The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Jack Del Rio to the Raiders seems like a nearly done deal. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't know anything about him but I read his Wikipedia article.
He helped Baltimore win 15ish years ago as a defensive coordinator, which is good.
He coached in Jacksonville and almost went .500. Being in the same division as Peyton kinda sucks but only having two playoff appearances in an 8 year span isn't great. It sounds like he fixed their defense pretty well; I'm assuming their offense was defunct and couldn't keep scoring. That's a real issue because we have Carr and a bunch of pretty young receivers. This year Carr showed he can put up points when we're rolling but we need good offensive performances (almost) every week, not four times per season...
Del Rio was also defensive coordinator in Denver, and here's where things get weird. Great defense for Tebow. Peyton comes to town. Terrible defense all of a sudden. Did the players just get lazy assuming 35 points a game? I don't know. The lack of defensive play pissed me off in the Colts-Broncos game this weekend, for example, keeping Talib on TY despite the fact TY was getting open at will breaking inside. No adjustments were made by the coaching staff until around the 4th quarter.

In all I guess he seems alright, provided we have a BALLER OC. Suffering through games of dominant defense and stagnant offense is not something I want to do for the next 2-5 years, especially since Carr will turn into Alex Smith.
Thoughts?

del rio took the jaguars to the playoffs with david garrard as QB, and i think carr will be way better than garrard ever was, so there is some hope, raiders fans. plus peyton will be retiring soon, so in a couple years raiders wont have to suffer 2 automatic losses per season when they play the broncos.

So Jack Del Rio to the Raiders seems like a nearly done deal. I'm not sure how I feel about this. I don't know anything about him but I read his Wikipedia article.
He helped Baltimore win 15ish years ago as a defensive coordinator, which is good.
He coached in Jacksonville and almost went .500. Being in the same division as Peyton kinda sucks but only having two playoff appearances in an 8 year span isn't great. It sounds like he fixed their defense pretty well; I'm assuming their offense was defunct and couldn't keep scoring. That's a real issue because we have Carr and a bunch of pretty young receivers. This year Carr showed he can put up points when we're rolling but we need good offensive performances (almost) every week, not four times per season...
Del Rio was also defensive coordinator in Denver, and here's where things get weird. Great defense for Tebow. Peyton comes to town. Terrible defense all of a sudden. Did the players just get lazy assuming 35 points a game? I don't know. The lack of defensive play pissed me off in the Colts-Broncos game this weekend, for example, keeping Talib on TY despite the fact TY was getting open at will breaking inside. No adjustments were made by the coaching staff until around the 4th quarter.

In all I guess he seems alright, provided we have a BALLER OC. Suffering through games of dominant defense and stagnant offense is not something I want to do for the next 2-5 years, especially since Carr will turn into Alex Smith.
Thoughts?

What are you talking about dude? Del Rios defense was mediocre in 11 and didn't step up until Peyton got there. They were great in 12 and 14 and managed to not get run on in 13. I don't blame Del Rio for the game last sunday either. They were going up against the best passing offense in the league while their own offense couldn't do anything. Del Rio will be fine as the head coach, just don't expect him to beat Peyton.

So Niners made Tomsula the HC over Fangio...I'm sorry, but they only reason they picked him probably is because he's a yes man to that fucking idiot Baalke and York. Yes Tomsula is a likeable guy. He won 1 game as intermittent HC and has loyally stuck around through Singletary and Harbaugh. But the simple fact is, it pretty much just screams cronyism, of everyone the Niners interviewed he's the only one who's a yes man who isn't going to threaten management's ugly interfering grip.

So it's nothing against Tomsula, I really do like him. Just not as the next HC for the Niners. The situation all around it just stinks, I will hopefully be wrong, but unless they start winning playoff games this year, I imagine others are probably having similar thoughts.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Matchups this weekend that will largely decide the outcomes of the game and/or will be interesting to watch. In no paricular order:

GREEN BAY at SEATTLE:

Green Bay Front 7 vs Marshawn Lynch
Green Bay Front 7 vs Russell Wilson on the miracle movements
Bobby Wagner vs Eddie Lacy
Green Bay Receiving Corps vs Legion of Boom
--> Subset: Jordy Nelson vs Richard Sherman (If they chose to do so)
Painkillers vs Aaron Rodgers Calf
Rain (???) vs Ball Carrying

INDIANAPOLIS at NEW ENGLAND:

Dan Herron vs Jamie Collins/Donta Hightower
Andrew Luck vs Patriots Secondary
Patriots (Lack of) Pass Rush vs Andrew Luck's legs
Colts Defense vs The Colts Defenses inability to stop the run

Rob Gronkowski
Tom Brady vs Humility and Being Soft-Spoken
Snow (???) vs everyone except Tom Brady

Ones in Italics will decide the games imo.

Bears hire Fox, I can see that one going down in flames. Fox isn't that great of a coach unless he has good players to basically manage, which Chicago doesn't have much of. Another year of Tretsman couldn't have been much worse of an option than Fox imo.

I always thought Del Rio was decent, he did good work with the Jags and he has roots in Oakland. I can see them making progress assuming they don't start doing BS draft moves and signing aging bad players again.

I'm still unsure honestly whether Roman was hindered by just bad play calling on his part, being stuck with Crapernick, or what. Not to mention their rather horrid decisions to abandon the running game even when it's working. Guess we'll see what he can do with EJ.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I'm still unsure honestly whether Roman was hindered by just bad play calling on his part, being stuck with Crapernick, or what. Not to mention their rather horrid decisions to abandon the running game even when it's working. Guess we'll see what he can do with EJ.
The past two years, his offensive was actually quite efficient, placing 10th and 11th in yards per play. I didn't watch any Niners games, so I can't pass judgment on what the problem was, but Roman is a creative coach who should be able to get more out of what the Bills have.

Also, fucking Chan Gailey might be chosen as the OC for the Jets. If that happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see CJ Spiller sign there in the off-season, because Gailey knows how to use him and made him a superstar in 2012. Fucking Marrone ruined Spiller.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
welp it was a good season. to almost get to the superbowl on aaron rodgers dead leg was impressive. gg seahawks and good luck against the patriots with those interceptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)