Battle of Hoenn [Online Competition] - Finished! Erebyssial Wins!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, you've helped helped me greatly. You have given me a ton of stuff to think about and plan. I'll be sure to change the necessary changes. And you have an extremely good point about not-very-accurate move. You seem to me more of an expert in competitive battling than me, so I'll be sure to follow your advice, even the recoil moves.

I also hate locking myself into one move (hence not using Choice Items), but maybe I just suck it up, and need to give it a try. Maybe I'll try it at the Battle Maison. Looks like I'm gonna need the BP anyways to overhaul my team.

And Muk would cause quite a few D/C because trust me, he is a bitch to take down. Then again, breeding this set is hardly my priority.
I probably should think of another Special Attacker.

As for Cradily: Cradily didn't have access to Giga Drain at the time that I was breeding him. Hell, I wasn't even sure that I'd ever be able to teach one Giga Drain. Going for a physical set seemed to be the safer choice, especially considering that the only Rock STAB I could use really effectively would be Ancient Power. I'm probably going to breed for a special set in the future.

And I'd have to breed a brand new Breloom to use the Technician set. Maybe if I have the time, I'll use that over Cradily.
Ha, you're too kind.

Being locked into a move with a Choice item can be problematic, and you need to weigh up your options before mindlessly clicking the best move. Using Salamence as an example, Outrage would normally be the best option since it's crazy strong and you're locking yourself into whatever move you chose anyway, so why would it matter if you're stuck using Outrage? You can't switch after using Outrage so if your opponent brings out something that you can't hurt with it (Mega Altaria / Metagross etc.) so sometimes Dragon Claw would be better. Same with Earthquake, they may have a Flying type / levitator in the back so maybe you could just opt for Dragon Claw / Outrage instead to guaranteed some damage on the next Pokemon. Of course a Scarf isn't necessary on the Moxie set, but I do like it.

I think Muk's weakness to Ground type moves makes him less bulky than you think he is, since Earthquake is a common move in the meta. Stockpile + Swallow is a terrible combo, you may as well just use Rest if you want the instant recovery, at least that way you don't lose your boosts.

Giga Drain is a level up move for Cradily in ORAS so there's no issue of learning it. Also, just because a Pokemon has dual-STAB options doesn't mean you have to run them. Cradily would be fine with just Giga Drain and 3 support moves.

And yeah Breloom is really good so I would definitely use it over Cradily anyway... You mentioned the Maison in your post, it may not be the best for true battling experience (because the AI isn't so smart) but it does help you realise type disadvantages that your team has so I do recommend playing around in there!

I meant that I wish that I knew that Cradily was going to learn it in ORAS. I breed mine way before the release for my playthrough. If I knew that, I probably would've gone more for a special set. I can't use Special Attacks on my current set, with the nature that I currently have. I think that I might've been given one though. I think I'd prefer that over Breloom, seeing as how I already have Blaziken, and I don't like having two of the same types.

What really sucks about Gen III is the lack of variety of Fire types.

I'm shocked there's not alot of talk about Swift Swimmers in this metagame.
With all having about few to none counters in this metagame. Easily paired with a fast rain setter in the form of Volbeat, Illuminise, crobat, Sabeleye, starmie, and probably more. What are your opinions on rain in this battle competition?

EDIT: On that note what in this metagame is stopping a Specs Kingdra in rain?!

Last edited:
I'm shocked there's not alot of talk about Swift Swimmers in this metagame.
With all having about few to none counters in this metagame. Easily paired with a fast rain setter in the form of Volbeat, Illuminise, crobat, Sabeleye, starmie, and probably more. What are your opinions on rain in this battle competition?

EDIT: On that note what in this metagame is stopping a Specs Kingdra in rain?!
Using a precious turn to set up Rain in a 3v3 fast paced meta is dicey. M-swampert maybe could pull it off but with the constant M-Salamence threat Kingdra and Ludicolo are too vulnerable to try it.

Using a precious turn to set up Rain in a 3v3 fast paced meta is dicey. M-swampert maybe could pull it off but with the constant M-Salamence threat Kingdra and Ludicolo are too vulnerable to try it.
If opponent leads with M-Salamence, Sableye as a rain-setter can scare if off with a Will-O-Wisp. Starmie can also work as it outspeeds before it mega evolves with an Ice Beam. Also note that while, Kingdra outspeeds M-Salamence after 1 DD, it won't be able to after 2 DD.

Nicest part about this fast paced 3v3 metagame is that you can set up rain once with Damp Rock and sweep with 2 sweepers. depending on the match up. Since there are no real special walls/tanks in this metagame, M-Swampert might not even be needed. For Rain Setters you're looking at:

Starmie @ Damp Rock
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/ Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Crobat @ Damp Rock
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Rain Dance
Volbeat @ Damp Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk/ 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Rain Dance
- thunder wave

Sabeleye @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spdef/ 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will O wisp
- Rain Dance
- Foul Play

Okay, so I haven't posted on this site in years, but as this seems like the only active thread in the community giving out good advice for this meta, I was wondering if you hardened competitive battlers good help me out with my team. I'm trying not to use the ridiculously OP pokes like Salamence and Metagross, as I simply don't find it fun. Hopefully you can tell me if my slightly more niche Pokemon are still viable in this meta.

Corundum (Rhyperior) (M) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
One possible option to lead, and/or Salamence counter.

Hyneman (Walrein) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 220 Def / 56 SpA
Bold Nature
- Super Fang
- Brine
- Frost Breath
- Toxic
Wallbreaker and honestly just one of my favourites I've been wanting an excuse to use for years.

Volta (Manectric) (F) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
Seems like M-Manectric fits well into this meta. Hitting hard, jumping out, then coming in and hitting hard again with a lot of powerful type coverage.

Ludo (Ludicolo) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
My go-to Breloom counter for this meta. Absorbs Spore, and Ice Beams him in the face. Hopefully outspeeding him too, if Tentacruel has had a chance to Rain Dance.

Gatling (Heracross) (F) @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed (thinking of replacing with Aerial Ace as I lack an answer to strong fighting types such as Machamp and other Heracross)
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
I think Hera and Manectric work well as mega options as they both have alternate roles if they don't mega (electric absorption, or status absorption) and cover a huge range of types, so I would just select whichever covered the opponents threats best.

Nemo (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Rain Dance
Other lead option, with added possibility of RD-ing for Ludicolo or its own regeneration if it's granted that long to live.

So yeah. Manectric (with HP-Ice), Heracross, and Rhyperior are already bred and good to go, but I have a stockpile of Reset Bags if I've blundered too hard. I know Walrein is sadly probably the weakest link, but I'm not sure what to replace him with if I really have to.

Last edited:
Kachaenk my Metagross just won me a battle against Nita the Battle Chatelaine, and my Cradily did a pretty good job cleaning up any remaining Pokemon when I knocked out or weakened all of the others. I'm starting to become convinced again that maybe Cradily is good for cleaning up any remaining Pokemon when all of my other Pokemon have been knocked out, so long as I knock out any Steel or Fighting types first.
I'm probably going to replace Meteor Mash with Iron Head, but I need Zen Headbutt for Fighting types. I'll probably replace Iron Defense with Earthquake or an elemental punch move.
The good news is that I even have a Special Lileep that I'm raising right now. Now I just need to decide if I should keep Ancient Power for the STAB, or just put in Earth Power.

Nicest part about this fast paced 3v3 metagame is that you can set up rain once with Damp Rock and sweep with 2 sweepers. depending on the match up. Since there are no real special walls/tanks in this metagame, M-Swampert might not even be needed. For Rain Setters you're looking at:

Starmie @ Damp Rock
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump/ Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

Crobat @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 Atk/ 4 Def/ 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Taunt
- Rain Dance
Volbeat @ Damp Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk/ 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Encore
- U-turn
- Rain Dance
- thunder wave

Sabeleye @ Damp Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spdef/ 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Taunt
- Will O wisp
- Rain Dance
- Foul Play
This is Battle of Hoenn and everything is set to level 50, so that Volbeat is wasting EVs. 248 and 244 EVs give the same amount, and 8 and 4 EVs give the same amount. Also, with how the HP should end up at lv 50 as far as being divisible by certain numbers (for entry hazards I guess, which doesn't mayter in this format anyways), there's no reason not to take 4 EVs out of Atk (which gives you the same Atk stat) and put it into HP (Increasing it by 1)

I posted this originally in the Battlespot team building thread. I thought posting this here would get a little more help. Hopefully.

I'm going to try and get as far as possible in The Battle of Hoenn competition coming up. Looking at the Hoenn Dex there's not many choices for pokemon. But this also makes it easier to prepare for possible problematic matches and whatnot. There being fewer choices of pokemon allows me to better predict threats.

I've put A LOT of thought into this. Probably more than I'd like to Admit. But this is what I have so Far. Please give me your feedback as well as your tips, pointers, or anything that could help me make this team better.

I've optimized this team since it's original posting. So far I can't think of any possible Improvements.

Take a look at the team and let me know what all of you guys think. I'd appreciate it.

Aggron (The Anti-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
  • Heavy Slam
  • Ice Punch
  • Earthquake
  • Thunder Wave
This is IMHO the mega you have to watch out for during the whole competition. Being able to take on the majority of the available megas in TBOH Mega Aggron can either counter, check, or severely dent most of them without much of a problem.

With just Heavy Slam, Ice Punch, and Earthquake he's able to hit most of this meta game's list of threats at least neutrally. For anything he can't hit hard enough he can just Thunder Wave and run. Switching to a more appropriate counter.

If that doesn't sound good enough, he's also able to hard counter Sub+DD+Roost Mega Salamence. One of if the biggest threat of this whole competition. Barely taking anything from Aerilate Return even at +6 MegAggron can retaliate back with Ice Punch, or even T-Wave for paralysis hax.

Max HP & and Atk allows me to take hits and dish a lot of damage back. The 4 EV's in Speed allow me to outspeed opposing Mega Aggron

Some Notable Damage Calcs:

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 29-35 (16.3 - 19.7%) -- possible 6HKO

+6 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 117-138 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Salamence: 120-144 (59.7 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 87-103 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 94-112 (53.1 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 122-144 (78.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 38-45 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 46-55 (25.9 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 84-100 (53.5 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 54-64 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 44.3% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 42-49 (23.7 - 27.6%) -- 77.8% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 72-86 (46.4 - 55.4%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk

• Dazzling Gleam
  • Heal Bell
  • Wish
  • Hyper Voice / Protect
This is the best Cleric/Wish Passer/Mega-Sableye counter currently available and MegAggron needs all of these. If that's not enough Wigglytuff also pulls off a special wall set very well. At a base 140 HP Wiggles can pass some beefy wishes while also healing any possible status affliction that might be plaguing MegAggron or any other pokemon on the team.

Did I mention that Wigglytuff is a hard counter to Mega-Sableye? Yeah you read that right. One of the most biggest and problematic threats in this metagame (in TBOH and OU) has a hard counter. Sableye can't do jack against wigglytuff with it's stabs while constantly being at risk of a 2HKO from Dazzling Gleam.

0 SpA Sableye Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Wigglytuff: 24-28 (11.1 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0- Atk Sableye Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Wigglytuff: 22-27 (10.2 - 12.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Crobat (Brobat) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
  • Brave Bird
  • Cross Poison
  • Roost
  • Taunt
Among the top threats of this competition their are some who can pose truly problematic. e.g. Blaziken, Ludicolo, (Mega) Gardevoir, Mega Gallade, Breloom, Azumarill just to name a few. All of whom are at least maimed by Crobat's stabs.

Two of the threats I'd like to point out are Azumarill & Breloom. Crobat having the fastest available taunt outside of prankster can shutdown Spore Breloom and Bellydrum Azumarill. Two very dangerous pokemon if left unchecked.

Not only can Crobat stop them both from causing havik but also threaten them with a KO from both of his stabs.

Outside of countering the aforementioned pokemon Crobat also acts as a revenge killer thanks to his great base 130 speed and decent attack stat combined with brave Bird.

All in all Crobat is a must for this competition.

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Stone Edge
  • Knock Off
  • Bullet Punch
The only available check/counter to Mega Aggron in this competition. Mainly because of Dynamic punch. Not only is it a super effective high powered stab Against the Titan but also guarantees confusion. Possibly allowing some clutch moments in time of need.

Like I said earlier MegAggron is something that has to be prepared for. If left unchecked it WILL be a problem. I can't see myself not running Machamp in this competition.

The other moves offer great neutral to super effect coverage.

I haven't Figured out the best ev spread or item yet. But this current one looks good enough for the time being. If you have any ideas on what I should do about this please let me know.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb

Timid Nature
  • Hydro Pump
  • Giga Drain
  • Ice Beam
  • Rain Dance
The best Mega Swampert counter and Breloom counter AND Azumarill check I could find. Breloom can't spore me and I'm able to threaten with a KO from Ice beam. M-Swampert is threatened by a 4x weak Giga drain while being able to do nothing back.

On top of all this setting up rain lowers MegAggron's weakness to fire (but honestly doesn't seem like much considering the lack of decent fire types available)

I' might go with a timid nature so I can outspeed or speedtie opposing Ludicolo.

Tied for the last slot

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Trace
Timid Nature
  • Moonblast
  • Psyshock
  • Shadow Ball
  • Thunderbolt
My second mega sableye check/counter.

Gardevvoir also acts as a good revenge killer against Mega Metagross (lacking bullet punch) and Mega Salamence (Unboosted)

Thunderbolt is to hit Skarmory for super effect damage which upon further inspections walls most the team

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
  • Draco Meteor
  • Psyshock
  • Shadow Ball
  • Thunderbolt
Outspeeding the entire meta game Choice scarf Latios makes a fantastic revenge killer.

Draco Meteor Severely dents anything that doesn't resist. While also maiming M-Salamence

Psyshock hits fighting types like Mega Blaziken for Super effect damage

Shadow Ball gives Latios the ability to hit Gardevior and M-Metagross super effectively

Thunderbolt hit's azumarill and skarmory foor super effective damage

Last edited:
I posted this originally in the Battlespot team building thread. I thought posting this here would get a little more help. Hopefully.

I'm going to try and get as far as possible in The Battle of Hoenn competition coming up. Looking at the Hoenn Dex there's not many choices for pokemon. But this also makes it easier to prepare for possible problematic matches and whatnot. There being fewer choices of pokemon allows me to better predict threats.

I've put A LOT of thought into this. Probably more than I'd like to Admit. But this is what I have so Far. Please give me your feedback as well as your tips, pointers, or anything that could help me make this team better.

I was looking into the Lati@s twins. Scarfed Latios for revenge killing M-Salamence. Healing Wish Latias to bring someone back from the brink of death. Both also being able to at least check M-Manectric

Take a look at the team and let me know what all of you guys think. I'd appreciate it.

Aggron (The Anti-Mega) @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
  • Iron Head
  • Ice Punch
  • Earthquake
  • Thunder Wave
This is IMHO the mega you have to watch out for during the whole competition. Being able to take on the majority of the available megas in TBOH Mega Aggron can either counter, check, or severely dent most of them without much of a problem.

With just Iron Head, Ice Punch, and Earthquake he's able to hit most of this meta game's list of threats at least neutrally. For anything he can't hit hard enough he can just Thunder Wave and run. Switching to a more appropriate counter.

If that doesn't sound good enough, he's also able to hard counter Sub+DD+Roost Mega Salamence. One of if the biggest threat of this whole competition. Barely taking anything from Aerilate Return even at +6 MegAggron can retaliate back with Ice Punch, or even T-Wave for paralysis hax.

252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 29-35 (16.3 - 19.7%) -- possible 6HKO

+6 252+ Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 117-138 (66.1 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Ice Punch vs. 248 HP / 28 Def Salamence: 120-144 (59.7 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 87-103 (49.1 - 58.1%) -- 98.4% chance to 2HKO

252+ Atk Mega Blaziken High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 94-112 (53.1 - 63.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Blaziken: 122-144 (78.2 - 92.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 38-45 (21.4 - 25.4%) -- 0.2% chance to 4HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 46-55 (25.9 - 31%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 84-100 (53.5 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Hammer Arm vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 54-64 (30.5 - 36.1%) -- 44.3% chance to 3HKO

252 Atk Metagross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 42-49 (23.7 - 27.6%) -- 77.8% chance to 4HKO

0 Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 72-86 (46.4 - 55.4%) -- 62.5% chance to 2HKO

Wigglytuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive / Cute Charm / Frisk
EVs: 252 Def / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Bold/Calm Nature

• Dazzling Gleam
  • Heal Bell
  • Wish
  • Protect
This is the best Cleric/Wish Passer/Mega-Sableye counter currently available and MegAggron needs all of these. At a base 140 HP Wiggles can pass some beefy wishes while also healing any possible status affliction that might be plaguing MegAggron or any other pokemon on the team.

Did I mention that Wigglytuff is a hard counter to Mega-Sableye? Yeah you read that right. One of the most biggest and problematic threats in this metagame (in TBOH and OU) has a hard counter. Sableye can't do jack against wigglytuff with it's stabs while constantly being at risk of a 2HKO from Dazzling Gleam.

I haven't decided on the Nature or Ability yet (Competitive looking like the best one) but all in all I think Wigglytuff is a valuable asset to this team.

0 SpA Sableye Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Wigglytuff: 24-28 (11.1 - 13%) -- possibly the worst move ever

0- Atk Sableye Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Wigglytuff: 22-27 (10.2 - 12.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever

Crobat (Brobat) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
  • Brave Bird
  • Cross Poison
  • Roost
  • Taunt
Among the top threats of this competition their are some who can pose truly problematic. e.g. Blaziken, Ludicolo, (Mega) Gardevoir, Mega Gallade, Breloom, Azumarill just to name a few. All of whom are at least maimed by Crobat's stabs.

Two of the threats I'd like to point out are Azumarill & Breloom. Crobat having the fastest available taunt outside of prankster can shutdown Spore Breloom and Bellydrum Azumarill. Two very dangerous pokemon if left unchecked.

Not only can Crobat stop them both from causing havik but also threaten them with a KO from both of his stabs.

Outside of countering the aforementioned pokemon Crobat also acts as a revenge killer thanks to his great base 130 speed and decent attack stat combined with brave Bird.

All in all Crobat is a must for this competition.

Machamp @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Dynamic Punch
  • Stone Edge
  • Knock Off
  • Bullet Punch
The only available check/counter to Mega Aggron in this competition. Mainly because of Dynamic punch. Not only is it a super effective high powered stab Against the Titan but also guarantees confusion. Possibly allowing some clutch moments in time of need.

Like I said earlier MegAggron is something that has to be prepared for. If left unchecked it WILL be a problem. I can't see myself not running Machamp in this competition.

The other moves offer great neutral to super effect coverage.

I haven't Figured out the best ev spread or item yet. But this current one looks good enough for the time being. If you have any ideas on what I should do about this please let me know.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Synchronize/Trace

Timid Nature

• Moonblast
  • Psyshock
  • Shadow Ball
  • Trick
My second mega sableye check/counter. With Synchronize I can switch in on a predicted will-o-wisp and burn sableye. A very amazing feat IMO. Then threaten to KO with stab Moonblast.

Gardevvoir also acts as a good revenge killer against Mega Metagross (lacking bullet punch) and Mega salamence (I'm not sure if I outspeed a jolly unboosted Mega Salamence with choice scarf. If anyone knows please tell me.)

Against any other mon I can just trick and potentially screw over their whole game plan

I was considering Trace over Synchronize but I honestly haven't decided.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb

Modest/Timid Nature

• Hydro Pump
  • Giga Drain
  • Ice Beam
  • Rain Dance
The best Mega Swampert counter and Breloom counter I could find. Breloom can't spore me and I'm able to threaten with a KO from Ice beam. M-Swampert is threatened by a 4x weak Giga drain while being able to do nothing back.

On top of all this setting up rain lowers MegAggron's weakness to fire (but honestly doesn't seem like much considering the lack of decent fire types available)

I' might go with a timid nature so I can outspeed or speedtie opposing Ludicolo.
16 Defense on Aggron is wasting a point (12 evs gives the same amount). I recommend to just go physically defensive full-on. Nice team tho.

(also yeah add trace>synchronize on gardevoir)

16 Defense on Aggron is wasting a point (12 evs gives the same amount). I recommend to just go physically defensive full-on. Nice team tho.

(also yeah add trace>synchronize on gardevoir)

Any Ideas on who I could add as a special wall? I do think that going completely defensive is a good idea since most of the problematic threats are physical attackers. But what should I do for the Specially based ones?

Also yeah Trace on Gardevoir sounds like a better idea. Thanks for the input.

Any Ideas on who I could add as a special wall? I do think that going completely defensive is a good idea since most of the problematic threats are physical attackers. But what should I do for the Specially based ones?

Also yeah Trace on Gardevoir sounds like a better idea. Thanks for the input.
Not really so much an idea so much as who you can replace. You have two Fairy types, leaving you more open to Steel type attackers (though not Poison types incidentally: Gardevoir would crack their skulls open, not to mention you could wall them with Aggron), so I'd suggest trying to find a Specially Defensive wall that doesn't share any of the same types as the Pokemon that you already have, or at least that is what I'd do.

You won't find any specially defensive Fire types in Hoenn, so maybe look at Dark, Ghost, Electric, Bug, Dragon, Ice, or Ground types, since that is what you currently lack.

BTW: I love the images that you displayed for each Pokemon. Good Luck.

Gardevoir @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Synchronize/Trace

Timid Nature

• Moonblast
  • Psyshock
  • Shadow Ball
  • Trick
My second mega sableye check/counter. With Synchronize I can switch in on a predicted will-o-wisp and burn sableye. A very amazing feat IMO. Then threaten to KO with stab Moonblast.

Gardevvoir also acts as a good revenge killer against Mega Metagross (lacking bullet punch) and Mega salamence (I'm not sure if I outspeed a jolly unboosted Mega Salamence with choice scarf. If anyone knows please tell me.)

Against any other mon I can just trick and potentially screw over their whole game plan

I was considering Trace over Synchronize but I honestly haven't decided.
If you're looking to troll Sableye, Trace lets you grab Prankster and Prankster-Trick it, or Magic Bounce to laugh your ass off when it WoW's itself.
Synch only works once, and only if your foe statuses you directly (ie, no Toxic Spikes). Trace, you'll likely get at least 1 good use out of it.

Not enough attention span to do this tourney, not in a pokemood. BUt I thought I'd add that anyway in hopes of helping :P

If you're looking to troll Sableye, Trace lets you grab Prankster and Prankster-Trick it, or Magic Bounce to laugh your ass off when it WoW's itself.
Synch only works once, and only if your foe statuses you directly (ie, no Toxic Spikes). Trace, you'll likely get at least 1 good use out of it.

Not enough attention span to do this tourney, not in a pokemood. BUt I thought I'd add that anyway in hopes of helping :P
Not really so much an idea so much as who you can replace. You have two Fairy types, leaving you more open to Steel type attackers (though not Poison types incidentally: Gardevoir would crack their skulls open, not to mention you could wall them with Aggron), so I'd suggest trying to find a Specially Defensive wall that doesn't share any of the same types as the Pokemon that you already have, or at least that is what I'd do.

You won't find any specially defensive Fire types in Hoenn, so maybe look at Dark, Ghost, Electric, Bug, Dragon, Ice, or Ground types, since that is what you currently lack.

BTW: I love the images that you displayed for each Pokemon. Good Luck.
I've updated most of my original post with the current changes. eventually I'll add some important damage calcs

I wanna say thank you to all who commented on my team. I've spent a few hours looking everything over and finally decided on a lot. if you guys have any more tips I'll gladly take them. Thanks again.

I'd definitely choose Latios, that way, you only have one Fairy type. Otherwise, if it were me, I'd be afraid of all those crazy Mega Metagross on the loose (including probably mine).

Any good checks for MAggron? Breloom/MGallade/AV Machamp/Blaziken cannot even 2HKO it. MBlaziken need to be at full health to take an EQ, and i cannt see MMedicham/MCamerupt/Ninetales being good here.

Any good checks for MAggron? Breloom/MGallade/AV Machamp/Blaziken cannot even 2HKO it. MBlaziken need to be at full health to take an EQ, and i cannt see MMedicham/MCamerupt/Ninetales being good here.
the key to taking down Megaggron is prior damage tbh. packing a Sableye and burning it helps a ton.

the key to taking down Megaggron is prior damage tbh. packing a Sableye and burning it helps a ton.
I've adjusted my Wigglytuff set.
Blaziken actually gets KO'ed I believe at full health from adamant max atk m-aggron's earthquake.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mega Camerupt can OHKO with Fire Blast / Eruption:

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 180-213 (101.6 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 134-158 (75.7 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you can come in and roast it while tanking an Earthquake, or run modest with 244 speed EVs and outrun it, although that seriously takes away from Camerupt's Bulk. If you can fit it on a Trick Room team then even better.

Life Orb Ninetales in sun can also put it away with Fire Blast, although you probably have something else holding LO...

252+ SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron in Sun: 183-218 (103.3 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Timid has a 75% chance of doing the same.

Mega Manectric makes a great revenge killer with Overheat, and if you miss the KO Aggron doesn't even OHKO back with Earthquake because of Intimidate.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 105-124 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 114-135 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 104-124 (71.7 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, Aggron does look pretty scary in this meta! Sableye walls it hard though so if you're using M-Aggron make sure you have a good Sableye counter because you're risking a potential Mega Sableye set up. I really think the Rest-Talk set for M-Aggron will be a beast. I would be rolling with Heavy Slam or Earthquake and Ice Punch which does lose out on valuable Rock Coverage against thing's like Gyarados, but it becomes even more annoying to take down (and stops Sableye's Will-O-Wisp from neutering it, as well as not being total Spore Breloom bait)

*note: all Aggorn calcs done with Max SpDef and Attack investment, literally the most extreme situations to be in since most will probably just be HP+Def builds

Mega Camerupt can OHKO with Fire Blast / Eruption:

252+ SpA Sheer Force Mega Camerupt Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 180-213 (101.6 - 120.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Camerupt: 134-158 (75.7 - 89.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So you can come in and roast it while tanking an Earthquake, or run modest with 244 speed EVs and outrun it, although that seriously takes away from Camerupt's Bulk. If you can fit it on a Trick Room team then even better.

Life Orb Ninetales in sun can also put it away with Fire Blast, although you probably have something else holding LO...

252+ SpA Life Orb Ninetales Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Filter Mega Aggron in Sun: 183-218 (103.3 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Timid has a 75% chance of doing the same.

Mega Manectric makes a great revenge killer with Overheat, and if you miss the KO Aggron doesn't even OHKO back with Earthquake because of Intimidate.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 105-124 (59.3 - 70%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Manectric Overheat vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Filter Mega Aggron: 114-135 (64.4 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

-1 252+ Atk Mega Aggron Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Manectric: 104-124 (71.7 - 85.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So yeah, Aggron does look pretty scary in this meta! Sableye walls it hard though so if you're using M-Aggron make sure you have a good Sableye counter because you're risking a potential Mega Sableye set up. I really think the Rest-Talk set for M-Aggron will be a beast. I would be rolling with Heavy Slam or Earthquake and Ice Punch which does lose out on valuable Rock Coverage against thing's like Gyarados, but it becomes even more annoying to take down (and stops Sableye's Will-O-Wisp from neutering it, as well as not being total Spore Breloom bait)

*note: all Aggorn calcs done with Max SpDef and Attack investment, literally the most extreme situations to be in since most will probably just be HP+Def builds
Thank you! I've been testing this team on showdown and mega manectric definitely is a problem. I've also overlooked mega camrupt as well.

Despite spending 3 days building this team I'm actually excited to iron out the last few kinks

Gah, im having so many issues just -deciding- on what to use. Im thinking about settling on Blaziken as my mega, with Regirock for MSal. What are the biggest threats to Blaziken out there so I can build around it? Or is Kung Pow Chicken a poor choice?

Thank you! I've been testing this team on showdown and mega manectric definitely is a problem. I've also overlooked mega camrupt as well.

Despite spending 3 days building this team I'm actually excited to iron out the last few kinks
Actually, since I'm a fan of Aggron in general, I think I might try out your Aggron + Wigglytuff core. Never used Wigglytuff in any format but why not. For Mega Manectric, it has a lot of trouble with Swampert, Camerupt, Dragon types in general, and I guess Golem and Claydol as well. Latios is good for the reasons you mentioned, but leaves you vulnerable to Sableye. Scarf Gardevoir should be able to go toe-to-toe easy enough with the Speed and Special bulk, but Volt Switch is a bother. Ground types stack weaknesses with Aggron / eliminate your Scarf revenge kills, but roast Manectric. Camerupt is the only one not destroyed by Sableye though.

I know it's a super offensive format, but I'm sorta tempted to run stall. Skarmory + Altaria-M can handle a lot on their own, just need 4 members who can handle specific threats a little better depending on what I see in the other team. I'm thinking Rhyperior for Salamence-M, and maybe Tentacruel for Azumarill (though less switching means less opportunity for Scald spam, hindering his bulkiness).

Not sure about the last two. I am feeling a slight weakness to Metagross that carry Thunder Punch. Adamant CB/LO/Mega does over 50% max to Skarmory. Though I suspect most Mega versions will be Jolly, and non-mega versions are probably better off with a defensive item or Lum Berry. Might use Scarf Magnezone to revenge kill it. That just leaves one spot to fill... Anyone else seeing weaknesses that I'm not?

EDIT: just wanted to reply to the post by BloodRedZangoose above that I didn't notice until now. I feel like having only 3 mons in the battle will limit the effectiveness of hazards and phazing. So I have made some suggestions for your Rhyperior and Tentacruel. Changes in bold.

Okay, so I haven't posted on this site in years, but as this seems like the only active thread in the community giving out good advice for this meta, I was wondering if you hardened competitive battlers good help me out with my team. I'm trying not to use the ridiculously OP pokes like Salamence and Metagross, as I simply don't find it fun. Hopefully you can tell me if my slightly more niche Pokemon are still viable in this meta.

Corundum (Rhyperior) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock Megahorn
- Dragon Tail Aqua Tail / Stone Edge / Rock Blast
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
One possible option to lead, and/or Salamence counter.

Assault Vest gives you enough bulk to take neutral special attacks such as Draco Meteor and hit back hard with the appropriate move. It makes Rhyperior a fairly effective attacking lead, as he can survive unSTABed Surf from the likes of Lati@s and retaliate with Megahorn or Ice Punch.

Aqua Tail is your best option against opposing Rhyperior, while Stone Edge is a STAB option that hits Glalie hard if it foolishly decides not to explode. Rock Blast is similar to Stone Edge, except it can break through Focus Sash and Substitute.

The EVs could be changed to make Rhyperior hit a little harder, but how much harder he needs to hit depends on the rest of your team so you might have to play around with a calculator yourself.

Hyneman (Walrein) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 232 HP / 220 Def / 56 SpA
Bold Nature
- Super Fang
- Brine
- Frost Breath
- Toxic
Wallbreaker and honestly just one of my favourites I've been wanting an excuse to use for years.

Volta (Manectric) (F) @ Manectite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
Seems like M-Manectric fits well into this meta. Hitting hard, jumping out, then coming in and hitting hard again with a lot of powerful type coverage.

Ludo (Ludicolo) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Giga Drain
- Rain Dance
My go-to Breloom counter for this meta. Absorbs Spore, and Ice Beams him in the face. Hopefully outspeeding him too, if Tentacruel has had a chance to Rain Dance.

Gatling (Heracross) (F) @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Blast
- Bullet Seed (thinking of replacing with Aerial Ace as I lack an answer to strong fighting types such as Machamp and other Heracross)
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
I think Hera and Manectric work well as mega options as they both have alternate roles if they don't mega (electric absorption, or status absorption) and cover a huge range of types, so I would just select whichever covered the opponents threats best.

Nemo (Tentacruel) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpD / 252 Spe 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Careful Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin Scald
- Toxic Spikes Toxic
- Knock Off Sludge Wave
- Rain Dance / Barrier / Knock Off / Ice Beam
Other lead option, with added possibility of RD-ing for Ludicolo or its own regeneration if it's granted that long to live.

Tentacruel's typing isn't great for special walling in Hoenn, with a lot of special attackers using Psychic or Electric STAB. It does however have a good typing for taking on physical threats such as Azumarill, Blaziken and Mawile, who can't or don't run super-effective coverage. The nature change helps Tentacruel wall those things better. Tentacruel's base Atk is so low that you shouldn't be caring too much about Knock Off's damage output anyway.

Scald lets you 2HKO Blaziken. Toxic is more effective than Toxic Spikes in 3v3 (especially considering the number of Steel, Flying or Levitate pokes people are using). Sludge Wave lets you counter Azumarill. The last slot is pretty flexible, I would be using Rain Dance if I had a Rain Dish Tentacruel since it gives Scald a chance to OHKO Blaziken and always 3HKO Mawile-Mega, while coming out of most fights healthier.

I don't have one though so I'm using Barrier to remove my weakness to Zen Headbutt/Earthquake/Thunder Punch. I don't think Knock Off will be particularly useful in this meta, as there will be a lot of multi-mega teams and Dusclops is the only ghost that will care a lot about having its' item removed.

So yeah. Manectric (with HP-Ice), Heracross, and Rhyperior are already bred and good to go, but I have a stockpile of Reset Bags if I've blundered too hard. I know Walrein is sadly probably the weakest link, but I'm not sure what to replace him with if I really have to.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)