Project ORAS Rarely Used Teambuilding Competition v69 [Nominations]

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.

I took this over b/c why not

approved by atomicllamas (read my edited rules thingy btw!!!)

Hello and welcome to the second (I'm not going back and counting how many failed versions of this thread exist, sue me) edition of the Rarelyused Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced RU players (hue) go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of two Pokemon (or only one Pokemon sometimes). It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! After the submission period is over (which will be after around give or take a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get a couple of days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core.

Some rules I'm expecting people to follow:
  • Make the post presentable. Fancy cute sprites are encouraged so long as they aren't as wide as Kim Kardashian's ass, but be sure to provide a link for other users so that they may use them in the future.
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core. If I wanted to look at a pastebin of some mediocre team, I would go to the RMT forum and hunt for the locked threads made by users with such pristine names like Pikachu77.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things or suggest changes that will make the team better. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jackass.
  • Use hide tags when posting your team. Don't be that douchebag that makes everyone scroll down for an extra 5 seconds. No one likes that, and they won't like you afterwards.
  • Be creative! While there'll be no restrictions this time around, try to explore uncommon Pokemon if circumstances allow it. Channel your inner hipster.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people (i.e. you realize it sucks or gets 6-0ed by something), however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post. Once the voting period begins however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.
  • You might get a badge if you keep doing this shit (badge whores, take note)

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, i'm probably not going to post a team this round, but what i *will* do is give you guys some food for thought on how to use Quagsire to the fullest!

1) Quagsire isn't exactly the most immediately threatening Pokemon around, it's a little bit of a momentum killer, and the fact that it needs to spam Recover quite a bit against harder hitters certainly doesn't help in that regard. Because of this, i don't think Quagsire would fit very well on offense/. I'd heavily advise all of you to try and build more defensive teams (so like balance/stall, etc) if you want to make an effective quaggy squad.

2) Given Quagsire needs to avoid Grass-type moves like the plague, you're almost certainly going to need a solid way to get around Grass-types if you want your submission to be effective, especially considering some of the tier's current top threats include Mega Sceptile and Contrary Serperior.

3) Considering Quagsire isn't overly bulky, stronger physical attackers and most special attackers are going to be able to overwhelm or at least pressure it, Quagsire can take quite a few common Pokemon on its own, but i wouldn't rely on it to take every single physical attacker in the tier, but maybe that's just me.

4) Quagsire just happens to be a major roadblock for quite a few of the Pokemon that Cresselia struggles with, (Doublade, Drapion, Skuntank, and Trapper Houndoom are a few examples, it's a bit more shaky against Escavalier and Durant sadly). This could be a pretty good starting point for all you guys planning on participating imo.

Last edited:
Ok, seeing that anyone is posting for this competition, i built a (really bad) squad in 10 minutes but i wanna bring activity to the thread.

Bouffalant @ Choice Band
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Charge
- Earthquake
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Cresselia @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Moonlight

Cofagrigus @ Leftovers
Ability: Mummy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Rock Slide
- Recover

I started thinking that Quagsire is too weak to Grass so my first idea was introducing a Sap Sipper like Bouffalant, who can enter into that Grass-type attacks and Quagsire can burn Fight-type pokemon that can hard hit Bouffalant with Scald. Later I saw Molk said that Quagsire can control a few pokemon that Cresselia struggles with, so she came inside.

I don't like to be weak to spike-stacking teams and i was lack of a Mega. I had a strong physical attacker and I needed a cool special sweeper so I tought Pidgeot-Mega was the best option. I added Cradily because i needed a Stealth Rock setter and a Special wall. At last I added Doublade for having more physical bulk and something for fairies but i wanted to try a OTR in the late game with Bouffalant so I added Cofagrigus instead of Doublade.

I hope you like the team but its very bad, so don't use it (?)

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Toxic
- Rest
- Shadow Claw

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Earthquake
- Recover

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- Taunt

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 24 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

So stall was the obvious direction to go with quagsire, since it does nothing on balance or offense. I started out with specially defensive doublade and aromatisse added on. Doublade because every stall team p much needs your obligatory sdef steel mon, and I hate both bronzong and getting trapped by dugtrio. Aroma was because quag + alomomomomola seemed unfortunate, so I needed another wish mon, and it gets pretty sexy synergy with doublade. Next was the obvious regirock since I needed both sr and a moltres answer. Then I had my defogger slot and one filler. At this point I was very weak to camerupt and pangoro. Golbat gives me a serperior counter and a nice relatively strong check to pangoro, with the ability to outrun and crush it, although knock off and ice punch aren't /fun/ to eat. Meloetta was basically "pick a wincon that can beat camel." It doesn't like facing camerupt, but it can switch in and set up calm mind on it, at worst getting hit pretty hard to do the same to camerupt, which is about as well as stall can do vs it.

Overall I'm not really happy with the team. I'm going to be honest and say that I just don't think quagsire is a good mon in this meta. It beats a few niche threats to stall, but it walls very few things, and offers free switchins to mons like serperior that, with support to wear down golbat/doublade, can put in real work. Whenever I've used this team, I've felt stretched thin trying to beat the multitude of stallbreaking threats in this meta. But I think this is an inherent problem with quagsire stall. Quag simply doesn't beat enough of the major stallbreakers in this meta, and so the rest of the team can always be pressured by teams running multiple threats to stall, forcing you to outplay them pretty hard to avoid a loss.

I think there are multiple tweaks to this team to tailor which threats you deal well with, like using cresselia over meloetta. But all of these tweaks to me feel like they just choose which matchups you do better in, rather than genuinely improving the team significantly, so I'm ending up using my original version of this team.

Dragalge @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 200 HP / 252 SpA / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Pangoro @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Swords Dance

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Recover

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 248 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Golbat @ Eviolite
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 136 SpD / 84 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Defog
- Roost
- Brave Bird

So I decided to build a balanced team with Quagsire as part of the defensive core to deal with setup sweepers. I started this team with Dragalge and Pangoro as they are two Pokemon that I really wanted to use. Since the team was looking kinda slow and I needed a Mega Evolution I added Mega Pidgeot next, which has good synergy with Dragagle since they have similar checks/counters and Dragalge can serve to weaken them for Pidgeot. I decided to use SD Pangoro as a stall breaker for the team, as knock limits recovery (removes leftovers and can remove Eviolite from certain Pokemon. It can also get a free SD and dodge a status with it's Lum Berry. Mold Breaker is used over Iron First to get past Unaware Quagsire.

I paired up Quagsire and Golbat as the do a pretty good job of covering each other's weaknesses. I added Rhyperior to deal with bird spam and provide rocks for the team. Rhyperior is specially defensive to better deal with the likes of Moltres and Pidgeot. Even though I have two 4x grass weaknesses Golbat and Dragalge both do a good job covering that weakness.

Golbat's EVs are meant to maximize Special Defense while having enough defense to avoid a 2HKO from Jolly Mega Sceptile and enough speed to outspeed Pangoro. The 16 attack EVs on Rhyperior add a little extra omph and can OHKO offensive Drapion (if using an adamant nature). I'm still playing around with this EV spread though.

This team is a little Dragalge weak and I was thinking of using Brozong over Rhyperior to better deal with it.

phantom

Banned deucer.
no point in delaying this for the sole purpose about being uptight, so imanalt wins!!! u go gurl

next pkmn to build around is this one:

u got one week!!!

=o

i woulda went with a core, but there's so many ways to approach mega glalie that i didn't want to stifle any sort of creativity

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake
- Explosion

Moltres @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Earthquake
- U-Turn

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Sleep Talk
- Thunder Wave
- Rest

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 216 HP / 200 Def / 92 Spe
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Knock Off

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play

Balanced was the way I wanted to make the team around Mega Glalie. I started seeing what hurts Mega Glalie being Fighting and Steel-Type pokemon who can deal with him so the next member was clear for me: Moltres. Scarf Moltres is able to spam Fire Blasts, Hurricanes or scout with U-turn, thus being a great partner for Mega-Glalie forming my offensive core. The greatest enemy for that core are Stealth Rock so I was looking for a good wall that could provide Defog to the team and I selected Gligar for this function. The other member for the Defensive core is Registeel, who can spam Seismic Toss for other walls, paralyze offensive threats such us Mega-Pidgeot or Serperior and playing the status absorber role with Rest and Sleep Talk. At this point I realized that Rhyperior, Mega Camerupt hurt the team and I needed a Stealth Rock setter so I searched on NU finding Seismitoad, who can deal with this two pokes with a few support, so he came inside. At last I saw that I have a few problems with Psychic-Type pokemon, so I added Spiritomb for deal with them and being a good Trapper. In my opinion is a good team, so i would like you rate him if you want for make it better :]

Last edited:

Moon

Grossly Incandescent
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Moltres @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 104 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pangoro @ Lum Berry
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
EVs: 252 Atk / 40 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Spikes
- Freeze-Dry
- Double-Edge
- Ice Shard

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 HP / 252 Atk / 60 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Kabutops @ Assault Vest
Ability: Weak Armor
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Jet

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Knock Off

I decided to show this thread some love and drop a nice hyper offensive team I made utilizing mega Glalie. This team uses agility Moltres to either wallbreak with its strong modest LO attacks against slow teams or set up a late game sweep with agility against offense. Archeops is used as a suicide lead to get rocks up which works pretty well even though everyone expects it now. It's easy to prevent opposing rocks going up and get early momentum. Glalie serves as the teams main wallbreaker with double-edge and can set up spikes on switches to passive counters. Freeze dry is also used to smack 'mola and other waters. Doublade is still great on offense for the nice resists it provides and the ability to spinblock, so it was a natural choice with spikes. Pangoro was chosen because SD is a threat and it destroys stall. Kabutops is a nice bird check and can spin rocks for Moltres while having some offensive presences.

The team is simple, but pretty effective and fun to play.
Edit: RIP Gligar. Nice competition

Last edited:

phantom

Banned deucer.
Winner is Schaff, congrats!!!

The new core for this week is:

+
OR
OR
OR
OR

Medicham is the newest and only RU drop with some seemingly decent versatility, Substitute sets, Life Orb sets, and even Choice sets. Although Medicham doesn't seem so hot, when paired with Pursuit support (hence its partners) you have a near invincible duo, at least on paper. Competition with Hitmonlee might seem like an issue, but do try to take advantage of that Psychic-STAB, which allows Medicham to bust through Poisons and Fairys, unlike Hitmonlee.

Note: for the core, you only have to use one of the five Pokemon next to Medicham, you are not required to use them all, but you can only pick from them.

You have one week from this post to submit your teams!

Last edited:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I made a team I guess

Medicham @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt
- Fire Punch
- Baton Pass

Escavalier @ Assault Vest
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Knock Off

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 228 SpD / 24 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

Slowking @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 220 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Psychic

Virizion @ Lum Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt

Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 24 SpA / 232 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Ice Shard
- Freeze-Dry
- Earthquake

Basically I'm using a bulky offensive team that allows Medicham to clean the opponent's team late game with a Choice Scarf. Baton Pass Medicham + Pursuit Escavalier takes advantage of Medicham luring in bulky Psychic-types like Cresselia and Reuniclus (also Escavalier is much better at beating these two Pokemon than the other choices). I chose Rhyperior to set SR because in a meta without Gligar it does so very reliably, and it also serves to check Fire-types such as Moltres that could otherwise annoy my team. I realized that this core was pretty weak to Water-types and had no way to break defensive teams, so I added Calm Mind Defensive Slowking which also serves as a good check to Emboar (this spread avoids the OHKO from Reckless CB Wild Charge after Stealth Rock) as well as a Lum Berry Virizion which is a lot better in this meta game then the previous one. Finally I realized that I had a mega slot open, and Mega Glalie fit in by fucking shit up with its refrigerate boosted Double Edge and it also had Priority to pick of things that could otherwise threaten my slower team. Played a couple ladder games with it and wasn't notably weak to anything (I even played a stall team :o) I came across, Swanna was kind of a bitch though, so I bumped up Mega Glalie's speed to being above base 97s (after mega evolving) which is also useful for Sigilyph. Yeah, pretty standard bulky offense, which probably isn't the greatest, but I think Scarf is probably one of the most notable niches Medicham has, so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)