SPL UU Mega-Thread

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I misplayed with my glig early on (shoulda just stalled out sacred fire), and was playing behind pretty much all game after that while also having a pretty bad matchup. Wasn't much I was gonna do anyway. Bugz came prepared, gg man.
Iunno I thought you had a pretty good chance to win. Gettem next time, fren. Well done bugz.

I really enjoyed Meru vs JeyTheGrey . I liked Meru's team . Hippo+Stout was great to see in action , but oml this Suicune SubCmRoar , this ADV set .. I have no words .
I think JeyTheGrey did well , but he just didn't have the match-up in my opinion.
Great game guys.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
The game between Ironbullet and RadiantHero was awesome to watch. Seismitoad really showed that he's definitely a viable option over Swampert since as we saw there, the water immunity made it a massive pain for Ironbullet to deal with. Unfortunate that it didn't do too well with Scald burns though as a bit more HP on Seismitoad could have been important later on. The lure Reuniclus set also made another neat appearance, crippling Hydreigon, one of a couple things that outsped Stoutland outside of sand. All in all, I think Ironbullet played a good game and slowly advanced his win condition (stoutland) with each of his moves. Its always cool to watch games like this because late game a 100% HP pokemon comes in and just cleans up big time.

In the Ironbullet and RadiantHero game, on turn 2 crobat gets knocked off and loses no item. Is this a meta call like o ill use no item crobat as knock off bait or did i miss something or wat cuz it seems weird not to run an item lol.

Anywaysss, great bunch of games. That entei put in mad work vs nahmetas team, as pokeaim said, proving its status as a menace in the uu tier.
T-wave reun still doin dirty things to people in teh Ironbullet and RadiantHero game. Stoutland was a blast to see, Seismitoad lookin mad cute too. Got a cool lil niche in knock off and water absorb that pert doesnt have. I love all the use of escavalier, i dont see it too much on the ladder but in this amazing games it always seems like such a solid squad member. Ugh i woulda been so tilted by all those scalds that didnt burn haha

In the Ironbullet and RadiantHero game, on turn 2 crobat gets knocked off and loses no item. Is this a meta call like o ill use no item crobat as knock off bait or did i miss something or wat cuz it seems weird not to run an item lol.
Itemless crobat with acrobatics is a nice choice for not losing half your health to recoil when you bb a blissey.

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
Having a lot of fun watching all of these excellent UU games. rh vs ib was probably the highlight match so far, featuring a lot of cool mon choices in medicham, seismitoad, esca and even rh tasting his own poison thanks to thunder wave reuniclus. ib also made really good use of hippostout, (which Meru used in his own game later), cleverly planning a stoutland late game sweep, and while that's not really uncommon, it hasn't really seen much use outside of this spl week. As I said before, well played to both of you, and while rh didn't win, I think he definitely played well enough to deserve a win there. ib just played better in the end I guess

As someone who's used that extensively back in xy ru, I would've liked to seen sd pass gligar doing a bit more work for jey, but he just didn't have the match up there I guess. Still liked his team a lot though, it's just that those builds are usually eaten alive by suicune unless they are able to get toxic spikes up asap

Bugzinator vs sam was a fun game too. I actually wasn't too sold on Flygon, but it pulled its weight in a way, mostly because of entei pressuring gligar hard so early in the game (and later as well), but it was still nice to see it back to being minimally viable. Zygarde gone really does wonders I guess. Would've liked to see critdra in action a bit more, but it just wasn't possible due to the beast that entei is. in the end, I think that sam's team was too tailored to handle more defensive builds and wasn't really ready for that kind of offensive pressure. Obligatory KACAW to my mate and friend for his victory

ORAS UU: IronBullet93 vs JeytheGrey - Jey has proved himself with several good performances and remains a mysterious opponent, for what i've seen. however, ib93 has been really consistent throughout the years, and, though he's known for his use of the classical fwg cores, he showed last week that he can also run "alternative" teams and throw off his opponents. fuck dog

ORAS UU: badabing vs Limitless - i think limitless is a seriously underrated player. he was really impressive in XY UU some time after the tier was released, and is still in very good form. he brought a very unique and solid team in week 1, and played pretty well despite losing (i had a better matchup imo); yet, he was bought for a meager 3k and wasn't even considered an UUer in the SPL power rankings. badabing remains a very solid player and won last week, though with a bit of luck. i'm not sure where he got that team from (hell, he might even have made it), but he won so yeah. this should be an epic match.

ORAS UU: namehtmas vs Lowgock - lowgock is currently 2-0 and, as i said last week, he's the player i think will end up with the best record. however, i believe sam definitely can pull off the "upset" and beat him. sounds like a good match too.

ORAS UU: Bugzinator vs Meru - i always keep predicting against meru because fuck meru LOL. jk, he's a very good teambuilder and seems to have been playing a lot more maturely, and can win it. still, i think bugzy has adapted really well to the smogon UU metagame, and is a serious threat (and was the first person using yanmega in spl, bonus points for that).

Is there any reason we didn't get to see the Omfuga/Badabing game from last week? I'm interested in watching it.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
missed focus blast with noivern on snorlax = i spam boomburst
para on my emp = i could have sd'd twice, or at least done a lot more than i did (this assumes he got the 50/50 right on shit like encore)
focus blast missed with toxicroak on nidoqueen = i just play through moves and win
fireblast missed with ape on aero with blaze = i at least get the opportunity to outplay

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
I still think you're a wonderful player limitless and more creative than ever. Although I don't think badabing played badly at all it's pretty clear to me you brought the more creative team and you got unluckier than him :/

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
missed focus blast with noivern on snorlax = i spam boomburst
para on my emp = i could have sd'd twice, or at least done a lot more than i did (this assumes he got the 50/50 right on shit like encore)
focus blast missed with toxicroak on nidoqueen = i just play through moves and win
fireblast missed with ape on aero with blaze = i at least get the opportunity to outplay
jesting aside, you played a strong game and I was both flattered and facepalming at the names.

Starting to get unimpressed by these teams/ play. Im finding this to be no different than mid to high ladder matches, not premier. Im guessing the tour scene calls for different teams but all Im seeing is teams that can be taken complete advantage of but don't since the opp's team is of equal vulnerability.

Starting to get unimpressed by these teams/ play. Im finding this to be no different than mid to high ladder matches, not premier. Im guessing the tour scene calls for different teams but all Im seeing is teams that can be taken complete advantage of but don't since the opp's team is of equal vulnerability.
as far as i can see the majority of teams have been solid, even getting some new ideas and things like hippo stout popping up
maybe there is some slight weaknesses here and there but i don't know what you expect, there's 9+ weeks of this tournament, you've gotta prep for each match differently and bring whatever you think works against your opponent, it's not possible to just roll out a new invincible lord team each week
level of play has been high too, obv mistakes happen when there's pressure but they've been few and far between so far, don't see what you're getting at

Last edited:

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Bugzy is right, Gully. Team tours aren't just about making a strong team, you have to take into account a lot of factors. People try to notice patterns and playstyles so they might bring a team that counterstyles their opponents playstyle. You also use what you are most comfy with and we have a week to prepare for each match so it's not like they don't test their teams and see the weaknesses and find out how to play against them. A lot more goes into a team tour where winning actually "matters" as oppose to a ladder game.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
It may also be that you're watching the replays of these games as opposed to live coverage, GULLY. The tension is lost in the replay, as sometimes moves will literally take a minute to be made simply due to the sheer amount of mental preparation it takes to ensure you're making a good play.

I get that, yet and still comparing to other tiers even tho im not as well versed in them i just feel like that the play has been lacking some what. In other others the teams are still very strong while preparing for others playstyles. Team building is 50% of the fight, theres no point to how good one plays if the mons backing the plays arent the optimal choices. I dont mean to insult btw just my honest opinion.

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
I get that, yet and still comparing to other tiers even tho im not as well versed in them i just feel like that the play has been lacking some what. In other others the teams are still very strong while preparing for others playstyles. Team building is 50% of the fight, theres no point to how good one plays if the mons backing the plays arent the optimal choices. I dont mean to insult btw just my honest opinion.
I also think it doesn't help the fact that some of us have played each other many, many times. The "working around the opponents team" component becomes very different once you're playing familiar people and playingstyles. I'm not trying to make an excuse as to why you think the level of play has been bad, there are just so many factors that are involved in tournament play. My inexperience in tournament bouts was shown very early on in my display against meru; however, from the standpoint of myself and meru, we made the best plays we could've considering the knowledge we had of the other player. It's far too nuanced for you to make a wholesome judgement on the level of play/teams that have been presented. I really hope you get your chance to participate in an SPL so that you can see first hand the pressure that comes with facing some of our veteran UU players. It's definitely shown me that I have MUCH to learn.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Replay of the above battle: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-33894

Was a cool game, Sam really putting pressure on Lowgock with Machamp early on. Lowgock using some underrated threats like Flectchinder. Unfortunately for him, it couldn't break through Alo when Celebi was weakened. Lowgock also sporting a cool Sub-Mega Sharpedo. Towards the end Hydreigon just shows why it is a boss in this tier. Was a gg. Machamp is always annoying as hell haha

I feel like Lowgock would have had this game if he had just a little more offensive pressure. He sorta lucked out in that Sam had zero hazard control, but the only Pokemon that could really take advantage of hazards softening up the team was Sharpedo. I'm also wondering why he didn't go for the Waterfall on Diancie. Just ran the calc and I see that he needed Diancie to be weakened for the KO, moreso than what two layers of Spikes did. Funnily enough, if he had gotten that third layer, he could have KO'd Diancie there and that might have been the game, letting the rest of his Pokemon soften up Hydreigon instead of getting slapped around by +1/+1 Diancie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)