Smogon Doubles Ubers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the "show 6, pick 4, 2 v 2" format, so I wish Free Battle Doubles on Battlespot had a ranked mode. As it is now, if you want to play doubles with ubers/legends in game it will just be a bunch of kids with imperfect IV Arceus and Celebi and such, with no strategy or team cohesion. As mentioned in this thread there isn't enough support for a doubles ubers ladder on Showdown either. So I'll still play vs. bad teams on Free Doubles, because it's better than nothing. That being said, the teams are so bad that you can make a gimmicky or strange team and have success. I have no clue where else I would post asking about strategy for this format, so maybe someone can help me out. I'd like to use a team with Trick Room Mewtwo, ideally with a fast mode that doesn't rely on Trick Room being up. I am definitely using V-Create (to lower speed in Trick Room) and Helping Hand (to boost spread moves or give it priority actions if it is too fast against other dudes during Trick Room). Other than that, I don't have too much direction on where I'd like to go since the format is so uncharted and you don't know what to really prepare for besides the obvious Kyogre type spreads. I do like Ho-Oh a lot and there isn't the threat of Stealth Rock in this format, so I'm sure I'll include him. Preliminary skeleton, would appreciate any thoughts on tuning it up or who to add from here:

Mewtwo @ Iron Ball, Sassy nature, EVed to survive the common first turn big hits, Trick Room/Protect/______/_______? I could even potentially see eschewing effect. Blizzard is tempting since Victory Star makes it more accurate, and Psyshock should probably be on there. Fling would be hilarious (130 BP Dark attack with Iron Ball), but I'd have to think more about how fast he would be after Flinging to see if it's worth it. I could maybe sorta see not running Protect on him, depending on the rest of the team.

Victini @ ??, Brave nature, 0 speed IV, Helping Hand/V-Create/Bolt Strike/Protect. Even with just Brave/0 IV, it will underspeed a lot of the common stuff in Ubers without making it painfully slow.

A Fake Out user seems nice for this team, not sure where to go from here. Mr. Mime interests me because it can Fake Out to let Mewtwo get Trick Room off, as well as having Quick Guard for Victini trying to go ham with V-Create. On top of all that, Icy Wind to slow them down when I don't go for the Trick Room mode, which should happen a lot considering you only pick 4 of 6 on Battlespot. The team would benefit from Sun a lot too it seems, especially if I add Ho-Oh.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Now that the Dubers minitour is over I have some observations:

• Trick Room is really deadly with quality setters such as Dialga, Palkia, and Arceus. The former two are also great abusers with huge attacking stats/movepools and the latter can be customized to get up TR against whatever you need it to. Need a TR setter that is immune to Fake Out? Ghost Arceus. Need one that doesn't care about Yveltal? Fairy Arceus. Afraid of Mawile/Xerneas? Steel Arceus. There are plenty of good abusers too such as Mega Mawile for huge Fairy/Dark hits against a lot of Ubers, Mega Abomasnow for strong BlizzSpam, and everything in the base 90 Speed crowd. And of course, Amoonguss is as good as ever in a metagame without Sleep Clause lol, perhaps even more so because it can tank hits from Kyogre and Xerneas (though Psyshock is the most common coverage on the latter...).
  • Another common strat was Follow Me/Rage Powder + GeoXern, which works quite well since Xern can trample a lot of mons with STAB Fairy Aura Dazzling Gleam. You'd think it'd be less threatening in Dubs since double targeting and spread and what not, but here you can just slap a Ho-Oh or a Groudon alongside your deer to crush Steels/Amoonguss while the other Pokemon has to deal with getting nuked with STAB Moonblast/Gleam. Xern also has more flexibility in picking what coverage it wants - Psyshock was the most common in the tour to deal with Mushrooms. Running 2 Fairy resists per team for Xern is honestly not a bad idea.
  • You'll definitely want at least 2 Water resists per team for Kyogre. There are plenty of Water resists in Ubers though, and sun/priority/Wide Guard are useful ways to limit Kyogre's impact on the battle. That being said, Ogre is probably the most threatening attacker because of that Water Spout. SpecsOgre under TR is cute.
  • Physical attackers like Groudon, Ho-Oh, and Mega Khan/Mawile seem to have a somewhat easier time in general since Intimidate is less common, with Mawile being the only somewhat common thing with Intimidate. Burn is still rather prevalent with Sacred Fire and WoW Arceus being thrown around a lot though.
  • Ho-Oh is insanely good in this metagame with 106/154 special bulk and Regenerator basically keeping it alive forever since SR is almost never used. It hits really hard, boasts good team support with burn spreading and speed control (TW, TWave), and has good defensive typing for checking Xerneas, Steel-types, and Grass-types, all of which were pretty common. Might be worth running SR just for this Pokemon lol. Also, Safety Goggles Ho-Oh is legit. ;D
Dubers is fun and I also wish more people played it.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Xerneas is very interesting in how it affects the metagame so much. In the times I played Doubles Ubers I saw a good amount of Amoonguss and Aegislash, but things like Ferrothorn, Steel Arceus, Fire Arceus, and Scizor were also used to help check Xerneas. When I first played I was wholly convinced that Xerneas was the most powerful thing in the tier since due to not many strategies being crafted, whoever boosted first could usually wipe out the opposing team. However, as more strategies to handle Xerneas popped up and were brainstormed, it got to be something you had to really conserve and wait for the proper time to use, as opposed to where you just boosted at the first free opportunity and won. Speaking of ways to check Xerneas, I just also wanted to share an Amoonguss set I used that was very effective. It's only a slight variation from the Doubles OU set, but it's a very important variation in what it accomplishes:

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 20 SAtk / 236 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spd
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Basically the same as OU. Making it as slow as possible to check Trick Room (which as Fireburn said is incredibly potent in Doubles Ubers) and Specially Defensive for things such as Kyogre and Xerneas. The important shift is from the typical Giga Drain over to Grass Knot, with 20 EVs in Special Attack. This allows Amoonguss to 2HKO Scarf Kyogre, which is a great benchmark to hit w/ minimal investment. Grass Knot is also just better overall due to the increased weight of Pokemon in Ubers, and you've still got Sitrus Berry and Regenerator to keep Amoonguss healthy when needed so it works out well.

You forget my roar tran special :) it helps phaze xerneas with a geomancy, because it 4x resists fairy and is immune to hp fire and resists psyshock. It actually also helped me phaze out a +6 ekiller arceus vs pocket, saving me from a sweep.

Lel Iron Head (Heatran) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Protect

Courtesy of Nollan , the evs let heatran survive a +6 brick break from arceus and roar it. The rest has been put into attack to give heat wave some oomph in sun. It is also very unexpected, and sometimes, the opponent might not even attack tran while it roars them out. An unboosted, and unable to boost, xern is not a big threat anymore, while arceus has just wasted a few turns setting up.

Try it. Tran is good.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm adding a sample teams section to the OP of this thread, so if you've got a team you'd be willing to submit, either post it here or pm it to me and I'll add it (note: it does go towards the achievement tour). Be sure to actually play a bit with your teams before you submit them though, don't just theorymon

Lel Iron Head (Heatran) @ Chople Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Roar
- Protect

Lel Fly (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 28 Atk / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Lel Petal Dance (Venusaur) @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 120 HP / 252 SAtk / 136 Spd
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis

Lel Earth Power (Groudon) @ Passho Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Protect

Lel Dragon Pulse (Palkia) @ Haban Berry
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 84 HP / 172 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Spacial Rend
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Lel Shadow Ball (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 236 HP / 20 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Judgment
- Fire Blast
- Reflect
- Safeguard

I used this team in a couple of the rounds of the circuit minitour and it was actually pretty good. The evs are courtesy of Nollan, because he is a cool guy.

Basically i really wanted to use arceus-fire in dubers as it was a really good check to e killer arceus and a counter to most geoxerns. However, it was suggested that i use chople tran. It can roar them out, making them less of a threat and much easier deal with when they come in. This tran easily phazes hp fire geo xern, but can live a +2 t bolt. It can also take an SD boosted e killer brick break, phazing it afterwards. However, in e killer's case, they dont expect the roar and sometimes just boost up. The other moves are pretty standard.

Yveltal is my mewtwo killer. It smashes both mega evos with LO boosted STAB. It also works as a check to scarf ogre, damaging it before it water spouts. Moves are standard, and oblivion wing just heals so much in ubers.

Next, i added venusaur (mega) and groudon, as i realised many teams were weak to sleep, especially as amoon cannot redirect sleep powders. The idea here is not to mega evolve unless absolutely necessary, as it can double up as a chlorophyll speed demon under sun, or mega evolve and become a strong scarf orge counter. Groudon has a passho berry to allow it to switch into kyogre and set up sun, while living a water spout. It can then force ogre to switch and sub up.

Palkia was yet another kyogre check, as it was a pretty big threat. Its base 100 speed is like a godsend in dubers as well. It outspeeds so much and can t wave it to slow it down or just bash it with a h pump or spacial rend. Haban berry doubles palkia up as a dragon check, living any dragon attack and smashing them with a spacial rend.

Finally, ghost arceus was chosen as my way to check fighting types, and physical attackers in general, another e killer check, opposing status check and a way to actually hit giratina. Fire blast gets a noost under the sun. Reflect was added as a way to make ekillers attacks weaker to koed or phazed. Safeguard is a must on a dubers team, to protect from burns, para, and opposing sleep.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psyshock
- Protect

Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Trick Room
- Hydro Pump
- Spacial Rend
- Protect

Aegislash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 4 SDef / 252 HP / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Flash Cannon
- Wide Guard
- King's Shield

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Rock Slide

Just a nice goodstuff team. Mega Kangaskhan for Fake Out support as well as to bust walls in things with its power, Palkia + Amoonguss + Aegislash forming a good Trick Room core (Amoonguss and Palkia also make great Rain checks and Amoonguss is a nice supporter), Landorus-T to check fast stuff and for Intimidate which is still amazing, and Xerneas as a late game win condition with Geomancy (once its checks are weakened it's pretty much unstoppable. This team works pretty well, although it struggles with like Ferrothorn and probably some other stuff too. Overall though it's pretty nice and I enjoyed using it.

Last edited:

finally

how can you swallow so much sleep?
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
YohoE = BaE (Kangaskhan-Mega) (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Frustration
- Sucker Punch
- Power-Up Punch

YohoE = BaE (Amoonguss) @ Sitrus Berry
Sassy Nature
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Grass Knot
- Protect

YohoE = BaE (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Def / 116 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Tailwind

YohoE = BaE (Xerneas) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Mild Nature
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Fire]

YohoE = BaE (Zekrom) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Tailwind
- Bolt Strike
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Claw

YohoE = BaE (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

A slightly modified version of my first ever DUbers team, featuring the ever-powerful Earth Plate Landorus-T and double Tailwind with Zekrom and Arceus-Ghost. The team won versus Laga in round one of the DUbers tour, so it can't be that bad =]]]. The idea was to create a team that found as many opportunities to set up Tailwind as possible whilst abusing the totally broken combination of Arceus-Ghost and a pretty trollish Xerneas set. Mega-Kangaskhan is my emergency answer to troublesome setup sweepers and has saved me from Xerneas in a pinch a few times in the past, as well as maybe even being able to inflict decent damage on the opponent's team with Power-Up Punch. Amoonguss was previously a Ferrothorn (a Pokemon that I don't really like that much in DUbers @_@), and it serves as my answer to Trick Room teams as well as being a really frustrating Poke in its own right. Arceus-Ghost is my first Tailwind Pokemon, and it's really nice in this tier due to the great bulk and team support it provides. Xerneas is the odd 'mon out-- the set was something I came up with when I wanted something that could remove a lot of the things that hinder Arceus-Ghost as well as smacking certain firebirds (no, not Talonflame) with really surprising and devastating coverage. Zekrom is my second Tailwind setter and is also a great abuser of the move with strong Dragon / Electric coverage. Landorus-T switches in on a lot of relevant stuff like opposing Zekrom, Groudon and Ho-Oh and is my Stealth Rock setter, which really helps versus SR-weak Pokemon, especially considering that Defog is a lot harder to slap on a DUbers team than one might expect.
cool team. earth plate jolly sr lando is #edgy. i like it
also twind zekrom is great bc most enemies expect 3 atks+ protect or scarf and thus you get free twind setup sometimes.
also yohoE is a bae!

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 108 Spd / 252 SAtk / 148 Atk
Rash Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Protect

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Power-Up Punch
- Sucker Punch

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Protect

Kyogre @ Choice Specs
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Water Spout
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 48 SAtk / 116 Spd
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Tailwind
- Will-O-Wisp

Amoonguss @ Sitrus Berry
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Grass Knot

Recently I have been trying this team and it looks pretty solid. I have Yveltal for the extremely strong Dark Pulse and Oblivion Wing. Sucker Punch is great for what it can pick off with priority. Oblivion Wing and Protect also give a way to provide Yveltal with survivability that can really help get an extra Sucker Punch off. Mega Kangaskhan is here to do what it does best. Fake Out support gives a turn for me to fire off Water Spouts, Hydro Pumps, or even Tailwind that really helps, as not much can take constant attacks. Return is just a strong STAB move, PuP allows Kanga to set up to a frightening +2, and Amoonguss' Rage Powder helps it get that boost safely. Sucker Punch is there in case you need to get rid of a fast threat. Kyogre and Palkia do similar roles. Both have high power Water type moves that can blast through the opponent's team. As I stated, not much can take constant boost Hydro Pumps. They also have coverage to hit some of their counters. Palkia also helps me have a solid Kyogre counter. Arceus Ghost is the glue, able to sponge common hits, counter EKiller, and set up a Tailwind to help me wreck the opponent's team. Recover allows it to stay healthy throughout the game. Finally, I have Amoonguss which has great typing that lets it check many threats. It can 2HKO Kyogre and redirect moves from my teammates so they can safely attack.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HARUNO (Abomasnow) @ Abomasite
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SAtk
Quiet Nature
- Blizzard
- Grass Knot
- Ice Shard
- Protect

KEBABE (Dialga) @ Adamant Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Dragon Claw
- Iron Head
- Fire Blast

ROBERT ALFONS (Palkia) @ Haban Berry
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Fire Blast

KYLECOLE (Kyogre) @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Quiet Nature
- Water Spout
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump

FINALLY (Arceus-Ghost) @ Spooky Plate
EVs: 248 HP / 100 Spd / 160 Def
Timid Nature
- Trick Room
- Judgment
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp

DASHSPIN (Ho-Oh) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 Atk / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Brave Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Protect

This was the team I used in most of my Dubers minitour matches and it notably beat Haruno's team every time it was matched up against it. :D

Basically it's just full TR, set it up and wreck stuff with the mammoth attacking stats of Ubers Pokemon. Mega 'Snow was the main reason I wanted to use TR, the Mega Evolution gives it enough bulk to actually take hits and its Blizzard/Grass Knot hit a lot of stuff for huge damage, notably Groudon and Kyogre, and disrupt weather strategies. Dialga and Palkia are the obligatory TR setters - I decided to forgo Protect on both so I could run Fire Blast for Mawile, Aegislash, and Ferrothorn (which proved to be really helpful). I'm also running a physical set on Dialga, mainly because I was paranoid of GeoXern setting up against my mostly special team when TR when down. It's honestly not bad though, Iron Head's 30% flinch rate is useful when TR is up and it lures and kills Ferrothorns like nobody's business. Palkia gets Haban over Lustrous Orb to take Dragon attacks from Dialga and other Palkia if it needs to get a clutch TR off (which has been huge in some situations). Kyogre is a simple but very effective Specs set, with Blizzard for Hail abuse with Aboma and Hydro Pump > Muddy Water for a nuclear single target move to take down annoying Wide Guard users (or if I need to nuke something like Cress or a support Arceus). Ghost Arceus is a bit weird in that ts a "fast" TR setter, but Arceus is getting outslowed by everything in TR anyway so I saw no reason to minimize its Speed...it's also really nice to keep Khan/EKiller's priority from picking me apart, and it can burn Mawiles and Groudons. Ho-Oh rounds out the team by providing physical offense and acting as the check to the Gen 6 legends and Mega Mawile, with Safety Goggles making it bar none the best Amoonguss lure who is normally a huge threat to TR teams. It also can't be burned so it matches up very well against support Arceus formes.

This team does not like Taunt Yveltal (most people run 3 Atks + Protect though) or Stealth Rock (since Ho-Oh is relied upon to check a lot of threatening things). It also only has 2 Protect users, so you'll need to predict well and attack aggressively to get the most out of this team. Mega Mewtwo Y w/Taunt is also annoying if TR isn't up (as is X but Ghost Arceus hardcounters it).

Geomancy Xerneas Hyperoffense
Ok, so, from the battles I've had so far, Geomancy Xerneas is a monster. Dazzling Gleam 2HKOes pretty much the entire metagame, and this team aims to highlight that. The usual lead for me is Amoonguss + Xerneas. Amoonguss will just Rage Powder till it dies, or Spore when Xerneas uses Protect, and allow Xerneas to put in the most work possible. Kangaskhan's support is crucial because it stops Pokemon that threaten Xerneas with their STAB moves and such and allows Xerneas to have an easier time breaking them down. Honestly, after that, nothing much really comes into play except Kyogre. Kyogre is great because its spread moves and not the greatest ways to stop it, plus, with Dazzling Gleam, the two create a combo hitting all of the opponents and gradually wearing them down. From there, Yveltal is just a great Pokemon and is quite strong while Palkia performs well versus Trick Room teams. Trick Room teams are a bit of a concern, but with proper prediction they're not too hard to beat. What with the offensive pressure, Spore, Fake Out, and Protect all stalling it out, they prove to be not as hard as one might imagine. This team works well on the ladder and I'm going to be using it in tours, hopefully you can steal it and play around in this tier, it's quite fun!

EDIT:
Here's a replay of this team versus Trick Room, the team is nearly the same as Fireburn 's.

Last edited:
I might as well post my dubers team as i am not really playing dubers atm. I got to #1 on the first day of the ladder, was the first to break 1300 and 1400 elo and just beat others with this team. Hail is a severely underrated playstyle in dubers and i have no idea why. It beats sun, rain and so many common pokes. It is basically click and go for many games, as it is quite unprepared for.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Tailwind
- Protect

Abomasnow @ Focus Sash
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 12 Atk / 244 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Blizzard
- Ice Shard
- Grass Knot
- Protect

Kyurem-White @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Turboblaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power
- Fusion Flare

Jirachi @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 220 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Follow Me
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Iron Head

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Sucker Punch
- Low Kick

Terrakion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Substitute
- Protect

Ho oh used to be mega mewtwo y, but i got smashed by geo xern a few times. Ho oh provides tailwind to speed up terrakion and kanga, as well as aboma. Sacred fire is so good with 50% chance to burn and brave bird just plain hurts non-resists.

Sash aboma is great. It is too frail and has too many weaknesses to be used as a mega, but the hail it brings is invaluable. 100% accurate blizzards are so easy to spam and grass knot is for kyogre and groudon, who aboma underspeeds and out-weathers. The evs let ice shard do something like 11-15% to xerneas. This means a blizzard from kyu b and aboma + and ice shard next turn beat geo xern.

Scarf kyu b is amazing in this meta. It outspeeds so much and nukes with blizzard most of the time. Not much to say, fusion flare for steel types, earth power for tran, who ive used and i think is legit. Draco is ridiculous and a way to beat scarf ogre, who kyu b outspeeds.

Jirachi is amazing as well. Follow me just gives the rest of the team so much maneuverability and also is a solid check to fast threats with t wave. It also counters geo xern by t waving and 2hkoing with iron head. Mmy loses to it too. Spdef to tank the stupid special attacks of dubers. 36 spe because the ps set uses 32 and most people just click that so speed creep. (although i have never seen another jirachi, why not i dont know).

Never use silk scarf kanga. It is trash. Fake out support is so helpful in spamming blizzard and setting up subs and t waving and tailwinding. Sucker punch shits on mmy and is nice priority. Low kick destroys dialga and is good for all the heavy pokes. Return for obvious reasons. It also outspeeds the 90-99 base speed ubers pokes.

Sub terrakion is a threat. It beats hooh, it sets up subs on tr, geomancy, tailwind, protects from fake out etc. Yes hail + lo+ sub whittles away, but terrak does enough damage to justify it. Stone edge because rock slide is ass against ubers.

So yeah, use this team to win, it got a 37-0-0 win streak until someone i previously beat wised up and used hail against me

I think this tier deserves an update. ORAS has changed doubles ubers the most out of all the tiers. How many mega per battle? Do primals count as mega evolves? Does Meg-Ray count as a mega evolve? Is Meg-Ray legal?

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think this tier deserves an update. ORAS has changed doubles ubers the most out of all the tiers. How many mega per battle? Do primals count as mega evolves? Does Meg-Ray count as a mega evolve? Is Meg-Ray legal?
1 mega per team, primals are not megas (so u can have a primal + mega), idk about m-ray

Megas are obviously still one per battle. Primals don't count as megas though. Mega-ray is currently legal and does take up a mega slot.

I'm interested to see how the new Primals will do in this metagame, what with Pogre getting Origin Pulse which is basically a spread Hydro Pump, and PDon getting a stronger Earthquake.
Also with Mega-Ray not being banned in this meta, it should fare well being a huge offensive presence while also bringing support to the team via Delta Stream...
I'm looking forward to the unraveling of this meta

I'm interested to see how the new Primals will do in this metagame, what with Pogre getting Origin Pulse which is basically a spread Hydro Pump, and PDon getting a stronger Earthquake.
Also with Mega-Ray not being banned in this meta, it should fare well being a huge offensive presence while also bringing support to the team via Delta Stream...
I'm looking forward to the unraveling of this meta
Been playing with the most eZ mode team ever, tailwind + two primals and mega rayquaza destroys the ladder. It'd be cool to get good players interested in this tier, as its very fun to play.

This meta seems really pointless to me. There are basically three viable strategies:

1) Build your team to support Geomancy Xerneas. (e.g. Rage Powder Amoonguss, Fake Out M-Khan)
2) Build your team to abuse Geomancy Xerneas. (e.g. Psych Up Arceus, anything with Transform, anything with Helping Hand)
3) Build your team specifically to counter Geomancy Xerneas. (In other words, all six team members resist fairy and can hurt GeoXern.)

...and there are far more successful teams in the first two categories than in the third.

If you're running a team that doesn't fit one of these three archetypes, you might as well just forfeit every match at team preview. Geomancy Xerneas just outclasses every other threat in the meta by a ridiculous margin and every viable strategy not only uses it, but completely revolves around it.

Am I missing something obvious here? Has this changed at all since ORAS came out? I tried playing it, but quickly got bored because every team was functionally the same and on the rare occasions I managed to kill Geomancy Xerneas before it set up, my opponent just instantly forfeited.

This meta seems really pointless to me. There are basically three viable strategies:

1) Build your team to support Geomancy Xerneas. (e.g. Rage Powder Amoonguss, Fake Out M-Khan)
2) Build your team to abuse Geomancy Xerneas. (e.g. Psych Up Arceus, anything with Transform, anything with Helping Hand)
3) Build your team specifically to counter Geomancy Xerneas. (In other words, all six team members resist fairy and can hurt GeoXern.)

...and there are far more successful teams in the first two categories than in the third.

If you're running a team that doesn't fit one of these three archetypes, you might as well just forfeit every match at team preview. Geomancy Xerneas just outclasses every other threat in the meta by a ridiculous margin and every viable strategy not only uses it, but completely revolves around it.

Am I missing something obvious here? Has this changed at all since ORAS came out? I tried playing it, but quickly got bored because every team was functionally the same and on the rare occasions I managed to kill Geomancy Xerneas before it set up, my opponent just instantly forfeited.
Mega metagross, prankster t-wave, primal groudon, and many others easily check geo xern. It also doesnt get the kos it normally does woth dazzling gleam. I really dont even find it a top tier threat and never had any trouble dealing with it. In fact, it becomes more of a liability then anything to the opponent on the ladder because people like you decide that geo xern is gonna be their whole team and focus only on that while I can dismantle their team.

Last edited:
Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand
- Moonlight
- Psyshock

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Precipice Blades
- Fire Punch
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Ho-Oh @ Life Orb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Protect

Kyogre @ Blue Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Origin Pulse
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Protect

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Judgment
- Stone Edge
- Trick Room
- Will-O-Wisp / Recover

just wanted to drop this team in the thread, i feel it's a pretty good representation of tr in the meta. usual leads are cress + mawile, as mawile is the most devastating poke once tr gets up and it gives cress extra bulk with intimidate. max physdef on cress because the things aimed at it are usually life orb dragon ascents and it needs as much help as possible tanking those. ho oh pdon and pogre are 3 pretty standard tr attackers, not much to explain there. special arc-ground is really nifty as it bops pdon in one hit, which is usually the only roadblock to mawile sweeping a team. stone edge is used to majorly damage ho-oh (31.3% chance to ohko) but you can bump up the attack to 144 evs if you want a guaranteed ohko. most people tend to downplay or flat out ignore tr while teambuilding which leads to easy wins :]

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Somebody remind me again why the decision was made to allow Mega Rayquaza in this metagame?

EDIT: no seriously can we ban it

Last edited:

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I want to propose a core that seems strong enough to stop kyogre primal and
primalgroudon, can also be used in generation showdow‏n.

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Surf
- Dragon Pulse
- Dragon Ascent
- Protect

Ludicolo @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Giga Drain
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Rayquaza in addition to remove the kyogre and groudon weather is an extraordinarily offensive pokèmon. Against the sun ludicolo using fake out to stop one of the two, with rayquaza that use surf can hit all Pokemon and groudon goes ko
252 SpA Life Orb Mega Rayquaza Surf vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Primal Groudon: 712-842 (190.8 - 225.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
and whit surf you can boost ludicolo in spa atk too. this core can win alone against rain‏‏

Dead thread is dead. Just got rank 1 with this team, thought I'd share because it's pretty fun. Record is 37-4, hope you enjoy!

Rayquaza-Mega @ Life Orb
Ability: Delta Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Ascent
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance
- Protect

Mew @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Fake Out
- Transform
- Ally Switch
- Super Fang

Xerneas @ Power Herb
EVs: 212 HP / 252 SpA / 44 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Geomancy
- Protect
- Thunderbolt or whatever I never needed to click this

Arceus-Steel @ Iron Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Earth Power
- Icy Wind
- Protect

Ho-Oh @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Atk / 52 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Protect

Groudon-Primal @ Red Orb
Ability: Desolate Land
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Slide
- Precipice Blades
- Roar
- Protect

If you have any questions about EV spreads, movesets, why I chose the mons I did, or how I check prominent threats just let me know!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)