Other OU Player of the Week #13: Reverb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by me

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project
where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it!

Reverb
Most Known For:
Being a global PS moderator, OU room RO, OU forum moderator.

Favorite Pokémon:
I'd have to say Slowbro. He just looks cool.

Most used Pokémon:
Probably Empoleon. It's really just an elegant entity. It's also vastly underrated. You can EV it to always live a Lando-T EQ, and it can set rocks, phase, and Defog. It should be at least B+ on viability rankings.

Where did you get your name from?
I was originally Rhybomb14 on Purplesurge IRC (this was circa 2008). I was admitted into a clan, but was subsequently banned from the room for advertising the clan in the Serebii wifi chat. I changed to this name on a whim (styled ReVeRb) in order to conceal my identity and reenter the clan channel.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I've also enjoyed competition. When I was a child, my mother sent me to a special counselor for sportsmanship issues because I was incredibly boastful when I won and vitriolic when I lost. To be honest, to this day I still hate losing, especially to no-name players. In fact, whenever one of those players pulls an upset on the ladder, they almost certainly saved a replay. Hence, I save a lot of my wins to conceal my losses to ladder randoms, even though most of those losses are based on hax/me laddering while distracted (as you can see, my sportsmanship is great now!).

Anyway, I started on Serebii IRC and was in a punch of clans. I've met a number of users there who are now active in the Smogon community. For example, I met reyscarface in 2008. He actually was really into his burgeoning YT channel back then (link:
). I also met Prankster Squirrel. StarkGod, Steven Snype, and aim from a clan called MassDestruction, or MD (Stark and Steven were not in MD).

In February of 2009, after months of lurking, I finally joined Smogon. I was quite active during gen 4, but took a hiatus during much of gen 5, as I did not enjoy playing that generation. When XY came along, Game Freak addressed many of the aspects of the game that I did not like. They reverted sleep mechanics and removed permanent weather. Additionally, the crit and Steel nerfs, along with the introduction of Fairy types, helped the game.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
I actually prefer it because it feels more offensively oriented (despite the proliferation of -Mega-Sableye stall). I don't like slow games...lol.

Anything that stands out as being banworthy?
Baton Pass. I've been harassing Haunter for months to ban it from OU. Geopass is absolute cancer that takes no skill to use. Every time I lose to someone who uses that team I am filled with intense acrimony. I really just want to flame them, but I can't because I'm a global mod and that would be gauche.

Reverb EDIT:
Mega Metagross is also borked af

Favorite Generation of OU?
I actually like this generation the most. My style always involved a lot of switching, and in previous gens that meant revealing my team. With team preview, that is no longer such a big deal. Also, before team preview, one was much more vulnerable to bad lead match-ups. Moreover, Fairy types and the Steel nerf has led a less centralized game. Part of the reason I hated gen 5 was because it was so weather-centralized. With the weather nerf, there are more opportunities to be creative with teams.

What’s your favorite playstyle and why?
I likely bulky offense or balance. I can play a fast game with them. At the same time, I'm able to utilize switching. HO isn't really conducive to switching, and I get so bored playing stall that I invariably make some inaccurate moves.

What tips do you have for people who want to become "Ladder Heroes"?
Just play a lot. Through hard work, you'll become a strong enough player to get to the top of the ladder. That being said, you'll need a strong fundamental knowledge of the game. So make sure to read germane threads on Smogon and watch high level battlers.

How do you feel about how ladder games compare to tournament games?
I mean once you get to the top of the ladder, you'll be able to get some good games. That being said, tournament players tend to be stronger as a group. Of course, I think there's a certain degree of negative bias toward ladder players. A lot of people call ben gay or C05ta ladder heroes, but I think they're just as good as anyone else.

Do you have any advice for newer players, and for Smogon in general?
You'll get the game eventually, just make sure to play a lot and don't be discouraged by failure. Also, definitely sign up for a tutor if you're serious about improving. If you want to participate on the forums, avail yourself to the rules, so you don't get in trouble. Also, think before you post. One salient and cogent post is infinitely better than twenty mediocre posts.

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
I definitely look up to Haunter (who's also a fren), who definitely personifies a strong contributor. He's also highly accessible to the commoners, which is a plus. In terms of other friends, I don't like to rank people, but I've known Prankster. StarkGod and Squirrel. for roughly six years, and they're definitely cool people. Steven Snype is dope too, although I don't see him as much. I also definitely like my French frens, like Gros Orteil, who help me improve my French proficiency. If you aren't mentioned, it doesn't mean we aren't frens, it just means I don't feel like going through a list lol.

Finally, can you provide us a team that’s a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle?

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Punch

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Recover
- Substitute

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Superpower

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Secret Sword

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 32 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 220 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Empoleon @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 52 SpD / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Roar
- Defog

Lopunny is a dope af. Fake Out pretty much means I'll also be in a decent position leading with it. Celebi is used to tank special hits and pass bulky subs (I don't actually hate BP by itself, but stat-passing is lame). Tyranitar is an excellent trapper and CB means it scores plenty of surprise kills. Keldeo checks Bisharp and is just a lord. Lando-T is for U-turn momentum and revenging. Finally, Empoleon is the epitome of a utility poke.

---

So there it is. If you have any questions for Reverb, leave them down below. I'd like to thank him once again for doing this, and see you next week!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What is your favorite food?
What was the first pokemon you got to level 100?
My favorite food is probably sushi. That being said, I'm privileged to live in the NYC area, where I have access to a plethora of interesting foods. I'll actually eat pretty much anything that doesn't contain milk (I hate cheese more than hell).

My first Pokemon to level 100 was my Typhlosion in Pokemon Gold. I wasn't as dedicated with my first game (Pokemon Blue), and so I never got any of them to level 100 until much later. I should note, however, that in Blue I accidentally released my starter Venusaur because I wanted to get it out of the PC, and I did not know what "deposit" and "withdraw" meant, as I was 6 years old.

how u express urself in such a succinct and assertive way

ur eloquence has always impressed me, more so than some of the doubles uve pulled in ladder replays

fave member of rocket power?
Thanks for the compliment. I try to write well. Moreover, I prefer concise writing because time is money, my nigga.

Let's see, probably Tito because of his infinite wisdom (s/o user tito).
Hello, Reverb! I have a few questions for you:
1) How does it feel to be most influential jew on Smogon/PS?
2) Should user: Trickster put a star next to his name?
3) Can you share with us your opinion on user: Lil Manaphy?
It's nice to see Jews finally having some control behind the scenes.

Trickster should definitely put a star next to his name. He needs to bask in his shame. He makes Darnell look "not terrible."

I enjoy user Lil Manaphy. What I don't enjoy is this asinine meme that I have a crush on her. She's 16, and I'm not some creepy pervert like WECAMEASROMANS.

Btw, nice job with your English! I see those lessons are really working for you!

What do you consider to be an underrated OU threat?

Which Uber tier Pokemon, if any, do you think should be suspected for OU?

Do you actually play chess?

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How much, exactly, did you beg for this?

How do you stand Haunter, despite the fact that he thinks Jews are the scourge of the Earth?

Express your true and undying love for lil manaphy. Be completely honest.

What do you think of the current metagame? Do you think it's balanced? I know you said you dislike Baton Pass, but are there any other things that you would consider banworthy?

I know you said that you think Empoleon is underrated, but is there anything else that you think is underrated in OU right now?

Can we get a new banner for this thread b/c Greninja is banned? No offense, Clone. make it Empoleon for Reverb

Okay, real question time: Who you got to win OST?

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
REVERB SUCKS

Reverb when will you admit your homolove for me isnt a farce? Im ready to accept you with open arms <3

Actually after reading this, it's really refreshing to learn some things about your competititve battling ideals. I can agree that Geopass is lame and requires little effort but i dont nessiusarily agree with outright banning Baton pass. Carry more Whimsicott niggawatch that bitch Smeargle fall.

Also you're pretty cool, keep up bein a boss mang.

Are you a half glass full or half glass empty kind of gal?

How Jewish do you actually consider yourself? Would you say youre a devout Jew? Do you pay a lot of heed to the holidays? What size is your Yamaka?

What do you think is the single best pokemon in the current metagame?

What exactly is a doge? Explain in great detail.

What is your favorite meme?

Thanks in advance Reverb!

If you want to ban Baton Pass, then why would you give us a sample team featuring Baton Pass Celebi? Or are you not wanting to completely ban the move, only stuff like GeoPass?

Scotti

we back.
Hello frens I have some important questions for you.

Are you black???
How often do you stare at pics of lil manaphy???
Why are you and wcar addicted to pics of young girls?
How did you seduce clone?
Whats your favorite playstyle?
Do you have a mon you put on most of your teams?
How do you feel about ost and spl?
Do you miss no team preview?

I will be satisfied if you answered these.

Do you miss Dallaren?
How do you feel about User: Prankster giving up his mod?
[14:53] #Reverb: i mean the nazi's did some good. e.g. persecuted gays
^ What's with the hate bro? :D
And finally, can you change your stance on Geopass as all my ladder teams rely on it as I am garbage.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
What do you consider to be an underrated OU threat?

Which Uber tier Pokemon, if any, do you think should be suspected for OU?

Do you actually play chess?
I think Conkeldurr is very much underrated. The AV set checks a number of special attackers, and Drain Punch means it's tricky to KO thanks to pseudo-healing. Aegislash might be worth testing again since there are plenty of new threats. Also, the vote to ban it in the first place was very close. And yes, I do play chess. My IRL rating is ~1630, which is a B rank player. That is one step below A rank, two steps below candidate master (expert), and three below master. I actually think I play around 1750 strength, however; I just haven't been able to do too many tournaments lately.
How much, exactly, did you beg for this?

How do you stand Haunter, despite the fact that he thinks Jews are the scourge of the Earth?

Express your true and undying love for lil manaphy. Be completely honest.

What do you think of the current metagame? Do you think it's balanced? I know you said you dislike Baton Pass, but are there any other things that you would consider banworthy?

I know you said that you think Empoleon is underrated, but is there anything else that you think is underrated in OU right now?
I don't beg hoe. Haunter loves Jews more than he loves Olive Garden (and that's a lot).

I like Lil Manaphy as a friend...see my earlier posts you freak. Just because she's a girl, doesn't mean you should gang up on her anyway. You should, however, gang up on gizmotron. He personifies cancer. I like the current metagame except for Mega Metagross and Mega Sableye. I also hate playing Mega Sableye stall. Conkeldurr is underrated (see earlier in this post).
Can we get a new banner for this thread b/c Greninja is banned? No offense, Clone. make it Empoleon for Reverb

Okay, real question time: Who you got to win OST?
Bloo is the best ORAS OU player in my opinion, so he should be more likely to win than anyone else.

16 is legal, at least in America ;). Not that it matters because AM already called dibs.

What's your favorite battle music?
Age of consent laws vary by state, actually. AM has a small penis. I find battle music distracting, and I usually prefer to play battles with just the Pokemon sounds.

REVERB SUCKS

Reverb when will you admit your homolove for me isnt a farce? Im ready to accept you with open arms <3

Actually after reading this, it's really refreshing to learn some things about your competititve battling ideals. I can agree that Geopass is lame and requires little effort but i dont nessiusarily agree with outright banning Baton pass. Carry more Whimsicott niggawatch that bitch Smeargle fall.

Also you're pretty cool, keep up bein a boss mang.
Sorry dude, I don't swing that way. Also, <3 u2 playboy.
Are you a half glass full or half glass empty kind of gal?

How Jewish do you actually consider yourself? Would you say youre a devout Jew? Do you pay a lot of heed to the holidays? What size is your Yamaka?

What do you think is the single best pokemon in the current metagame?

What exactly is a doge? Explain in great detail.

What is your favorite meme?

Thanks in advance Reverb!
I'm not very devout nor do I look particularly Jewish. Moreover, my last name is Anglicized. I like holidays because they're fun, but I'm not really one to appreciate their religious significance. Also, my father, not my mother, is Jewish, so I'm not considered Jewish by Orthodox Jews...whatever. The best Pokemon right now is probably Mega Metagross; it can sweep with minimal support. A doge is a dog iirc. What's a meme?
I get the feeling your real name is Devin Chen? Is that so?
Also, who is the qtest girl on PS or smogon?
Nah homie, that's Water Drone. Also, idrk, but have them submit photos to me, and I will gladly judge lel.
Really looking forward to your response to Haunter....
I'll check back.

Ps stop putting Emp on every fucking team.
Already responded to Haunter. And that is an exaggeration.

If you want to ban Baton Pass, then why would you give us a sample team featuring Baton Pass Celebi? Or are you not wanting to completely ban the move, only stuff like GeoPass?
Good question. I think stat-passing is broken. That Celebi only passes Subs. I do, however, want Baton Pass banned altogether because I find complex bans to be convoluted.

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey, Reverb :]

What's your fav gen and why? (in game and competitive)

If you were able to give a mon a mega what would it be?

Onto a more serious question, what is you thought process when weighing risks and rewards when making big plays and is there any "advanced" tips you would share on this topic?

Also since we never got to teambuilding before school screwed up our tutoring sessions, what do you look for specifically when trying to support a core or mon your building around?

Thanks in advance n_n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)