Battle of Hoenn [Online Competition] - Finished! Erebyssial Wins!

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
This seems really odd to me, to delay the registration and now include Japan but not Korea, and also give Japan a pretty dope entry prize! What's weirder is that it's the Battle of Hoenn competition, why are they getting a Kalos 'mon with its hidden ability? It's also being reported that the Tyrunt being given away has Rock Head and not Sturdy (its actual HA). It could just be confusion between it and Tyrantrum (does have Rock Head as HA) but it's pretty shaky reporting going on, even if it is Serebii who's doing it...
Yeah, it's an error on PGL's part.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
This seems really odd to me, to delay the registration and now include Japan but not Korea, and also give Japan a pretty dope entry prize! What's weirder is that it's the Battle of Hoenn competition, why are they getting a Kalos 'mon with its hidden ability? It's also being reported that the Tyrunt being given away has Rock Head and not Sturdy (its actual HA). It could just be confusion between it and Tyrantrum (does have Rock Head as HA) but it's pretty shaky reporting going on, even if it is Serebii who's doing it...
It wouldn't be the first time PGL fucked up

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So when does this go live. Thought I missed the sign ups this morning.
You haven't missed sign ups, they were delayed by 24 hours, probably due to the maintenance going on with the PGL... They last a week anyway so don't stress out. Assuming the competition isn't also delayed 24 hours it should start on Friday, January 23 at 00:00 UTC and go until Sunday, January 25, 23:59 UTC

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Theorymon would it be possible for you to get a direct link to the signup page? I would do it myself but I don't have an ORAS game registered and it's not possible on the XY version of the site. I'll add the link to the OP if you can

I also read on Serebi that you get a Rock Head Tyrunt. I'm probably not going to do well, due to lacking any decent 5IV Fire or Ground types that are in the Hoenn Pokedex.

But then, getting my ass kicked will be worth it to get Tyrunt's hidden ability.

I also read on Serebi that you get a Rock Head Tyrunt. I'm probably not going to do well, due to lacking any decent 5IV Fire or Ground types that are in the Hoenn Pokedex.

But then, getting my ass kicked will be worth it to get Tyrunt's hidden ability.
I thought that was Japan only.

Hmm. Looking forward to playing this event and spamming Max bulk Mega Salamence. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't exactly play by Smogon rules. I'm looking for some other team members other than Blaziken, Gyarados, Metagross, And Salamence(max bulk for this tournament). what other pokemon are viable, other than Sableye, Swampert, and scept lie?

Also, rate my current team. Blaziken and Salamence I don't really want to change their movesets, but tell me what could be better:

Salamence@Salamencite
252 Hp/4Def/252 Sp. Def
  • Facade
  • DD
  • Earthquake
  • Roost
Blaziken@Blazikenite
80 Hp/252Atk/176 Spd

• Fire Punch (No recoil)
  • Rock Slide
  • Protect
  • Low Kick
Metagross@Metagrossite
252 Atk/4 Sp. Def/252 Spd

• Bullet Punch
  • Meteor Mash
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Earthquake

This compete is going to be interesting for sure, as Greninja, Talonflame, and Slowbro can't be used. Which means that a lot of bird bait is free to spam whatever.

Okay, looking for someone to poke holes in my team before it's locked in, natures, EVs movesets and even replacement pokemon are all fair game as I can breed everything I need very quickly,

Mega Altaria; Adamant, 4HP/252 Att/252 Spe; DD, EQ, Return, Roost

Mega Aggron; Adamant, 252 HP/240 SpDef/16 Att; Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, EQ, Iron Head

Magnezone@Choice Scarf; Timid, 4HP/252 SpAtt/252 Spe; Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, HP Fire, Flash Cannon

Donphan@Leftovers; Adamant, 126 HP/252 Att/126 Spe; Head Smash, Ice Shard, Play Rough, EQ

Azumarill@Assault Vest; Adamant, 240 HP/252 Att/16 Def

Mega Pinsir; Jolly, 4HP/252 Att/252 Spe; Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Quick Attack, Superpower

Other options I'm considering are Scarfed Moxie Salamence, LO Manectric, Sash Technician Breloom and Unaware Clefable.

T
Hmm. Looking forward to playing this event and spamming Max bulk Mega Salamence. I don't mean to offend anyone, but I don't exactly play by Smogon rules. I'm looking for some other team members other than Blaziken, Gyarados, Metagross, And Salamence(max bulk for this tournament). what other pokemon are viable, other than Sableye, Swampert, and scept lie?

Also, rate my current team. Blaziken and Salamence I don't really want to change their movesets, but tell me what could be better:

Salamence@Salamencite
252 Hp/4Def/252 Sp. Def
  • Facade
  • DD
  • Earthquake
  • Roost
Blaziken@Blazikenite
80 Hp/252Atk/176 Spd

• Fire Punch (No recoil)
  • Rock Slide
  • Protect
  • Low Kick
Metagross@Metagrossite

• Bullet Punch
  • Meteor Mash
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Earthquake

This compete is going to be interesting for sure, as Greninja, Talonflame, and Slowbro can't be used. Which means that a lot of bird bait is free to spam whatever.
Three Megas why?

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Sure thing. Just note, I'm not sure the link will work unless you are signed in. http://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4020/
Yeah I got redirected to the home page. They do make it pretty tricky to register though, I remember having to click on about 5 links to get to the registering page in past competitions.

Salamence@Salamencite
252 Hp/4Def/252 Sp. Def
  • Facade
  • DD
  • Earthquake
  • Roost
Blaziken@Blazikenite
80 Hp/252Atk/176 Spd

• Fire Punch (No recoil)
  • Rock Slide
  • Protect
  • Low Kick
Metagross@Metagrossite

• Bullet Punch
  • Meteor Mash
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Earthquake

Why only three team members? And why all megas?

Facade 'Mence looks cool on paper as a way to capitalize on Sableye's Will-O-Wisp but it leaves you at the mercy of Sash Breloom which has been giving me headaches with Spore + Rock Tomb. I was running Sub on mine so maybe you could run that instead of Roost? Or maybe even Sleep Talk.

No recoil from Fire Punch on Blaziken sounds good and all, but the power difference between that and Flare Blitz is very noticeable, especially since you're not running Swords Dance. The only time I would say that Fire Punch is better is if you're running a Focus Sash set. Rock Slide is ok but I would consider swapping it for Knock Off

Rocking two inaccurate (STAB) moves on Metagross is asking for trouble since one miss can spell doom in 3v3. I would be tempted to swap Meteor Mash for Iron Head. Ice Punch is also a really good option which could replace Zen Headbutt.

Okay, looking for someone to poke holes in my team before it's locked in, natures, EVs movesets and even replacement pokemon are all fair game as I can breed everything I need very quickly,

Mega Aggron; Adamant, 252 HP/240 SpDef/16 Att; Thunder Punch, Ice Punch, EQ, Iron Head

Magnezone@Choice Scarf; Timid, 4HP/252 SpAtt/252 Spe; Volt Switch, Thunderbolt, HP Fire, Flash Cannon

Donphan@Leftovers; Adamant, 126 HP/252 Att/126 Spe; Head Smash, Ice Shard, Play Rough, EQ

Mega Pinsir; Jolly, 4HP/252 Att/252 Spe; Swords Dance, X-Scissor, Quick Attack, Superpower

Other options I'm considering are Scarfed Moxie Salamence, LO Manectric, Sash Technician Breloom and Unaware Clefable.
Another 3 mega team, interesting. Altaria looks fine to me... So does Aggron

I'm not sure I like Scarf 'Zone. Is it Magnet Pull or Sturdy? The only relevant steel type to trap and hit with HP Fire is Metagross, but it doesn't even 2HKO so unless it's under 50% health it's going to kill you with Earthquake. I would probably prefer HP Ice and Sturdy for Sal

The Donphan build is interesting, could you explain it a bit morel? Leftovers won't get a lot of mileage in this comp, and you're running Head Smash anyway (which doesn't synergise well with Sturdy). It looks like you're really scared of Dragon and/or Flying types with that moveset

Knowing Azumarill's moves would be helpful...

I haven't even considered Mega Pinsir in this meta. It struggles hard against 'Mence. Not sure what it's actually meant to kill tbh (needs explaining)

Another 3 mega team, interesting. Altaria looks fine to me... So does Aggron

I'm not sure I like Scarf 'Zone. Is it Magnet Pull or Sturdy? The only relevant steel type to trap and hit with HP Fire is Metagross, but it doesn't even 2HKO so unless it's under 50% health it's going to kill you with Earthquake. I would probably prefer HP Ice and Sturdy for Sal

The Donphan build is interesting, could you explain it a bit morel? Leftovers won't get a lot of mileage in this comp, and you're running Head Smash anyway (which doesn't synergise well with Sturdy). It looks like you're really scared of Dragon and/or Flying types with that moveset

Knowing Azumarill's moves would be helpful...

I haven't even considered Mega Pinsir in this meta. It struggles hard against 'Mence. Not sure what it's actually meant to kill tbh (needs explaining)
The 3 Mega thing is to give me options vs other megas; Altaria and Aggron deal fairly well with both Salamence and Mawile and in mirror matchups T-Punch on Aggron is incase I see a Gyarados, Pinsir deals with Gallade, Heracross, other Pinsirs, Absol. I expect it'll probably bee the member that sees least use on my team and is most likely to be replaced if I can think of something better.

The Azumarill is running Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Play Rough and Ice Punch which is pretty standard for Assault Vest as a Belly Drum set is probably too risky.

Sturdy is good on Donphan is because I've actually replaced Head Smash with Counter since yesterday and as the only other option is Sand Veil it offered no real benefit anyways, I figure that if I screw up and let a Salamance or Mawile set up on me that I could Counter them to get rid of the threat ASAP. I guess a pinch berry could work with this set too if I can get my hands on a Liechi somewhere....

Magnezone is running sturdy too as without the likes of Scizor to trap it seemed pointless but I needed something that can create some momentum for me and also bait EQs to get Altaria in safely for a setup. I have a HP Ice version as well so I think I'll run with that.

Salamence@Salamencite
252 Hp/4Def/252 Sp. Def
  • Facade
  • DD
  • Earthquake
  • Roost
Blaziken@Blazikenite
80 Hp/252Atk/176 Spd

• Fire Punch (No recoil)
  • Rock Slide
  • Protect
  • Low Kick
Metagross@Metagrossite

• Bullet Punch
  • Meteor Mash
  • Zen Headbutt
  • Earthquake

Facade on Salamence is useless here; you're not likely to get poisoned and you still get the attack reduction from burns, go for Double-Edge or Return.

Fire Punch will cause more damage to Blaziken than Flare Blitz, thanks to the extra hits you'll take because of the damage reduction. Honestly I don't care for Mega-Blaze much, Swords Dance w/ Focus Sash has higher power with this moveset, or even Life Orb and HJK/FlareBlitz.

I don't have much experience with Metagross, an elemental punch instead of Meteor Mash/Zen Headbutt might not be a bad idea?

The big opening I immediately see on this team is Breloom; all three of Azumarill/Donphan/Magnezone get wrecked by it, and judging by your three Megas a Breloom player can assume they'll fight at least two of them. I'm not feeling Magnezone much in Battle of Hoenn, there's not many things the Scarf is helping outrun nor are there any Steels it can trap/kill aside from Skarmory.

Since you said both Aggron and Altaria are countering the same things, I'd recommend replacing one of them. Roserade is untouchable against Breloom if you're looking to patch that hole, for example.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
Facade on Salamence is useless here; you're not likely to get poisoned and you still get the attack reduction from burns, go for Double-Edge or Return.
This mechanic was changed in generation VI, Facade now ignores the attack drop from Burn

Bulbapedia: Facade said:
Generation VI
Burn's effect of lowering the Attack stat is no longer applied when using Facade.
Good advice on the rest of the stuff though

This mechanic was changed in generation VI, Facade now ignores the attack drop from Burn
Wow, didn't know that. Facade suddenly got a lot more viable in my eyes, especially since my experience laddering has seen a lot of WoW users (Sableye especially, but a couple Dusclops too) switching in on Salamence's DD to try and stop the sweep. I don't think it's worth replacing Return/Double-Edge on a normal set, but it may have a niche use here in an offense-heavy team that uses Mega-Mence to bait in Sableye and set-up on it.

Speaking of which, here are some of the Pokes that I'm thinking of entering. I'm not as prepared as many others probably are, and in fact wouldn't be entering if not for Rock Head Tyrunt, and would probably be plotting how to catch more Legendaries right now if not for that.

Anyway...

Torchie the Blaziken
Item: Blazikenite
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Blaze
Move 1: Sky Uppercut
Move 2: Brave Bird (I'm open to replacing this with something else)
Move 3: Blaze Kick (I have an intense dislike for recoil moves, though I am still open to the idea of replacing this with Flare Blitz. Torchie is not gonna be happy with me though...)
Move 4: Protect

Comet the Salamence
Item: Yache Berry (or Salamencite; didn't want to use too many Mega Stones)
Nature: Naive
Ability: Moxie
Move 1: Dragon Claw
Move 2: Hydro Pump
Move 3: Dragon Dance
Move 4: Fly (I intend to get rid of this, and replace it with Aerial Ace)

Or Sparrowmon the Latias:
Item: Latiasite (or maybe Leftovers)
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
Move 1: Recover
Move 2: Dragon Pulse
Move 3: Mist Ball (I'm probably going to replace this with either Psychic or Psyshock)
Move 4: Psycho Shift (a cool move, but I'm willing to replace it with something else if suggested)

Metagross (if used, then I'll probably not use Latias)
Item: Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Move 1: Bullet Punch
Move 2: Zen Headbutt
Move 3: Meteor Mash
Move 4: Iron Defense (though I'm open to changing this)

Cradily
Item: Quick Claw or Leftovers (if no one else is using the latter)
Nature: Careful
Ability: Storm Drain
Move 1: Rock Slide (Stone Edge just isn't accurate enough for me)
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Seed Bomb
Move 4: Stockpile

Considering that the above is open to burn, I'm thinking of maybe breeding a:
Muk:
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
Move 1: Stockpile
Move 2: Shadow Sneak
Move 3: Swallow
Move 4: Gunk Shot
This would probably cause quite a few D/C, don'tcha think?

Or I'll substitute in:

1 Up the Breloom
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Move 1: Spore
Move 2: Substitute
Move 3: Focus Punch
Move 4: Seed Bomb

I'm also breeding for a Donphan which is to have the following.
Item: Assault Vest or Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sturdy if I get lucky (I'm breeding off of a female with Sand Veil)
Move 1: Rapid Spin
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Knock Off
Move 4: Stealth Rock or Ice Shard

I also plan to breed in Head Smash and Play Rough, not that I'm likely to end up using them.

Jem the Sableye
Item: Sablenite or Leftovers
Nature: Impish
Ability: Prankster
Move 1: Zen Headbutt (I might exchange this out for Will-o-Wisp or Thunder Wave)
Move 2: Foul Play
Move 3: Shadow Sneak
Move 4: Recover

And finally:
Azumarill
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pure Power
Move 1: Play Rough
Move 2: Aqua Jet
Move 3: Belly Drum
Move 4: Waterfall

Not having many special attackers is likely going to bite me in the ass. Couldn't help but notice that.

I'm willing to follow suggestions, and change things up, or attempt to breed new Pokes that would probably work better, not that I think I have enough time to breed and raise more than one. At the very least, they could be good suggestions for future breeding projects.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
In all honesty JES, from looking at the movesets / Pokemon themselves it looks like you're just using your ingame team. Especially since you haven't provided IVs /EVs. My recommendation to everyone is to play on the simulator beforehand and not go into the competition blind. It looks like we're getting an influx of new Battle Spotters with these competitions (which is really cool!) and you can just tell that the're doing pure theorymoning without actually practicing the metagame. I've gone through your teamlist and made changes to the Pokemon you have, but I strongly recommend jumping on Pokemon Showdown to practice and find what works for you, then spend the time breeding...

Torchie the Blaziken
Item: Blazikenite
Ability: Blaze Speed Boost
Move 1: Sky Uppercut Low Kick
Move 2: Brave Bird Knock Off
Move 3: Blaze Kick Flare Blitz
Move 4: Protect

Don't worry about longevity in 3v3, just hit hard and die. Ditch your Blaze Blaziken and breed yourself a nice Speed Boost one. Since you have multiple Megas, you can bring Blaze with them and not mega evolve but still get the speed boosts

Comet the Salamence
Item: Yache Berry Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Move 1: Dragon Claw
Move 2: Hydro Pump Earthquake
Move 3: Dragon Dance Outrage
Move 4: Fly Fire Blast

Having Fly on the moveset was a dead giveaway to this being an in-game 'Mence (either that or you really want Flying STAB, just use Mega 'Mence if that's the case). If you're going to run Moxie it may as well be a Scarf set, otherwise get yourself an Intimidate one and go mixed wallbreaker

Or Sparrowmon the Latias:
Item: Latiasite / Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
Move 1: Recover
Move 2: Dragon Pulse
Move 3: Mist Ball Psyshock
Move 4: Psycho Shift Calm Mind

No one uses Mist Ball, it's just a lame signature move. You have a Bold Latias so might as well go Calm Mind booster

Metagross
Item: Metagrossite / Choice Band
Ability: Clear Body
Move 1: Bullet Punch
Move 2: Zen Headbutt Earthquake / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
Move 3: Meteor Mash / Iron Head
Move 4: Iron Defense Earthquake / Ice Punch / Thunder Punch

You hate recoil? Well I hate imperfect accuracy, especially when they're your STAB options. Zen Headbutt doesn't hit anything threatening in this meta so go for coverage. Iron Head is a great alternative for Meteor Mash, especially on the faster Mega Metagross as it has a better chance to flinch then Mash does to boost.

Cradily
Item: Quick Claw or Leftovers (if no one else is using the latter)
Ability: Storm Drain
Move 1: Rock Slide (Stone Edge just isn't accurate enough for me)
Move 2: Recover
Move 3: Seed Bomb
Move 4: Stockpile

Would not bother with this. If you're desperate to I would put Stealth Rock on it to break those sashes so your Blaze / 'Mence can sweep better. Would be better if it wasn't Careful because Giga Drain is better than Seed Bomb

Considering that the above is open to burn, I'm thinking of maybe breeding a:
Muk:
Item: Black Sludge
Ability: Sticky Hold
Move 1: Stockpile
Move 2: Shadow Sneak
Move 3: Swallow
Move 4: Gunk Shot

This would probably cause quite a few D/C, don'tcha think?

How would it cause disconnects?

1 Up the Breloom
Item: Toxic Orb Focus Sash
Nature: Careful Adamant/ Jolly
Ability: Poison Heal Technician
Move 1: Spore
Move 2: Substitute Rock Tomb
Move 3: Focus Punch Low Sweep / Mach Punch
Move 4: Seed Bomb Bullet Seed

The Meta is too fast / hard hitting to stall with this thing. The better thing to do is be annoying with Sash + Spore. Technician gives all the moves a boost and Rock Tomb / Low Sweep slow things down. This is literally one of the better choices in the meta at the moment.

Donphan
Item: Assault Vest or Leftovers Expert Belt / Muscle Band / Never-melt Ice
Nature: Impish Adamant
Ability: Sturdy
Move 1: Rapid Spin Ice Shard
Move 2: Earthquake
Move 3: Knock Off / Counter
Move 4: Stealth Rock / Counter

Donphan should just try to revenge with Sturdy + Ice Shard or Counter. It's the only thing it can do. If you get a free turn then lay some Rocks

Jem the Sableye
Item: Sablenite / Leftovers
Nature: Impish / Bold
Ability: Prankster
Move 1: Zen Headbutt Will-O-Wisp
Move 2: Foul Play / Dark Pulse
Move 3: Shadow Sneak Taunt / Calm Mind
Move 4: Recover

Why are you planning to use physically offensive Sableye? Just go to its strengths, ie: Prankster WoW / Taunt / Recover / being generally annoying to everything. Calm Mind + Dark Pulse work great on Mega Sableye as it can use Prankster in non-mega to cripple with WoW and set up, then evolve and kill everything.

Azumarill
Item: Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pure Power
Move 1: Play Rough
Move 2: Aqua Jet
Move 3: Belly Drum
Move 4: Waterfall

This is fine, although I'm not sure how effective it will be here. If you do run it, make sure you only run enough HP EVs so that you can activate the Sitrus Berry from a Belly Drum at full health (I think it's like 248 or something).

Not having many special attackers is likely going to bite me in the ass. Couldn't help but notice that.
Yeah you're right, especially since Intimidate from 'Mence / Mega Manectric / Gyarados / Mawile is running around like crazy at the moment
Hope I helped somewhat

In all honesty JES, from looking at the movesets / Pokemon themselves it looks like you're just using your ingame team. Especially since you haven't provided IVs /EVs. My recommendation to everyone is to play on the simulator beforehand and not go into the competition blind. It looks like we're getting an influx of new Battle Spotters with these competitions (which is really cool!) and you can just tell that the're doing pure theorymoning without actually practicing the metagame. I've gone through your teamlist and made changes to the Pokemon you have, but I strongly recommend jumping on Pokemon Showdown to practice and find what works for you, then spend the time breeding...

Hope I helped somewhat
Yeah, you've helped helped me greatly. You have given me a ton of stuff to think about and plan. I'll be sure to change the necessary changes. And you have an extremely good point about not-very-accurate move. You seem to me more of an expert in competitive battling than me, so I'll be sure to follow your advice, even the recoil moves.

I also hate locking myself into one move (hence not using Choice Items), but maybe I just suck it up, and need to give it a try. Maybe I'll try it at the Battle Maison. Looks like I'm gonna need the BP anyways to overhaul my team.

And Muk would cause quite a few D/C because trust me, he is a bitch to take down. Then again, breeding this set is hardly my priority.
I probably should think of another Special Attacker.

As for Cradily: Cradily didn't have access to Giga Drain at the time that I was breeding him. Hell, I wasn't even sure that I'd ever be able to teach one Giga Drain. Going for a physical set seemed to be the safer choice, especially considering that the only Rock STAB I could use really effectively would be Ancient Power. I'm probably going to breed for a special set in the future.

And I'd have to breed a brand new Breloom to use the Technician set. Maybe if I have the time, I'll use that over Cradily.

Giving Salamence Salamencite, and Latias Leftovers is also an option, though I get the feeling Sparrowmon will need all the power she can get.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)