Pokémon Tyrantrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Through the coding we know Tyrunt has Sturdy as it's HA and Tyrantrum has Rock Head as it's HA. Game Freak have confirmed that we're getting HA Tyrunt. Do the tiniest bit of research next time.
You just corrected yourself. Tyrunt gets sturdy as it's HA which means rock head is not programmed to be tyrunt's HA... if it's not programmed to be a hidden ability, then chances are, it's not going to evolve with a hidden ability meaning tyrantrum may not be receiving anything new, just it's preevolution. I going by how the game's mechanics are coded for this to work, yeah tyrantrum's HA is rock head, no shit, but when a pokemon has a hidden ability.. it evolves with it's hidden ability (if the evolution has one) which in this case.. tyrunt doesn't have IT'S hidden ability (sturdy) so there is a possibility it's not going to evolve with one.

You just corrected yourself. Tyrunt gets sturdy as it's HA which means rock head is not programmed to be tyrunt's HA... if it's not programmed to be a hidden ability, then chances are, it's not going to evolve with a hidden ability meaning tyrantrum may not be receiving anything new just it's preevolution.
Pokemon still retain their HAs when they evolve, so if Tyrunt gets its hidden ability, when it evolves into Tyrantrum, Tyrantrum gets its HA (Sturdy--> Rock Head). Gilgar has a different HA than Gliscor (Immunity-->Poison Heal), so I don't see your point.

Pokemon still retain their HAs when they evolve, so if Tyrunt gets its hidden ability, when it evolves into Tyrantrum, Tyrantrum gets its HA (Sturdy--> Rock Head). Gilgar has a different HA than Gliscor (Immunity-->Poison Heal), so I don't see your point.
Exactly, pokemon retain their HAs when they evolve... if tyrunt's is sturdy, then it will evolve retaining that and recieve rock head correct? Yes. However if a tyrunt isn't sturdy.. then it will not evolve with rock head. In this case, tyrunt ISN'T sturdy, so technically he DOES NOT have his hidden ability, so there's the possibility that tyrantrum will still not get his if the ability does not retain lacking sturdy on it's preevolution.

I don't think you get what RoyalDispenser is saying. Tyrunt's hidden ability is Sturdy, but it's not getting Sturdy. It's getting Rock Head. Rock Head has never been a natural or hidden ability for Tyrunt. This is something new that has never been coded into the game before, so there's no telling if the resulting Tyrantrum will have Strong Jaw, Rock Head, or something completely different. If Tyrunt were getting Sturdy, then yes, you could expect Tyrantrum to have Rock Head since they'd both be their respective hidden abilities, but that's not the case here.

EDIT: Greninja'd, which is weird because we just banned it.

I'd say being able to outrun the Base 110 tier is important since that has essentially become the new "standard" for offense with Metagross, Gallade, Diancie, and the still present Latis.
In which case I'd just recommend LO over Lum if you don't plan to get to +2. Lum is better for stall and balance, LO is better for offense. Depending on the intended role should determine the spread and item.

I'm pretty sure it's just a mistake at worst; they're more or less advertising the fact that Tyrantrum has Rock Head and just forgot that Tyrunt has a different Hidden Ability. This is very understandable for just being up for a day and things like this have happened before. The official site even plain out says "A Tyrunt with it's Hidden Ability!" so I don't see the issue here.

Thing is to completely rewrite the coding just for an inconsequential ability change makes absolutely no sense. They'd have to update every single XY cart around the world no matter which one gets Tyrunt, making you incompatible for online because oh no, Tyrunt's HA is Sturdy and not Rock Head.
It's just a mistake, calm down about it.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Thing is to completely rewrite the coding just for an inconsequential ability change makes absolutely no sense. They'd have to update every single XY cart around the world no matter which one gets Tyrunt, making you incompatible for online because oh no, Tyrunt's HA is Sturdy and not Rock Head.
It's just a mistake, calm down about it.
Nah. You'd simply get a HA flag Tyrunt with Rock Head just like Scolipede can have Quick Feet or Speed Boost depending on the game it's from.

Well, would it be possible for someone to confirm this by just sending a Powersaved HA Tyrantrum or something? I mean, I doubt they'd see fit to change its ability in particular, compared to something like Chandelure which was potentially broken, but don't we have the tools to completely debunk this most-likely-incorrect-anyway goof?

Well, would it be possible for someone to confirm this by just sending a Powersaved HA Tyrantrum or something? I mean, I doubt they'd see fit to change its ability in particular, compared to something like Chandelure which was potentially broken, but don't we have the tools to completely debunk this most-likely-incorrect-anyway goof?
I've powersaved one awhile back and it's indeed sturdy. The ability changes only happened in the genshift between gen 5 and 6.

But it's possible they could've done another retard rumor like ice punch blaziken.

inb4 it's ability is still strong jaw

but meanwhile, we do not have any confirmation so discussing it now is theorymoning at best.

EDIT: Retaliate Greninja'd on the ice punch blaziken rumor.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
I think a Lum Berry is a very tempting item to consider. It let's it set up in the face of Talonflame, Sableye, Rotom-W and Heatran without worry of a burn, and getting to +2 is obviously better than +1 with a Life Orb. With that considered an Admant nature becomes affordable and you can put more EVs into HP.

Tyrantrum@Lum Berry
Rock Head
Adamant 112 HP / 252 At / 144 Spd
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

At +2 you outspeed M-Aerodactyl, so that's about as high as you need to be. After Stone/Ground coverage, no other coverage moves really help bypass any certain walls. Outrage is necessary to get past Hippowdon and Chesnaught at +2 for example. Otherwise, Head Smash is almost universally your best move. Lum Berry also benefits you by curing Outrage confusion if you still have it.

Alternatively, if you really want to outrun base 110 tier at +1 than you need a spread of 32 HP / 252 At / 224 Spd with an Adamant nature.
I absolutely love the way this set looks on paper. Though I agree with pika pal that outspeeding base 110s at +1 is extremely important in the current metagame.
Lum Berry seems to fit Tyrantrum perfectly. It lets Tyrantrum eat up a Wil-O-Wisp and 2HKO Mega Sableye while doubling as a way to use Outrage more effectively.
So should we classify Tyrantrum as a Sweeper or a Wallbreaker?

"Following the reveal last week, there was some confusion due to the information provided by the Pokémon Global Link website which listed the Tyrunt to have the Rock Head ability. This was contrary to the information extracted from the games which stated that the ability distributed was Sturdy. However, they have now posted a retraction and correction on the Global Link confirming the full details of the Tyrunt. The Tyrunt is Level 10 with its Hidden Ability of Sturdy with the moves Tail Whip, Tackle, Roar and Stomp."
~Serebii

Y'all can stop worrying now :U

I think a Lum Berry is a very tempting item to consider. It let's it set up in the face of Talonflame, Sableye, Rotom-W and Heatran without worry of a burn, and getting to +2 is obviously better than +1 with a Life Orb. With that considered an Admant nature becomes affordable and you can put more EVs into HP.

Tyrantrum@Lum Berry
Rock Head
- Dragon Dance
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Outrage

At +2 you outspeed M-Aerodactyl, so that's about as high as you need to be. After Stone/Ground coverage, no other coverage moves really help bypass any certain walls. Outrage is necessary to get past Hippowdon and Chesnaught at +2 for example. Otherwise, Head Smash is almost universally your best move. Lum Berry also benefits you by curing Outrage confusion if you still have it.

Alternatively, if you really want to outrun base 110 tier at +1 than you need a spread of 32 HP / 252 At / 224 Spd with an Adamant nature.
Was this spread benchmarked for specific threats? I really like the idea of a lum berry set but wasn't sure about evs. It's either that or choice band

I guess I should have clarified. I was talking about HP evs. If they were done with surviving certain moves better like Flash Canon from Heatran or Bullet Punch from Scizor. But i guess that doesn't really matter when you can 2hko the whole tier. This thing is gonna be a nightmare for people who don't carry a check

I guess I should have clarified. I was talking about HP evs. If they were done with surviving certain moves better like Flash Canon from Heatran or Bullet Punch from Scizor. But i guess that doesn't really matter when you can 2hko the whole tier. This thing is gonna be a nightmare for people who don't carry a check
The HP in general allows it to survive other attacks, like say, scizor's bullet punch without getting OHKO'd and allows it to maybe sponge a weaker hit in order to set up.

I was just thinking about this mon a few weeks ago before the HA was confirmed and was saying that it was on the cusp of greatness.
OK it's a little slow and it really would have liked better SpD to take advantage of its resistances.
But Rock Headed HeadSmash turns it into a potentially dangerous sweeper and may allow it to get extra mileage out of its Dragon STAB as a side effect.

A 150 power STAB move with no drawbacks (save slightly shaky accuracy) is amazing. SmashQuake is really all it needs.
But since HeadSmash will cover most fairies (and will hit some Steels pretty hard too...mainly the ones that resist EQ due being to part Bug or Flying),
Tyrantrum may be able to eliminate its own Dragon resists and finish up with the more accurate Outrage (thanks ORAS) when that's safer.

The set that writes itself is obviously Dragon Dance | Head Smash | Earthquake | Outrage. Superpower is an option that might hit select foes harder.
I feel like Lum Berry mighr be the best item despite the temptation to maximize power with an offensive item.
Tyrantrum's x4 Fire resist means it really wants to come in on Fire attacks but risks being ruined by random secondary burns not to mention Will-o-Wisp.

Also, I'm just speculating widely now but...having such a powerful attack that nothing is immune to may allow TyRex to try other weirder sets.
It could pass on one of its standard moves (say Outrage) and run Stealth Rock instead or run Rock Polish AND Dragon Dance in the style of a Double Dance set (Polish Dance lol...where's Chopin?).
It could surprise a check that expected to be able to outpace after +1 (Jolly outruns up to scarf 110s at +2, I think), leaving the option to DD later for more power while still retaining good SmashQuake coverge.

Last edited:
HP was the dump stat. Max Attack first, certain speed benchmark, then dump the rest in HP.
I always thought this was terrible logic. You're using a Dragon Dance sweeper but calcing its speed at +2? Against what idiot are you going to reach +2 against? The HP EVs you have give it 28 more HP. Do you really think 28 HP is worth failing to outspeed the base 110s at +1?

I don't see why people try to be cute with EV spreads. Sometimes 252 / 252 / 4 is fine.

I always thought this was terrible logic. You're using a Dragon Dance sweeper but calcing its speed at +2? Against what idiot are you going to reach +2 against? The HP EVs you have give it 28 more HP. Do you really think 28 HP is worth failing to outspeed the base 110s at +1?

I don't see why people try to be cute with EV spreads. Sometimes 252 / 252 / 4 is fine.
The post says you can just go 224 spe adamant to outpace 110s ya know at the tail end of it so ev dumping is a little fine i think

is it acceptable the ideia that tyrantrum can setup 2x ? i will try:

Tyrantrum@Lum Berry
Rock Head
- Hone claws
- Rock Polish
- Head smash
- Outrage / Earthquake

yes, im coward, i wont give the chance to lose because of some random miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)