Other OU Player of the Week #14: Chimpact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Banner by Skarm™

Welcome to OU's Player of the week, a project
where I interview well known players to gain insight on how they battle, as well as get to know some things about them. The goal of this thread is to have these high level players give insight to other players in this community in hopes of creating a better overall experience in the OU environment. As always, if there's someone you'd like to see interviewed, feel free to shoot me a PM. So without further ado, lets get to it!

chimpact
Most Known For: popularizing assault vest gurdurr and doublade

Favorite Pokémon: infernape

Most used Pokémon: gliscor

Where did you get your name from?
i love donkey kong country and wanted something to reflect my favorite video game character, diddy kong.

How and when did you get into competitive battling?
I was on gamefaqs in 2005 and learned about EVs and stuff. Then went on netbattle and found smogon. I lurked for a bit and then finally registered an account in 2006.

How do you feel about how ORAS plays compared to XY?
ORAS is more about being able to handle fairies/steels with the addition of diancie/altaria. before u didnt really have offensive fairies with the previous fairies being really slow [Mawile/clef/azu]

Is there anything that stands out as being suspect worthy to you?
not really. mega slowbro is really stupid tho.

What’s your favorite playstyle and why?
stall. when youre in a stall vs stall matchup you really have to understand what pokemon are necessary for you to advance the game state. there's little luck involved considering critical hits are usually just shrugged off so the better player usually wins, unless its a really poor matchup.

How did you get into YouTube, and how has it affected you as a battler/person?
I started watching some wifi battlers and really thought they weren't really showcasing competitive pokemon properly. so i decided to show these kids the ropes. i think ive gotten worse as a battler the more I youtube, but its fun so ill continue to do it.

Do you have any advice for newer players, and for Smogon in general?
get more experience playing the game and collaborate with others

What players do you look up to / are good friends with?
pokeaim is the best youtube battler,
ctc is a great teambuilder and battler. I often go to him for advice
gr8astard also fits that category, but he often shuns me when I humbly approach him(wish he was nicer to me
gr8astard
3 days ago
"piling more aids commentary to make yourself look better"

new breed is an amazing lower tier player, could have won grand slam this year but he decided to be generous and give other users an opportunity.
Mrjamvad is another youtuber thats showing promise in tour play, currently 2-0 in SPL.
shoutout key my fellow classiest memer
wepwn,thunderblunder,shakeitup are my brown idm brethren.
shoutout the rest of idm too many users to name.
also shoutouts to kratosmana for helping me test out teams n stuff

Finally, can you provide us a team that’s a good fit for this metagame and reflects your playstyle?
this is a team i have a lot of fun playing with on the ladder.

boltsnbombers (Thundurus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 48 SpD / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Nasty Plot
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]

slowpope (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave

brownentertainment (Excadrill) @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 HP / 236 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

forblaze (Charizard-Mega-X) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 56 HP / 252 Atk / 200 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

jellohotdogftw (Landorus-Therian) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 184 HP / 216 Def / 108 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

chimpladdin (Chesnaught) @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield

The team uses a pretty cool defensive core of chesnaught and slowbro to handle nearly every physical pokemon in OU. Landorus also helps with that as well. Gliscor can replace it to deal with special attackers like lando / gengar/ diancie. SR > Iron Head on drill would then be fitting. Spdef MoldBreaker exca is great to deal with sableye spinblocking to eventually spin on it when the times right. The team also has great stall breakers in zard/thundurus. Thundurus does great against a lot of playstyles because of great boltbeam coverage with the ability to boost its attack against defensive teams or speed against more offensive squadrons. A lot of players do not prepare for it and it's the main way the team wins late game.

---

There it is. If you have any questions for Chimpact, leave them down below. I'd like to thank him for doing this, and see you next week!

Last edited:

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
how comes you are having are 2006 registration date and I've never been aware of you until last grand slam's play offs?

If you were an office building what color would said office building be?

Explain, in detail, what you plan on using against PDC in the potential 4 matches you'll play him in the near future.

Thoughts on US continental 48 state: New Jersey

What's your 4th favorite food?

In one of your uploads careful listeners were able to hear baby sounds in the background.
  • Are you a father or were that siblings?
  • Why do you skip school that often?
  • boobs or butts
  • If you had to survive 1 year in Syria together with another poketuber. Who would you chose as your companion and why?

Last edited:

SparksBlade

is a Tournament Directoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Community Leader
1) were you in any part of "Planet of Apes" or you don't get along well with other primates?
2) do you think an aegi re-suspect should happen?
3) Clone should've left the channel link in OP, why do you think he didn't?
4) oldest tier you're comfortable to play for a serious match?
5) what meta/tier was the easiest to pick up(besides XY->ORAS)?
6) which award do you expect to win for Smog Awards?
7) do you have a Smogon t-shirt? will you wear it on a date?

keep chimpin ;}

haunter

Banned deucer.
1) What do you think about a potential Genesect/Aegislash retest, now that the metagame seems to be quite stable?
2) Do you think Mega-Metagross is suspect-worthy?
3) You don't seem to adhere to the usual Tournaments cliches. Do you think more people would get involved in tournaments if the environment was less toxic? If so, what do you think we could do in order to make Tournaments more welcoming to new users?

Good luck with OLT finals!

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've literally lost hundreds of battles from laddering drunk, yet I do it regularly. Have you ever done so, and does it work out for you?

Also, my friend Haunter really likes this girl, but he's too nervous to talk to her. Can you spare him some pimply advice?

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
can i get a youtube shoutout for this? =]

what do u think your chances of wining olt are?

favorite to win ost?

how do u feel about many top players losing r1 (ex aim, destiny device, the dragonknight, etc)? do u feel that this may be a foreshadowing of a major upset this tour?

favorite mega to use?

- What's chimpin'? :]

- Will you ever do Teambuilding sessions with CTC again like you did for that sash offense video?

- What could be some possible retests, if any?

- Opinion on Mega Sableye?

- On a basedness scale of 1 to CTC, how based is Quagsire?

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
how comes you are having are 2006 registration date and I've never been aware of you until last grand slam's play offs?
My first tournament was OST9
If you were an office building what color would said office building be?

Explain, in detail, what you plan on using against PDC in the potential 4 matches you'll play him in the near future.

Thoughts on US continental 48 state: New Jersey

What's your 4th favorite food?
blue

smack down tornadust, spdef rotom heat, moltres, charizard X.

nj's cool

umm... cookies n cream ice cream

What's the best play you've ever made?
What's the worst play you've ever made?
Knock Off
Acid Armor
Do you like gorillas?
Thoughts on mega garde, and mega beedrill?
yee,
gard is good, beedrill is fun
Who do you think is going to win OST?
CTC the don
1) were you in any part of "Planet of Apes" or you don't get along well with other primates?
2) do you think an aegi re-suspect should happen?
3) Clone should've left the channel link in OP, why do you think he didn't?
4) oldest tier you're comfortable to play for a serious match?
5) what meta/tier was the easiest to pick up(besides XY->ORAS)?
6) which award do you expect to win for Smog Awards?
7) do you have a Smogon t-shirt? will you wear it on a date?

keep chimpin ;}
i dont work well with others
not a fan
haters imo
dpp
lc
none
no, of course
1) What do you think about a potential Genesect/Aegislash retest, now that the metagame seems to be quite stable?
2) Do you think Mega-Metagross is suspect-worthy?
3) You don't seem to adhere to the usual Tournaments cliches. Do you think more people would get involved in tournaments if the environment was less toxic? If so, what do you think we could do in order to make Tournaments more welcoming to new users?

Good luck with OLT finals!
genesect shouldnt come back, aegislash would be weird. id like mawile tbh.
yes its coverage is incredible. Hammer Arm/ Grass Knot coverage allows it to beat so many pokemon. don't know why people use tpunh. Hammer arm beats roost users like skarm/mandibuzz, grass knot beats bulky waters. Then you can also just run agility sets vs offense. it has good matchups against the entire tier

tourrnaments last too long. OLT started in like September or something and its nearly February. the amount of players that join tournaments really make it difficult for them to end especially when you factor in time znes.
having prizzes would help too

What's your favorite battle music?
Game corner

I've literally lost hundreds of battles from laddering drunk, yet I do it regularly. Have you ever done so, and does it work out for you?

Also, my friend Haunter really likes this girl, but he's too nervous to talk to her. Can you spare him some pimply advice?
i dont drink
nor do i talk to girls.
"love is hard when you're young. Don't worry it gets better."
can i get a youtube shoutout for this? =]

what do u think your chances of wining olt are?

favorite to win ost?

how do u feel about many top players losing r1 (ex aim, destiny device, the dragonknight, etc)? do u feel that this may be a foreshadowing of a major upset this tour?

favorite mega to use?
no shoutouts
pretty decent, 2 games i lost were due to misses, crits, and bad rolls.
basedlord ctc
matchup is big in pokemon. you can only do so much if your team is particular weak to a mon
Mega zard

what do you do when your ladder team meets a quagsire?
spikes leech seed toxic knock off crit

Last edited:
Good day, here a few questions that I am quite surprised have not been asked.
1. What is your Favorite type of tea?
2. What do you wear to fancy dinner parties?
3. What is your opinion on all the uneasasery racial/sexual content posted here regularly.

Good to see someone who can actually enjoy a deeply sophisticated stall vs stall match. theyre really not that bad as long as its not on wifi

speaking of stall what are your thoughts on mega sableye? suspect worthy? is it the only thing keeping stall alive?
and what's 36 Spe on drill for?

What's your favorite gen?

What tier do you feel the most comfortable playing in?

Do you have gynophobia?

chimpact

fire nation
- What's chimpin'? :]

- Will you ever do Teambuilding sessions with CTC again like you did for that sash offense video?

Dont see why not.
- What could be some possible retests, if any?
Mawile, maybe aegi
- Opinion on Mega Sableye?
overated
- On a basedness scale of 1 to CTC, how based is Quagsire?
What's your favorite gen?

Pre B2W2

What tier do you feel the most comfortable playing in?

BW NU hehe

Do you have gynophobia?

no women are people and I have a fear of people.
Good to see someone who can actually enjoy a deeply sophisticated stall vs stall match. theyre really not that bad as long as its not on wifi

speaking of stall what are your thoughts on mega sableye? suspect worthy? is it the only thing keeping stall alive?
and what's 36 Spe on drill for?

Mega Sableye just loses to powerful attacks, fairy moves and secondary effects. Stall isnt the greatest playstyle because of matchup. There's way too many powerful stall breakers for stall to be viable. Kyurem, LandoI, Thundurus, TAlonflame, etc.

speed creep faster rotom/Venusaurr and outspeeds Lando so you can toxic/spin before death.

Good day, here a few questions that I am quite surprised have not been asked.
1. What is your Favorite type of tea?
Chai
2. What do you wear to fancy dinner parties?
standard.suit
3. What is your opinion on all the uneasasery racial/sexual content posted here regularly.
no comment
How come your instinct when a cute girl asked for your name at APEX last year was to reply "My name is Chimpact"?

wont happen again
Zutara or Kataang.
Korrasami or Makorra.

What are your thoughts on Shadow Tag?

What Pokemon type(s), in your opinion, is the most defining and/or centralizing?

Underrated Mega(s) that you feel deserve more usage.

Your favourite/most enjoyable tiers?

chimpact

fire nation
In one of your uploads careful listeners were able to hear baby sounds in the background.
  • Are you a father or were that siblings? Nephew/Nieces
  • Why do you skip school that often? I hate driving (40 minute commute), but I go to 90% of my classes
  • boobs or butts boobies
  • If you had to survive 1 year in Syria together with another poketuber. Who would you chose as your companion and why? huh??????

Hey chimpact did KratosMana helped you a lot in the past?

kratos rules ya, peep the shoutouts in the op
What are your thoughts on Shadow Tag?

stupid ability, i like how ghosts can't be trapped. good addition. unfort not enough good ghosts to utilize it. Sableye could taunt gothitelle anyway and you're using tar to trap gengar not gothitelle. mega sableye walls goth.

What Pokemon type(s), in your opinion, is the most defining and/or centralizing?

Charizard is pretty tough to build for. It can be Y or X and then you have to figure out its spread and for X if its carrying tpunch/EQ for your heatran/bulky water you caught a tough break.

Underrated Mega(s) that you feel deserve more usage.

dont really know. the megas that arent getting usage aren't getting usage for good reason.
Your favourite/most enjoyable tiers?
right now i only play OU. lower tiers are miserable because knock off is so prevalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)