NU Vileplume

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus

bae

Overview
########

Thanks to its great typing and solid defenses, Vileplume shines as one of the finest defensive and offensive pivots in the tier. Its typing gives it invaluable resistances to Electric-, Grass-, Water-, and, most importantly, Fighting-type moves, while providing it with an immunity to powder moves, Leech Seed, and Toxic. This typing is a bit of a double-edged sword, however, as it gives Vileplume a weakness to the very common Psychic- and Fire-types in the tier. Access to recovery options in both Giga Drain and Moonlight further enhances its durability and ability to handle many offensive Pokemon. Effect Spore is a great ability, potentially leaving you with an advantage and sometimes winning you the game. Unlike some other defensively-inclined Pokemon, Vileplume also has a great Special Attack stat that allows it to hit hard even without investment, and even viably run an offensive set. Unfortunately, only above-average defenses mean very strong attackers can break through it, and its low Speed means it will rarely be moving first. Depending on its last moveslot, it can also provide opportunities for Poison- and Steel-types such as Garbodor and Ferroseed to switch in and set up entry hazards all over it. Vileplume's strengths largely outweigh its flaws, however, making it one of the most popular choices for balanced and bulky offensive teams while fitting in almost any playstyle.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Moonlight
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Sleep Powder / Aromatherapy
ability: Effect Spore
item: Black Sludge
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Giga Drain is a decently strong STAB move that lets Vileplume restore some HP. Moonlight provides Vileplume with reliable recovery, allowing it to heal itself when damaged and come in more easily throughout the match. Sludge Bomb is Vileplume's strongest STAB move and has a nifty 30% chance to poison the foe, which when paired with Effect Spore gives Vileplume a high chance to cripple the foe. Vileplume has several options for its fourth moveslot that cripple some of its checks and counters. Sleep Powder puts common switch-ins such as Garbodor and Mega Camerupt to sleep, letting Vileplume fearlessly switch out to a teammate and generate free turns. Aromatherapy works best on defensively-oriented teams, giving them a cleric and also healing any of Vileplume's own status afflictions. Moonblast is an option that threatens Malamar trying to set up on Vileplume, 3HKOing it with some Special Attack investment while also hitting the Fighting- and Dark-types Vileplume checks harder. Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit Steel-types that resist or are immune to Vileplume's STAB moves, 2HKOing Pawniard, Mawile, and Ferroseed while also 3HKOing Klinklang, all of which would otherwise be able set up on Vileplume or lay entry hazards.

Set Details
========

The given EVs and a Bold nature maximize physical bulk. Black Sludge gives Vileplume passive recovery, making it even harder to wear down. Effect Spore lets Vileplume potentially status the foe, usually giving you a better matchup. 96 Special Defense EVs with a Calm nature can be used to let Vileplume survive +2 Life Orb-boosted Hidden Power Fire or Ice from Lilligant, which would otherwise be able to boost twice and KO Vileplume as it comes in and uses Sludge Bomb, even proceeding to sweep your team. Similarly, Vileplume can run a fully specially defensive spread to better wall Water-, Grass-, and Electric-types; however, this greatly detracts from its physical bulk, meaning you will need a better check for Fighting-types. If you run Moonblast, even minimal Special Attack investment gives Vileplume a higher chance to 3HKO Malamar, with 88 EVs specifically being needed to always do so.

Usage Tips
========

Vileplume should come in on the numerous important hits it resists or on relatively weak attacks while being careful around super effective coverage moves, such as Sawk's Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt and offensive Lanturn's Ice Beam, and variants of Pokemon it checks, such as special Cacturne. Thanks to its typing, Vileplume can also freely switch into status moves such as Sleep Powder and Toxic, while not minding burn or paralysis too much, especially if it's running Aromatherapy, which makes it a great pivot into defensive and support Pokemon. Take advantage of switches to heal back HP with Moonlight if Vileplume has taken significant damage, as a weakened Vileplume does a poor job of checking what it's supposed to; however, do so conservatively, as Moonlight has low PP. Both of Vileplume's STAB moves are very spammable, with Sludge Bomb in particular having good power and a high chance to poison the foe. Vileplume can also use Sleep Powder on switch-ins looking to take advantage of it, set up, or lay entry hazards, such as Mega Camerupt and Garbodor. While rare, be wary of Sap Sipper Pokemon such as Bouffalant by not spamming Giga Drain or Sleep Powder, as you don't want to give them the Attack boost. If running Hidden Power Fire, try catching Steel-types on the switch to prevent them from doing too much against your team.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that resist Fire and Ice partner excellently with Vileplume, namely Water-types such Seismitoad, Mantine, Samurott, specially defensive Quagsire, and Lanturn, although Ice-types with access to Freeze-Dry such as Cryogonal and Articuno give this core trouble. Hariyama has especially fantastic synergy with Vileplume, resisting the aforementioned types while also checking most special attackers in general. Flash Fire Pokemon such Typhosion, Ninetales, Lampent, and Flareon also have great defensive synergy with Vileplume, stopping Fire- and Ice-types in their tracks as Vileplume checks or counters the Water- and Rock-types that give them trouble. Pokemon that resist Psychic and Flying are equally important, with Steel-types such as Klinklang and Ferroseed having solid synergy with Vileplume. In return, Vileplume beating Water- and Ground-types and even weakening Steel-types with Hidden Power Fire can pave the way for a Klinklang sweep. Dark-types such Pawniard, Sneasel, and Vullaby check most Psychic-types and appreciate Vileplume checking Fighting- and Fairy-types. Eviolite Zweilous gets a special mention for its additional ability to check or counter Fire-types. Spinners and Defoggers such as Prinplup, Mantine, and Cryogonal are important partners because entry hazards can turn a lot of 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. For example, Life Orb Lilligant's Hidden Power Fire 2HKOs Vileplume after Stealth Rock and Ludicolo's Ice Beam has a chance to OHKO Vileplume after Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes. Xatu also works as a method of hazard control, providing a secondary check to Fighting-types and Lilligant while preventing Pokemon such as Garbodor and Ferroseed from taking advantage of Vileplume by bouncing back their entry hazards.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Giga Drain
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Hidden Power Fire / Sleep Powder
move 4: Moonlight
item: Black Sludge / Life Orb
evs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 144 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Giga Drain is a reliable STAB move that heals back some HP, adding to Vileplume's durability and canceling out Life Orb recoil. Sludge Bomb is Vileplume's strongest STAB move, hitting hard while potentially poisoning the foe. Hidden Power Fire gives it nearly perfect coverage, only resisted by Lampent, and hits Steel-types such as Ferroseed, Mawile, Pawniard and Klinklang, OHKOing the first three if Vileplume is holding a Life Orb. Sleep Powder puts switch-ins such as Garbodor and Mega Camerupt to sleep and gives Vileplume free turns, which can even be used to set up with another Pokemon. Moonlight provides reliable recovery and is one of the main reasons why this set can trouble defensively-oriented teams, as it makes Vileplume much harder to wear down and lets it check things even with little defensive investment. Moonblast can be used to 3HKO Malamar trying to set up on Vileplume, 2HKOing after Stealth Rock or if Vileplume is holding Life Orb. However, Life Orb already lets Vileplume 3HKO Malamar with Sludge Bomb, while also giving it Vileplume a high chance to do so with Giga Drain, so Moonblast is not as important. Mooblast does, however, hit the Fighting- and Dark-types Vileplume checks harder than its other moves do.

Set Details
========

252 Special Attack EVs and a Modest nature make Vileplume extremely powerful, 2HKOing a lot of the metagame. The Speed EVs allow Vileplume to make up for Hidden Power Fire's imperfect Speed IV and outspeed uninvested Lanturn. The remaining EVs are put into HP to make Vileplume as bulky as possible. You can invest more into HP if Lanturn isn't a concern. Alternatively, Vileplume can run even more Speed to outrun the likes of Claydol, Malamar, and Seismitoad. Effect Spore is Vileplume's best ability, having a fairly high chance to status the foe on contact. Black Sludge gives Vileplume more longevity, while Life Orb increases its power significantly at the cost of recoil damage.

Usage Tips
========

This set works best as a pivot for offensive teams, switching in on resisted hits and weak walls, such as Ferroseed and Mega Audino without Fire Blast or Psychic, while being immune to Toxic, powder moves, and Leech Seed. Switch into Fighting- and Grass-types such as Hariyama and Leafeon, but avoid very strong attackers such as Choice Band Sawk, as they can 2HKO Vileplume even with resisted hits due to its lack of defensive investment. Generally, Vileplume's best option is to spam Sludge Bomb against most switch-ins to capitalize on its power and poison chance, which go a long way towards weakening the opposing team. Use Hidden Power Fire if you're predicting the opponent to go out to a Steel-type such Mawile or Pawniard, as they will usually outspeed Vileplume and severely dent it with their STAB moves. If running Sleep Powder, use it as the opponent goes out to their Vileplume answer, which gives you at least one free turn to do whatever you want. Stay relatively high on HP by healing with Moonlight if there's anything on the opposing team you need Vileplume to check.

Team Options
========

Hariyama is a great partner for this set, resisting Vileplume's Ice and Fire weaknesses, appreciating its ability to switch into Fairy- and Fighting-types, and continuing to apply offensive pressure. Dark-types such as Sneasel, Liepard, Cacturne, and Pawniard are immune to Vileplume's Psychic weakness and can even Pursuit trap them in the former two's cases while benefiting from Vileplume checking Fairy- and Fighting-types. Pawniard also checks some Flying-types such as Swellow and Archeops. Pokemon that resist Flying such as Lanturn, Rotom, Rotom-S, and Rhydon are useful, and the first three also double as secondary checks to the Water-types Vileplume can struggle to handle, such as special Samurott. Ninetales loves Vileplume's ability to take a hit from and beat Aqua Jet users such as Carracosta and Samurott, which otherwise stop its sweep, and to lure Pokemon such as Cryogonal to use as setup fodder. Flash Fire makes Ninetales an excellent switch-in to Fire-type attacks aimed at Vileplume, and Ninetales also checks a lot of Ice-types. Water-types such as Seismitoad and Samurott resist Ice- and Fire-type attacks and also benefit from Vileplume checking Grass-types and opposing Water-types. Swords Dance Samurott specifically enjoys Vileplume beating Grass-, Water-, and Electric-types and breaking down physical walls in general to open up a sweep. Spinners and Defoggers such as Cryogonal, Swanna, and Prinplup are important, as entry hazards can significantly lower both Vileplume's durability and ability to check threats.

Other Options
########

A Chlorophyll set could potentially be used on a sun team, but it's outclassed by Victreebel because of the latter's higher Speed, access to Weather Ball, and ability to go mixed, with Vileplume's only real niche being its greater bulk. Energy Ball can be used over Giga Drain on the offensive set for extra power at the cost of some durability. Hidden Power Ground on the offensive set prevents Vileplume from being setup fodder for Garbodor and hits some Steel-types super effectively. Hidden Power Water allows Vileplume to function as a lure for Mega Camerupt.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-, Flying-, Psychic-, and Ice-types**: Fire- and Flying-type Pokemon can switch into a resisted hit and threaten Vileplume with their super effective STAB moves. Psychic- and Ice-type Pokemon can utilize their typically good Special Defense stats to switch into most of Vileplume's attacks and threaten it with their super effective STAB moves. Mega Camerupt specifically can switch into almost any of Vileplume's moves, especially if it's a defensive variant, and can even run Sleep Talk for Sleep Powder.

**Super Effective Coverage**: Pokemon such as Lanturn and Sawk can threaten Vileplume as it switches in with super effective coverage moves. Setup sweepers such as Lilligant can boost as Vileplume comes in and heavily dent it with Hidden Power Fire.

**Entry Hazards**: Entry hazard setters such as Garbodor and Ferroseed, while not immediately threatening to Vileplume, either resist or are immune to both of its STAB moves and can switch in and set up entry hazards, though they have to watch out for Sleep Powder or potential super effective Hidden Powers. This is compounded by Vileplume's dislike of entry hazards, as they turn many 3HKOs into 2HKOs.

**Bulky Setup Sweepers**: Bulky setup sweepers such as Uxie, Klinklang, and Malamar can use Vileplume as setup fodder because of their bulk and Vileplume's sometimes lacking power; Malamar has to be careful around Moonblast and Life Orb-boosted attacks, however, and Klinklang also has to watch out for Hidden Power Fire.

**Hard Hitting Attackers**: Extremely strong attacks such as Zangoose's Facade and Silk Scarf Kangaskhan's Double-Edge can heavily dent Vileplume, if not outright KO with some prior damage in the former's case, making Vileplume a very poor answer to them.

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ferroseed and klinklang are rare now so just make sleep powder -> aromatherapy the main moves for 4th moveslot of the first set, keep hidden power fire in moves

anybody has experience with moonblast on offensive plume? or even on defensive idk if thats decent with it too Oo

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
On defensive imo right now Moonblast should replace HP fire as a slash, cause without it you're kinda setup fodder for Malamar. Hell, even with it you're still setup fodder without like 152EVs but its worth a mention as it can at least force Malamar to get some lucky Sleep Talk rolls in order to come out on top.

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Would Hidden Power Water as a M-Camerupt lure be worth mentioning in Other Options? Slashed Moonblast in Defensive over HP Fire, not sure if I should do the same/slash it with Offensive

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Would Hidden Power Water as a M-Camerupt lure be worth mentioning in Other Options? Slashed Moonblast in Defensive over HP Fire, not sure if I should do the same/slash it with Offensive
That's a good question - offensives plume can 2HKO offensive rupt with giga I think, but it obviously can't 2HKO SpDef rupt. You might as well toss it in OO for now and it can be removed later.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Pokedots this looks ready for QC, if it is change the tags to Quality Control in thread tools, if its still a WIP please finish it up.

Edit: looks like you have just one more Team Options section to do

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Pokedots this looks ready for QC, if it is change the tags to Quality Control in thread tools, if its still a WIP please finish it up.

Edit: looks like you have just one more Team Options section to do
Should be able to finish it by the end of today, and if not, definitely tomorrow

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Add that Moonblast also deals more damage to the Fighting-types Vileplume walls, particularly Hariyama. Worry Seed shuts down other RestTalking Pokemon in addition to Malamar, such as Mega Audino, Mega Steelix, and Mega Camerupt (on the switch).

The Offensive set should have 144 Speed EVs to accommodate for HP Fire's imperfect Speed IV (note this as well in Set Details).

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Add that Moonblast also deals more damage to the Fighting-types Vileplume walls, particularly Hariyama.
When I talked about Moonblast, I meant edit the Moonblast mention in the Defensive set; I don't think the offensive set even needs Moonblast.

Also decide whether Worry Seed should be in the Defensive Set's "Moves" or in "Other Options". I would put Worry Seed in OO in the meantime, but emphasize that only the Defensive set should consider it, not the Offensive set.

Edit: One more thing Pokedots, if using Moonblast on defensive Plume, it is a good idea to invest in Special Attack EVs.
0 SpA Vileplume Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 128-152 (34 - 40.4%) -- 43.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Vileplume Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 130-154 (34.5 - 40.9%) -- 60.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
16 SpA Vileplume Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 132-156 (35.1 - 41.4%) -- 75.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
32 SpA Vileplume Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Malamar: 134-158 (35.6 - 42%) -- 86.5% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
As long as Moonblast isn't run with 0 SpA EVs (like the main set's EVs), you should be fine. Do elaborate this as best you can in Set Details.

Last edited:

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
When I talked about Moonblast, I meant edit the Moonblast mention in the Defensive set; I don't think the offensive set even needs Moonblast.

Also decide whether Worry Seed should be in the Defensive Set's "Moves" or in "Other Options". I would put Worry Seed in OO in the meantime, but emphasize that only the Defensive set should consider it, not the Offensive set.

Edit: One more thing Pokedots, if using Moonblast on defensive Plume, it is a good idea to invest in Special Attack EVs.

As long as Moonblast isn't run with 0 SpA EVs (like the main set's EVs), you should be fine. Do elaborate this as best you can in Set Details.
Worry Seed should have only been on oo, I don't know why it was also on defensive.

I meant to put the Fighting-type mention on both Defensive and Offensive, but editing on phone is a cancerous thing omg

I believe there was already a mention of SpA EVs for Moonblast on Set Details, with 88 letting it always 3HKO Malamar

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
This should be ready for QC. I do have a question of whether Hidden Power Ground should be mentioned in the offensive set for Garbodor, or if I should just mention it in oo

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really, really think that Moonblast should only be mentioned in Moves on the first set. It is literally for one Pokemon, which you should cover with something else anyways. Plus, Sleep Powder gives you the chance to pivot into a teammate to kill Malamar. It's weak without a handful of boosts, so it's not that hard to switch something into it, especially while it only has a 33% chance to use any certain move.

Cut all mentions of specific stats. These are at the top of the analysis already. Cut the point in the Overview about its fourth moveslot being versatile. You can cover this when you're talking about the specific sets. If you want, you can say in the Overview that it has a good movepool.

Never say "with impunity."

Can we not include Worry Seed?

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
I really, really think that Moonblast should only be mentioned in Moves on the first set. It is literally for one Pokemon, which you should cover with something else anyways. Plus, Sleep Powder gives you the chance to pivot into a teammate to kill Malamar. It's weak without a handful of boosts, so it's not that hard to switch something into it, especially while it only has a 33% chance to use any certain move.

Cut all mentions of specific stats. These are at the top of the analysis already. Cut the point in the Overview about its fourth moveslot being versatile. You can cover this when you're talking about the specific sets. If you want, you can say in the Overview that it has a good movepool.

Never say "with impunity."

Can we not include Worry Seed?
Done, done, and done. I find Worry Seed helpful in Malamar- or CroDino-weak teams, but it's niche enough that I removed it unless there's a shift in the meta towards them (ie Steelixite ban)

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Haven't gotten any suggestions/qc checks for about two weeks, so posting this to get it back up top. To make this post more constructive, should I add mentions of the drops (specifically Heliolisk who's getting suspected soon)?

Edit: lol THIS is my 100th post I had an RMT planned and everything w/e lol I still didn't have any teams that I wanted to rmt anyways. 101 post will do I guess

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Comments in Bold. Make these changes let me know and I'll give you your first check.
bae

Overview
########

• Great Grass/Poison typing that lets it check and counter Fighting-, Water-, Ground-, and Grass-types, while giving it an immunity to powder moves and Toxic
  • Great Special Attack, hitting hard even uninvested
  • Reliable recovery in Giga Drain and Moonlight
  • Can viably run both an offensive and defensive set
  • Decent defenses, making it fairly difficult to break
  • Effect Spore can status the foe's pokemon and so potentially give you the advantage
  • Weak to the very common Fire- and Psychic-types
  • Only decent defenses means strong wallbreakers can break through it or else leave it very weakened
  • Competition from the likes of Roselia and Tangela, which both provide unique niches that Vileplume can't
  • Free switch-in to Poison-types like Garbodor
you talk a lot about decent defense and what its typing can accomplish, I feel like you can condense a lot of these thoughts into more concise statments.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Moonlight
move 2: Giga Drain
move 4: Sleep Powder / Aromatherapy
item: Black Sludge
evs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpD
nature: Bold
Make the set order Giga Drain, Moonlight, Sludge Bomb, SP/Aroma

Moves
========

• Moonlight provides Vileplume with reliable recovery, letting it heal itself and thus be able to switch in repeatably
  • Giga Drain is a decently strong STAB move that lets it gain back some health
  • Sludge Bomb is Vileplume's strongest STAB move, and has decent coverage in addition to a 30% to poison the opponent
  • Versatile fourth moveslot: you can keep this when you write up but for now it looks silly lol
  • Sleep Powder lets it put the opponent's switch-in to sleep, thus letting you switch out to something else and/or generating some free turns
  • Aromatherapy works best in more defensively inclined, providing the team with a cleric while also healing its own status
  • Moonblast can be used to deal with Malamar, 3HKOing with some investment, while hitting the Fighting types it checks i agree with Hollywood that this didn't deserve a slash, but I'm honestly on the fence on whether it should be here or in OO
  • Hidden Power Fire can be used to hit the Steel-types that are resistant to both of its STABS, notably 2HKOing Pawniard and Ferroseed and 3HKOing Klinklang mention how important this is as all 3 can boost stats or set up hazards against plume

Set Details
========

• The EVs maximize physical bulk, letting it tank hits from the things it checks as much as possible add mentions of specific pokemon here, you've been using the term "things it checks" quite a bit
  • Black Sludge gives it passive recovery, making it even harder to wear down
  • Effect Spore allows it to status pokemon that use contact moves, potentially giving you a better match-up
  • 96 SpD EVs with a Calm nature can be run to survive +2 Life Orb Lilligant's Hidden Power Fire, which can otherwise set up as you come in, as you go for the Sludge Bomb, and then KO, and even proceed to sweep the rest of your team. However, this detracts from its physical bulk, notably giving it a chance to be OHKOed by +2 Feraligatr's Ice Punch after Stealth Rocks and Black Sludge recovery.
  • 88 SpA EVs can be run if you choose to use Moonblast, letting it always 3HKO SpDef Malamar. Even minimal SpA investment greatly increases the chance of a 3HKO

Usage Tips
========

• Vileplume should come in on resisted hits or weak physical attacks, while being careful around coverage moves such as Sawk's Ice Punch or Zen Headbutt, Kabutop's Stone Edge, and Offensive Lanturn's Ice Beam remove mention of Kabutops, make a strong mention here that plume resists quite a few important types
  • Thanks to its typing, it can freely switch into status moves such as Sleep Powder and Toxic, while not minding getting burned or paralyzed, especially if it's running Aromatherapy. This makes Vileplume a great pivot into defensive and support pokemon i wouldn't say plume doesnt mind the burn, a lot of things are around 12% away from 2hko'ing it. maybe make this exclusive to sets running aromatherapy
  • Use Moonlight to heal up if it has taken significant damage as a weakened Vileplume does a poor job of checking the thing it's supposed to, but do so conservatively due to its low 8 PP. Take advantage of switches to heal back the damage taken
  • Sleep Powder switch-ins that can take advantage of Vileplume by setting up, such as Garbodor and Ninetales
  • Pray for Effect Spore hax lol, i know what you're saying but maybe make it more of a tip by saying you can moonlight to fish for effect spore statuses or something here.

Team Options
========
mention defoggers and spinners, plume hates hazards and it turns a lot of 3hkos into 2hkos
  • Pairing Vileplume alongside Hariyama and (Mega-)Steelix forms a fearsome balance core, with Vileplume switching into Water-, Ground-, and Fighting-types for the two while Hariyama switches into Fire- and Ice-types (alongside other special attackers) and (Mega-)Steelix into the Psychic-, Flying-, and powerful Normal-type moves that threaten the other two. This core is incredibly weak to Swanna, so you can pair them with pokemon like Lanturn and Mantine that resist its STABs and/or have great a Special Defense i like what you're saying here by giving an example of a core, but i'd probably make it more generalized and seperate this into two different categories: psychic, flying resists and fire and ice resists. that way it applies to more than just yama and m-lix while still accomplishing what you're trying to say.
  • Bulky Water-types such as Seismitoad, Mantine, and Lanturn can all switch into Fire-types and some Ice-types, with Lanturn also resisting Flying-type moves. Cryogonal easily destroys this core thanks to Freeze Dry, however you can combine this with the above section covering fire and ice resists
  • A secondary check to the likes of Feraligatr, Lilligant, and Fighting-types in general is appreciated as Vileplume can find itself overwhelmed by checking too much at once. mention other specific physically defensive pokemon, and faster threats
  • Dark-types in general are great partners for Vileplume, checking most Psychic-types while appreciating Vileplume's ability to check and counter Fighting- and Fairy-types. Specially Defensive Zweilous gets a special mention as it not only counters most Psychic-types but it also easily switches into Fire-types mention good dark type teammates
  • Mega Camerupt, Ninetales, and Flareon all have great defensive synergy with Vileplume, stopping Fire-types in their tracks as Vileplume checks or counters the Water-types that give them trouble. Ninetales is also give opportunities to set up and sweep thanks to Vileplume's ability to lure pokemon like Cryogonal again you can combine a lot of these defensive synergy sections. I like the way this is phrased maybe try to do this for all the type synergies you're mentioning in TO.

Offensive
########
name: Offensive
move 1: Moonlight
move 2: Giga Drain
move 4: Hidden Power Fire make the set order reflect importance of moves, giga then sludge then hp fire then moonlight
item: Black Sludge / Life Orb
evs: 116 HP/ 252 SpAtk/ 144 Spd
nature: Modest

Moves
========

mention that poison grass fire coverage is only resisted by lampent in the tier lol
  • Moonlight provides reliable recovery, which again helps to come in repeatedly, in addition to checking things even with your decreased bulk. Being hard to wear down lets it more continuously attack
  • Giga Drain is its best Grass STAB that heals back some health, adding to its durability. It can help to cancel out Life Orb recoil its not its best grass stab it just adds recovery, energy ball is a p good reliable option here as i say below
  • Sludge Bomb is its strongest STAB, hitting hard while potentially poisoning the opponent
  • Hidden Power Fire provides it with good coverage with which to hit Steel-types like Ferroseed, Pawniard, and Klinklang, having a chance to OHKO the former two after SR if it's holding a Life Orb mention it does slightly more damage to m-lix if need be
  • Moonblast can be used to 3HKO Malamar trying to set up on you, while 2HKOing if you're using Life Orb. However, with Life Orb you can 3HKO Malamar with Sludge Bomb already, while having a high chance to do so with Giga Drain, so it's not as necessary mention you can 2hko after rocks even without life orb, also mention fighting and dark types i suppose
  • Sleep Powder puts switch-ins to sleep and gives you free turns, which can even be used to set up with another pokemon.
you can honestly mention energy ball here if you want more power, i've run it to some success on offensive plume and tbh the hp gained back with giga drain is pretty shit sometimes

Set Details
========

• 252 SpA EVs and a Modest nature make it extremely powerful, 2HKOing a lot of the metagame
  • The speed EVs let it make up for Hidden Power Fire's imperfect Speed IVs and outspeed uninvested Lanturn, and the rest is put into HP to make it as bulky as possible. You can invest more into HP if Lanturn isn't a concern
  • Effect Spore is its best ability, having a fairly high chance to status on contact
  • Black Sludge gives it more longetivity, while Life Orb increases its power very significantly at the cost of recoil damage

Usage Tips
========

• Switch into Fighting- and Grass-types such as Hariyama and Leafeon, but avoid very strong attackers such as Choice Band Sawk as they can 2HKO you with even resisted hits due to the lack of defensive investment
  • This set works best as a pivot for offensive teams, switching in on resisted hits and weak walls, such as Ferroseed and Mega Audino without Fire Blast and psychic!, while being immune to Toxic, powder moves and Leech Seed
  • Generally spam Sludge Bomb against most switch-ins to capitalize on its power and poison chance, which go a long way to weakening the opposing team
  • Make sure to stay relatively high on health as it needs it to properly check the things it checks maybe say to do this if you need vileplume to check something based on team preview, i wouldn't say this in general just because the set is called offensive lol

Team Options
========
mention defoggers and spinners, plume hates hazards and it turns a lot of 3hkos into 2hkos
  • Hariyama is again a great partner for this set, resisting Vileplume's Ice and Fire weaknesses and appreciating its ability to switch into Fairy- and Fighting-types, while continuing to apply offensive pressure
  • Dark-types such as Sneasel, Liepard, Cacturne, and Pawniard are immune to its Psychic weakness, and can even Pursuit-trap them in the former two's cases, while benefiting from Vileplume checking and beating Fairy- and Fighting-types. Pawniard also checks some Flying-types like Swellow and Archeops
  • Flying resists like Lanturn, Rotom(-Fan), and Mega Steelix are useful, and the first two also double as secondary checks to the Water-types Vileplume can struggle to handle, such as Feraligatr and Samurott
  • Mega Camerupt loves Vileplume's ability to lure Poison- and Fire-types like Garbodor and Ninetales while together dismantling the opposing team with their strong attacks. It can also switch into Fire-types moves aimed at Vileplume as the latter switches into the Water-type attacks directed at Mega Camerupt
  • Like Mega Camerupt, Ninetales loves Vileplume's ability to take a hit from beat Aqua Jet-users like Feraligatr and Kabutops, who otherwise stop its sweep, and to lure pokemon like Cryogonal to use as set-up fodder. Flash Fire makes it an excellent switch-in to Fire-type attacks aimed at Vileplume, while also checking a lot of Ice-types
  • Water-types like Feraligatr, Seismitoad, and Samurott resist Ice- and Fire-type moves and simultaneously benefit from it checking Grass-types. Swords Dance or Dragon Dance Feraligatr specifically enjoys Vileplume beating Grass-, Water-, and Electric-types and breaking down physical walls in general to open up a sweep
this is written much better than the other TO and sorts teammates by type and synergy, remove mentions of Kabutops tho

Other Options
########

• A Chlorophyll set could potentially be used on a sun team, but it's outclassed by Victreebel because of it's higher speed, access to Weather Ball, and ability to go mixed, with Vileplume's only real niche being its higher bulk.
  • A Specially Defensive can be used to wall special Grass- and Water-types, but it's typing and qualities (not being crippled by Knock Off too much) are better suited to handling physical threats
  • Hidden Power Water can be used as a lure for M-Camerupt, with Offensive Vileplume 2HKOing specially defensive variants. Defensive Vileplume also 2HKOes offensive variants
  • Hidden Power Ground on the offensive set prevents Vileplume from being set-up fodder for Garbodor

Checks & Counters
########
add offensive flying types and ice types, also mention specially defensive pokemon that you cant do much to outside of fishing for poison i suppose
  • **Fire-types**: Fire-types such as Typhlosion, Pyroar, Magmortar, and Ninetales can switch into a resisted hit, force it out, and nuke a teammate with their strong moves, or in Ninetales case, set up
  • **Mega Camerupt**: Mega Camerupt gets a special mention as it can fearlessly switch into most of Vileplume's moves, especially if it's a specially defensive variant, and hit hard with its STABs or even set up Stealth Rocks just give camel a special mention in fire types, it really doesnt warrant its own section
  • **Psychic-types**: Most Psychic-types check Vileplume well, using their usually good Special Defense to switch into most of its moves and threaten it with a STAB super-effective move
  • **Hazard-Setters**: Hazard-setters such as Garbodor and Ferroseed, while not immediately threatening it, resist and/or are immune to both of its STABs and so can switch in and set up hazards (Ferroseed can only switch in if Vileplume doesn't have Hidden Power Fire) maybe change this to just hazards in general, plume doesnt like spikes or rocks on the field. keep the mention of how you cnat do shit to most setters
  • **Bulky Set-Up Sweepers**: Bulky set-up sweepers like SubCM Uxie, Curse Mega Steelix, and RestTalk Malamar can use Vileplume as set-up fodder because of their bulk and Vileplume's sometimes lacking power. RestTalk Malamar, however, is 3HKOed by Moonblast in the offensive (2HKOing if it holds a Life Orb) and defensive set (with some investment), while being 3HKOed by Life Orb Sludge Bomb just rephrase malamar section to say something like "has to watch out for moonblast" you can also mention klinklang in here if defensive lacks hp fire

Last edited:

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Comments in Bold. Make these changes let me know and I'll give you your first check.
Made all the changes the best I could except for moving Mooblast from defensive to oo, as I still think it has merit, but I can be swayed

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Made all the changes the best I could except for moving Mooblast from defensive to oo, as I still think it has merit, but I can be swayed
K, I don't like the mention of Vullaby change it to like Prinplup or Sandslash or something lol. 1/3

Vullaby is decent, you just have a prinplup fetish.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Added mentions of the drops, but refrained from adding mentions of Heliolisk because it might leave very soon unless I'm told otherwise

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • The point about competition from other Grasses is sort of weird to me, since Vileplume is actually better than Tangela and Roselia most of the time.
  • I would also mention how it's easy to pressure due to having a lot of weaknesses and only ~solid~ bulk
Defensive
  • "Praying for Effect Spore hax" is unreliable and you shouldn't waste unnecessary PP from Moonlight just for that.
Offensive
  • Remove the Energy Ball mention from Moves and put it in OO
Checks and Counters
  • Flesh this section out a bit. You can lump Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-types all together into one section of super effective coverage. You can also add a section for setup sweepers that can heavily pressure it with coverage moves like Lilligant and Feraligatr, as well as general hard-hitters like Zangoose that can overwhelm it

Pokedots

is a Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • The point about competition from other Grasses is sort of weird to me, since Vileplume is actually better than Tangela and Roselia most of the time.
  • I would also mention how it's easy to pressure due to having a lot of weaknesses and only ~solid~ bulk
Defensive
  • "Praying for Effect Spore hax" is unreliable and you shouldn't waste unnecessary PP from Moonlight just for that.
Offensive
  • Remove the Energy Ball mention from Moves and put it in OO
Checks and Counters
  • Flesh this section out a bit. You can lump Fire-, Ice-, and Psychic-types all together into one section of super effective coverage. You can also add a section for setup sweepers that can heavily pressure it with coverage moves like Lilligant and Feraligatr, as well as general hard-hitters like Zangoose that can overwhelm it
Did all of this. The "Pray for Effect Spore hax" was meant to be a joke more than anything else, but it wasn't going to make it into write up, so removed it anyways :p

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention fully SpDef spread in Set Details. SpDef Vileplume is a good check to most Grass-types and special Water-types. You just have to make sure to have a more dedicated Fighting resist if you run it.

Sleep Powder needs to be slashed after HP Fire on offensive for Mega Camerupt. Giga Drain still 3HKOs it, so it's not like it's absolutely necessary, but it's still important.

First point in checks and counters "...especially if it's a specially defensive variant..." -> just say defensive variant because SpDef isn't on the set and even if it was it isn't relevant there.

Everything else looks good. 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)