Status
Not open for further replies.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-204693049

can we ban terrak yet?

EDIT: here's a match from room tour finals, for all the illusion diancie haters
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-204717008
Damn, using terrak vs a stall team that isn't even decent and winning, SOOO ban worthy. Also using a bad set on even worse players in a mediocre replay does not mean the set is good. Also add to the fact that you used Diancie really badly and would have lost in any good-high level match

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
Damn, using terrak vs a stall team that isn't even decent and winning, SOOO ban worthy. Also using a bad set on even worse players in a mediocre replay does not mean the set is good. Also add to the fact that you used Diancie really badly and would have lost in any good-high level match
monte. me and klang(iirc) actually agree with yoman on terrak. try it out.choice band terrak 2hkos intimidate skarmory with rocks up. legit only counters are intim hippowdon and levi/regen doublade. and its speed is definitely not lacking.

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 148-176 (44.3 - 52.6%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
not guarenteed 2hko, but still, thats with intimidate. ._.

edit: in fact, id even argue that hippowdown isn't much of a counter
-1 252 Atk Choice Band Adaptability Terrakion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hippowdon: 168-198 (40 - 47.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Regardless of whether or not Terrak is op you definitely shouldn't insult the other person. Seriously monte at least put an argument or something in your post instead of just saying "oh you suck, and the guy you were battling also sucks, so lol whatever"
This. If you're going to use a lack of skill as a reason why someone's argument is invalid, you should provide constructive criticism about what's wrong with their teambuilding and any bad plays they made.

On another note, why haven't we banned chatot yet? It is literally swagplay that will sweep you straight up instead of pissing you off with substitute. Chatot allows bad players to beat better players without having to rely on any skill at all; is that not one of the definitions of broken? Can we get this piece of shit out of the meta ASAP?

Here is a replay that shows what I mean: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-204886853
My opponent's team shows his skill level, containing gems such as toxic orb chansey, serene grace iron head bounce hawlucha, and rest toxic orb poison heal suicune. Yet he manages to beat me when I otherwise would have 6-0'd him with snorlax, simply because of chatot and the confusion hax. It is really stupid and unhealthy for the meta, and needs to get the fuck out.

Last edited:

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Didn't we go over this in the previous thread already? Seriously, Chatot is not broken, just an annoying piece of shit. I wouldn't mind it being banned, but it honestly shouldn't be.

The argument isn't that it's annoying as hell the argument is that it lessens the degree to which skill affects the outcome of the game by causing a series of rng based coinflips. Like swagger, chatter comes with a lot of free incidental damage, and unlike swagger has 100% accuracy and guarunteed incidental damage, confusion rolls aside.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Regardless of whether or not Terrak is op you definitely shouldn't insult the other person. Seriously monte at least put an argument or something in your post instead of just saying "oh you suck, and the guy you were battling also sucks, so lol whatever"
Sorry, huge misunderstanding. If you read my previous posts, and see my PS logs, you know I am pro-terrak ban. But since he provided a bad replay as evidence for terrak being banned I felt the need to call him out, esp since he's made some questionable arguements in the past. That's all. I didn't mean to insult him too much, but sometimes I go overboard with the banter. I think the sets he demonstrated have some potential but he wasn't really using them properly. I don't mean to call him shitty but really there are extremely questionable plays + seemingly ridiculous reasoning for being pro-ban. At the end of the day it was an idiotic unprofessional post for me to make, and don't worry, I'm not idiotic enough to try to defend myself on that one. My apologies go to you guys lol.

edit: I want to make it clear that this is a terrible action by me, a person who kinda wants top level play and the general community to grow. And especially the professionalism to go up in the community. And I really think this is a bad way to encourage new players to improve. I don't think calling somebody a "scrub" or a "shitlord" without even giving them help is by any means acceptable. I really don't want to see such cancerous behavior in the community that we have come to avoid, especially from myself. Thank you for listening

Last edited:
If it does come to it that we intend to ban Chatot, perhaps it would be better to just ban Chatter? Yeah, that's the only thing making Chatot worth using, but if it's not a matter of how good it is anyways, that should be irrelevant, no? People who want to blast out +2 STAB Boombursts can still have their fun, and since Chatot is literally the only thing to get Chatter, we don't have to do a complex ban to remove the problem while leaving the Pokemon intact.

If it does come to it that we intend to ban Chatot, perhaps it would be better to just ban Chatter? Yeah, that's the only thing making Chatot worth using, but if it's not a matter of how good it is anyways, that should be irrelevant, no? People who want to blast out +2 STAB Boombursts can still have their fun, and since Chatot is literally the only thing to get Chatter, we don't have to do a complex ban to remove the problem while leaving the Pokemon intact.
I think everyone agrees chatter is the problem. Monte Cristo ?

Sorry, huge misunderstanding. If you read my previous posts, and see my PS logs, you know I am pro-terrak ban. But since he provided a bad replay as evidence for terrak being banned I felt the need to call him out, esp since he's made some questionable arguements in the past. That's all. I didn't mean to insult him too much, but sometimes I go overboard with the banter. I think the sets he demonstrated have some potential but he wasn't really using them properly. I don't mean to call him shitty but really there are extremely questionable plays + seemingly ridiculous reasoning for being pro-ban. At the end of the day it was an idiotic unprofessional post for me to make, and don't worry, I'm not idiotic enough to try to defend myself on that one. My apologies go to you guys lol.

edit: I want to make it clear that this is a terrible action by me, a person who kinda wants top level play and the general community to grow. And especially the professionalism to go up in the community. And I really think this is a bad way to encourage new players to improve. I don't think calling somebody a "scrub" or a "shitlord" without even giving them help is by any means acceptable. I really don't want to see such cancerous behavior in the community that we have come to avoid, especially from myself. Thank you for listening
I still find it rude, and even your apology still contains hints that I'm not a "top level player" (a "bad replay" and asking that top level play grows) despite my performance in the OM room on a pretty regular basis. The point of that replay isn't the skill, it's that theres a list of common defensive mons entirely unable to deal with terrak. No, that is not my singular argument against terrak, and YOU KNOW THAT as you mention logs, as it basically 2hkos the entire tier depending on LO/band. Before you mention doublade, the single reliable counter to terrak, that's overcentralizing and dies to scrappy. (sorry for double post but I figured I should respond to this as despite not naming me it was directed at me)

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
I still find it rude, and even your apology still contains hints that I'm not a "top level player" (a "bad replay" and asking that top level play grows) despite my performance in the OM room on a pretty regular basis. The point of that replay isn't the skill, it's that theres a list of common defensive mons entirely unable to deal with terrak. No, that is not my singular argument against terrak, and YOU KNOW THAT as you mention logs, as it basically 2hkos the entire tier depending on LO/band. Before you mention doublade, the single reliable counter to terrak, that's overcentralizing and dies to scrappy. (sorry for double post but I figured I should respond to this as despite not naming me it was directed at me)
Lol, you can choose to be offended if you want to be, but you can't really blame me for judging your skill off of what I've seen personally. I'm not going to change my opinion, just how rude I am about it

In an effort to steer discussion:

Tyranitar @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

I've been playing AAA a lot more recently, and this has been one of my favorite sets to use. The premise of this set is simple: set up and sweep with +1 / +1 / +2. This set works as an effective late game cleaner thanks to Tyranitar's high power and ability to walk over teams with its boosted Attack stat. With Unburden, Tyranitar reaches the equivalent of a fully invested Pokemon with base 167 Speed, which also means it can outspeed Choice Scarfed Pokemon below 100 Speed and tie with 100 base Speed Pokemon in terms of Speed. The best selling point, in my opinion, to using Curse is the Defense boost and Tyranitar's excellent typing, which prevents it from being revenge killed by BirdSpam teams. Here's a replay of this set in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-203369436.

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
In an effort to steer discussion:

Tyranitar @ White Herb
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Curse
- Crunch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

I've been playing AAA a lot more recently, and this has been one of my favorite sets to use. The premise of this set is simple: set up and sweep with +1 / +1 / +2. This set works as an effective late game cleaner thanks to Tyranitar's high power and ability to walk over teams with its boosted Attack stat. With Unburden, Tyranitar reaches the equivalent of a fully invested Pokemon with base 167 Speed, which also means it can outspeed Choice Scarfed Pokemon below 100 Speed and tie with 100 base Speed Pokemon in terms of Speed. The best selling point, in my opinion, to using Curse is the Defense boost and Tyranitar's excellent typing, which prevents it from being revenge killed by BirdSpam teams. Here's a replay of this set in action: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/almostanyability-203369436.
Good set, but not even salty that's a haxy replay \;-;/. I think you are capable of making a better example, but overall it is a great anti meta mon capable of sweeping offense hard, but I think it might struggle with stall. Also you might want to slash stone edge on one of the slots for strong STAB and overall type coverage.

Good set, but not even salty that's a haxy replay \;-;/. I think you are capable of making a better example, but overall it is a great anti meta mon capable of sweeping offense hard, but I think it might struggle with stall. Also you might want to slash stone edge on one of the slots for strong STAB and overall type coverage.
Didn't slash Stone Edge because its accuracy is a real bummer haha. When sweeping late game, missing an attack really sucks, so I didn't even bother n_n.

Grim

The Ghost
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well that escalated quickly. Don't really have an opinion on the ban. It was a great Pokemon, not sure if it was banworthy but whatever lol. Just one less super threat to worry about.

Snaquaza

KACAW
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Lucario is like always quite strong. It can use -ates, scrappy and Tough Claws to boost its great priority in Extremespeed and Close Combat gets buffed by two of them as well. Its speed holds it back a little, but it's Extreme Speed is strong enough to put in work against a lot of quicker Pokemon.

It's not really taking its place though as Luke has always been incredible

Luke is really good as snaq said it can be great physical with adaptability ates or tough claws a great special with mega launcher or sheer force and also a great mixed too

It can't exactly hold a candle to Terrakion, but Mienshao (of all things) comes the closest in terms of launching high-powered physical Fighting moves at reasonable speed. Terrakion gets a STAB Stone Edge, a Flying neutrality (letting it take, say, one unboosted BB from offensive Skarm), Earthquake, a recoil-less Fighting STAB, and usable bulk. Meanwhile, Mienshao is better at taking Grass/Water/Ground hits, doesn't become priority fodder after using its Fighting STAB, and gets some offensive utility in Fake Out, U-Turn, and Knock Off. It even gets Baton Pass to go with its Swords Dance, Bulk Up, and (why would you do this) Calm Mind. It can run Tough claws to boost all of its attacks save Stone Edge in order to do its best Terrakion imitation.

As for a Lucario comparison: Lucario is gets priority and can run special sets (which Mienshao cannot) and has good defensive typing (FWIW), but Mienshao has the same movepool advantages (and disadvantages) over Lucario as it does over Terrakion (save Bulk Up, which Lucario does get), is a bit faster, and its STAB hits slightly harder.

I haven't tried it out, but it seems like it might be able to fill Terrakion's slot on some teams that can deal with the lack of Earthquake and want Fighting-type wallbreaker. Otherwise, yes, Lucario is probably going on most teams that were previously using Terrakion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)