Challenge The Gauntlet Challenge: 2.0

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Celever
Damn, nice rule challenge. Yes, that counts as one since they require each other to work. Couple quick questions though; what about Genderless Pokemon? There are quite a few of those. Also, if a whole team of a gender gets knocked out, I presume I'm allowed to switch over to the other team?
When you catch a genderless Pokémon, flip a coin. Heads = male, tails = female.

Yeah, when a whole team is knocked out you can switch over to the other team.

Jimera0 I'm giving you a slightly modified version of the Event challenge that Jimmy threw away.

Solo Lance using Lugia.
That seems kind of easy for a "hard" Gauntlet. Want to maybe put some additional restrictions on there? Making me use Lugia seems like it makes the game EASIER not harder.

EDIT:
Also I just realized that most Solos are out of the question anyway unless the thing being solo'd has no way to lower my stats, due to my first Rule challenge requiring me to switch my my stats are lowered (for example, Lance's Aerodactyl has Crunch). Maybe try something other than a solo?

Last edited:

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
I give you, Jimera0, a rule challenge:

You may only use items in-battle as many times as your opponent has.

Until your opponent uses their hyper potion or x-attack or what have you, you can't use your own items in a pokemon battle. Then, after they use an item, you too can use one item. If they used two full restores, then you can use two items that whole battle. Etc.

We're just leveling the playing field here, no unfair advantage over the npc's and their limited resources. Fair's fair.

I give you, Jimera0, a rule challenge:

You may only use items in-battle as many times as your opponent has.

Until your opponent uses their hyper potion or x-attack or what have you, you can't use your own items in a pokemon battle. Then, after they use an item, you too can use one item. If they used two full restores, then you can use two items that whole battle. Etc.

We're just leveling the playing field here, no unfair advantage over the npc's and their limited resources. Fair's fair.
Perfect! That's the last Rule challenge I need then. Just need Event challenges now! For those who are lazy, my post with all the challenges I've got so far is here.

Kadew

*bird sounds*
is an Artist Alumnus
And another challenge for Jimera0

Event Challenge: Karen is the enemy no.1 of Smogon philosophy, so clearly we need to prove her wrong. By the time you reach the elite four, there should be a member of your party that is a standout, that is your favorite, that is your closest friend. Box that pokémon. We aren't about to stand for "win with their favorites" here. Enter the elite four with the remaining five.

Alright, Jimera. An event challenge for you.

HGSS is known for two things: fancy Pokéballs and terrible level curve. Let's put the former aside and focus on the latter. Rather than bore you with annoying, unnecessary backstory, I'll just cut straight to the point: you may not have any Pokemon above level 65 in the battle against Red.

Second challenge: We all know the pain and horror that is Whitney's Miltank, destroyer of worlds back when we were little. Indeed, when we beat it we felt like the strongest Trainer on the playground. Maybe we still find the dreaded rolling cow impossible to take on today. It in itself is already a hefty challenge, so I'm just gonna make it a teensy bit more difficult and say that you may not be a higher level than it, and may not use SE moves against it.

Last edited:
[quote="turskain, post: 5949138, member: 228777]jimmythebass, if you need more, have one for the Sky Pillar since your run ends at Deoxys:

Event Challenge: you may not use physical moves against Wallace at the entrance to the Sky Pillar AND you may not use special moves against Zinnia at the top of the Sky Pillar. Additionally, Rayquaza must not be used in the battle with Zinnia to keep things even.[/quote]

As jimera pointed out, this is 2 challenges. I'll accept not using physical moves against Wallace. As for using ray, it's not like his bst is below 475 :P

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Jimera0 - I'll throw another easy little one at you.

Event - You must fight Clair using the three lowest-level Pokemon in your party. This gives you room to have an HM slave and then the two other weakest in your party. Shouldn't be all that bad if you're being fair. ;)

Jimera0 - I'll throw another easy little one at you.

Event - You must fight Clair using the three lowest-level Pokemon in your party. This gives you room to have an HM slave and then the two other weakest in your party. Shouldn't be all that bad if you're being fair. ;)
Deino, you already gave me two XD

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
Jimera0 Event challenge incoming!

DOUBLEDIT: You must buy one of each item you can find in each department store!

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
21:38 Jimera0 btw if you want to you can give me a second event challenge too

I do believe you should do this, then!

You must place first place with each member of your party in the Pokethlon!

All those that do not must skip one Gym Leader battle per Pokemon not skipped!

(e.g. if one Pokemon does it, then 5 pokemon each skip 1, if 5 Pokemon do it, one pokemon skips 5 GLs)

Also, you can't place first with all of them cuz RSNS

Last edited:
UllarWarlord

Your second event challenge, well we already talked about how it wouldn't work (tedious and I won't have a stable team due to the "2 lives" challenge, which screws with the conditions of this challenge).

Your first challenge, now that I've seen it and had some time to think on it, is also problematic, though mostly because you didn't specifiy WHEN I had to go on my shopping spree. You see, without a "when" it just becomes a rule challenge in a way, meaning I have to buy 1 of each item before I reach the end of my challenge. If you pick a "when" I'll accept it. However keep in mind that in order to buy everything once a the Goldenrod Department store I need significantly over 100,000 pokemon dollars, a quantity of money I won't be able to obtain until fairly late in the game.

Until then the floor is open for other people to give me event challenges I'm afraid.

EDIT: My signature now links to my ACTUAL current gauntlet now instead of the old one, so click that if you need to see the request post. Still looking for 2 event challenges, unless Ullar fixes his first :P

Last edited:

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
ok then

new event challenge: you must put at least half of Erika's team to sleep during the battle with her.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
SECOND EVENT CHELLONJ Jimera0

When you fight the grunt nearby Cerulean, you must show him mercy.

In order to do this, you must use False Swipe on each of his Pokemon - it can be your only direct attacking move. I do not prohibit you from using other kidns fo damage, but any move that causes a major status condition (burn, poison, sleep, freeze or paralyze) is right out.

EDIT: addendum: he must be forced to come to his senses and surrender as well! His Pokemon can only faint thru confusion self-dmg!

I've accepted UllarWarlord's new challenges and now I'm all good to go! I'll be making a Let's Play thread soon for this gauntlet, so stay tuned for that!

I'm going to be getting my feet wet again with my first Gauntlet run! I'll be playing Platinum, and I'd like 3 rules, 6 events. I want to be challenged and entertained but I don't want to feel like I'm going to be utterly boned the entire time I'm playing this so keep that in mind. I also don't really like perma death all that much but if you can make it interesting I may accept it. I'll be playing through the completion of the Post Story Stark Mountain quest.

Rule Challenges 3/3

1. Cannot use any moves with 90 BP or higher(Variable BP moves exempt) -Jimera0
2. Pokemon used to land the final blow against a gym leader must be immediately boxed ASAP after the battle, never to be used again. -Jimera0
3. Can only use two Pokemon ranked High Tier according to the In-Game Tier List in the party at any given time. - Deinosaur

Event Challenges 6/6

1. Can't use evolved Pokemon in Team Galactic's building in Eterna City. -Naix
  2. When in Hearthome Gym, entire team is under the effect of Torment(cannot use the same move twice in a row). -Naix
  3. Must only use physical moves against Crasher Wake. -Hitmonleet
  4. Fire and Fighting type moves are banned while in Candice's gym. -lucariomaster2
  5. While in the E4, the highest level member of the party may not battle. If another party member becomes higher leveled, they take that party member's place as the Pokemon unable to take part in battle. If the highest level Pokemon is the last remaining Pokemon, it must use a Status Move until it faints. -lucariomaster2
  6. While inside Team Galactic's buildings or fighting against a Commander/Boss, only Normal Type Pokemon may fight. Note that Valley Windworks does not count as a Team Galactic building. -sunny004

Last edited:
Seraphinu

Why hello there :P

I'll be giving you a couple Rule challenges.
1. You can't use any moves above 90 base power in battle. Since this is Generation IV, this means mainstays like Thunderbolt, Flamethrower and Surf are off limits! Moves with variable BP are exempt from this rule (so you get to use Return, Low Kick and Grass Knot! yay!)
2. The Pokemon you use to land the finishing blow against a Gym Leader must be boxed ASAP afterwards, never to be used in battle again. Not technically perma-death!

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi Seraphinu :)

Rule Challenge: You can only use two Pokemon ranked A tier or above in the In-Game Tier List. This only refers to having two in your party at any one time.

Have fun! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)