2014/15 Association Football (Soccer) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Funniest part is reserve TOTY with another 2 Brazilian defenders and no Atletico players or Boateng. I guess this proves Brazil has the best defense in the world.

lol @ the above. yeah there are some wild peculiarities with the way the award is done now. the brazil thing has to be the biggest abberation. it's ludicrous! vs Germany was the worst defensive performance i've seen in my entire life. what a shambles. and as others have said atletico missing out is an utter shame considering all they achieved.

though, personally (and its not justified im sure) the thing i am most upset about is suarez lol but whatever he'll bang in a bunch of goals and get on the list again within a year or two. wonder when the next bite will be the lovable bastard

the worst ballon d'or in recent years was the year messi won it over sneijder, where the former won nothing and the latter was the lynchpin of a treble winning side and made it to the wc finals.
Like in 2013 when Ronaldo won nothing but scored goals against Sweden and got Blatter to open the voting so that he could win. Messi being injured also helped.

Messi won the league title btw and was the better player lol.

Loew winning the best manger of the year is a joke. That team would have won with any other competent manager.
Simeone and Ancelotti achieved much more than he did.
Simeone in particular achieved a modern day miracle in winning the league title and coming with seconds of a Champions league title with Atletico.
It seems to Fifa that Atletico didn't exist this year.

Like in 2013 when Ronaldo won nothing but scored goals against Sweden and got Blatter to open the voting so that he could win. Messi being injured also helped.

Messi won the league title btw and was the better player lol.
aye ronald probably shouldnt have won it that year but thats a problem w/ the way it's awarded these days

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Seriously am I the only one who feels physical hurt reading the new thread title?

Also Brazillian Defenders in TOTY, lol.

why doesnt someone just change the name of the thread to "2014/15 World Football Thread"...? nobody will be confused since the other "football" thread is NFL.

anyway, david luiz was an absolute joke to be in the world xi, and thiago silva to an extent as well.

neuer
lahm ramos godin alaba
di maria kroos james
robben messi ronaldo

would be my picks for world xi.

the thing about germany is that they have been on the cusp of winning an international competition for so many years, despite all the talent at their disposal, and low finally achieved it. they hadn't won a world cup in over 20 years. so to say that any manager could've won with this squad is a bit of an exaggeration. it was well deserved. although el cholo simeone is one of my favorite coaches, he was not winning this award, not on a WC year. not on a year when ancelotti delivered madrid the DECIMA. if simeone's team had hung on in the final minutes and clinched that 1-0 victory, he would've had a good shot...

Reactions: tml
neuer

lahm ramos godin r.rodriguez/filipe

di maria kroos modric

messi suarez ronaldo

I would consider Miranda as well, if not for his early season form Athletico wouldn't have been in a position to win anything. He was better then Godin for the first 6 months. Ramos wasn't that good for the first half of La Liga and Spain

Left Back is the weak position Luis Filipe was very good, Alaba is obviously good but his job is easy, Rodriguez was a standout in Bundesliga and also had a decent world cup as well.

Last edited:
If we're talking about strictly 2014 then I don't think Suarez should be there. He tailed off a bit after January, he was still scoring but not as much and he didn't have a great world cup or start to the season with Barca. It was 2013 when Suarez had a sensational year but he wasn't recognised that year either which was the bigger joke (although he did bite Ivanovic). Overall FIFA are a disgrace and I really would prefer if my favourite sport was not run by such a vile organisation.

Torres was given a chance, it's just he was well past it before he even moved to Chelsea because he never recovered a full range of movement after his knee injury. It stripped him of acceleration which was his biggest weapon.

But still he was unlucky because I felt like he never got the backing of his team mates from the start because he was always in the shadow of Drogba and missed some easy chances in his first games. Then the fans and eventually manager all lost faith in him and there was no coming back after that. If he had moved in the summer instead of January I think he might have had a better opportunity to get integrated into the team. But he definitely got given a chance, too much probably, when Abramovic was obviously picking the team and he was being started ahead of Drogba despite awful form and not fitting into the system at all.

i hope torres scores those two, everyone goes "is he back?!?!" and he goes 16 games without a goal. wouldn't be the first time.

edit also lmao @ toronto fc putting in jozy's profile that he weighs 175 pounds. he is fat af and is insanely heavier than that and i hate him as well.

i hope torres scores those two, everyone goes "is he back?!?!" and he goes 16 games without a goal. wouldn't be the first time.

edit also lmao @ toronto fc putting in jozy's profile that he weighs 175 pounds. he is fat af and is insanely heavier than that and i hate him as well.
Rofl, that guy is at least 200 pounds.

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Missed the game coz I was out watching The Imitation Game with my brother. Swansea were atrocious at the back but it was still our best performance so far. We need more of these. Hopefully, the Gunners will do us a solid tomorrow by sinking City.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Read an interesting article today that pointed out that the top scorers in the EPL are Aguero, Sanchez and Costa (along with Charlie Austin), the top scorers in La Liga are Messi, Neymar and Bacca (along with Ronaldo), the three top scorers in Serie A are Tevez, Higuain and Icardi and the top scorer in Portugal is the Columbian, Martinez.

Basically, what it was saying was 'South American Master Race lfgi'

To think if they had actually stuck with the better player Carzorla and spent the £40m they wasted on Ozil on say a top class centre back and a defensive midfielder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)