with King's Rock + Rock Slide or something missing two Earthquakes because of BrightPowder -.-

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Pretty sure kings rock doesn't stack with moves' flinch chances, at least it doesn't in newer gens. Leftovers is probably best to use on snorlax because it makes setting up alot easier. You can use hax items to your interest too and they will probably be more consistant than some of the berries (especially if you decide on keeping blissey in).

Thanks for all the help :)
Actually my team goes like this:

(MiracleBerry)
Rock Slide
Fire Blast
Pursuit
Roar

(???)
Megahorn
Earthquake
Counter
Curse
(PrzCureBerry)
Surf
Psychic
Rapid Spin
Recover
(Mint Berry)
Drill Peck
Curse
Whirlwind
Rest
(???)
Ice Beam
Light Screen
Heal Bell
Softboiled
(Leftovers)
Double-Edge
Earthquake
Fire Blast
Self-Destruct

I calculated that Snorlax's Self-Destruct kills almost anything, I hope I will use it correctly.

If I could ask the last thing, please help me with the held items, I don't have many experience with these >_<
I think that a MiracleBerry on Tyranitar would work great, because it's my main attacker and without Rest, I would be able to ignore the first problem status.

Thanks for everything n.n

With Item Clause, Marowak becomes rather handy.

Skarmory might consider Thief. Less useful with Item Clause on, I'll admit.

Apparently it's really easy to get Hidden Power Ice Zapdos legitimately thanks to its constant location in RBY.

Starmie isn't as good as you seem to think it is. It's great against Charizard and Tentacruel, but it only stalemates Cloyster (at best), it loses to Forretress, and it's a sitting duck for Snorlax, Zapdos and Raikou.

Consider moving your Lefties off Snorlax if it's going to run Selfdestruct. If you do spring for the aforementioned Hidden Power Ice Zapdos, it would love them.

With Item Clause, Marowak becomes rather handy.

Skarmory might consider Thief. Less useful with Item Clause on, I'll admit.

Apparently it's really easy to get Hidden Power Ice Zapdos legitimately thanks to its constant location in RBY.

Starmie isn't as good as you seem to think it is. It's great against Charizard and Tentacruel, but it only stalemates Cloyster (at best), it loses to Forretress, and it's a sitting duck for Snorlax, Zapdos and Raikou.

Consider moving your Lefties off Snorlax if it's going to run Selfdestruct. If you do spring for the aforementioned Hidden Power Ice Zapdos, it would love them.
I was considering using a Thief Skarmory, but Curse worked great last time, would it be good idea to use MintBerry+Rest+Thief, to use it after a Rest?

Zapdos is really easy to catch, but the tournament is today. I loved the idea to include it, but I had no time, nor a RBY cartridge with a save file near to Zapdos u.u
What would you make Snorlax to hold?

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Never run items on Thief mons. Just run no item and enjoy the Lefties you steal. However, with Item Clause, Thief is a lot less effective, so I'd recommend not using Thief.

Just use a bunch of hax items for the last few. Quick Claw Curse Heracross could be funny. As could Focus Band Blissey. Starmie doesn't risk taking too many paralyzes; perhaps it'd appreciate a Scope Lens over PrzCureBerry?

Never run items on Thief mons. Just run no item and enjoy the Lefties you steal. However, with Item Clause, Thief is a lot less effective, so I'd recommend not using Thief.
Well, as I recall the idea is that you've got a Skarm that's harder to wear down with Drum shit because of the one free Rest, but then you don't lose out on Lefties in the long run because lol Thief. Used to be the standard Skarmory set; probably still better than what the Smogon analysis claims standard except in the specific case of a stall using Tyranitar, Rhydon or non-Psong Gengar. I mean, how often does Skarm actually benefit from Curse (particularly now that we've got the 66% implemented and it doesn't speedtie Lax at -1)? It's hardwalled by Electrics, and defensive setup is only worthwhile vs. last-Poke shit or Machamp.

As I said myself, though, with Item Clause it's nowhere near as good.
Focus Band on Reversal Heracross can be funny.

Deleted User 108547

Banned deucer.
Hi, I'm a little late, but an item that anybody has mentioned is berserk gene. In tournaments with the item clause seems a good option for mons like Dragonite or Nidoking. Anyway, how was the tournament, did you win? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)