Bummer's Art Shack

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Might I ask how you go about approaching some of these projects from the start? Whenever I'm starting on a logo/banner/etc, I usually have to freewrite about it to come up with a decent composition, do sketches to figure out how to draw everything in the image, and then do a final drawing by hand and reconstruct it digitally, a process which often takes roughly... 15 to 20 hours or so total? And I feel like there are more efficient ways to go about it.
That's pretty much what I do with more serious logos and banners: Hatching an idea for setup, sketching it digitally as well as deciding on what fonts to use, and then move forward with lineart and the rest of the stages. The above banner was much more relaxed, where I just decided on the idea and then figured stuff out as I went (both the cloth sheet and the RU in the bg was conceived while working).

i figured i'd check out your thread and i'm stunned, i absolutely love your art, that crab fakemon is my favourite but all your fakemon are amazing. love the idea of a cooking pot.
all your drawings have so much character and personality in them! very inspiring!

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I would totally catch and use that carrot and use it on my team (specifically the sketch of it). The pokemon in general have nice designs and colors.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
alright some recent stuff

for a PU thread of the same name

See above description.

A Daily Draw challenge over at PS where you got to draw a randpoke with a random status move. I got Seaking and Heal Order :M

Another Daily Draw where a randpoke without wings were given wings, with some added liberty on the 'wings' part.

Poliwrath is a very awesome mon. Your artwork does him justice, indeed. How long did the car driving one take to make?

That NU banner is marvelous.

EV

Banned deucer.
Loved the contributions this issue, Bummer.

That gen 1 legendary art is probably my favorite. It reminds me of a Drew Struzan movie poster with the birds forming some heroic ensemble, Mew as a "Fifth Element" symbol required to save the world, and the eerily villainous Mewtwo brooding as he prepares to unleash his destruction across the gen 1 landscape.

Also, the juxtaposition of Mega Charizard-X with Clefairy is brilliant and really captures the spirit of VGC I think, at least from an outsider's perspective.

Was meaning to mention that I thought everything for the new issue was creative and brilliant, especially the RBY legends image for showcasing all five of the mons in a really compact and elegant way, and the VGC one for reasons aforementioned. Also, I was the only one who nominated the artwork for this and it ended up taking the top prize, so I think you owe me one, Bummer. :'c

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
has had this idea of drawing a few gen I Rocket leaders as I've always been disatisfied with how little variety there is in grunt teams despite having numerous mons with angry or intimidating appearances, so I churned one out tonight

guy in charge of grunts and recruits, runs a full-on physical offense train

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
oh hay did another thingy

Edit: Adjusted their color schemes. More blue while still warm!

fake water starter line, started with the final stage and then worked myself backwards. It faces shortcomings in how it's not as blue as the other starters, not to mention that we've already had a boar, but I've been meaning to make a starter for a culture recembling that of the celtics, so a boar with face paint is something I wanted to make. But feel free to offer your improvements below!

Name: Pigwet
Type: Water
Ability: Torrent / Thick Fat (HA)
Stats: 65 / 62 / 47 / 52 / 41 / 46
Lv-Up Moves:
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
4 Mud Slap
9 Water Gun
12 Odor Sleuth

Name: Grount
Type: Water / Ground
Stats: 80 / 81 / 64 / 63 / 57 / 57
Lv-Up Moves:
16 Horn Attack
18 Bulldoze
22 Muddy Water
28 Dig
32 Bounce

Name: Boarserk
Ability: Torrent / Anger Point (HA)
Stats: 115 / 108 / 97 / 75 / 77 / 59
Lv-Up Moves:
36 Body Slam
39 Aqua Tail
44 Roar
51 Earthquake
56 Super Fang
63 Heavy Slam
74 Hydro Pump

TM / HM - Waterfall, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Bulk Up, Stealth Rock
Egg Moves - Slack Off, Crunch, Avalanche, Ice Fang, Yawn

[23:21] %Bummer: oh, and named the mid stage Grount, Ground + Grunt
[23:21] %Bummer: pretty generic, so I welcome name suggestions on that one
[23:21] Sunfished: yeah, seems pretty "normal" :P
[23:21] Sunfished: Let me google a bunch of random stuff
[23:26] %Bummer: hogwarts
[23:26] %Bummer: owait it's neither psychic or fairy nevermind

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey Bummer, I've always loved your typography (on your banners and such), and I was wondering: how do you come up with your fonts/letterings? I was always impressed with those bars of color you put towards the bottom of your letters. Is it a custom font or do you edit letters individually, or something else entirely?

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
Hey Bummer, I've always loved your typography (on your banners and such), and I was wondering: how do you come up with your fonts/letterings? I was always impressed with those bars of color you put towards the bottom of your letters. Is it a custom font or do you edit letters individually, or something else entirely?
a fine mixture of both. Sometimes, finding the right font can usually do the trick and I just need to tinker with letter spacing, angles and whatnot. Othertimes, I can use other fonts as guidance while I draw letters of my own, or I type letters and then edit them manually. So it varies from case to case, but if you wanna know what I did in a particular image, feel free to ask and I'll try to recollect my work procedure.

Edit: dafont.com is my usual place to hunt for new fonts whenever I feel my current library won't suffice. Just type in what the text is gonna say and then you can browse their archive more conveniently since you'll see how the fonts will look with that exact letter sequence.

Last edited:

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
a fine mixture of both. Sometimes, finding the right font can usually do the trick and I just need to tinker with letter spacing, angles and whatnot. Othertimes, I can use other fonts as guidance while I draw letters of my own, or I type letters and then edit them manually. So it varies from case to case, but if you wanna know what I did in a particular image, feel free to ask and I'll try to recollect my work procedure.

Edit: dafont.com is my usual place to hunt for new fonts whenever I feel my current library won't suffice. Just type in what the text is gonna say and then you can browse their archive more conveniently since you'll see how the fonts will look with that exact letter sequence.
Awesome, I'll definitely take a look at dafont. As for your exact methods, maybe you'd be able to give a quick rundown of what you did with the PU Viability Rankings text? It seems to be the most elaborate out of the text I can see on this page.

EV

Banned deucer.
oh hay did another thingy

fake water starter line, started with the final stage and then worked myself backwards. It faces shortcomings in how it's not as blue as the other starters, not to mention that we've already had a boar, but I've been meaning to make a starter for a culture recembling that of the celtics, so a boar with face paint is something I wanted to make. But feel free to offer your improvements below!

Name: Pigwet
Type: Water
Stats: 65 / 62 / 47 / 52 / 41 / 46
Lv-Up Moves:
- Tackle
- Tail Whip
4 Mud Slap
9 Water Gun
12 Odor Sleuth

Name: Grount
Stats: 80 / 81 / 64 / 63 / 57 / 57
Lv-Up Moves:
16 Horn Attack
18 Bulldoze
22 Muddy Water
28 Dig
32 Bounce

Name: Boarserk
Ability: Torrent / Anger Point (HA)
Stats: 115 / 108 / 97 / 75 / 77 / 59
Lv-Up Moves:
36 Body Slam
39 Aqua Tail
44 Roar
51 Earthquake
56 Super Fang
63 Heavy Slam
74 Hydro Pump

TM / HM - Waterfall, Ice Beam, Blizzard, Bulk Up, Stealth Rock
Egg Moves - Slack Off, Crunch, Avalanche, Ice Fang, Yawn

[23:21] %Bummer: oh, and named the mid stage Grount, Ground + Grunt
[23:21] %Bummer: pretty generic, so I welcome name suggestions on that one
[23:21] Sunfished: yeah, seems pretty "normal" :P
[23:21] Sunfished: Let me google a bunch of random stuff
[23:26] %Bummer: hogwarts
[23:26] %Bummer: owait it's neither psychic or fairy nevermind
You have the best fakemons!

I didn't get a big Water vibe from them at first. If it wasn't for the typing (and the paint I guess) it would be hard to tell by a cursory glance. What if you gave Pigwet and Grount coiled garden hoses for tails? And Boarserk is just begging for a leaky faucet snout!

I think name-wise, Drippig (literally drip+pig, looks like "dripping") could work somewhere. Spiglet could be cute for the first one (spigot+piglet). It's kinda hard to incorporate water+pig+Celt all in one, but let's try... Woadhog (woad was a plant commonly associated with the dye used in body paint+hog), which gives the Celtic flourish to the evolutionary line without overloading any particular name.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)