Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to use this thing on a Trick Room team. Whether it be Band, Life Orb or even Expert Belt this thing is gonna be amazing in Trick Room.

I can't wait to use this thing on a Trick Room team. Whether it be Band, Life Orb or even Expert Belt this thing is gonna be amazing in Trick Room.
Tyrantrum is too fast for a TR team. It outspeeds a lot of walls naturally as well. Really, mons with speed in the 70's shouldn't go TR. Dragalge would be better for TR.

Tyrantrum is too fast for a TR team. It outspeeds a lot of walls naturally as well. Really, mons with speed in the 70's shouldn't go TR. Dragalge would be better for TR.
Conkeldurr
Ferrothorn
Mega Sableye
Slowbro

These are the only things in OU that Brave Tyrantrum fails to outspeed in Trick Room. Of them Dragalge is slower than Slowbro and Conk, but still faster than Sableye and Ferrothorn.

Tyrantrum has a highly spammable STAB that even resists have difficulty switching in on (Keldeo takes 65% minimum, Lucario is 2HKOed despite a 4x resist). Dragalge is cool and has a more reliable Draco Meteor but it gets at best one kill before it has to switch, effectively wasting the Trick Room (TR, switch, Draco Meteor, switch... 4 turns of TR for one attack?). Of course you can always run both on the same team.

Oh and Band Tyrantrum OHKOs Scarf Landorus-T after SR. lol

Something that just popped into my head.

If (and this is a big if) DD still proves a viable Tyrantrum set in OU with Rock Head, would Hard Stone/Stone Plate have any viability as an item? Most of the time, he'd be clicking Head Smash anyway, since if you choose coverage, it's usually to hit a SE target, which off a boosted 121 is still considerable

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 283-335 (94 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
welp.
Guess I kinda underestimated this thing.
On the subject of Mega T-tar replacement
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 274-324 (91 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Something that just popped into my head.

If (and this is a big if) DD still proves a viable Tyrantrum set in OU with Rock Head, would Hard Stone/Stone Plate have any viability as an item? Most of the time, he'd be clicking Head Smash anyway, since if you choose coverage, it's usually to hit a SE target, which off a boosted 121 is still considerable
Hardly any, considering the Life Orb exists. It's a stronger boost to all moves, and the recoil shouldn't matter much if there's nothing left in the game to counter it or Mach/Bullet/Sucker Punch it.

+1 252+ Tyrantrum is outsped by Lopectric anyway -- Tyrant reaches 397, Lopectric reaches 405. Incidentally, this speed ties with +1 252+ Mega T-tar and is outsped by Adamant/Modest Aero/Zam. It can't afford to run Adamant, as you said, because if so it's an extremely slow dancer.
Honestly if those are the reasons to run Jolly than I would have to say running Adamant is the better choice. It outspeeds base mons like Starmie, Raikou, and Serperior after a DD if Tyrantrum runs Adamant and since Greninja's gone I feel like the new benchmark to fear is outspeeding the base 111's like Thundurus. Aside from that I guess being outsped by Weavile is the only thing that makes me cringe a little.

Have M-Beedrill and M-Sceptile been running neutral or boosting speed natures? If M-Sceptile runs a neutral speed nature mostly than the choice of Jolly Ty would be pretty tempting.

Last edited:
Have M-Beedrill and M-Sceptile been running neutral or boosting speed natures? If M-Sceptile runs a neutral speed nature mostly than the choice of Jolly Ty would be pretty tempting.
I think Beedrill sometimes runs Adamant, but for the most part good players will put on the +speed natures.

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 283-335 (94 - 111.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
welp.
Guess I kinda underestimated this thing.
On the subject of Mega T-tar replacement
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Metagross: 274-324 (91 - 107.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
I don't think tyrantrum will have any trouble sweeping since if it carries a life orb it out damages mega ttar
i mean look at the difference between their respective stabs
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 291-343 (72 - 84.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 452-534 (111.8 - 132.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
the multiplier is roughly 1.5 times damage
has any one considederd rock polish it doesn't do as much damage as dragon dance but after a single boost it out speeds every non scarfer not named doexys s if it's adament
and scarfers up to possitive nature 97
and a 112 neutral
i'm fairly certain most scarfers fall into the range
i see it working simlurarly to mega sharpedo
252+ Atk Life Orb Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 333-394 (82.4 - 97.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Strong Jaw Sharpedo Crunch vs. (normal type)252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 228-268 (56.4 - 66.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
it even out classes a mega sharpedos crunch if it holds an item that boosts it
252 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
i think it could work well to clean after every thing have been worn down

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
After doing a few calcs, Tyrantrum is looking pretty enticing as a new team member. Though I don't see why people are using Crunch. A Supereffective Crunch is still less powerful than a neutral STAB Head Smash.

After doing a few calcs, Tyrantrum is looking pretty enticing as a new team member. Though I don't see why people are using Crunch. A Supereffective Crunch is still less powerful than a neutral STAB Head Smash.
You should only use Crunch with Strong Jaw. And if you're using Strong Jaw, well... you're not using Tyrantrum right. Recoilless Head Smash is it's niche.

Crunch hits Bronzong, but it's about the only thing it does, as Earthquake hits Jirachi harder, and stabs hit everything else harder too.

I never really understood why he never did well before even without recoilless head smash
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Crunch vs. (normal)252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 243-286 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. (normal252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
with strong jaw it effectivly had stab on crunch and with life orb it out damages tyranitar not factoring in the weather

but recoiless headsmash straight up out classes stab crunch

I never really understood why he never did well before even without recoilless head smash
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Strong Jaw Tyrantrum Crunch vs. (normal)252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 243-286 (60.1 - 70.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Mega Tyranitar Crunch vs. (normal252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 234-276 (57.9 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage
with strong jaw it effectivly had stab on crunch and with life orb it out damages tyranitar not factoring in the weather

but recoiless headsmash straight up out classes stab crunch
It basically needed the ridiculous power of Head Smash, otherwise it's outclassed by every other D-dancer.

While Tyrantrum certainly has... decent bulk for a wallbreaker/sweeper/cleaner/whatever this thing's going to be, it doesn't have the sort of tankiness most AV users do - AV is usually complemented by very high HP, Defence and at least one high offensive stat with offensive moves that provide utility in addition to power, with a moderate Special Defence stat. For instance, Conkeldurr works well in this role due to the aforementioned factors and having Drain Punch for healing. Tyrantrum just does not have the defences or sustainability to work with an Assault Vest and hence this just becomes a case of sticking AV on anything random.

edit: what the shit happened to my text

it special defense isn't that low it also gets's a couple good utility style moves to use in dragon tale and brick break
it is actually pretty bulky even if it lacks any recovery.
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 308-366 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 195-231 (53.1 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 330-393 (89.9 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
and those are the premire special offensive mons.
248/248 is to survive scarf latios's draco meteor so you can phase it with dragon tail murder or murder it with head smash

maybe a set that looks like
tyrantrum@assultVest
Nature: adamant/carefull
Ability:rock head
IVs HP 248/atk 12/spd 248
headSmash
Dragon tail
ironhead/earthquake/icefang/fire fang/poison fang/brickbreak/superpower

head smash is for power
dragon tail is to phase out things like mega sabelye
poison fang is for the threat of poison
everything else is for coverage
i don't know how well it would work but it could be a viable user
if nothing else it does this
+6 252+ SpA Sableye Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 286-337 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
12 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def MegaSableye: 159-187 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
there is always that
it would technacly win if it goes for wow on turn one then hits you with dark pulse or recovers but still

it special defense isn't that low it also gets's a couple good utility style moves to use in dragon tale and brick break
it is actually pretty bulky even if it lacks any recovery.
252 SpA Latios Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 308-366 (83.9 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 195-231 (53.1 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 248 SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 330-393 (89.9 - 107%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO
and those are the premire special offensive mons.
248/248 is to survive scarf latios's draco meteor so you can phase it with dragon tail murder or murder it with head smash

maybe a set that looks like
tyrantrum@assultVest
Nature: adamant/carefull
Ability:rock head
IVs HP 248/atk 12/spd 248
headSmash
Dragon tail

head smash is for power
dragon tail is to phase out things like mega sabelye
poison fang is for the threat of poison
everything else is for coverage
i don't know how well it would work but it could be a viable user
if nothing else it does this
+6 252+ SpA Sableye Dark Pulse vs. 248 HP / 248+ SpD Assault Vest Tyrantrum: 286-337 (77.9 - 91.8%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
12 Atk Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 252 HP / 0 Def MegaSableye: 159-187 (52.3 - 61.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
there is always that
it would technacly win if it goes for wow on turn one then hits you with dark pulse or recovers but still
If you're using that then I dunno why you're running Tyrantrum lol. There are far better users of Assault Vest like as I mentioned, Conkeldurr which just does this a thousand times better, while Tyrantrum just has better things to do than this. Use this if you want I guess, but I don't see it being viable.

I think a Lum Berry is a very tempting item to consider. It let's it set up in the face of Talonflame, Sableye, Rotom-W and Heatran without worry of a burn, and getting to +2 is obviously better than +1 with a Life Orb. With that considered an Admant nature becomes affordable and you can put more EVs into HP.

Tyrantrum@Lum Berry
Rock Head
Adamant 112 HP / 252 At / 144 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

At +2 you outspeed M-Aerodactyl, so that's about as high as you need to be. After Stone/Ground coverage, no other coverage moves really help bypass any certain walls. Outrage is necessary to get past Hippowdon and Chesnaught at +2 for example. Otherwise, Head Smash is almost universally your best move. Lum Berry also benefits you by curing Outrage confusion if you still have it.

Alternatively, if you really want to outrun base 110 tier at +1 than you need a spread of 32 HP / 252 At / 224 Spd with an Adamant nature.

I think a Lum Berry is a very tempting item to consider. It let's it set up in the face of Talonflame, Sableye, Rotom-W and Heatran without worry of a burn, and getting to +2 is obviously better than +1 with a Life Orb. With that considered an Admant nature becomes affordable and you can put more EVs into HP.

Tyrantrum@Lum Berry
Rock Head
Adamant 112 HP / 252 At / 144 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

At +2 you outspeed M-Aerodactyl, so that's about as high as you need to be. After Stone/Ground coverage, no other coverage moves really help bypass any certain walls. Outrage is necessary to get past Hippowdon and Chesnaught at +2 for example. Otherwise, Head Smash is almost universally your best move. Lum Berry also benefits you by curing Outrage confusion if you still have it.

Alternatively, if you really want to outrun base 110 tier at +1 than you need a spread of 32 HP / 252 At / 224 Spd with an Adamant nature.
I'd say being able to outrun the Base 110 tier is important since that has essentially become the new "standard" for offense with Metagross, Gallade, Diancie, and the still present Latis.

While Tyrantrum certainly has... decent bulk for a wallbreaker/sweeper/cleaner/whatever this thing's going to be, it doesn't have the sort of tankiness most AV users do - AV is usually complemented by very high HP, Defence and at least one high offensive stat with offensive moves that provide utility in addition to power, with a moderate Special Defence stat. For instance, Conkeldurr works well in this role due to the aforementioned factors and having Drain Punch for healing. Tyrantrum just does not have the defences or sustainability to work with an Assault Vest and hence this just becomes a case of sticking AV on anything random.

edit: what the shit happened to my text
Just for the hell of it, Tyrantrum might be ran beside a sand setter like T-tar or Hippowdon so it gets a SpD boost as is plus an AV boost would actually make it pretty bulky on both sides. Hippowdon would probably be the best choice to pair it with since the two T-Rex's share 4 weaknesses.

Just for the hell of it, Tyrantrum might be ran beside a sand setter like T-tar or Hippowdon so it gets a SpD boost as is plus an AV boost would actually make it pretty bulky on both sides. Hippowdon would probably be the best choice to pair it with since the two T-Rex's share 4 weaknesses.
That seems extremely finicky to set up and best used on T-Tar itself.

Do we even know if tyrantrum IS getting rock head?

All I'm seeing is Tyrunt getting rock head.. tyrunt's hidden ability is sturdy not rock head so it's very possible it's evolution is getting something different or because that's not HA just one of it's regular abilities.

This was something that just bothered me after seeing a ton of discussion on something actually not even confirmed.

Do we even know if tyrantrum IS getting rock head?

All I'm seeing is Tyrunt getting rock head.. tyrunt's hidden ability is sturdy not rock head so it's very possible it's evolution is getting something different or because that's not HA just one of it's regular abilities.

This was something that just bothered me after seeing a ton of discussion on something actually not even confirmed.
Through the coding we know Tyrunt has Sturdy as it's HA and Tyrantrum has Rock Head as it's HA. Game Freak have confirmed that we're getting HA Tyrunt. Do the tiniest bit of research next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)