Other OU Player of the Week #12: Destiny Device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by me

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project
where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it!

Destiny Device

Most Known For:
Going from zero to hero in WCoP, getting a team on the RMT archive and getting to ST semis in my first year on Smogon; having a diet based on chicken nuggets for almost 3 years; putting "o.o", "oO", ":]", ";]", "n_n", "._.", ";_;" or ":[" after almost every sentence; having a terrible internet connection; being the "Electrode-dude".

Favorite Pokémon:
Mawile! n_n

Most used Pokémon:
Keldeo. You can put in a Specs Keldeo on any team (except maybe full stall teams) and it will work well. Also, you can always burn your opponent's Keldeo checks!

Where did you get your name from?
Once when I was playing on PO I saw the nickname "Echelon" and I thought it sounded cool so I started to use it (before that I used the nickname "allanrs98", which is basically my name + birth year). Signed up for some brazilian forums (see the next question for more info), eventually registered on PO because of POWC and then decided to step up and start playing at Smogon so I could play WCoP, but the name "Echelon" was already taken, so I signed up as E-ShenLong, which is how Sogeking used to call me for some reason (it's probably how he pronounced "Echelon" lol). Later I realized how horrible that nickname was and decided to change it. Then I started asking some brazilian friends for cool nicknames and papai noel came up with "Destiny Device". There wasn't really any reasoning behind it, I think. I liked it too, so I changed.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I knew Smogon since maybe Shoddy was still up. I used to look at the analyses so I could find "good strategies" to play with some friends on my Pokémon Pearl version (that was around 2009). Then I found Shoddy and I was like "WTF I can have any Pokémon I want and at lv100?! AMAZING!!!" so I started playing. I kind of sucked but at least I knew how some game mechanics worked. I joined Shoddy on the very last day of Smogon's Shoddy server (I believe BW was already out), so I started to play on some minor Shoddy servers. The server I played on died too so I started to play on PO, eventually discovering the brazilian server - BOS. After months playing on its legendary ladder with shit like Focus Sash "Ulgamoth" and Scarf "Jalorda" I discovered the "good" brazilian forum - PokéEVO - in 2011. I was then tutored informally by Sogeking. I was called up to tryout for the 2012 WCoP but I failed miserably, even using a team with Electrode + Armaldo on one of the matches. I was far from being good enough by then. Later I joined PO to play POWC 2013 but I couldn't play most of it because I had no internet, lol. I was (and I still am!) pretty shit at BW so I decided I would try to get good at XY, which is when I joined Smogon.

What's your favorite playstyle and why?
My favourite is Bulky Offense. It's great to be able to play offensively without having to take major risks all the time or having to sack stuff constantly and also having a reliable defensive backbone. I like all playstyles except for full stall, though. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing Stall, but not when I absolutely need to win. Sometimes I feel like stall is just way too "passive". You have zero field presence and your opponent can do anything he/she wants to. A good opponent will know how to shape the game so he can win, and your Chansey and Quagsire aren't going to stop him from doing exactly that.

Aside from Greninja, is there anything that stands out as suspect worth in ORAS? Why?
Mega Sableye, mostly because of the CM set. While it's far from uncounterable a well-played Sableye is borderline impossible to defeat in favourable matchup (i. e. if your opponent doesn't have a Clefable, Diancie and/or luck (i. e. Heatran needs Lava Plume to burn, everything else needs to crit)). It's suspect-worthy but probably not ban-worthy, though, since its useless sometimes and its hard to set-up against offense.

What's your favorite generation of OU and why?
6th gen. It's the one I've played the most, and I find the meta to be quite balanced and enjoyable overall. There are a lot of viable Pokémon, team archetypes and team styles and, in my opinion, team matchup is not that much of an issue most of the time and usually you can play around it, even though it may give you a disadvantage. It's also the only one I've played at "high level".

If you could change one thing from any generation of OU, what would it be and why?
Well, I wasn't around in DP and I was pretty clueless in BW, so I can't say anything about those, but I wouldn't change anything in 6th gen OU. I think it's easy to see how much XY started to improve since Genesect/Mega Lucario got banned.

Do you have any advice for people who are trying to get into big tournaments like SPL, WCoP, etc?
There are two ways: having connections and playing well. If you are really playing well and doing well in tournaments you will eventually be noticed. All captains/managers want good and cheap players. Plus, don't beg for chances. If you need to keep begging captains/managers to look at you and give you a chance, you most likely don't deserve it. Again, you will be noticed if you're playing well, so don't worry.
This is also important: It's better not to be known than being known as "that random guy who keeps posting shit on the [tournament] thread without even playing".

Do you have any advice for newer players in general? What about Smogon?
If you're still starting to play OU, playing on the ladder and reading analyses and other Smogon articles and discussion threads (also The Smog) is a good way of learning.
If you want to improve and step up your game, play with people that are better than you. If you just keep playing worse players you are not going anywhere. In fact, you will just think you're a lot better than you actually are and that will make it harder for you to improve. Watch your own losses again and try to figure out what you did wrong. Also, watch good players playing and try to understand their plays and why they're doing them (Smogon Tour is a great way to watch good players playing live!). aim's YT channel can help you a lot too. Also, don't be affraid to ask experient players for advice. I'm yet to meet a tournament player that isn't nice!
Also, jump into action! Sign up for tournaments and play. Nothing beats experience.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
No matter what others say, I really like Sogeking. While he may act like a retard on Smogon, he is actually a really nice friend and he is the player that helped me the most since I started playing. I'm good friends with many brazilian smogoners such as papai noel and Hantsuki, among others (including all of Team Brazil). I also gotta mention my fellow BIG users, whom I already like a lot even though we've been playing together for just a few weeks.
When I started to play on brazilian communities I wanted to be as good as MarceloDK and Sogeking, mostly. When I joined Smogon I looked up to Bloo (who thrashed me on my first tournament match on Smogon, lol), McMeghan, M Dragon and gr8astard among others and I still admire those players a lot.

Finally, is there a team that you can show us that reflects your playstyle and is a good fit for this Metagame?

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 224 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 92 SpD / 116 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Psychic
- Baton Pass
- Nasty Plot

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 40 Atk / 216 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick

Greninja is broken af, Celebi is useful for checking things like Lopunny, Landorus and Keldeo, Landorus-T is just too good to not be used, fast Tran is good, Specs Keldeo as usual and Pursuit Metagross helping it. Really simple and effective team. Hopefully by the time this is posted Greninja will already be banned though, so you can replace it with Tornadus-T, Magnezone or anything that can break through common balance cores.

English is not my mother tongue so it may take a while for me to answer some questions n_n

---

So there it is. If you have any questions for Destiny Device, leave them down below. I'd like to thank him for doing this, and see you next week!

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
  • What is your favorite brand of chicken nuggets?
  • Most underrated sets in OU metagame right now? Most overrated sets? Most hilarious sets you've seen so far?
  • Most underrated megas? Most overrated megas?
  • You seem to be quite the enthusiast of emoticons. Will you be using this one in the near future where I can see it in OU chat one day .-.?
  • What's your general mindset going into a higher level game? Do you prep yourself in any specific ways that you feel help your overall performance?
  • Are there any other tiers or other aspects of Smogon you would like to get involved in for the future?
  • Thoughts on Tele's general commentary?
  • Anybody under the radar we should be looking out for in terms of having potential but being unknown to the general public?

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
  • Most Underrated chicken nuggets brand?
  • Favorite sets in OU atm?
  • Will Tele ever grow up?
  • I want a nice comment: http://i.imgur.com/EzxFESX.png
  • What do you think about the fact that many new players are actually nice, as someone pointed out in SPL iirc?
  • Your favorites to win SPL? Dark Horse(a team and a player)?
grats on potw, i only have heard of you here and their so idk you much, but you seem to be a nice guy :}

• If you had the chance, would you like to tutor new players?
  • Any advice to help players, who peaked high before, but struggle all the time?
  • On a scale of 1-10, how good do you think you are at teambuilding?
  • What team got you your highest peak ever?

What is a chicken nugget? Where can I go download one of those?
Thoughts on these following pokemon: Mega Gallade, Mega Audino?
Why is your avatar a wailord?
When do you think pokemon gen 7 will come out? (which year)

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
pick to win spl this year if you cannot pick the bigs?
who is the person you were most scared to face going into a tournament battle with them?
three favorite gimmicks/innovations in the current or late xy metagame?
who is better when compared to spl level competition: you in gen 6 ou or sogeking in gen 5 ou?
which logo do you like better, the one in my avatar or the one being used in the spl thread currently?
how many times will you make me do 10s of test games consecutively? ;]

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
What's this thing about nuggets?

Also will you ever bring back that Persona-esque cute chick as your avatar?

AM said:
What is your favorite brand of chicken nuggets?
I like them all.
Most underrated sets in OU metagame right now? Most overrated sets? Most hilarious sets you've seen so far?
Pursuit Metagross, Defensive Celebi, Specially Defensive Mega Sableye, Physically Defensive Gastrodon and SD Gliscor are great and kinda uncommon and I don't find CM Mega Sableye to be such a great set. As for the most hilarious set, yesterday I faced a Scarf SR HP Ice Garchomp. Does that count?
Most underrated megas? Most overrated megas?
Mega Charizard X and Mega Gyarados are as good as ever (actually, Mega Gyarados got better) but for some reason people aren't using them, lol. Between new megas, Mega Dainsy is simply amazing but since it's rather common, I'll go with Sharpedo. I also think Clefable is a bit overrated but that doesn't mean it isn't good.
You seem to be quite the enthusiast of emoticons. Will you be using this one in the near future where I can see it in OU chat one day .-.?
Ok .-.
What's your general mindset going into a higher level game? Do you prep yourself in any specific ways that you feel help your overall performance?
I usually try to study my opponent as much as I can and find patterns within his or her teams, such as a core or playstyle. Then I build/chose a team that can have a good matchup against said cores or playstyles while not sucking against everything else. Also, I always try to use teams I'm comfortable with as I feel that can help a lot more than any counterteam or counterstyle.
Are there any other tiers or other aspects of Smogon you would like to get involved in for the future?
I'd like to start playing Doubles actively soon. It looks like a really enjoyable metagame (Dainsy looks broken though)!
Thoughts on Tele's general commentary?
When I think Tele is a troll, I find it funny. When I think Tele may actually being serious, I find it sad.
Anybody under the radar we should be looking out for in terms of having potential but being unknown to the general public?
Not many that I know of. I'd say IAmGingy/Mencemeat but they were bought for SPL, so Idk.

SparksBlade said:
Most Underrated chiken nuggets brand?
Among brazilian brands, definitely Sadia.
Favorite sets in OU atm?
Defensive Celebi, Scarf Landorus-T, Fast Taunt Heatran, Rock Polish Landorus-I and CM Mega Dainsy. These are all extremely useful in this meta and good overall.
Will Tele ever grow up?
Should he?
Tele is no human being. He is a god.
What do you think about the fact that many new players are actually nice, as someone pointed out in SPL iirc?
That's good I think. This is a Pokemon forum, why can't we all be nice? :[
Your favorites to win SPL? Dark Horse(a team and a player)?
Sharks and Ruiners are very strong and capable teams, and I think people should keep an eye on Mencemeat and the Tigers.

I_Am_A_Garchomp said:
If you had the chance, would you like to tutor new players?
Sure, why not.
Any advice to help players, who peaked high before, but struggle all the time?
Try to find more consistency. Pokemon is not all about "making plays" or predicting. Try to always calculate risk/reward and make the plays you got to do to win, analyze matchups carefully, etc. Maybe a more "strategic" approach to your matches. Also, maybe playing some more against good players could help you, too,
On a scale of 1-10, how good do you think you are at teambuilding?
6. I'm really not a good teambuilder but at least I don't suck either, I think.
What team got you your highest peak ever?
I only ladder for suspect tests, so I'm not sure. The team I like the most, however, is my RMT Avante Palestra.

BONGMASTER420 said:
Are you brown like a chicken nugget?
I'm white

firehusky said:
What is a chicken nugget? Where can I go download one of those?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_nugget
Why is your avatar a wailord?
Because of the BIGs :]
When do you think pokemon gen 7 will come out? (which year)
Pokemon Z in 2015, Gen 7 in 2016.

Finchinator said:
Pick to win spl this year if you cannot pick the bigs?
Sharks. Their old gen lineup is really really strong.
who is the person you were most scared to face going into a tournament battle with them?
I don't get scared, I get nervous and its before any big tournament match.
The one I got the most nervous was against Conflict in WCoP R1, though. If I got to win, Brazil would clinch. If I lost, we would depend on other teams AND on one last match (iIrc it was Hantsuki's or dekzeh's). Turns out I got a great matchup (in fact, I just used Brazilian sand since I couldn't play on my computer and I had no teams, lol) and got Brazil to r2 even though we lost the remaining match. I think the other results also helped (rip France). That was a huge boost to my confidence for playoffs, which must be why I didn't get scared before playing Finals and Semis.
three favorite gimmicks/innovations in the current or late xy metagame?
DD Dragon Rush Zard-Y in late XY (lol Latios and Scarf Landorus-T), Focus Blast CM Clefable in late XY/ORAS (lol Heatran) and Heal Block Latios.
who is better when compared to spl level competition: you in gen 6 ou or sogeking in gen 5 ou?
Hard one, but I think I am, because SPL BW competition is strong as fuck and nobody mastered ORAS yet. (that doesn't mean I'm better than Sogeking or that I'm an ORAS lord, though!)
which logo do you like better, the one in my avatar or the one being used in the spl thread currently?
Your avatar, obviously. Sam is a natural artist.
how many times will you make me do 10s of test games consecutively? ;
As many times as I can until SPL is over. ;]

yuruu said:
What is your record of chicken nuggets eaten in one sitting?
12 in 2011, I think. hue

Arikado said:
What's this thing about nuggets?
Back in like 2010-11-12 my parents used to work a lot, so I was usually home alone and the only thing I knew how to cook were chicken nuggets. Not a pleasant experience. :[
Also will you ever bring back that Persona-esque cute chick as your avatar?
Once we get our logo and I can put it in my signature, sure!

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
What are your tournaments goals on an individual level in term of accomplishments and how you'd like to be considered from an exterior point of view?

You own :toast:

Weren't you the one that came up with M Dragon's nickname, "Mariano"?

(not doing a shout-out for my 1,000th post)

Last edited:

Honus

magna carta
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
why'd you use cbb offense in your STour game vs mix? was hoping for some interesting teams like you had done before with avante palestra and the teams in world cup before that

great games in wcop and after btw, you were an interesting guy to watch while i trained in the mountains

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
^_^

I bought you in like five mock drafts before SPL because you rock

Will you keep playing in PO team tours despite your Smogon success?

McMeghan said:
What are your tournaments goals on an individual level in term of accomplishments and how you'd like to be considered from an exterior point of view?

You own :toast:
My main goal is to keep doing well and be considered a consistent player and not just someone who got lucky in some good tournament runs. Right now my main individual goal is to have a winning record in SPL and help the BIGs, hopefully getting that red trophy. Second comes my OST run, which I plan to reach the final stages of the tournament at least (last year I lost at like r4, rip). I'm a competitive person, so I'll always try to be the best at everything I do, even if it's very hard or plain impossible.
Also, you own more :toast:

Karxida said:
What is your favorite battle song?
If you mean pkmn music, I like Cynthia/Plasma Grunt's themes. n_n
If you mean music to hear during battles, I usually don't put in anything. Idk, I think it doesn't help my concentration.

Alfalfa said:
Weren't you the one that came up with M Dragon's nickname, "Mariano"?
Nah, people called him that way before I was around, lol!

Living So Zambian said:
why'd you use cbb offense in your STour game vs mix? was hoping for some interesting teams like you had done before with avante palestra and the teams in world cup before that

great games in wcop and after btw, you were an interesting guy to watch while i trained in the mountains
To be honest, I didn't knew it was a famous team. I asked Sogeking some days before the battle if he had a nice team I could use since I was pretty busy and couldn't find the time to build anything (also, I decided to focus my preparation on DP and BW). Then he pastebinned me a pretty cool Greninja HO that could fare really well against Mix. I asked him if it was a famous team and he said it wasn't, so I decided to use it. As soon as the battle started, everybody was bashing me on the chat and I was like "?_?". Turns out that Sogeking's version also had a fucking Adamant Scarf Landorus-T which almost made me lose to Charizard-X, lol (Idk if it was a Jolly Zard, though). That also happened against ShakeItUp on the next round: I got a team from The DragonKnight and the day before the match I sent it to Sogeking to see if I could optimize any EV spreads or something. Turns out he fucked up my Hawlucha's EVs and my Sitrus Berry didn't activate after 2 Subs (which also caused the people on the chat to bash me), lol. Thankfully that didn't change anything on the battle. I'm glad that happened though, if it wasn't for that I would probably still be relying on "Sogeking's" teams today.
In my opinion a good team should be used no matter who built it, but man using such well-known teams is stupid, specially when they are actually worse versions (ADAMANT LANDORUS-T).

Isa said:
^_^

I bought you in like five mock drafts before SPL because you rock

Will you keep playing in PO team tours despite your Smogon success?
Naw, you rock :toast:
Yeah, I will still play major PO tournaments (part of me wants to win POT after I lost in finals :[) but not tournaments with crazy rules like lol Viability Tournament and stuff like that. Also, I plan on being Brazil's captain next POWC since Hantsuki doesn't want to and also playing the next POCL.

HANTSUKI

satan saves xmas
is a Pre-Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RUPL Champion
Why do I have to be tagged?
Why is there a random fake AM and he's mod wtf?
What's your favourite SOAD song?
Will you sell all your nuggets to go to their Rock in Rio concert (and run away from home since you're 12)?
McMeghan played his SPL week 1 match before Sunday. Do you think aliens kidnapped him and put someone else in his place?
Royal Flush did the same, so is Bigs a team of aliens now? Or the manager Funkasaurus has a good no-johns policy?
Do you think papai noel is able to beat the in-game Elite 4?
Will Tamahome be able to win a finals match this year?
Will Dekzeh hit a decisive Stone Edge in his life?
How many new underwears KratosMana had to buy after his WCoP matches?
Did you have to buy any as well?
Should Sand Castle die for doing well in Frontier and being a papai noel in WCoP?
Can Brazil win POWC sometime or we can change our name to Team Elodin?
Do you like McDonald's nuggets?
Are you bald?
Should I stay or should I go?
Also, give me an idea for a team so I'll try to build again... o_o

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
Thoughts on Brazil losing their trademark move, T-Wave, to the Mexicans?

Rate FM15 from 1-10. Is it a better game than Pokemon?

Reactions: pj

WECAMEASROMANS

Banned deucer.
Cant believe you got your own POTW, good job m8!

1. What are your thoughts on the stall playstyle?
2. What are some of the most underrated yet solid XY OU battlers? Underrated as in like, not drafted in SPL or w/e.
3. Thoughts on Mega Sableye and Mega Metagross?
4. Since you don't ladder at all, what do you consider the most effective way to test your teams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)