Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Skipped a bunch, so don''t jump on me if this has already been mentioned :s

I've been trying to collect all of the Alt. trophies for the characters, and was wondering whether there was a surefire way to collect them besides buying them in the Trophy Shop? (Perhaps akin to the Final Smash trophies and Character trophies earned from All-Star and Classic, respectively)

And in addition: Looking at the 3DS trophies it seems that they have different Alt. trophies than the Wii U version. Does this mean that they have different Alt. Trophies, or does the Wii U have more than one?

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
The alt trophies can only be obtained from the shop as far as I know. I'm not 100% sure what actually triggers each trophy appearing in the shop, but based on what I experienced I think you need to obtain at least one of each character's other trophies (regular or Final Smash) before the corresponding alt trophy can be bought, which means having to complete either Classic or All-Star with the entire cast to get all of them, including the Miis.

Each version only has one alt trophy per character. They look different in each version but their descriptions are mostly the same.

So I'm working on a set of Pokemon-based stages for SmashU. I have about 24 stages right now, 4 for each region, but I'm looking to have 5 or 6 per region and wanna see what locations from Pokemon people think would be cool as stages. As of right now I have a dearth of Pokemon routes for example (I only have Hoenn Route 112), so does anyone have any suggestions as to what routes or other locations would look good or interesting as stages? What I have so far: http://imgur.com/a/RyBGp

EDIT: 36 stages, 6 per region, now with grid maps.

Last edited:
So I'm working on a set of Pokemon-based stages for SmashU. I have about 24 stages right now, 4 for each region, but I'm looking to have 5 or 6 per region and wanna see what locations from Pokemon people think would be cool as stages. As of right now I have a dearth of Pokemon routes for example (I only have Hoenn Route 112), so does anyone have any suggestions as to what routes or other locations would look good or interesting as stages? What I have so far: http://imgur.com/a/RyBGp
Here's what I have in terms of pokémon stages:

Hall of Origin (D/P/Pt)

Glitch City (R/B/Y)

thats what you call a combo...?

thats literally the same move being used 3 times thats been done 5000 times.
It combos into itself, and it's not as easy to do that as it looks. Notice the fastfall after the first one? She had to get right back up there before the hitstun ended so she could keep it going, or else he would have been able to airdodge and escape.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
That would be fine if they didn't have to shut down APEX because of the parking garage partially collapsing...

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yeah, they pulled the alarm because of the collapse. Or at least that's what I gathered from the giant stream on my Twitter.

Edit: According to an article, one of the ballrooms collapsed...

Last edited:
Holy shit these Sm4sh finals at Apex are the worst.
Every FGC/videogaming related Apex thread on forums I follow is shitting on it lol.

Terrible showing for this game in it's first really big tournament, Leffen's tweets are 100% right.

Curious to see if this game will outlive the hate or slowly die off like Brawl did when that started to get campy, hopefully other tournaments will learn from this and do two streams for melee/sm4sh and do bo3 instead of bo5 for 4.

Atleast Diddy vs Diddy isn't that bad to watch, and I actually liked pools, maybe it's just Sheik/Sonic/Dabuz that slow this game down to a bog.

Edit: Thank god for the quick 3-0 GF blowout, praise be to Zero/Diddy.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I didn't see Sm4sh, so what happened?

Nonetheless, like Brawl I rather think that the problem isn't so much the game as it is the metagame, players, rules. I don't know Sm4sh but I know Brawl runs the same time limit as Melee (and one less stock), so what's the deal? Obviously, Brawl matches tend to push time much more but if the time is a fucking problem then why the fuck don't you use a lower time limit? I mean come on, that's the reason it exists!

Edit: also lower stocks to accomodate if you don't want most games going to time; two stocks, five/six minutes for Brawl? Hell, even Melee could stand to drop the timer 1-2 minutes if, theoretically, every game going to time makes the tournament too long. (That means your timer is too generous.) I've personally never seen a Melee tourney match even go to time anyway, few even go to six minutes.

Last edited:
I didn't see Sm4sh, so what happened?

Nonetheless, like Brawl I rather think that the problem isn't so much the game as it is the metagame, players, rules. I don't know Sm4sh but I know Brawl runs the same time limit as Melee (and one less stock), so what's the deal? Obviously, Brawl matches tend to push time much more but if the time is a fucking problem then why the fuck don't you use a lower time limit? I mean come on, that's the reason it exists!

Edit: also lower stocks to accomodate if you don't want most games going to time; two stocks, five/six minutes for Brawl? Hell, even Melee could stand to drop the timer 1-2 minutes if, theoretically, every game going to time makes the tournament too long. (That means your timer is too generous.) I've personally never seen a Melee tourney match even go to time anyway, few even go to six minutes.
Biggest issue was it going into bo5 way too early, especially with the entire tournament being behind already and people being really excited for Melee top 8. Combine this with the fact that the person who placed second played a really campy and boring style and it just made for a bad look.

Pools were decent, it could have promise for a decent showing at evo aslong as those boring playstyles don't become too common.

The crowd was pretty disrespectful to Zero though after he won, and I'm saying that as someone who dislikes sm4sh lol.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Because both brawl and Smash 4 run on a flawed system that prefers defensive play rather than offensive. Once you get the lead you play back like hell, punish the opponent for having the gall to attack you. Run the timer, allow it to go. It took some time for the brawl meta to get really defensive oriented, but the illusion that smash will ever be like melee again is long gone. I will play Smash 4 for fun, but as a competitive game come on this was a joke. Melee and PM for me. No rule changing will fix this game, lowering timer will mean more games determined by %, which is lame as hell (and nobody wants sudden death junk). Cutting down the Bo# is likely the best solution.

Playstyles will only get worse once meta condenses into Diddy/Roalina/ZSS/Luigi/Sheik or whatever ends up being the norm, and that is if we are lucky. We were fortunate to have a variety this time. So much of this game is flawed, rage mod, ledge grabbing, dodging speed, shield speed, attack lag. Can you really blame people for not feeling the hype when melee is still delivering and will likely have to until Smash 5 of all thing, or when this game is finally patched to address the crippling flaws that ruin its potential.

Because both brawl and Smash 4 run on a flawed system that prefers defensive play rather than offensive. Once you get the lead you play back like hell, punish the opponent for having the gall to attack you. Run the timer, allow it to go. It took some time for the brawl meta to get really defensive oriented, but the illusion that smash will ever be like melee again is long gone. I will play Smash 4 for fun, but as a competitive game come on this was a joke. Melee and PM for me. No rule changing will fix this game, lowering timer will mean more games determined by %, which is lame as hell (and nobody wants sudden death junk). Cutting down the Bo# is likely the best solution.

Playstyles will only get worse once meta condenses into Diddy/Roalina/ZSS/Luigi/Sheik or whatever ends up being the norm, and that is if we are lucky. We were fortunate to have a variety this time. So much of this game is flawed, rage mod, ledge grabbing, dodging speed, shield speed, attack lag. Can you really blame people for not feeling the hype when melee is still delivering and will likely have to until Smash 5 of all thing, or when this game is finally patched to address the crippling flaws that ruin its potential.
I would be very surprised to see this happen, and if it does it probably will be in the wrong direction.

10 bucks certain characters get nerfed offensively and nothing changes in terms of defense.

But yeah, you're right and I've posted in this very thread that my issues with Smash 4 are that the developers have been dumbing down offense while continually buffing offense ever since Brawl.
Something is wrong when the most exciting thing I saw for Smash 4 in top 8 was a Diddy ditto.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I saw this coming.

I like Brawl about as much as Melee, whether the gameplay is fast or floaty its all good. But every character feels like a rock in smash 4. Also the new characters suck dick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)