Media One Piece (spoilers!)

I just realized that the timeskip happened in 2010, which is five years ago.

It still feels like we haven't seen much yet, some flashback character coming back to live is nice i guess, Fishman Island arc seemed like fille, the same for most of Punk Hazard.
After all this time, One Piece still feels like it's building up for the grand events that are supposed to happen at some point. But i can't help to wonder and think, how much longer will we have to wait?

Reflecting this, I think the best course to follow right now is to stop reading one piece altogether for an extensive period of time, rather then eagerly awaiting every next chapter for some big event to happen. Judging from the amount of progress made over the course of the last few years, my guess the best time to start catching up again would be somewhere in 2020 at the earliest.

Last edited:

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I just realized that the timeskip happened in 2010, which is five years ago.

It still feels like we haven't seen much yet, some flashback character coming back to live is nice i guess, Fishman Island arc seemed like filler same for the, the same for most of Punk Hazard.
After all this time, One Piece still feels like it's building up for the grand events that are supposed to happen at some point. But i can't help to wonder and think, how much longer will we have to wait?

Reflecting this, I think the best course to follow right now is to stop reading one piece altogether for an extensive period of time, rather then eagerly awaiting every next chapter for some big event to happen. Judging from the amount of progress made over the course of the last few years, my guess the best time to start catching up again would be somewhere in 2020 at the earliest.
Fishman Island: not very long to begin with, but demonstrates crew's new abilities, creates a true in-depth bond with Jinbe rather than some tagging-onto-Ace's relationship, and sets the tone for Luffy's entry to the grand line when he pisses off Big Ma. Also Great Weapon Poseidon just might be important later... Just MAYBE.

Punk Hazard: yeah, filler, but developed Law + Luffy

Dresrosa: Luffy's only taking on the most evil and entrenched of the Shichibukai and fucking with Kaido... Nothing important.

Sure there is some filler, but almost all of it was great entertainment and/or useful for story development. It's just the minor fights going on now that really don't matter.

I just hope Oda doesn't decide every major character needs a full on screen fight for each arc in the future. It worked with CP9, as they were the doorway to introducing the level of power "of the world". It worked for Fishman because the point of that arc is to demonstrate the Strawhats power. It doesn't need to be in every fucking arc. I guess part of the issue is that the executives of the Dofla family just haven't had the same development as CP9 or Baroty Works. We just don't give a shit about them.

Last edited:
Burgess / CP0 are still on the island...we could see Blackbeard going to take him back and CP0 wrecking some stuff, this arc is far from over

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Burgess / CP0 are still on the island...we could see Blackbeard going to take him back and CP0 wrecking some stuff, this arc if far from over
This, and the fact that Sanji & co. are fighting Big Mom's crew atm, so lord only knows what the hell's gonna happen, or when it'll happen.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Didn't see that coming. Poison hair? Also if Cavendish can kind of control Hakuba, why didn't he at the Colosseum? Still confused as to why Bart didn't just put the barrier bubble around Gladius then barrier crush him.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
birdy-kuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnn

it's interesting to see robin + rebecca + kyros vs diamante

i was honestly hoping kyros would be enough for diamante but seeing robin get a real fight will make up for it

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I don't want Kyros to just sit there, but I'm so ready for a Robin solo fight with the finishing blow from Rebecca

Coronis

Impressively round
Did not see this coming, but definitely one of the best recent chapters. Finally, the Princess' powers explained.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
definitely forgot Jora actually got away. So next chapter the factory gets taken down / Franky beats Senor Pink probably? Then Zoro beats Pica, Diamente gets ass whooped and we get a few chapters of the doflamingo fight?? I realize this is optimistic but...

also, loved Robin being a sassy pants

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Did not see this coming, but definitely one of the best recent chapters. Finally, the Princess' powers explained.
Really...? I just thought-- oh, healing powers... Like, we had this whole princess rescue build up, and it feels like it ultimately wasn't even important to the main plot. NO ONE expects beaten opponents to NOT stay beaten in One Piece-- this is a fundamental rule of Oda's writing style (which this chapter ultimately ended up obeying) so as a result this little subplot was undesired from the beginning, devoid of tension (especially with that title) and ultimately irrelevant to the plot despite it having been built up to be centrally relevant to it. Not saying this was terrible, but I think it could have been handled better than just becoming filler and giving Leo something to do.

Also, it's really the beetle guy who saved the day by blasting the bad guys away from the tears-- everyone should really be thanking him!

Coronis

Impressively round
Nice little Senor backstory there. I'm not sure, it was unclear to me, was Franky holding back? He seems in fairly fine shape after that fight. Didn't he lose his back's vulnerability during TS too?

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yea I'm not sure why Franky's fight was such a gimmick. I guess there wasn't much to do with Senor's powers. Chapter was... fine. More disappointed that there's another break (and it said they're "expected" to return in two weeks??). I guess it's Oda's health again :/ Hope he feels better!

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

can't wait for these dumb chapters to be over with

like i get oda wants to "cover everything" in this arc simply because it is the springboard into literally everything major left in op (we got all of revolutionaries, big mam, kaido, , blackbeard, pirate alliances, and admirals / corrupt government / tenryubito foreshadowing this arc in addition to smaller things like samurai and giant country references) but damn it's because of all those hints to the future that i simply do not give a fuck if random semi powerful dude beats other semi powerful dude on DD's side...

just want zoro to beat peeka, kyros to beat diamante, and law / luffy to beat dd / trebol already

though we're probably going to have more annoying "cover everything" chapters with the tontatta princess just cause its oda and he HAS to spend a few chapters on every minor detail

Doflamingo won't lose, you can't build up an arc like this to let Doflamingo being shrekt by luffy/law with some asspull, Dressrosa is the opening to something really big imo, there is way too much to cover up, one Yonko, people who are associated with 2 others yonko in Doflamingo-Kaido and Burgess-BlackBeard, (i don't count Shanks since Luffy has no contact with him) the fight between the Revolutionary Army (Sabo) and the marine (Fujitora) etc... another war could be coming up.

At least it should be, don't disappoint me Oda, i beg you

The fight between Sabo and Fujitora ended a few chapters ago. Fujitora joined Violet and Ussop's group to gamble on Luffy winning, in the simplest sense. I don't know where Sabo is but Koala is gathering information on other kingdoms and pirates who are involved in the Black Market.

Aldaron

geriatric
Doflamingo won't lose, you can't build up an arc like this to let Doflamingo being shrekt by luffy/law with some asspull, Dressrosa is the opening to something really big imo, there is way too much to cover up, one Yonko, people who are associated with 2 others yonko in Doflamingo-Kaido and Burgess-BlackBeard, (i don't count Shanks since Luffy has no contact with him) the fight between the Revolutionary Army (Sabo) and the marine (Fujitora) etc... another war could be coming up.

At least it should be, don't disappoint me Oda, i beg you
Actually I view this almost entirely the other way lol

The Punk Hazard arc foreshadowed DD's defeat after Law beat Vergo, specifically the whole turning the world on its head if it loses a vital cog like him.

His defeat could cause a drastic transition to many potential storylines foreshadowed in Dressrosa itself. Kaidou could make moves on the SHs (remember that Kaido is also related to the samurai country, as when he was mentioned both kinemon and momonosuke flipped out) because they destroyed his devil fruit source; Big Mam might decide to go after the SHs for CC / Exploding box delivered to her from Fishman Island / Luffy's challenge; we might get a corrupt government arc since CP0 is there and DD is related to the tenryubito (and their treasure).

I view Dressrosa as a springboard to the rest of the REAL new world arcs, so I almost see DD's defeat as inevitable / necessary.

Jimbo

take me anywhere
I agree with Aldaron, Dof is gonna go down. Oda is painting him as the most evil character we've seen so far. I think it'd be an asspull if he got away and had to be dealt with later. UNLESS he gets away only get get ass stomped by Kaidou (they have Mansherry back and the factory is going down soon, Dof is done regardless)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)