Aerodactyl

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Aerodactyl is one of the fastest viable Tailwind users in the metagame as well as one of the few viable Wide Guard users. Aerodactyl distinguishes itself from other Tailwind users with its unique set of support options and its high Speed, with, for example, Wide Guard allowing it to set up Tailwind more reliably against Landorus-T, which threatens most setters with Rock Slide. Aerodactyl's Speed can allow it to outrun Shaymin-S, which Aerodactyl can actually threaten out, so Aerodactyl will never be stopped by a flinch from Air Slash when trying to set up Tailwind. Aerodactyl is also one of the only viable Tailwind users that can OHKO Mega Charizard Y without a damage-boosting item. Aerodactyl is able to disrupt hyper offensive teams really well due to its access to a fast Tailwind as well as Sky Drop. However, Aerodactyl is weak to many common attacking types, and this, combined with its mediocre defenses, makes it very reliant on its Focus Sash. Aerodactyl is also very vulnerable to speed control; Thundurus, in particular, can immobilize Aerodactyl with Prankster Thunder Wave, leaving it slow and vulnerable. Aerodactyl's typing also makes it weak to Icy Wind, which will cripple Aerodactyl immensely, as its Speed is one of its selling points. Aerodactyl also doesn't fit as easily onto most teams as other Tailwind users, such as Togekiss, and it is also very weak to rain teams.

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Rock Slide / Stone Edge
move 2: Tailwind
move 3: Wide Guard / Taunt / Sky Drop
move 4: Protect / Taunt / Sky Drop
item: Focus Sash
ability: Unnerve
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Rock Slide can be used to aim for flinches and bypass redirection, while Stone Edge allows Aerodactyl to reliably check Mega Charizard Y in case it is paired with a Wide Guard user. Stone Edge's higher power can allow Aerodactyl to OHKO Pokemon such as Rotom-H and pick off frailer threats such as Mega Gardevoir. Tailwind allows Aerodactyl, and potentially its partner, to outrun the entire unboosted metagame. Wide Guard protects against spread moves such as Rock Slide. Taunt can be used to shut down opposing status moves, such as Tailwind, Trick Room, Will-O-Wisp, Protect, and setup moves. Sky Drop disrupts the foe and can protect Aerodactyl's partner for a turn or allow it to double target a foe once it lands. Protect stalls out opposing Tailwind or Trick Room and allows Aerodactyl to scout for Fake Out.

Set Details
========

Aerodactyl has very mediocre defenses, so it is not beneficial to invest into them at all. Maximum Speed EVs with a Jolly nature ensure that Aerodactyl is the fastest it can be so that it can set up Tailwind. Maximum Attack EVs allow Aerodactyl to hit as hard as possible without hindering its Speed. Focus Sash is the preferred item because Aerodactyl is very frail, meaning most super effective hits will OHKO it. Unnerve allows Aerodactyl to stop Berries, such as the common Sitrus Berry, which is crucial to many bulky support Pokemon, from activating.

Usage Tips
========

Aerodactyl works great as a lead, as a first-turn Tailwind applies massive pressure to the opposing team. Aerodactyl should not be switched into attacks due to its terrible bulk and the potential for its Focus Sash to be broken. Aerodactyl should use Sky Drop to give its partner an easier time of setting up or when it needs to disrupt a Pokemon. Sky Drop also allows Aerodactyl's partner to ignore the effects of Rage Powder and Follow Me, but you must keep in mind that Sky Drop will fail against Pokemon weighing 200 kg or more. Don't fall victim to using Tailwind needlessly; only use it when needed. Thanks to Aerodactyl's great Speed and access to Tailwind and Rock Slide, it works really well with its partner for a late-game cleanup.

Team Options
========

Powerful Pokemon that aren't particularly fast, such as Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Charizard Y, Mega Gardevoir, Sylveon, and Landorus, are great partners for Aerodactyl, as they benefit greatly from Tailwind. Mega Kangaskhan is especially good due to its Fake Out support increasing Aerodactyl's chances of setting up Tailwind. Aerodactyl's Sky Drop support can allow Mega Kangaskhan to set up Power-Up Punch more easily by removing a threat; Aerodactyl's Unnerve can also allow Mega Kangaskhan to KO Pokemon that have been EVed to survive a Return or Double-Edge with Sitrus Berry activating in between hits. Setup sweepers, such as Mega Kangaskhan and Azumarill, generally are good partners with Aerodactyl because Aerodactyl can use Sky Drop to remove a threat to the setup sweeper, allowing it to set up more easily. Many Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Heatran, are great partners for Aerodactyl, as they benefit greatly from Aerodactyl's Wide Guard support and ability to check Fire-types. Heatran can cover most of Aerodactyl's weaknesses and shares only one weakness. Heatran also greatly appreciates Tailwind and Wide Guard support. Offensive Lightningrod users, such as Mega Manectric prior to Mega Evolving, help to draw in Electric-type attacks aimed at Aerodactyl. Landorus is a great partner for Aerodactyl, as it is a great attacker under Tailwind and is able to check opposing Landorus-T and Steel-types, which threaten Aerodactyl.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Mega Aerodactyl can be used, but it is very outclassed, and the only reason it should be used is for its insane Speed. Earthquake can be used to hit Steel-types such as Heatran, while Aerial Ace is another STAB option for Grass-types should Aerodactyl choose not to use Sky Drop. Stealth Rock is an option to disrupt Mega Charizard Y and Talonflame. Life Orb or Mental Herb are alternative item choices, but Focus Sash is usually preferred. Iron Head is an option to hit Rock-types, most notably Mega Diancie.

Checks and Counters
=================

**Speed**: While Aerodactyl naturally outspeeds nearly the entire unboosted metagame, anything that can outspeed it can usually bring it down to its Focus Sash. Weather sweepers, such as Ludicolo in rain, Excadrill in sand, and Venusaur in sun, can outspeed Aerodactyl when their respective weathers are up and bring it down to its Focus Sash. Common Choice Scarf users, such as Landorus-T, can outspeed Aerodactyl and threaten to bring it down to its Focus Sash. Priority moves, most notably Aqua Jet from Azumarill, can also bring Aerodactyl down to its Focus Sash. Deoxys-A, a common Pokemon that actually outspeeds Aerodactyl, can deal massive damage to it with Ice Beam.

**Speed Control**: Paralysis completely cripples Aerodactyl. Icy Wind also cripples Aerodactyl by hitting it super effectively and lowering its Speed. Trick Room checkmates Aerodactyl because it is so fast and doesn't have the bulk to withstand multiple hits if Trick Room goes up.

**Typing Advantage**: Because Aerodactyl is so frail, most super effective hits will either OHKO it or do massive damage. Rotom-W, one of Aerodactyl's biggest checks, can easily OHKO it with Hydro Pump or Thunderbolt. Bulky Water-types in general, such as Azumarill and Suicune, can easily OHKO Aerodactyl. Steel-types such as Ferrothorn, Aegislash, and Mega Metagross can counter Aerodactyl pretty nicely, as they are able to take its attacks with relative ease and force it out with a Steel-type move; Aegislash, in particular, has access to Wide Guard, which can prevent Aerodactyl from damaging the foe with Rock Slide. Aerodactyl can, however, run Taunt to prevent Aegislash from using Wide Guard, Substitute, and King's Shield.

**Intimidate and Burns**: Aerodactyl hits decently hard, but if it gets burned or Intimidated, its damage output goes down immensely, and it has no way of boosting it back up except by switching if Intimidated. Intimidate users, such as Landorus-T and Mawile, can easily switch in and threaten Aerodactyl. Pokemon such as Rotom-W can also threaten Aerodactyl with a burn or outright OHKO it.

Last edited:
I would do something like this as the main set:

Offensive Support
########
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash

Im iffy on keeping the mega set just because there are so many better megas that should be used, but it's Speed is the only reason I might use it.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
I would do something like this as the main set:

Offensive Support
########
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb / Focus Sash

Im iffy on keeping the mega set just because there are so many better megas that should be used, but it's Speed is the only reason I might use it.
Alright, should i just add on the mega attacker set that it's outclassed and you should only use it for speed?

Overview:
  • Nice, Rock-type STAB and decent Attack
  • Many common weaknesses
Moves:
  • "Rock Slide can be used to fish for flinches as well as letting it to beat common Tailwind Pokemon like Togekiss and Zapdos" Stone Edge beats these things way better. Rock Slide is preferred for spread damage + flinchas
  • Stone Edge is WAY stronger than Rock Slide in Dubs. Also the accuracy isn't much worse than Rock Slide so that's not really a reason to run RS over SE. Specify that Stone Edge actually KO's stuff like Rotom-H and can pick of frailer threats such as Mega Gardevoir with a bit of passive damage.
Usage Tips:
  • It shouldn't spam Rock Slide. All of it's moves have uses just as important as rock slide.
  • It should only really specify as a lead if it has Taunt. Otherwise it should be saved for spread attackers (with Wide Guard) or whenever a setup sweeper is out as it's partner (with Sky Drop)
  • Specify that Sky Drop gives the partner a safer shot at setting up.
Team Options:
  • Specify the first bullet Pokemon appreciate Tailwind.
  • Put more Steel-type Partners because they appreciate Fire-types being gone + Wide Guard support
Other Options:
  • Take out the support mega aerodactyl mention cause no
  • EQ for Steels
  • aerial ace
  • Stealth Rock to fuck up zard Y and Talonbird
Checks & Counters:
  • Trick Room belongs in Speed Control
  • Burn doesn't belong in speed control it belongs in burns
  • List Specific Intimidate + Burn mons
  • Don't list EQ hits Aegi cause it's not on the set
  • Steel-types like Ferrothorn, Scizor, Mawile, Metagross
  • Bulky Waters like Azumarill, Suicune
  • Rotom-W would just hydro pump it wouldn't use wow or electroweb (which it never uses anyway)

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview:
  • Fast Tailwind and Sky Drop make Aero able to disrupt hyper offence teams well
  • Faces competition from Mega Diancie as a fast Rock spread user
  • Threatened by opposing speed control as its speed is one of its selling points, particularly Thundurus as it can use Prankster Thunder Wave to slow Aero down, leaving it slow and vulnerable. Also has a type weakness to Icy Wind aswell as the speed drop
  • Very weak to rain
Moves
  • Mention Protect can be used to stall opposing Tailwind / Trick Room

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
Overview:
  • Fast Tailwind and Sky Drop make Aero able to disrupt hyper offence teams well
  • Faces competition from Mega Diancie as a fast Rock spread user
  • Threatened by opposing speed control as its speed is one of its selling points, particularly Thundurus as it can use Prankster Thunder Wave to slow Aero down, leaving it slow and vulnerable. Also has a type weakness to Icy Wind aswell as the speed drop
  • Very weak to rain
Moves
  • Mention Protect can be used to stall opposing Tailwind / Trick Room
Updated, sorry it took a while

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
brief am check here im qc now, tag me once you implement this and i'll look it over + give you 2/3
i've actually used (mega) aerodactyl a bit, so hopefully i can give you some helpful input.
sky drop is super fun to use too

Overview
  • i would mention aerodactyl's speed tier not only as a positive attribute on its own but also its niche over diancie.
  • its speed tier lets it get the jump on other speedy offensive threats like skymin or darkrai
Set
  • definitely slash focus sash before life orb. you're running a support set before an offensive one and you only have 1 or 2 attacks anyway
Usage Tips
  • i think that, instead of saying that it works best as a lead when you're using taunt, that it just works well as a lead in general. as a tailwind setter, it's not like you're going to use this thing like zapdos and switch in to attacks, like you've said.
Team Options
  • landorus-i, in particular, gets rid of the landogs that threaten aerodactyl and is otherwise a very nice attacker under tailwind

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Shouldn't Focus Sash be slashed before Life Orb? This set seems to be more supportive with Tailwind and Wide Guard moreso than dishing out damage with its STAB move. Sash can generate an additional free turn for Aerodactyl to support its teammates.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
brief am check here im qc now, tag me once you implement this and i'll look it over + give you 2/3
i've actually used (mega) aerodactyl a bit, so hopefully i can give you some helpful input.
sky drop is super fun to use too

Overview
  • i would mention aerodactyl's speed tier not only as a positive attribute on its own but also its niche over diancie.
  • its speed tier lets it get the jump on other speedy offensive threats like skymin or darkrai
Set
  • definitely slash focus sash before life orb. you're running a support set before an offensive one and you only have 1 or 2 attacks anyway
Usage Tips
  • i think that, instead of saying that it works best as a lead when you're using taunt, that it just works well as a lead in general. as a tailwind setter, it's not like you're going to use this thing like zapdos and switch in to attacks, like you've said.
Team Options
  • landorus-i, in particular, gets rid of the landogs that threaten aerodactyl and is otherwise a very nice attacker under tailwind
Implemented, sorry that it took a while, I just got home. I also added some set up sweepers to the list of Team Options since it was looking a little too short haha.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
To answer the q about Focus Sash raised by Pocket, as far as I'm aware, it should be the ONLY item, not just the first slash. I'm not an expert about Aero by any means. But I can't think of situations where I would want anything but Sash anyway. Maaaybe Mental Herb.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
To answer the q about Focus Sash raised by Pocket, as far as I'm aware, it should be the ONLY item, not just the first slash. I'm not an expert about Aero by any means. But I can't think of situations where I would want anything but Sash anyway. Maaaybe Mental Herb.
Gotcha, I'll put it into OO

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
just a few more things:
  • in your checks & counters, replace **Miscellaneous** and instead put **Opposing Weather** since the only thing you're talking about in that point is rain
  • in that same point, mention that aerodactyl gets bopped by exca in sand, and that residual damage from sand or hail breaks its sash
  • remove life orb, just have focus sash
  • mental herb & life orb in OO since focus sash is more broadly useful than either of those
after you do this its 2/3 from me.
my first approval as a qc member! go me

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
just a few more things:
  • in your checks & counters, replace **Miscellaneous** and instead put **Opposing Weather** since the only thing you're talking about in that point is rain
  • in that same point, mention that aerodactyl gets bopped by exca in sand, and that residual damage from sand or hail breaks its sash
  • remove life orb, just have focus sash
  • mental herb & life orb in OO since focus sash is more broadly useful than either of those
after you do this its 2/3 from me.
my first approval as a qc member! go me
Implemented, thanks for check. I'll have it written up tonight since I have to go somewhere pretty soon.

Bughouse

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If the problem with opposing weather is the speed boost and the Pokemon receiving the analysis isn't itself receiving any sort of speed boost from its own weather, it's probably best to just class the weather sweepers all under the "Speed" tag

Should be something like "While Aerodactyl naturally outspeeds nearly the entire unboosted metagame...." and then mention weather sweepers, scarfers, and Aqua Jet from Azumarill, as well as the one common that actually does outrun it, Deoxys-A.

Bughouse

OH! Before I forget to mention it when check 3 comes in...

Kanga quite enjoys Aero as a teammate because of Unnerve. It means that mons that EV to live Return/DEdge with Sitrus activating in between hits just die due to the lack of activation.

Bughouse

The reason for Stone Edge is not really power. It's almost purely to make sure Aerodactyl can hit Charizard-Y, et al when they're paired with a Wide Guard user, while Rock Slide is to get around Follow Me.

In general I'm not sure the reason to use Aerodactyl is coming across right. It has access to a unique range of moves. It's the only viable user of both Tailwind and Wide Guard. And this is important. Tailwind users tend to be Flying-types. Scarf Lando-T can easily prevent them from setting up Tailwind by spamming Rock Slide. Aerodactyl, by virtue of having Wide Guard, keeps Lando-T away and can safely set up its Tailwinds, without having to sacrifice itself like Talonflame would.

Expounding a bit more... Heck, it's one of very few viable Wide Guard users period. And along with Mew it's the only Pokemon I would somewhat routinely see run Sky Drop too. Its speed does matter too, for sure, as along with Crobat and Talonflame, it's a Tailwind user that outruns Skymin and so won't ever be stopped by a flinch (and can threaten it out beforehand too). The Rock-typing comes in handy too - It's the only viable Tailwind user that can OHKO Char-Y without using a damage boosting item.

Aerodactly has a small supportive niche because of its moveset and so comparing it to Mega Diancie in the overview, for example, is really misleading imo.

Aegislash badly needs to be in C&C (although you can note Taunt preventing King's Shield and Sub/Wide Guard).

I also think some more specificity should be given to Mega Aerodactyl in the OO, as I don't think Mega Aero should be running the same set as this Aero here. I believe Audiosurfer has used Mega Aero before. Got a good set in mind?

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
The reason for Stone Edge is not really power. It's almost purely to make sure Aerodactyl can hit Charizard-Y, et al when they're paired with a Wide Guard user, while Rock Slide is to get around Follow Me.

In general I'm not sure the reason to use Aerodactyl is coming across right. It has access to a unique range of moves. It's the only viable user of both Tailwind and Wide Guard. And this is important. Tailwind users tend to be Flying-types. Scarf Lando-T can easily prevent them from setting up Tailwind by spamming Rock Slide. Aerodactyl, by virtue of having Wide Guard, keeps Lando-T away and can safely set up its Tailwinds, without having to sacrifice itself like Talonflame would.

Expounding a bit more... Heck, it's one of very few viable Wide Guard users period. And along with Mew it's the only Pokemon I would somewhat routinely see run Sky Drop too. Its speed does matter too, for sure, as along with Crobat and Talonflame, it's a Tailwind user that outruns Skymin and so won't ever be stopped by a flinch (and can threaten it out beforehand too). The Rock-typing comes in handy too - It's the only viable Tailwind user that can OHKO Char-Y without using a damage boosting item.

Aerodactly has a small supportive niche because of its moveset and so comparing it to Mega Diancie in the overview, for example, is really misleading imo.

Aegislash badly needs to be in C&C (although you can note Taunt preventing King's Shield and Sub/Wide Guard).

I also think some more specificity should be given to Mega Aerodactyl in the OO, as I don't think Mega Aero should be running the same set as this Aero here. I believe Audiosurfer has used Mega Aero before. Got a good set in mind?
Implemented, I added the things you mentioned into the overview and Aegislash into C&C as well as removing the comparison to Mega Diancie. I didn't really add much to the Mega Aero in OO since I wasn't sure what set to run; I have an idea but i'll just wait for other QC members lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)