ORAS OU Analysis Reservation Index - READ CAREFULLY AND ALL CURRENT WRITERS MUST READ

I think Volcarona should get a revamp since its sets changed with the metagame shifts.

For example, you need Timid and 184 Spe instead of Modest and just 160 Spe EVs.
Idk about Bulkarona either, it seems lackluster in the meta and just beaten by Landorus-T's Stone Edge (EQ doesn't kill, although it does after rocks). It's up to you guys though.

So I wanted to recommend Emboar for an analysis. I have been experimenting with a set that functions as a great lure and is equally as viable and deadly in its own right. I'll post this from the OU thread which has some replays to highlight its effectiveness.

This concept intrigues me. You know though, I can't help but figure, why not simply go the extra mile and abuse Leftovers on a SubPunch set?

Emboar@Leftovers
Reckless
Adamant 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
- Flare Blitz
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch / Wild Charge / Toxic

Substitute should be an interesting method of scouting switches the opponent makes and makes it so you don't have to waste recoil damage needlessly. Behind a Sub, you are obviously very deadly with Focus Punch being as strong as Reckless Flare Blitz is for optimum double STAB power. Sucker Punch is obviously nice for priority and allows you to threaten the Lati twins, as Sucker Punch with SR will OHKO either while they try to break your Sub after Life Orb recoil for them. The speed is for outrunning Heatran and Mega Venusaur and others in the 80 speed tier. Wild Charge is needed to break Azumarill, Tentacruel, and Talonflame without SR but that's pretty much it really. Without a boosting item Slowbro isn't 2HKO by Wild Charge, and other waters like Keldeo are handled by SubPunch just fine. It's potentially useful against Starmie too but you do have Sucker Punch or Focus Punch if it uses Reflect Type.

Finally as a last option I actually think Toxic is a good idea. This is actually your best answer for the bulkiest mofos like physical Hippowdon, Mega Slowbro without Rest, Mega Altaria without Heal Bell, Mega Latias, Dragonite, bulky Landorus-T and Cresselia. Without a power boosting item your ability to wall break is legitimately hampered. A combination of Substitute and Toxic however makes you equally dangerous against offense and stall.

I like this idea because it's a good lure. Emboar can threaten out tons of slow bulky mon and hazard setters and the threat of his powerful STABs should easily allow for Subs. This is theoretical at the moment, so I'm not sure how great in practice it'd be. It's possible this is trying to have Emboar do too much at once. It could also be a deceptive lure with the moves to handle more teach archetypes than normal. I'm curious to see.

EDIT: Here we go, here's some replays. In the second one, while there is a fair bit of hax in my favor, it still highlights Emboar as the MVP of the match actually.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206392643
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-206403818
So After a few hours playing with this thing I think it's awesome. Substitute is so fantastic on this thing, and the Leftovers makes a HUGE difference in terms of longevity due to switches you cause. Focus Punch is brutal in power, and is great because you aren't forced out afterwards like you would be from Superpower. Emboars' deadliness against balance and bulky offense is undeniable, and many things on HO hate Sucker Punch and are forced to try to break your sub. It's not as great a wallbreaker as before, but the flexibility to switch moves, priority from Sucker Punch, protection from Substitute, and the raw BP of your two STABs actually leaves you wanting for very little. This set is potentially B- honestly.
So while Emboar can make simple Choice Band and Choice Scarf sets work just fine, I think its real viability is in its SubPunch set. While Infernape has great speed and good STABs, Emboar boasts honestly impressive bulk when invested in HP with Leftovers, and its higher attack stat plus Reckless Flare Blitz and Focus Punch being even higher in BP than Infernape's STABs of choice means the power differential is severe.

252+ Atk Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 249-294 (61.6 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Reckless Emboar Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 373-439 (92.3 - 108.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Life Orb Infernape Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 220-259 (54.4 - 64.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mew: 367-433 (90.8 - 107.1%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Granted Infernape can use Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, but that initial power difference, especially considering Emboar isn't using a power boosting item, is quite apparent. Add a Choice Band and the difference is night and day. Now many would bring up why use Emboar over Victini to wallbreak? CB V-Create is similar in power, Victini doesn't suffer recoil, has superb 100/100/100 defenses, and is much faster. What Victini has unfortunately is a SR weakness rather than neutrality, and is Pursuit/Sucker Punch weak. Emboar also has priority in Sucker Punch, making it super dangerous for Gengar, Lati@s, Mega Metagross and Starmie, who are all very popular at the moment.

Emboar isn't ranked yet, but its choice sets alone were C material as is, particularly with Greninja gone. But the SubPunch set I honestly feel could be B- at the moment, which people aren't familiar with yet. I'd love to know people's thoughts on that, just tag me if you're responding to it. Thanks. :)

Aragorn the King

Literally a duck
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
CM Reuniclus has been proven to be pretty decent recently from some fairly successful use in the most recent Tour finals and a general increase in popularity recently, and though Mega Sableye is really a pain for it I'd say it's still fine. That should get an analysis, but the only set in the current analysis is a Trick Room set that is checked/walled by tons of common Pokemon (I'll be more specific if anyone inquires) and generally ineffective.
I remembered seeing this a while ago, so I decided to test out CM Reuniclus. I've been really impressed so far, as once Sableye and Bisharp* are dealt with (*potentially by a Focus Miss on the switch), there's little to stop it from CMing. It's a great win condition for stall teams, and packs both offensive and defensive utility. Against offensive teams, it's able to check/counter Mega Lopunny, Mega Lopunny, AV Azumarill, Mega Venusaur, and more, and against defensive teams, it easily switches in on Heatran, Ferrothorn, Magic Guard Clefable (it wins the CM war thanks to Psyshock), and more.

Based on what I bolded, I'm pretty sure this won't be controversial, but I'm posting all this just in case I'm using a set different from what is standard, or if you guys changed your minds. If everything is cool, I'd like to do the analysis.

So the Johto starters are getting their Hidden Abilities. Meganium and Typhlosion are really meh, as Leaf Guard and Flash Fire really don't do much to help their case. Feraligatr however, gets Sheer Force, so maybe an analysis on that in the future? I don't at all see it being a top-tier threat, but let me make a case as to why it should receive one - or...rather, why you guys should consider having it receive one.

Ideal Feraligatr set:
Feraligatr @ Life Orb - Adamant / Jolly Nature
EVs: 252 Attack / 4 whatever doesn't matter / 252 Speed
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

In addition to Waterfall, Ice Punch, and Earthquake, Feraligatr also has Outrage, Crunch, Aqua Jet, Dragon Claw, Superpower, and Agility at its disposal. Dragon Dance is a pretty good move that inc...well, you know what it does. Between Waterfall, Ice Punch, and Earthquake, Gatr can handle most threats other than maybe Rotom-W, who walls it. Sheer Force gives it free LO usage and also boosts the power of ice punch and waterfall.

But I won't overpromote this, as it has its flaws. Meh stats, slow at first, requires setup, etc. Now that I finish typing this I realize I don't see it even getting an analysis, but I figured I'd bring it to your attention.

Feraligatr has some pretty neat advantages over Gyarados, actually. It has no Stealth Rock weakness, its natural physical bulk is significantly greater (Intimidate doesn't last forever), and it can run a Jolly nature and still overpower an Adamant Gyarados. Plus, it can achieve that ridiculous amount of power without having to worry about Life Orb recoil most of the time, which in turn improves its longevity. Past Dragon Dance, it also has the option of using Swords Dance for insane damage output while boasting a solid priority move in Aqua Jet for faster threats. I could definitely see it getting an analysis.

That said, it won't be released for a few weeks, so we'll have to wait a while before we get a chance to actually test it an see how it really performs.

shiloh

is a Member of Senior Staffis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Tiering Lead
Jukain Is it possible for me to get Cacturne?

For Justification on why it should be used: (Copy and Pasting from the Viability Ranking)

It has an interesting role as a Sash mon with Spikes / Counter / Sucker Punch / Seed Bomb which punishes Landorus-T U-turns really well and can get off a Sucker or a Spikes depending on the situation. Water Absorb is also really helpful in certain situations, stopping pokemon like Keldeo from spamming Scald, and also being a good check to certain variations of Slowbro and Suicune.

Guess its going off the Viability Rankings

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)