5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

No, I found that seed in a video, and I was going to RNG my TID/SID for it. I read through the guide and I still don't really understand how I can find a seed for a specific frame and PID etc. before I start the game, doesn't the seed depend on your TID/SID combo, which you don't know beforehand?

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
No, I found that seed in a video, and I was going to RNG my TID/SID for it. I read through the guide and I still don't really understand how I can find a seed for a specific frame and PID etc. before I start the game, doesn't the seed depend on your TID/SID combo, which you don't know beforehand?
The seed you hit depends on your DS parameters (as well as the time and date [and a bit of randomness for fun] at which you start the game); the finding of which are (again) discussed in the guide (although granted on a different page).

Honestly I'd suggest reading through the whole thing then if you haven't RNG abused before, as any answers I can give would just be regurgitating (and probably misremembering) parts of it.

Buckert

Obsessive Collecting Disorder
1. Don't RNG abuse for a TID/SID combo.
2. Check the guide which .com referred you to twice.
3. Save in front of a stationary Pokémon in order to find your own parameters.
4. If you have YOUR parameters matching YOUR game AND DS system, you can put that into RNG Reporter and search for your own seeds.

Okay, now I think I understand a little better. (I reread everything except sections 5 and 6, eggs and wondercard pokemon respectively) Would you mind verifying that what I'm saying is correct?
So basically, what you have to do is to calibrate your game and search for a seed to RNG your roamer. Then, if you are having trouble finding a Shiny seed, look for one with the correct nature and IV's. Plug the seed and frame into Pandora's Box, then RNG from the results for a TID/SID combo, which will allow you to hit that same seed and PID frame, but the pokemon will be shiny.

Now when you gave me the PID: 0de21e33 how did you find it? Will it work for any cartridge/console set?

.com

Grumpy old man
Okay, now I think I understand a little better. (I reread everything except sections 5 and 6, eggs and wondercard pokemon respectively) Would you mind verifying that what I'm saying is correct?
So basically, what you have to do is to calibrate your game and search for a seed to RNG your roamer. Then, if you are having trouble finding a Shiny seed, look for one with the correct nature and IV's. Plug the seed and frame into Pandora's Box, then RNG from the results for a TID/SID combo, which will allow you to hit that same seed and PID frame, but the pokemon will be shiny.

Now when you gave me the PID: 0de21e33 how did you find it? Will it work for any cartridge/console set?
  • Yes, you need to calibrate and search for a seed.
  • Yes, if you can't find one with a reasonable frame, this is when you would RNG for TID/SID (although this is not recommended as a first project).
  • The PID I gave you was for the particular seed and frame you posted before. I incorrectly assumed you'd searched for this (having done the aforementioned steps). For simplicity's sake, I will say that "no, it will not work for any cartridge/console set"; you'll need to search for one once you've calibrated.

Any tips for RNGing Fennel's Eevee in White 2? I set the Encounter Type to Starter / Fossil / Gift, but I'm not sure if I'm missing anything else.

Tatertot

always the poet, never the poem
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying to find out my SID in my Black 2 so I can start RNGing shinies, what would be the best way to do it? All the places I've looked so far say to use Pokecheck, which obviously isn't an option anymore.

I'm trying to find out my SID in my Black 2 so I can start RNGing shinies, what would be the best way to do it? All the places I've looked so far say to use Pokecheck, which obviously isn't an option anymore.
Transfer a pokemon to gen 6 then use PKHex to check the SID.

Hello:

I am in the process of creating my 5th gen profile in RNG reporter. While calibrating with no button presses during the loading screen, I consistently hit Timer0 = C7C, while very occasionally hitting C7D. However, when I hold buttons down in the DS Lite's main screen and continue to hold them until the game freak star crashes, I consistently hit C7D while occasionally hitting C7C. Is this sort of trend normal? Also, can I hold the button presses before I load the game, or do I need to immediately hit them after I hit A on the DS screen? Since I am always hitting either C7C or C7D, should I set my min/max Timer0 values in my profile as C7C and C7D respectively? Or should I only have one value for the min and max?

Thanks.

this is pokemon black 1 btw

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
It's pretty normal.

As long as you're holding the buttons when the game seeds (which is some point between booting, and the shooting star screen, then it doesn't matter when you started holding them. As long as you pressing the buttons doesn't stop the game from loading (for example, you can't hold A before you need to start the game) then you're fine.

Just have one value. If C7D is the most common value when you're pressing keys, then use that one, since there's only 1 combination (the empty combination) of buttons which most commonly give C7C; but there's ~700 (IIRC) combinations of buttons (all the rest) which would more commonly give C7D.

It's pretty normal.

As long as you're holding the buttons when the game seeds (which is some point between booting, and the shooting star screen, then it doesn't matter when you started holding them. As long as you pressing the buttons doesn't stop the game from loading (for example, you can't hold A before you need to start the game) then you're fine.

Just have one value. If C7D is the most common value when you're pressing keys, then use that one, since there's only 1 combination (the empty combination) of buttons which most commonly give C7C; but there's ~700 (IIRC) combinations of buttons (all the rest) which would more commonly give C7D.
Thanks.

I got everything set up and ready to go, found the seed etc.. but the pokemon I want to catch in giant chasm is excadrill - but the encounter slots I'm looking at (eggmove.com doesnt work now) says its a dust cloud poke only. Does this mean it's impossible or can I still catch it?

.com

Grumpy old man
Thanks.

I got everything set up and ready to go, found the seed etc.. but the pokemon I want to catch in giant chasm is excadrill - but the encounter slots I'm looking at (eggmove.com doesnt work now) says its a dust cloud poke only. Does this mean it's impossible or can I still catch it?
You can RNG Pokémon in Dust clouds, they're just a little trickier.
Basically, once you hit your seed (confirm by listening to Chatot pitches), you have to cycle around and wait for a Swirling Dust patch to appear, and then approach it and do the required advancements from there.

This has complications though:
a) While you're cycling around waiting for the swirling dust to appear, you are (most likely) stepping on tiles where Pokémon can appear. This means that you advance your PID frame while doing so.

b) You may (and probably will) roll over the step switch too, which means you'll advance the IV frame by however many Pokémon are in your party.

Solutions:
a) Find a memorable pattern of Chatot calls, somewhere around frame 700–900. Something like "Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi" which you'll recognise when it comes up.
Once you've listened to 10 to confirm your seed, cycle around till you see the swirling spot, and save in front of it (facing it). Then just keep advancing your frame, listening to Chatot calls and waiting for the pattern to occur. When it does, you know which frame you're on.

b) When you're searching for an IV frame, search on frame X+1, where X is the number of Pokémon you will have in your party. That way, you can make sure to only taken 128 steps when hunting for a swirling patch, to be sure you've only advanced the step switch once.

You can RNG Pokémon in Dust clouds, they're just a little trickier.
Basically, once you hit your seed (confirm by listening to Chatot pitches), you have to cycle around and wait for a Swirling Dust patch to appear, and then approach it and do the required advancements from there.

This has complications though:
a) While you're cycling around waiting for the swirling dust to appear, you are (most likely) stepping on tiles where Pokémon can appear. This means that you advance your PID frame while doing so.

b) You may (and probably will) roll over the step switch too, which means you'll advance the IV frame by however many Pokémon are in your party.

Solutions:
a) Find a memorable pattern of Chatot calls, somewhere around frame 700–900. Something like "Hi Hi Hi Hi Hi" which you'll recognise when it comes up.
Once you've listened to 10 to confirm your seed, cycle around till you see the swirling spot, and save in front of it (facing it). Then just keep advancing your frame, listening to Chatot calls and waiting for the pattern to occur. When it does, you know which frame you're on.

b) When you're searching for an IV frame, search on frame X+1, where X is the number of Pokémon you will have in your party. That way, you can make sure to only taken 128 steps when hunting for a swirling patch, to be sure you've only advanced the step switch once.

Let me make sure I understand this: hitting the correct seed = hitting the right Timer0 at the right date and time, correct? Once I hit the seed, I have to advance the frame with game saves, becasue I don't have Chatot.

I've read that you need to take 20 steps to refresh the dust cloud. If I walk until I see one, then walk 19 steps and save, the next step should generate a new bubble correct? Can't I just hit the seed, take a step, do my saves in front of the sand cloud and then enter it?

I'm attempting to RNG my roamer in pokemon black. However I cant seem to hit the seed (Timer0) despite effortlessly hitting it when I breed. I usually use no key presses when I breed and get C7C, but the roamer spreads all require key presses and my corresponding C7D Timer0. Is the seed time listed in RNG reporter for roamers calibrated for the 1 second delay when using the DS Lite/Phat, or is that the actual time I should press A? Becasue so far I've been pressing a second before the time listed. Are there any subtleties to the key presses, and does the order that they are listed in RNG reporter mean anything?

Edit: I will be eternally grateful to the man who finds me a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Roamer spread with C7C and no key presses lol!

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
I'm attempting to RNG my roamer in pokemon black. However I cant seem to hit the seed (Timer0) despite effortlessly hitting it when I breed. I usually use no key presses when I breed and get C7C, but the roamer spreads all require key presses and my corresponding C7D Timer0. Is the seed time listed in RNG reporter for roamers calibrated for the 1 second delay when using the DS Lite/Phat, or is that the actual time I should press A? Becasue so far I've been pressing a second before the time listed. Are there any subtleties to the key presses, and does the order that they are listed in RNG reporter mean anything?

Edit: I will be eternally grateful to the man who finds me a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Roamer spread with C7C and no key presses lol!
You have to deal with the calibrated seconds yourself. The time stated in the Reporter is the time the game should seed at, so you'll want to press x seconds before that, x = calibrated seconds.

As far as no key presses go, this isn't too surprising. For every 1 seed you can hit with no key presses, there are ~900 seeds if you're pressing keys (all the different combinations of keys).

Did you consider searching for seeds with keypresses and c7d timer0?

Last edited:
You have to deal with the calibrated seconds yourself. The time stated in the Reporter is the time the game should seed at, so you'll want to press x seconds before that, x = calibrated seconds.

As far as no key presses go, this isn't too surprising. For every 1 seed you can hit with no key presses, there are ~900 seeds if you're pressing keys (all the different combinations of keys).

Did you consider searching for seeds with keypresses and c7d timer0?
Ah!! Good news man, I just got Naive 31/31/31/31/31/31 Tornadus! I was able to hit C7D with key presses very sporadically, but once I changed to a C7C with 3 key presses my T0 was so much more consistent. I gave up trying to pinpoint the starting adjusted frame after the weather because it was so erratic, so I was just doing one extra chatot chatter each time until I hit naive.

Thank you for all your help .com! When I started I didn't think I could do this but I stuck with it and the result speaks for itself.

Are the characteristics displayed for stationary pokemon in the Gen V PIDRNG method correct? I got all the correct chatot calls and got the poke I wanted (6 IV Lando) but the characteristic displayed on the RNG main window does not match what the game produced. Not a big deal, but are they accurate?

Edit: Just saw this with kyreum. The characteristic (often dozes off, capable of taking hits, etc) that RNG reporter predicts for a certain frame does not always match what the game produces. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but it might have something to do with using/not using syncs

Last edited:

.com

Grumpy old man
Are the characteristics displayed for stationary pokemon in the Gen V PIDRNG method correct? I got all the correct chatot calls and got the poke I wanted (6 IV Lando) but the characteristic displayed on the RNG main window does not match what the game produced. Not a big deal, but are they accurate?

Edit: Just saw this with kyreum. The characteristic (often dozes off, capable of taking hits, etc) that RNG reporter predicts for a certain frame does not always match what the game produces. Not sure if this is intentional or not, but it might have something to do with using/not using syncs
This is occasionally an issue. For the most part they're correct, but as long as you're getting the results you expect (excluding characteristic), you can safely just ignore it.
The Characteristic is derived from PID and IVs, so things that might change the PID (incorrectly entered TID/SID, Shiny charm, etc.) could affect this. No idea if that's why this issue exists, but it's been brought up before in this thread, and the general consensus was to just live with it :( (sorry).

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
I'm trying to RNG Thundurus in my copy of White, and by this point I'm wondering, are there any frames that are literally... unreachable?
My seed is 8F9D7E21E286103 (latest version of reporter of course, using a DS Lite), if properly deduced my shifted starting frame should be around 465, and there's a Timid frame at 487, so around 20 advances (with some trial and error) should do the trick, right? However, with 20 advances I consistently hit Hasty-Somewhat vain (frame 486), with 21 advances I consistently hit Modest-Alert to sounds (frame 485), and with 22 advances I consistently hit Naive-Alert to sounds (frame 489), so I'm pretty much at my wit's end. I've been talking to somebody else who RNGed Thundurus prior, and he said he experienced something similar - he kept on missing his desired frame by one or two, until he switched to a different frame, which he hit immediately, multiple times in a row. His theory was that this was due to the rain screwing up the PIDRNG, which it naturally does, but more specifically screwing it up in such a way that it leaves certain frames unreachable. This does sound like it makes sense, but I'd rather confirm it with people who know more about it, before switching to a different seed altogether and having to go through the trouble of figuring out an initial frame again :\

.com

Grumpy old man
If you're going for non-shiny then you won't need to find a new seed/shifted-starting-frame. Your desired nature will show up again pretty soon on the list, so just advance a few additional times and try for that if that's the case.

I've experienced similar (certain frames proving difficult to attain), but I've never actually experienced one being unreachable. Since you're doing this in the rain, you could always try spamming through the text boxes a little slower/faster. This would give the game a different time interval for the rain to advance the LCRNG and (most likely) change which frame you consistently hit after a certain number of initial advances.

It's possible that there are frames which are unreachable, but it's never come up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 18)