Serperior [QC 2/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd give a mixed Coil set a mention at the bottom of OO. The accuracy boost to Leaf Storm is nice and Serp has access to Outrage (move tutor), Aqua Tail (which also benefits from accuracy boost, hits Heatran) and Knock Off to take advantage of the attack boost, but it suffers the same problems as Mixed Hone Claws Ludicolo (reliant on a boost to have offensive presence on the physical side).

Also small knitpick, if a Pokemon has the same Def/SpD stats its best to put the 4 EVs into SpD as opposed to def to give offensive P2 (and PZ I guess except not really cause its bad) to get an attack boost instead of an SpA boost.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd give a mixed Coil set a mention at the bottom of OO. The accuracy boost to Leaf Storm is nice and Serp has access to Outrage (move tutor), Aqua Tail (which also benefits from accuracy boost, hits Heatran) and Knock Off to take advantage of the attack boost, but it suffers the same problems as Mixed Hone Claws Ludicolo (reliant on a boost to have offensive presence on the physical side).

Also small knitpick, if a Pokemon has the same Def/SpD stats its best to put the 4 EVs into SpD as opposed to def to give offensive P2 (and PZ I guess except not really cause its bad) to get an attack boost instead of an SpA boost.
Coil will lower all its stats because of Contrary.

But sure I'll change to SDef.

Could Dugtrio be mentioned as a partner for the first set? You pack HP Fire to deal with Ferrothorn anyways, so even though Magnezone is a better overall pokemon, some teams might prefer Dugtrio for its ability to consistently trap + KO Heatran (revenge kill, slow U-Turn from Scizor, etc). :)

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Could Dugtrio be mentioned as a partner for the first set? You pack HP Fire to deal with Ferrothorn anyways, so even though Magnezone is a better overall pokemon, some teams might prefer Dugtrio for its ability to consistently trap + KO Heatran (revenge kill, slow U-Turn from Scizor, etc). :)
Yes I will add Dugtrio to the list of teammates. Thanks for pointing that out.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hp Grounds should get a mention under set details for its ability to easily get past Heatran. AV should be removed, Serperior isn't a pivot. Dual Screens is better suited to a support teammates such as Klefki or Azelf. Elaborate a bit more on checks and counters in regards to the hows such as Ferrothorn beats HP Ground variants and Heatran beats HP Fire variants. Specify which flying types cause not all of them are sure fire checks and counters, such as Zapdos. There's a lot more team options such as Landorus-T, Gengar, Azumarill, general SD and DDance sweepers such as Char-X and SD Gliscor so beef up team options. The movepool might be limited but it doesn't change the fact that it's still effective with those limited options so I don't see how this is a flaw that should be displayed in the overview section. Put Glare under OO and implement any QC's suggestions and changes such as Ben Gay's 1/3. Implement all of this along with some thorough detail and you can consider it QC 2/3 on my end.

If we're going to mention HP Ground for just using against Heatran, might as well include HP Rock as well, maybe in OO.

It hits Talonflame or Charizard-Y on the switch for massive damage even before a boost, as they would love to switch in for that 4x resist to Leaf Storm and to normally wall it.

252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 322-385 (108.4 - 129.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 218-260 (60.7 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 16 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 213-255 (70.7 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Serperior Hidden Power Rock vs. 240 HP / 136+ SpD Mega Charizard Y: 177-208 (49.5 - 58.2%) -- 96.5% chance to 2HKO

Tho I would recommend still Leaf Storming on a predicted Charizard Y switch in and HP Rock the next turn, as you outspeed it anyways.

Last edited:

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If you were to mention a Coil set, it would be Overgrow ... which totally negates the novelty of Serperior (Leaf Storm giving a boost instead of a drop). So what I'm trying to say is, no Coil set whatsoever, not even OO.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Hp Grounds should get a mention under set details for its ability to easily get past Heatran. AV should be removed, Serperior isn't a pivot. Dual Screens is better suited to a support teammates such as Klefki or Azelf. Elaborate a bit more on checks and counters in regards to the hows such as Ferrothorn beats HP Ground variants and Heatran beats HP Fire variants. Specify which flying types cause not all of them are sure fire checks and counters, such as Zapdos. There's a lot more team options such as Landorus-T, Gengar, Azumarill, general SD and DDance sweepers such as Char-X and SD Gliscor so beef up team options. The movepool might be limited but it doesn't change the fact that it's still effective with those limited options so I don't see how this is a flaw that should be displayed in the overview section. Put Glare under OO and implement any QC's suggestions and changes such as Ben Gay's 1/3. Implement all of this along with some thorough detail and you can consider it QC 2/3 on my end.
Done, thanks!

LilOu

PO poopyhead
Crobat works as really good switchin, being faster, taking any hit, having access to roost, and being able to OHKO after LO damage even uninvested.

0 Atk Crobat Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 248-294 (85.2 - 101%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Serperior
Ability:Contrary
Item:Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature:Timid
252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
"Contrary"
-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain/Hidden Power Fire
-Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power Fire
-Substitute/Glare/Knock Off

Ability:Overgrow
Item:Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature:Adamant
252 Atk/4 SpD/252 Spe
"Physical Attacker"
-Sword Dance/Coil
-Leaf Blade
-Dragon Tail/Return/Aqua Tail
Note: Combined all the opinions of people

Last edited:

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Serperior
Abitily:Contrary
Nature:Timid
252 SpA/4 SpD/252 Spe
"Contrary"
-Leaf Storm
-Giga Drain/Hidden Power Fire
-Dragon Pulse/Hidden Power Fire
Note: Combined all the opinions of people
Isn't that the exact same set Halcyon. has? Also its been mentioned that Glare is bad.

DarkNostalgia

Fading in, fading out, on the edge of paradise
is a Contributor Alumnus
read ben gay's post ._.

ben gay said:
unfortunately, serperior really does need the extra power granted by life orb otherwise it won't be able to clean efficiently :( . and why is glare slashed as filler lol. seems pretty useless to me, i'd replace it with taunt so that it can stallbreak better. mention knock off getting rid of chansey's eviolite too and get rid of the bit with hp ground zone, there are better ways to lure tran like eq lati and it isn't in our best interest to pair gimmicks with it :x . you have 29 atk ivs instead of hp so fix that too. on another note, i would suggest you make a secondary set for a subseed variant of serperior. something like substitute/leaf storm/leech seed/hp fire looks like it would have merit. avoids status, revenge killing, sucker punches, can stall mons out like chansey, tran, and unaware clef via seed, good recovery and lets it safely boost up by spamming leaf storm. go a bit more in-depth on team options and narrow down checks and counters so that it fits together and is nice and compact. once you do all these 1/3 n_n
LO is needed, glare is pretty bad regardless.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Glare is alright. I'll be giving it a mention in either the OO section or the moves section. However, Swords Dance/Coil is really bad and I will absolutely not add that under any circumstances. Unless Game Freak descides to magically give Serperior Superpower, no one should ever use a physical set (actually even then its movepool is terribad for physical attacking lol).

Reactions: AM
Glare is alright. I'll be giving it a mention in either the OO section or the moves section. However, Swords Dance/Coil is really bad and I will absolutely not add that under any circumstances. Unless Game Freak descides to magically give Serperior Superpower, no one should ever use a physical set (actually even then its movepool is terribad for physical attacking lol).
Yea I guess ur right but the physical set can be for Servine in the NU tier

Could you mention that Mega Metagross and Tyranitar are good teammates? Mega Metagross destroys many things that give Serperior trouble, like Mega Altaria, and Serperior kills many Metagross checks/counters, like Mega Slowbro. Tyranitar handles Birdspam and can trap Gengar while serperior kills hippowdon

Could you mention that Mega Metagross and Tyranitar are good teammates? Mega Metagross destroys many things that give Serperior trouble, like Mega Altaria, and Serperior kills many Metagross checks/counters, like Mega Slowbro. Tyranitar handles Birdspam and can trap Gengar while serperior kills hippowdon
They are not good teammates at all though, i mean thats pretty situationnal because metagross can also have check like victini/heatran scarf/Skarmory/Scizor or revenge killer like Bisharp/Scarf Ttar that can make it hard for Serperior, i don't think it will be a good idea to mention them.
Plus Serperior used to beat gengar with 2 leaf storms (assuming gengar come on the first one).

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
Halcyon. do you mind finishing writing this up so someone can give the final check? if not an update when would be much obliged.
Sorry buddy, my computer has been on the fritz the last week so I haven't been on at all, but I'll try to write it up on my phone either tonight or tomorrow.

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'd also take Glare from OO and put it into Set Details. I think you should also give a mention of Leftovers on the All-Out-Attacker set, although you lose out on I believe the Latios OHKO at +2, you gain some nice longevity, especially if your Serp is gonna be taking Scalds or facing Stall.

I'd also mention in Usage Tips to avoid spamming Leaf Storm (or having Serp attack in general, I guess) too much early game! Its low PP is something that can easily be taken advantage of

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Adding on to what Tokyo Tom said I'd throw Meadow Plate in OO as well for both the longevity reason, to an extent, and the ability to still gain boost Leaf Storm. Comes back to the longevity factor really which can be somewhat annoying for Serperior in longer matches when using Life Orb as stated above me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)