Programming Single and Mass Damage Calculator For Up to Gen VI

I've attempted to create a mass damage calculator using Showdown's/Honko's damage calculator and you can check it out here: http://gamut-was-taken.github.io/gen6-damage-calc/. Just hit either the One vs All or All vs One button on the top right to choose your mode of function (I hope it's straightforward).

Once you've hit either of the two buttons:
  1. choose from one of the six generations up top on the page
  2. choose any single format or any number of tiers (you can select NU, RU, UU, OU, and Uber all at once)
  3. adjust your Pokemon's and Field's settings (the Pokemon and Field panels COLLAPSE!)
  4. press Honkalculate and hope for the best
If the Honkalculation is successful, you'll get some (hopefully coherent) output. You can hide columns you don't want to see using the `Show / hide columns` button; you can filter the output by searching in the searchfield; and you can arrange the data in ascending or descending column order by clicking on any column.

Do note: the mass damage calculator is far from perfect. It doesn't yet work for Gens I and II, NU in Gen IV, or Doubles in Gen V and I'm working on that. I'm also not very good with aesthetics, so I'm afraid people will find the design ugly.

Feedback is welcome and needed.

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nice nice.

Sorting by damage dealt doesn't work as intended - it goes 100%-20%-200%-30% etc.

I recommend hiding multiples of the same set within one collapsible if possible, and if you click the name of the mon or something, all sets appear. I also recommend a function (if possible) to only use OU-tiered Pokémon rather than sets intended for OU - this is at least possible for old gens since those tier lists are static.

Again, nice job.

I think the Damage and KO change and stuff should be placed right next to the Pokemon's name, and the rest of the info afterwards, because otherwise for smaller screens like mine (1366x768) we have to scroll back and forth to see what it hits and how hard it hit, which just makes it way too tedious.
What I might do in addition to that is just make the Type, Ability, and Item columns hidden by default so that anyone that wants to see them or use them to filter results can enable them through the Show / hide columns button. Thanks for the input!

Sorting by damage dealt doesn't work as intended - it goes 100%-20%-200%-30% etc.
Someone smart added a fix for that just yesterday. I haven't gotten around to playing with the calculator too much so I'll test it out.

I recommend hiding multiples of the same set within one collapsible if possible, and if you click the name of the mon or something, all sets appear. I also recommend a function (if possible) to only use OU-tiered Pokémon rather than sets intended for OU - this is at least possible for old gens since those tier lists are static.
I'll be working on getting your first recommendation implemented. Sounds cool, haha!

As for the second recommendation... Honko's coverage calculators can do what you recommend: it's what the checkbox that's labelled "Strict" does. I'll work on implementing Strict mode for the calculator, but it's a bit of a headache and here's why (my numbers may be wrong):
  • In gen 1, there are Pokemon like Aerodactyl that are tagged as Underused and only have movesets that are tagged as Overused. This is the case for 24 Pokemon in total. One Pokemon is Underused and has no movesets. That's Haunter.
  • In gen 2, a total of 85 Pokemon (86 if you count Ditto) are Underused and have no Underused movesets. Only Ariados, Azumarill, and Bellossom have sets tagged as Underused.
In Strict mode, you'd never see any of those 24 Pokemon in gen 1 and any of those 85 Pokemon in gen 2. That doesn't mean the calculator won't work, but excluding so many Pokemon doesn't feel correct. That's also why I haven't implemented mass calculation for gens 1 and 2. I'm open to more recommendations, haha.

It's not all too visible, but I made some modifications.

- ORAS movesets have been added for those Pokemon that received one (except for Mega Rayquaza).
- ORAS weather conditions, moves, and abilities have been added.
- All analyses in the calculator are up to date as of this post's date.
- This:
What I might do in addition to that is just make the Type, Ability, and Item columns hidden by default so that anyone that wants to see them or use them to filter results can enable them through the Show / hide columns button./quote]
- And the stuff I'm forgetting.

Please tell me your impressions. Also, thanks very much to everyone who's used the calculator and who's left feedback.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'm using Firefox and I'm not seeing the "Honkalculate" button, nor is it letting me change the Pokemon in the Pokemon field in One vs All or All vs One

Screenshots:

I'm using Firefox and I'm not seeing the "Honkalculate" button, nor is it letting me change the Pokemon in the Pokemon field in One vs All or All vs One

Screenshots:

Do you know if the One vs One calculator was working properly or did you have a similar problem?

Before I put it up I kept forgetting to add Rayquaza. Now that it's up I forgot about everyone except Rayquaza.

Thank you.

If it's not fixed now, then I don't know what to do with myself.

Last edited:

Isa

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Moves such as DynamicPunch, Hi Jump Kick and others that have had their name changed (compare High Jump Kick and Dynamic Punch to Hi Jump Kick and DynamicPunch) are removed from their standard sets in generations 1-5.

Also, Medicham is missing his ability in ADV/DPP.

Fixed the first one; I just have to push the fix.

And I realize that it's not just Medicham that's missing abilities. Working on that.

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
I'd just like to suggest having the pop-down option for a Pokemon's mega be there even if it's not a mega set. Just because it can be a bit annoying having to flick through some of the sets until you get to one that is for the mega, I'd much rather just click the first set I see :b . Granted, I don't know how much more annoyinger it would be to put that in, but yeah. Just a suggest.

I think it should be easy to take out, haha. I don't remember, but I think I wanted to stay true to the sets and not allow Charizard nor Mewtwo to Mega Evolve into the opposite Mega.

If the Pokemon can change forme, then the Blank Set allows you to change into any of that Pokemon's formes; even Darmanitan-Z if you're weird like that. But the Blank Set is... blank, yeah, so that's kind of annoying. I'll fix it if changing to the Blank Set is too annoying.

This is fantastic, really appreciate your hard work! For future versions would it be possible to get this to fit on one page? On tablets (my ipad) because the calculator doesn't fit regardless of orientation, the screen keeps glitching out when i try to change a move on the defensive pokemon in one vs one. The layout in the honko calc seems to work fine. This is assuming that the problem is the layout haha. Thanks and great job!

Isa

Could you add the Smogon analyses for not-as-commonly-used Pokémon in old generations?

Isa

Yeah I cannot find any Megas either. Searches for "Mega" only return Meganium and searching for Altaria doesn't give me Mega Altaria either.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I cannot find any Megas either. Searches for "Mega" only return Meganium and searching for Altaria doesn't give me Mega Altaria either.
There's a dropdown menu below the pokemon's typing that you can change it from normal forme to mega.
For example, if you click on one of the Altaria sets you just change it from Altaria to mega altaria using that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)