[VGC 2015] Scizor

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
DPL Champion

Overview
########

Although the loss of Steel Gem weakened Scizor by not allowing it to Bullet Punch snipe, Scizor is still an amazing Pokemon in the VGC metagame due to its great typing, which is only weak to Fire, as well as its decent bulk and many resistances. Scizor also boasts great offensive stats and Bug / Steel typing, which is a nice offensive typing due to the rise of Fairy-types such as Sylveon. Scizor, however, faces competition from similar Steel-types such as Bisharp, which is "immune" to Intimidate, and Mega Mawile. Scizor is also easily walled by common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Aegislash. Like most physical attackers, Scizor is severely crippled by Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, both of which are very common.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Bullet Punch
move 3: Knock Off / Bug Bite
move 4: Protect
ability: Technician
item: Lum Berry / Scizorite / Life Orb
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Scizor's Attack to scary levels and mitigates the effects of Intimidate and burn. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best priority move and works really well when combined with Swords Dance. Knock Off has more utility than Bug Bite, as some bulkier Pokemon such as Cresselia tend to run other items instead of Sitrus Berry, and it also allows Scizor to hit Aegislash, one of Scizor's biggest counters, for super effective damage. Bug Bite, however, has more power than Knock Off and is arguably a better answer to most Rotom-W variants, as it can steal the foe's Sitrus Berry instead of just knocking it off. Protect is an important move for Scizor because once it gets a Swords Dance boost, your opponent will most likely double target Scizor to take it out before it can do any major damage. In that case, using Protect will buy you a turn.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature maximize Scizor's damage output. A Brave nature can be used over Adamant should you choose to run Scizor on a Trick Room team. Maximum HP EVs give Scizor more bulk; Speed investment isn't too necessary on Scizor, as it will be using Bullet Punch most of the time. Lum Berry is usually the preferred item, as it allows Scizor to heal from a status condition (more than likely a burn) which will come in handy quite a lot of times. Scizorite is another item choice that can help Scizor set up Swords Dance easier, as Mega Scizor has greater bulk. Finally, Life Orb is another option should you want to increase Scizor's damage output even more.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Scizor will rely on Bullet Punch as its main attacking move. Knock Off is another spammable move and should be used against bulky foes such as Thundurus or a Pokemon that will be crippled without its item, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T. If running Bug Bite instead, it should be used when a Pokemon that resists Bullet Punch is out or when you suspect the Pokemon is carrying a Sitrus Berry. Due to Scizor's natural bulk as well as its Steel typing, it can switch into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur, and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can threaten out Fire-types are great partners for Scizor. For example, Landorus-T can provide Intimidate support, which further increases Scizor's bulk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Heatran super effectively with Earthquake and Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Scizor fits very well on a rain team due to the rain weakening Fire-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are wonderful partners for Scizor, too; Milotic is able to check many Fire-types as well as discourage Intimidate due to Competitive. Rotom-W and Suicune are also great partners that check Fire-types; the former is able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and the latter offers speed control and Snarl support. Dragon-types, such as Latios and Hydreigon, are good partners as well, as Scizor can switch into Fairy- and Dragon-type moves aimed at them with relative ease as well as check Fairy-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########

Occa Berry is an option to mitigate Scizor's Fire weakness; however, even with it, Scizor still needs quite a lot of Special Defense investment to survive even common weaker Heat Waves. Choice Band is another option for maximum damage output; however, many common Pokemon,such as Heatran and Thundurus, resist Scizor's STAB and priority moves, so it isn't very helpful to be locked into one move.

Checks & Counters
########
**Fire-types**: Fire-types completely counter Scizor, as they resist both of its STAB moves and can KO it with relative ease. Heatran, Rotom-H, and Mega Charizard Y are all major counters to Scizor.

**Steel-types**: Many common Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Heatran, can completely wall Scizor and can either KO it or use it as setup fodder. Other Pokemon include Excadrill and Mega Lucario, both of which resist Scizor's STABs. Ferrothorn, if Scizor does not carry Bug Bite, can be a big pain as well due to Iron Barbs as well as its ability to recover damage with Leech Seed.

**Intimidate/Burn**: Intimidate and burn are less of an issue due to Swords Dance, but they can still cripple Scizor, lessening its damage output.

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi! I feel that this analysis should be split into two sets:

Swords Dance
########
move 3: Bug Bite
move 4: Knock Off / Protect
ability: Technician / Light Metal
item: Lum Berry / Scizorite
evs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe

The EVs outpace the neutral Tyranitar before you mega evolve which, while not anywhere near as common as before, means that you don't have to worry about rouge neutral spreads from preventing you using Bug Bite on it. I have listed ability and item orders to be relative to one another (Technician with Lum, Light Metal with Scizorite (as you get it post-mega anyway and there is very little reason NOT to mega as soon as you come in if you can aside from if you predict a Low Kick and you want to set up SD. Outside of that niche scenario, the only purpose it serves is getting Scizor in - which is far better than having a useless ability due to you mega evolving on turn one 99% of the time).

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Bullet Punch
move 2: Bug Bite
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Superpower
item: Choice Band

Swords Dance
########

The EVs outpace the neutral Tyranitar before you mega evolve which, while not anywhere near as common as before, means that you don't have to worry about rouge neutral spreads from preventing you using Bug Bite on it. I have listed ability and item orders to be relative to one another (Technician with Lum, Light Metal with Scizorite (as you get it post-mega anyway and there is very little reason NOT to mega as soon as you come in if you can aside from if you predict a Low Kick and you want to set up SD. Outside of that niche scenario, the only purpose it serves is getting Scizor in - which is far better than having a useless ability due to you mega evolving on turn one 99% of the time).

Choice Band
########
Definitely agree with this, although I do disagree with all the Speed investment.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion

Swords Dance
########

Choice Band
########
Alright I'll get it changed however I feel that the mega forme should be in other options since there really isn't a reason to use it since there are better megas out there. Thanks for the input!

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright I'll get it changed however I feel that the mega forme should be in other options since there really isn't a reason to use it since there are better megas out there. Thanks for the input!
Nah. M-Scizor is generally better as an SD user due to its superior bulk. IDK how you've got it into your head that regular Scizor is better as it is weaker without a boosting item, and if you use a boosting item it is going to be CB which locks you into one move. Also, there is a strategy called double megas that was born out of the fact that you could, you know, bring two megas due to only being able to bring 4 mons. Maybe un-slash Light Metal so that it can still be used if you want to bring both ur mega mons, but I don't know how you got it into your head that M-Scizor is bad.

Mega Scizor isn't bad, it is just that regular Scizor is also not bad, so sacrificing your mega slot for marginal improvement may not be worthwhile. To an extent Speed on Mega Scizor makes sense; however (Mega) Scizor's main draw over other Steel-types is its access to Technician Bullet Punch, so Speed isn't a primary concern. Knock Off should be slashed with Bug Bite as Protect is important to block attacks, especially with the Swords Dance boosts making Scizor a threat to your opponent so double targeting is likely. Choice Band is really OO materials it just has a bad match-up against too many common Pokemon.

Swords Dance
########
move 3: Bug Bite / Knock Off
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Nah. M-Scizor is generally better as an SD user due to its superior bulk. IDK how you've got it into your head that regular Scizor is better as it is weaker without a boosting item, and if you use a boosting item it is going to be CB which locks you into one move. Also, there is a strategy called double megas that was born out of the fact that you could, you know, bring two megas due to only being able to bring 4 mons. Maybe un-slash Light Metal so that it can still be used if you want to bring both ur mega mons, but I don't know how you got it into your head that M-Scizor is bad.
It was worded wrong so I apologize for that, but what i meant to say was that both of them are pretty similar in terms of movesets and what they do so using your mega slot for just a bit of improvement isn't the best imo especially since mega scizor loses the ability to hold something like lum berry. But yeah I'll add in Scizorite as an item choice.

I can give a full QC check in the morning, but I am very skeptical of how useful a choice band set is. I don't think I want it on the analysis unless someone can come forward with some convincing damage calcs for it over normal Scizor.

I can give a full QC check in the morning, but I am very skeptical of how useful a choice band set is. I don't think I want it on the analysis unless someone can come forward with some convincing damage calcs for it over normal Scizor.
Not really a fan of Choice now as well, so it should probably just be taken off. Also, I'd note the Iron Plate in Other Options as it gives a good boost to Bullet Punch without Life Orb damage.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
DPL Champion
Yeah I was pretty skeptical too so I was thinking of moving it to oo, I'm on my phone right now but I'll get it changed once I get back home

Sorry for not QCing this sooner, but here's what I'd like to see implemented:

• Mention in the overview that it faces stiff competition from similar Steel-types like Bisharp and Mega Mawile. Add that losing Steel Gem and missing those big Bullet Punch snipes takes it back a bit. Mention that WoW and Intimidate are really common and are a huge burden on Scizor. Remove the "can fit on any team" mention since I don't really think it does.
  • Severely reduce your Speed investment, max speed Tyranitar is not a relevant benchmark to outspeed. 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD sound good enough to me unless someone has some other EV spread to recommend.
  • Add Life Orb as a final slash after Lum Berry and Scizorite
  • Mention after the comment about using your defensive typing to switch in that it gives you an opportunity to SD
  • Give Rotom-W and Suicune mentions in teammates
  • Add Heatran to teammates since it helps deter Heat Wave users
  • Mention Dragon-types like Latios and Hydreigon since Scizor can switch into Fairy and Dragon-type moves aimed at them and kill Fairy-types
  • Remove the Meowstic mention
  • Mention Occa Berry in OO and recommend against it, explaining that even with it, you need some serious SpDef investment to live common weaker Heat Waves.
  • I'd like to see the type advantage mention in checks and counters split into individual points for Fire-types and then for Steel-types since there's a big difference on how well they counter Scizor.
Once that's done:

QC 1/2

Last edited:
ADD / CORRECTION
REMOVE
CAPITALIZE / LOWERCASE

Overview
########

Although the loss of the Steel Gem from Gen 5 weakened Scizor by not allowing it to Bullet Punch snipe, Scizor is still an amazing Pokemon in the VGC metagame due to its great typing, which is only weak to Fire-types, as well as decent bulk and many resistances. Scizor also boasts great offensive stats as well as being part Steel-type, which is a really nice offensive typing due to the rise of Fairy-types such as Sylveon. There also aren't that many great offensive Bug-types in the VGC metagame. Scizor, however, faces competition with similar Steel-types such as Bisharp, who is "immune" to Intimidate, and Mega Mawile. Scizor is also easily walled by common Pokemon in the meta such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Aegislash. Like most physical attackers, Scizor is severely crippled by Intimidate and Will-o-Wisp, both of which are very popular.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Scizor's moveset is fairly standard. Swords Dance allows you to boost Scizor's Attack to scary levels as well as mitigating the effects of Intimidate or Burn. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best priority move which works really well when combined with Swords Dance. Knock Off has more utility than Bug Bite as some bulkier Pokemon, like Cresselia, tend to run other items instead of Sitrus Berry and it also allows Scizor to hit Aegislash, one of Scizor's biggest counters, for super effective damage. Bug Bite, however, is a secondary STAB move and has more power than Knock Off as well as arguably being a better answer to most Rotom-W as it can steal its Sitrus Berry instead of just knocking it off. Protect is an important move for Scizor because once you do get up a Swords Dance, your opponent will most likely double-target Scizor to take it out before it can do any major damage. In that case, Protect will be able to buy you a turn.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is very straightforward. Max Attack EVs with an Adamant nature to maximize Scizor's damage output. A Brave nature can be used over Adamant should you choose to run Scizor on a Trick Room team. Max HP EVs to give Scizor bulk and since Speed isn't too necessary on Scizor as you'll be using Bullet Punch most of the time. Lum Berry is usually the preferred item as it allows Scizor to heal from a status (more than likely a Burn) which will come in handy quite a lot of times. Scizorite is another item choice that can help Scizor set up a Swords Dance easier since its mega form has better bulk than the original. Finally, Life Orb is an alternate item choice should you want to increase Scizor's damage output even more.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Scizor will rely on Bullet Punch as its main attacking move. Knock Off is another very spammable move and should be used when something bulky, like Thundurus, or something that will be crippled without its item, like Choice Scarf Landorus-T, is out. If you're using Bug Bite instead, it should be used when something resists Bullet Punch is out or when you suspect the Pokemon is carrying a Sitrus Berry. Due to Scizor's natural bulk as well as its Steel typing, it can switch into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur, and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can threaten out Fire-types are great partners for Scizor; one of which is Landorus-T who can provide Intimidate support, which further increases Scizor's bulk, as well as hitting Fire-types, such as Heatran, super effectively with Earthquake and Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Scizor fits very well on a Rain Dance team due to the rain weakening Fire attacks. Bulky Water-types are wonderful partners for Scizor too. Milotic is able to check many Fire-types as well as discouraging Intimidate due to its ability Competitive. Rotom-W and Suicune are great partners too as they check Fire-types while the former is able to cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp and the latter offering speed control and Snarl support. Dragon-types, such as Latios and Hydreigon, are good partners as well since Scizor can switch into Fairy and Dragon-type moves aimed at them with relative ease as well as being able to check Fairy-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########

Occa Berry is an option to mitigate Scizor's Fire weakness; however, even with it, Scizor still needs quite a lot of Sp Def investment to live common weaker Heat Waves. Choice Band is another option for maximum damage output, however, many common Pokemon resist Scizor's STAB and priority move such as Heatran and Thundurus.

Checks & Counters
########

• **Fire-types**: Fire-types completely counter Scizor since they resist both of its STAB moves and can KO it with relative ease. Heatran, Rotom-Heat, and Mega Charizard Y are all major counters to Scizor.
  • **Steel-types**: Many common Steel-types, like Aegislash, can completely wall Scizor and can either KO or use it as set-up fodder.
  • **Intimidate/Burn**: This is less of an issue due to Swords Dance but they can still cripple Scizor which causes his damage output to lessen.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
Overview
########

Although the loss of the Steel Gem from Gen 5 weakened Scizor by not allowing it to Bullet Punch snipe, Scizor is still an amazing Pokemon in the VGC metagame due to its great typing, which is only weak to Fire-types, as well as its decent bulk and many resistances. Scizor also boasts great offensive stats as well as being part Steel-type which is a really and Bug / Steel typing, which is a nice offensive typing due to the rise of Fairy-types such as Sylveon. There also aren't that many great offensive Bug-types in the VGC metagame. (not sure what the purpose of this sentence is. is it really necessary?) Scizor, however, faces competition with from similar Steel-types such as Bisharp, who which is "immune" to Intimidate, and Mega Mawile. Scizor is also easily walled by common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Aegislash. Like most physical attackers, Scizor is severely crippled by Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, both of which are very common popular.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Scizor's moveset is fairly standard. Swords Dance allows you too boost boosts Scizor's Attack to scary levels as well as mitigating the effects of Intimidate and burn or Burn. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best priority move which and works really well when combined with Swords Dance. Knock Off has more utility than Bug Bite, (comma) as some bulkier Pokemon, like such as Cresselia, (remove comma) tend to run other items instead of Sitrus Berry, (comma) and it also allows Scizor to hit Aegislash, one of Scizor's biggest counters, for super effective damage. Bug Bite, however, is a secondary STAB move and has with more power than Knock Off as well as arguably being and is arguably a better answer to most Rotom-W variants, as it can steal its the foe's Sitrus Berry instead of just knocking it off. Protect is an important move for Scizor because once you do get up a it gets a Swords Dance boost, your opponent will most likely double target Scizor to take it out before it can do any major damage. In that case, protecting using Protect will be able to buy you a turn.

Set Details
========

The EV spread is very straightforward. Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature to maximize Scizor's damage output. A Brave nature can be used over Adamant should you choose to run Scizor on a Trick Room team. Maximum HP EVs to give Scizor more bulk; Speed investment and since speed isn't too necessary on Scizor, (comma) as you'll it will be using Bullet Punch most of the time. Lum Berry is usually the preferred item, (comma) as it allows Scizor to heal from a status condition (more than likely a burn) which will come in handy quite a lot of times. Scizorite is another item choice that can help Scizor set up a Swords Dance easier, as Scizor's Mega forme has greater bulk since its mega form has better bulk than the original. Finally, Life Orb is another option alternate item choice should you want to increase Scizor's damage output even more.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Scizor will rely on Bullet Punch as its main attacking move. Knock Off is another very spammable move and should be used against bulky foes such as Thundurus or a Pokemon when something bulky, like Thundurus, or something that will be crippled without its item, like such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T, is out. If you're using running Bug Bite instead, it should be used when a Pokemon that something resists Bullet Punch is out or when you suspect the Pokemon is carrying a Sitrus Berry. Due to Scizor's naturally defensive bulk as well as its Steel typing, it can switch into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur, and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can threaten out Fire-types are great partners for Scizor; one of which is for example, Landorus-T who can provide Intimidate support, which further increases Scizor's bulk, as well as hitting Fire-types, such as Heatran, (remove comma) super effectively with Earthquake and Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Scizor fits very well on a rain team due to the rain weakening Fire-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are wonderful partners for Scizor, (comma) too.; (semicolon) Milotic is able to check many Fire-types as well as discouraginge Intimidate due to its ability Competitive. Rotom-W and Suicune are also great partners too as they that check Fire-types; while the former is able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and the latter offers offering speed control and Snarl support. Dragon-types, such as Latios and Hydreigon, are good partners as well, as since Scizor can switch into Fairy- and Dragon-type moves aimed at them with relative ease as well as being able to check Fairy-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########

Occa Berry is an option to mitigate Scizor's Fire weakness; however, even with it, Scizor still needs quite a lot of Sp Def Special Defense investment to live common survive even weaker Heat Waves. Choice Band is another option for maximum damage output,; (semicolon) however, many common Pokemon resist Scizor's STAB and priority moves, such as Heatran and Thundurus, so it isn't very helpful to be locked into one move.

Checks & Counters (reformat to be like this pls!)
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types completely counter Scizor, as since they resist both of its STAB moves and can KO it with relative ease. Heatran, Rotom-Heat, and Mega Charizard Y are all major counters to Scizor.

**Steel-types**: Many common Steel-types, like such as Aegislash, can completely wall Scizor and can either KO it or use it as setup fodder.

**Intimidate / Burns**: This is less of an issue due to Swords Dance, (comma) but they can still cripple Scizor, (comma) which causes his lessening its damage output to lessen.

Overview
########

Although the loss of Steel Gem weakened Scizor by not allowing it to Bullet Punch snipe, Scizor is still an amazing Pokemon in the VGC metagame due to its great typing, which is only weak to Fire, as well as its decent bulk and many resistances. Scizor also boasts great offensive stats and Bug / Steel typing, which is a nice offensive typing due to the rise of Fairy-types such as Sylveon. Scizor, however, faces competition from similar Steel-types such as Bisharp, which is "immune" to Intimidate, and Mega Mawile. Scizor is also easily walled by common Pokemon in the metagame, such as Thundurus, Heatran, and Aegislash. Like most physical attackers, Scizor is severely crippled by Intimidate and Will-O-Wisp, both of which are very common.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Scizor's Attack to scary levels as well as mitigating the effects of Intimidate and burn. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best priority move and works really well when combined with Swords Dance. Knock Off has more utility than Bug Bite, as some bulkier Pokemon such as Cresselia tend to run other items instead of Sitrus Berry, and it also allows Scizor to hit Aegislash, one of Scizor's biggest counters, for super effective damage. Bug Bite, however, is a secondary STAB move with more power than Knock Off and is arguably a better answer to most Rotom-W variants, as it can steal the foe's Sitrus Berry instead of just knocking it off. Protect is an important move for Scizor because once its (remove s) gets a Swords Dance boost, your opponent will most likely double target Scizor to take it out before it can do any major damage. In that case, using Protect will buy you a turn.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature maximize Scizor's damage output. A Brave nature can be used over Adamant should you choose to run Scizor on a Trick Room team. Maximum HP EVs give Scizor more bulk; Speed investment isn't too necessary on Scizor, as it will be using Bullet Punch most of the time. Lum Berry is usually the preferred item, as it allows Scizor to heal from a status condition (more than likely a burn) which will come in handy quite a lot of times. Scizorite is another item choice that can help Scizor set up Swords Dance easier, as Scizor's Mega forme has greater bulk. Finally, Life Orb is another option should you want to increase Scizor's damage output even more.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Scizor will rely on Bullet Punch as its main attacking move. Knock Off is another very spammable move and should be used against bulky foes such as Thundurus or a Pokemon that will be crippled without its item, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T. If running Bug Bite instead, it should be used when a Pokemon that resists Bullet Punch is out or when you suspect the Pokemon is carrying a Sitrus Berry. Due to Scizor's natural bulk as well as its Steel typing, it can switch into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur, and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can threaten out Fire-types are great partners for Scizor; for example, Landorus-T can provide Intimidate support, which further increases Scizor's bulk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Heatran super effectively with Earthquake and Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, and Talonflame with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Scizor fits very well on a rain team due to the rain weakening Fire-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are wonderful partners for Scizor, too; Milotic is able to check many Fire-types as well as discourage Intimidate due to its ability, (ac) Competitive. Rotom-W and Suicune are also great partners that check Fire-types; the former is able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp, (ac) and the latter offers speed control and Snarl support. Dragon-types, such as Latios and Hydreigon, are good partners as well, as Scizor can switch into Fairy- and Dragon-type moves aimed at them with relative ease as well as check Fairy-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########

Occa Berry is an option to mitigate Scizor's Fire weakness; however, even with it, Scizor still needs quite a lot of Special Defense investment to survive even common weaker Heat Waves. Choice Band is another option for maximum damage output; however, many common Pokemon resist Scizor's STAB and priority moves such as Heatran and Thundurus, so it isn't very helpful to be locked into one move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types completely counter Scizor as they resist both of its STAB moves and can KO it with relative ease. Heatran, Rotom-H, and Mega Charizard Y are all major counters to Scizor.

**Steel-types**: Many common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, can completely wall Scizor and can either KO it or use it as setup fodder.

**Intimidate / Burns**: This is less of an issue due to Swords Dance, but they can still cripple Scizor, lessening its damage output.

And that's all she wrote. Otherwise, it looks good to me.

edit: I always forget to add this! Not that it's particularly hard to intuit...
add, remove, (comments).

edit2: I know I can't stamp this, but it may encourage someone else to wander by?

Add / Correction
Remove
Comment

**Amcheck**

Overview
########

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Scizor's Attack to scary levels as well as mitigating the effects of Intimidate and burn. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best priority move and works really well when combined with Swords Dance. Knock Off has more utility than Bug Bite, as some bulkier Pokemon such as Cresselia tend to run other items instead of Sitrus Berry, and it also allows Scizor to hit Aegislash, one of Scizor's biggest counters, for super effective damage. Bug Bite, (RC) however, is a secondary STAB move with more power than Knock Off and is arguably a better answer to most Rotom-W variants, as it can steal the foe's Sitrus Berry instead of just knocking it off. Protect is an important move for Scizor because once its gets a Swords Dance boost, your opponent will most likely double target Scizor to take it out before it can do any major damage. In that case, using Protect will buy you a turn.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature maximize Scizor's damage output. A Brave nature can be used over Adamant should you choose to run Scizor on a Trick Room team. Maximum HP EVs give Scizor more bulk; Speed investment isn't too necessary on Scizor, as it will be using Bullet Punch most of the time. Lum Berry is usually the preferred item, as it allows Scizor to heal from a status condition (more than likely a burn) which will come in handy quite a lot of times. Scizorite is another item choice that can help Scizor set up Swords Dance easier, as Scizor's Mega forme has greater bulk. Finally, (RC) Life Orb is another option should you want to increase Scizor's damage output even more.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Scizor will rely on Bullet Punch as its main attacking move. Knock Off is another very (I say this over and over out loud. "Very" doesn't sound right in this sentence.) spammable move and should be used against bulky foes such as Thundurus or a Pokemon that will be crippled without its item, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T. If running Bug Bite instead, it should be used when a Pokemon that resists Bullet Punch is out or when you suspect the Pokemon is carrying a Sitrus Berry. Due to Scizor's natural bulk as well as its Steel typing, it can switch into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur, and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can threaten out Fire-types are great partners for Scizor; for example, Landorus-T can provide Intimidate support, which further increases Scizor's bulk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Heatran super effectively with Earthquake and Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, (Hmm...I'm kinda iffy on this comma here. Even though you're listing, the "second-to-last thing," it kind of makes "and" irrelevant. But you can leave the comma there.) and Talonflame with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Scizor fits very well on a rain team due to the rain weakening Fire-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are wonderful partners for Scizor, too; Milotic is able to check many Fire-types as well as discourage Intimidate due to its ability Competitive. Rotom-W and Suicune are also great partners that check Fire-types; the former is able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and the latter offers speed control and Snarl support. Dragon-types, such as Latios and Hydreigon, are good partners as well, as Scizor can switch into Fairy- and Dragon-type moves aimed at them with relative ease as well as check Fairy-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########

Occa Berry is an option to mitigate Scizor's Fire weakness; however, even with it, (RC) (I wouldn't read the comma to be fair. I feel this pause is unneeded.) Scizor still needs quite a lot of Special Defense investment to survive even common weaker Heat Waves. Choice Band is another option for maximum damage output; however, (could replace it with "although." Just feels like however is overused) many common Pokemon resist Scizor's STAB and priority moves such as Heatran and Thundurus, so it isn't very helpful to be locked into one move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types completely counter Scizor, (AC) as they resist both of its STAB moves and can KO it with relative ease. Heatran, Rotom-H, and Mega Charizard Y are all major counters to Scizor.

**Steel-types**: Many (Hmm, I'd like to hear more common Steel-types other than Aegislash that I need to watch out for.) common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, can completely wall Scizor and can either KO it or use it as setup fodder.

**Intimidate / Burns**: This is less of an issue due to Swords Dance, but they can still cripple Scizor, lessening its damage output.

Tagging GatoDelFuego for a check.

I'm sorry but...P Squared already checked it. ;_;

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tinuviel Your added commas aren't entirely necessary, but the 'its' correction was good. Be sure that's implemented, DaAwesomeDude1. I'll work over lucina's check now

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

Overview
########

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

Swords Dance boosts Scizor's Attack to scary levels as well as mitigating and mitigates the effects of Intimidate and burn. Bullet Punch is Scizor's best priority move and works really well when combined with Swords Dance. Knock Off has more utility than Bug Bite, as some bulkier Pokemon such as Cresselia tend to run other items instead of Sitrus Berry, and it also allows Scizor to hit Aegislash, one of Scizor's biggest counters, for super effective damage. Bug Bite, (RC) leave this comma there however, is a secondary STAB move with has more power than Knock Off and is arguably a better answer to most Rotom-W variants, as it can steal the foe's Sitrus Berry instead of just knocking it off. Protect is an important move for Scizor because once its gets a Swords Dance boost, your opponent will most likely double target Scizor to take it out before it can do any major damage. In that case, using Protect will buy you a turn.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack EVs with an Adamant nature maximize Scizor's damage output. A Brave nature can be used over Adamant should you choose to run Scizor on a Trick Room team. Maximum HP EVs give Scizor more bulk; Speed investment isn't too necessary on Scizor, as it will be using Bullet Punch most of the time. Lum Berry is usually the preferred item, as it allows Scizor to heal from a status condition (more than likely a burn) which will come in handy quite a lot of times. Scizorite is another item choice that can help Scizor set up Swords Dance easier, as Mega Scizor's Mega forme has greater bulk. Finally, (RC) Keep this as well Life Orb is another option should you want to increase Scizor's damage output even more.

Usage Tips
========

Most of the time, Scizor will rely on Bullet Punch as its main attacking move. Knock Off is another very (I say this over and over out loud. "Very" doesn't sound right in this sentence.) I can set the reasoning here; another + very + adjective can sound a bit odd spammable move and should be used against bulky foes such as Thundurus or a Pokemon that will be crippled without its item, such as Choice Scarf Landorus-T. If running Bug Bite instead, it should be used when a Pokemon that resists Bullet Punch is out or when you suspect the Pokemon is carrying a Sitrus Berry. Due to Scizor's natural bulk as well as its Steel typing, it can switch into many Pokemon with ease, such as Sylveon, Mega Kangaskhan, Mega Metagross, and Mega Venusaur, and set up a Swords Dance.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that can threaten out Fire-types are great partners for Scizor. (period) For example, Landorus-T can provide Intimidate support, which further increases Scizor's bulk, as well as hit Fire-types such as Heatran super effectively with Earthquake and Rotom-H, Mega Charizard Y, (Hmm...I'm kinda iffy on this comma here. Even though you're listing, the "second-to-last thing," it kind of makes "and" irrelevant. But you can leave the comma there.) Nope. This is the proper use of the serial comma. and Talonflame with Rock Slide or Stone Edge. Scizor fits very well on a rain team due to the rain weakening Fire-type attacks. Bulky Water-types are wonderful partners for Scizor, too; Milotic is able to check many Fire-types as well as discourage Intimidate due to its ability Competitive. Rotom-W and Suicune are also great partners that check Fire-types; the former is able to cripple physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and the latter offers speed control and Snarl support. Dragon-types, such as Latios and Hydreigon, are good partners as well, as Scizor can switch into Fairy- and Dragon-type moves aimed at them with relative ease as well as check Fairy-types that threaten them.

Other Options
########

Occa Berry is an option to mitigate Scizor's Fire weakness; however, even with it, (RC) (I wouldn't read the comma to be fair. I feel this pause is unneeded.) "Even with it Scizor still needs" is a bit of a wonky sentence. 'Even with it' is a separated clause; the comma is needed here. Scizor still needs quite a lot of Special Defense investment to survive even common weaker Heat Waves. Choice Band is another option for maximum damage output; however, (could replace it with "although." Just feels like however is overused) In general, I avoid connecting words after semicolons. I'd say just started a new sentence. 'however' being overused isn't really an issue tho !_! many common Pokemon, (AC) such as Heatran and Thundurus, (AC) resist Scizor's STAB and priority moves such as Heatran and Thundurus, so it isn't very helpful to be locked into one move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fire-types**: Fire-types completely counter Scizor, (AC) as they resist both of its STAB moves and can KO it with relative ease. Heatran, Rotom-H, and Mega Charizard Y are all major counters to Scizor.

**Steel-types**: Many (Hmm, I'd like to hear more common Steel-types other than Aegislash that I need to watch out for.) I agree. Add a couple more common Steel-types, such as Aegislash, can completely wall Scizor and can either KO it or use it as setup fodder.

**Intimidate/Burns**: This is Intimidate and burn are less of an issue due to Swords Dance, but they can still cripple Scizor, lessening its damage output.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)