Generation Showdown [Online Competition] Finished!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
REGISTER NOW
must be logged into the PGL

click image to go to the official announcement

Regulations said:
In the Generation Showdown Online Competition, players duel in epic battles using virtually any known Pokémon! The Generation Showdown is a Double Battle event, and any Pokémon in your party higher than Lv. 50 will be set to Lv. 50 for the duration of the match. Each team will be able to have up to two special Pokémon, such as Legendary or Mythical Pokémon.

Sign-Up Period
Thursday, February 5, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, February 12, 2015, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, February 13, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, February 15, 2015, at 23:59 UTC

Participant Limit
50,000 (limit subject to change; first come, first served)

Participation Gift
Qualified participants will receive 1,000 Poké Miles, which can be used at the PokéMileage Club on the Pokémon Global Link. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least one battle.

Age Divisions
Junior/Senior Division: Born 2000 or later
Masters Division: Born 1999 or earlier
• Junior Division players are limited to playing between 6 a.m. and 11 p.m., based on the eastern-most time zone in each player’s country.

Ranking Results Announcement
Friday, February 20, 2015 (announcement time subject to change)

Compatible Games
Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire

Competition Rules
• This competition uses Double Battle format.
• Players may use Pokémon with National Pokédex number 1 through 719, with the exception of the following: Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect, and Diancie.
• Players can register a maximum of two Pokémon to the Battle Box from the following list: Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-Oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, and Zygarde.
• Pokémon brought over from Pokémon Black, Pokémon White, Pokémon Black 2, or Pokémon White 2 via Poké Transporter may participate in this competition.
• Register 4–6 of your Lv. 1–100 Pokémon to your Battle Box.
• All Pokémon above Lv. 50 in this competition will automatically become Lv. 50 for the duration of each match.
• Only four of the Pokémon you register to your Battle Box can be used during each match.
• A 30-minute time limit for each match will automatically be enforced in-game, beginning at the start of each battle. If the outcome has not been determined when the time limit expires, the game will automatically apply tiebreakers to determine a winner.
• At the beginning of each battle, players have 90 seconds to select four Pokémon with which to battle.
• At the beginning of each turn, players have 60 seconds to select a move or change the Pokémon in battle. If a player has not made his or her selections at the end of this period, the game will automatically make selections for the player.
• Players may battle up to 10 games per day of the competition. Any unplayed games will carry over to the following day. A new day begins at 00:00 UTC.
• For additional details, please come back to check the competition’s regulations page when registration opens.

Participation Requirements
• A Pokémon Trainer Club membership
• A wireless Internet connection
• A Pokémon Omega Ruby or Pokémon Alpha Sapphire game with a Game Sync ID registered in the Pokémon Global Link (PGL)
• The birth date you have registered in your Pokémon Trainer Club account will determine the age division in which you play. If it’s discovered during the competition that your birth-date information is incorrect, you may be disqualified from the competition and future competitions.
~ tl;dr ~
  • Double battles
  • Levels capped at level 50. Anything higher will go down, anything lower will stay the same
  • Max 2 Box Legends allowed, Event Legends are banned
  • Played only on ORAS, not XY
  • TRANSFERS ARE ALLOWED

We all know that Rayquaza broke Ubers and created 'Anything Goes' with its Mega Evolution in singles, how powerful will it be in Doubles?

Last edited:

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So is this basically "battle of legends: singles edition"?
Yes, but also had both Primals and Mega Rayquaza to the mix and suddenly it looks very different indeed... I feel like Scarf Garchomp will be fairly strong in this meta as it can outspeed and Outrage Mega Ray and also clean up Primal Groudon with some prior damage. With the variety of legendaries made available in OR/AS, things like Ho-oh and Giratina will most likely see a lot more use here due to their greater availability.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh hell yes! Regardless of wether or not its gonna be Singles or Doubles, I'm glad we can play with our Uber toys soon =)

If it's doubles, I'm pretty interested in trying out Mega Rayquaza with Togekiss. The cool part about this is that Delta Stream removes any weaknesses Togekiss used to share with Mega Rayquaza. Meanwhile, any dragon attacks aimed at Mega Rayquaza will be sucked in by Togekiss's Follow Me! The main thing I feel this combination would have to watch out for is Xerneas, who can totally bypass this is if people who use Scarf Xerneas, who can bypass Follow Me by using Dazzling Gleam, and outspeed Mega Rayquaza's Dragon Ascent.

Oh also, I will be cloning Mega Rayquaza if any of yall need one, so don't worry about soft reseting for that unless you don't want a Jolly one =)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
On Serebii's main page it says it's going to be Doubles but on the actual competition page it says Singles. I think this may be some confusion on their part because they are using an image from the PGL for the Special Season 8 announcement (berries only, double battles) so they may have reported doubles by accident. There's no confirmation either way yet so I'll post that information when it comes, but for now I think they've messed up and written Doubles on the home page because they've used the wrong image...

Either way, revenge killing Mega Ray is going to suck. If it's singles and you want to try Scarf Chomp like ethan06 suggested, you're going to have to pray to RNGsus:

+2, 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 174-205 (95 - 112%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Chomp needs 116 Def EVs to save itself from the OHKO on the SD set, which only allows 142 EVs I attack, but that still gets the OHKO back. But if you're going that route you may as well run Focus Sash on Chomp which gets the same result but allows max attack investment...

+2, 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 116 Def Garchomp: 155-182 (84.6 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

142 Atk Garchomp Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Rayquaza: 188-224 (104.4 - 124.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I guess the only saving grace is that I haven't seen a +attack natured, pentagon Rayquaza here or anywhere yet. Of course, the M-Ray user can just run Dragon Dance instead and straight up outspeed and OHKO with Dragon Ascent:

+1, 252 Atk Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 265-313 (144.8 - 171%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I'm looking through defensive options and there just aren't any. It really does look like Sash Chomp is the most reliable revenge killer. What's worse is that GF has banned one of the better Ray checks in Arceus. You may think Prankster Burn might be a cool option, but Sableye can't even stomach a +2 burned Dragon Ascent, not to mention that Ray can instead go for a Lum Berry to aid setup (hey it works on Dragonite). Salamence may not have been the threat I thought it would have been in Battle of Hoenn but there's no way I'm wrong about this being Ray's meta...

Also yeah, Ray + Follow Me 'Kiss is a brutal combo in Doubles :(

edit: calcs done at level 50 because Battle Spot...

edit 2: damn skype trying to jump on my calcs

Last edited:

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Did the rules mention Pentagon-only, or can Pokemon from Gen III-V be used?

I assume the former, but if we can use previous Gen Pokemon, I'm totally gonna use my live battery abused Primal Groudon from Ruby. :D

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Did the rules mention Pentagon-only, or can Pokemon from Gen III-V be used?

I assume the former, but if we can use previous Gen Pokemon, I'm totally gonna use my live battery abused Primal Groudon from Ruby. :D
There's no mentioning of that rule so far, but since it's being played on Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire then it's safe to assume it's pentagon only :( Transfer 'mons have not been allowed in any ORAS meta, XY allows them but this competition appears to be for ORAS only. They've probably chosen this format so kids can play with all the new legendaries available through Mirage Spots...

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Assuming this is singles

One lazy build I'm thinking of right now is Wobbuffet/Swagkey/MRay/PDon/Ditto/Sash something. Ditto just seems super strong in this format considering the strength of the offensive threats provided and is also a way to sort of bypass the 2 uber limit. Swagkey + Ditto is also pretty rage inducing, and so is Wobb + Key. Wobb + Ray is pretty obvious. PDon is just one of the most versatile mons ever and I can see it covering a bunch of things in this limited format, and can provide SR for Ray to batter Sashes with.

Also if this is Pentagon only there's no Multiscale Lugia to tank a hit from boosted Rayquaza.

Alternatively I'll consider using mega mence > mray and save the Uber slot for something else like Geoxern.

Free Arceus ;_;

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Assuming this is singles

One lazy build I'm thinking of right now is Wobbuffet/Swagkey/MRay/PDon/Ditto/Sash something. Ditto just seems super strong in this format considering the strength of the offensive threats provided and is also a way to sort of bypass the 2 uber limit. Swagkey + Ditto is also pretty rage inducing, and so is Wobb + Key. Wobb + Ray is pretty obvious. PDon is just one of the most versatile mons ever and I can see it covering a bunch of things in this limited format, and can provide SR for Ray to batter Sashes with.

Also if this is Pentagon only there's no Multiscale Lugia to tank a hit from boosted Rayquaza.

Alternatively I'll consider using mega mence > mray and save the Uber slot for something else like Geoxern.

Free Arceus ;_;
I was doing calcs for both Wob and Ditto while writing my last post and the conclusion I came to was that Ray just overwhelms them. The mindgames that the Wobbuffet player has to endure are crazy. If you Encore and they opt to attack then you've just lost Wobbuffet to a 2HKO, if you Counter and they Swords Dance then Wob is getting OHKO'd... But that's OK because you've got Scarf Ditto right? It turns out not, +2 Jolly Ray can OHKO an Imposter Ditto / Ray with Extreme Speed. While the Imposing Ditto can OHKO with Dragon Ascent, it risks being OHKO'd before doing so. Maybe Sash Ditto would be better, can tank the hit that Ray goes for and can can OHKO back. It doesn't necessarily need a Scarf anyway since most Ray will have Extreme Speed for you to click if the opposing Pokemon has a priority move to pick you off from 1HP (otherwise spam Dragon Ascent obviously). If you can pull if off, a SwagKey lead will probably be best. I would lead with Reflect so you can survive Earthquake, then Swagger until it's either killed you or itself. Worse case scenario then is dying to a crit Earthquake on turn 1 / Ray has Flamethrower or Fire Blast Ditto coming in and copying Ray at +2 if it hasn't gone for a Swords / Dragon Dance yet.

I've been thinking more about Counter strats but the fact that Ray can be mixed means it's somewhat unreliable. Metal Burst alleviates the guesswork but is limited to Aggron (+ Sturdy could work) and Dialga, who may as well just hit it with Draco Meteor. Speaking of whom, Dialga seems like a great check to Ray now that I'm looking at it. He resists all moves except Earthquake, which he survives from a +2 Ray (with max HP). Modest max SpA OHKOs Ray with Dragon Pulse, or you can go for a more defensive set and still OHKO with uninvested Draco Meteor. So yeah I might have to play around with that.

There's no word on what level this is being played at, or if anything below that level will remain the same. Sand + Endeavor Aron could be a fun last resort...

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
■対戦ルール
【バトル形式】
ダブルバトル

Confirming that this is doubles.

Just dropping this idea

Groudon @ Red Orb
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch / Fire Blast / Eruption
- Protect

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
- Skill Swap
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind / Ice Beam
- Psychic / Trick Room / Gravity

EVs and stuff tbd but Cress and PDon seem to be such an amazing pairing. Cresselia can utilize Skill Swap in a number of ways, but its primary use would be to reactivate Desolate Land to override any Primordial Sea or Delta Stream and keeping Groudon's immunity to Water intact. Its other use would be to give Primal Groudon Levitate - if Desolate Land remains on the field somewhere (probably on Cress), Groudon will have no weaknesses while still wielding numerous resistances and 2 immunities, making it an absolute terror. The rest of Cress' moves are just some support stuff.

Groudon can terrorize most of Cresselia's checks, such as Aegislash and Tyranitar (watch out for yveltal), while Cresselia's Ice attack can threaten Mega Salamence and Mega Rayquaza (provided that you get rid of Delta Stream), two things that can give Groudon issues.

Gravity is also an option but that disables your Levitate so take care.

Last edited:
■対戦ルール
【バトル形式】
ダブルバトル

Confirming that this is doubles.

Just dropping this idea

Groudon @ Red Orb
- Precipice Blades
- Rock Slide
- Fire Punch / Fire Blast / Eruption
- Protect

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
- Skill Swap
- Helping Hand
- Icy Wind / Ice Beam
- Psychic / Trick Room / Gravity

EVs and stuff tbd but Cress and PDon seem to be such an amazing pairing. Cresselia can utilize Skill Swap in a number of ways, but its primary use would be to reactivate Desolate Land to override any Primordial Sea or Delta Stream and keeping Groudon's immunity to Water intact. Its other use would be to give Primal Groudon Levitate - if Desolate Land remains on the field somewhere (probably on Cress), Groudon will have no weaknesses while still wielding numerous resistances and 2 immunities, making it an absolute terror. The rest of Cress' moves are just some support stuff.

Groudon can terrorize most of Cresselia's checks, such as Aegislash and Tyranitar (watch out for yveltal), while Cresselia's Ice attack can threaten Mega Salamence and Mega Rayquaza (provided that you get rid of Delta Stream), two things that can give Groudon issues.

Gravity is also an option but that disables your Levitate so take care.
I might take primal groudon and add it with mega kang+geoxern.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think it's worth noting that having Rayquaza essentially isn't a factor when you're picking a mega, as it doesn't need to waste it's item slot to evolve and Rayquaza is still ridiculously powerful either way. It also still gets value from Air Lock in beating P-Groudon with Aqua Tail.

I'm glad it's doubles, mega-ray in singles is stupidly broken. I do have a good one, do I will use it.

Anyone know if soul dew is legal? I feel like it should be, but don't want to bank on it.

Dang, now I wish I'd gotten OR instead of AS so that I'd be able to abuse PDon. But I'll instead try to find a way to abuse Primal Kyogre. Unlike Groudon, Kyogre's signature move gets STAB, the weather boost, and it comes off Kyogre's outrageous 180 SpA... it will be hitting things really hard. Could also pair well with something that appreciates the Fire immunity, but I'm not quite sure what yet.

any word on if we need to catch/hatch in gen vi? I have an unused heart gold on which I can RNG a Mewtwo and a Rayquaza and I really don't want to start over on any of my gen vi games.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
It said gen 5 stuff was allowed. IDK about the rest
Where did it say this?

any word on if we need to catch/hatch in gen vi? I have an unused heart gold on which I can RNG a Mewtwo and a Rayquaza and I really don't want to start over on any of my gen vi games.
There's no info on it yet (afaik). The ORAS version will be Pentagon only. If it's played on XY as well then that ladder will allow transfers but it's not looking like XY will be part of this competition at the moment.

Where did it say this?

There's no info on it yet (afaik). The ORAS version will be Pentagon only. If it's played on XY as well then that ladder will allow transfers but it's not looking like XY will be part of this competition at the moment.
※ 3DS download software using the "Pokemuba", DS software "Pokemon Black White Black 2 • The Pokemon that was brought from the White 2 ", you will be able to be used as it is. ★ For more information, please check the regulation page to be published at a later date.

I can't read japanese, but that is what translate gave me. So I think it may mean you can use gen 4 and 3 stuff too. But gen 5 should be able to be used

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
※ 3DS download software using the "Pokemuba", DS software "Pokemon Black White Black 2 • The Pokemon that was brought from the White 2 ", you will be able to be used as it is. ★ For more information, please check the regulation page to be published at a later date.

I can't read japanese, but that is what translate gave me. So I think it may mean you can use gen 4 and 3 stuff too. But gen 5 should be able to be used
I've tried googling this and the only information / mentioning of 'Pokemuba' is the original advertisement for Pokemon Transporter with Pokebank. So if it's saying you can use Pokemon Transporter to send stuff through and use them in this tournament then it would mean it isn't Pentagon only. I'm not making any conclusions yet though until it is announced on the English website. Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can find out for us (tagging DragonWhale because I believe he can).

edit: did some simple Googling and Bulbapedia are reporting that it is going to be Doubles and anything from Gen V and upwards are allowed (probably since BW2 has a large range of legendaries), which means nothing from Gen IV or lower for you RNGers

Bulbapedia said:
Players are allowed to use Pokémon that were Poké Transportedfrom the Generation V games. Pokémon must be registered in the Battle Box on the PC. Pokémon will be set to level 50.
I guess stuff that originated in Gen V will be given a temporary pentagon just for this. This is good because hidden abilities like Multiscale Lugia and Regenerator Ho-oh are allowed after all!

I've tried googling this and the only information / mentioning of 'Pokemuba' is the original advertisement for Pokemon Transporter with Pokebank. So if it's saying you can use Pokemon Transporter to send stuff through and use them in this tournament then it would mean it isn't Pentagon only. I'm not making any conclusions yet though until it is announced on the English website. Perhaps someone who reads Japanese can find out for us (tagging DragonWhale because I believe he can).

edit: did some simple Googling and Bulbapedia are reporting that it is going to be Doubles and anything from Gen V and upwards are allowed (probably since BW2 has a large range of legendaries), which means nothing from Gen IV or lower for you RNGers

I guess stuff that originated in Gen V will be given a temporary pentagon just for this. This is good because hidden abilities like Multiscale Lugia and Regenerator Ho-oh are allowed after all!
Bulba doesn't mention anything about gen v and up.
"Players are allowed to use Pokémon that were Poké Transportedfrom the Generation V games." You can transfer pokes from gen iv to gen v and then poketransport them to gen vi.
Yay I can spend hours figuring out RNG :]

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Bulba doesn't mention anything about gen v and up.
"Players are allowed to use Pokémon that were Poké Transportedfrom the Generation V games." You can transfer pokes from gen iv to gen v and then poketransport them to gen vi.
Yay I can spend hours figuring out RNG :]
Yeah actually I think I read that too literally. Perhaps you can transfer things from gen III and IV through gen V to use them. Either way I'd love to get an announcement on the English PGL so we know for sure instead of a bunch of translations haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)